Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Passes $26 Million

The Roberts Space Industries has a new Letter from the Chairman commemorating the news that Star Citizen has passed the $26 million mark, triggering yet another stretch goal for the space combat game. The new feature is an enhanced capital ship system, which will now work FTL-style: "Lead a damage control team to fight fires and repair key systems during battle, control internal bulkheads to slow boarders and man a number of consoles, like navigation and engineering, that will make commanding a capital ship feel even more immersive." The feature creep is not over yet, as they outline a new ship company and starter ship as $28 million stretch goals, saying (presuming this is reached) those backers who prefer the new Mustang ship to the original Aurora starter ship can choose it instead.

View
65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

5. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 4, 2013, 19:27 Mad Max RW

Beamer wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 18:51:
The scale and scope of this thing looks like a Derek Smart production. I can't imagine it being completed any time soon, running well, or taking less than a few billion people.

If they pull something this ambitious off I'll be ecstatic, but I can't really think of anyone having come close to pulling something like this off. Then again, people probably said that when they heard about GTA3 the first time.

I'll be amazed if this thing comes out before 2020.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 4, 2013, 19:25 Hellbinder

I would say the big difference is smart pretty much does it all himself and only has a few people that assist with art assets and maybe scripting.

These guys have a much bigger and clearly more talented team (overall) working on this.

I say overall because I have always liked DS's games. He has pulled off some really cool SCifi Nerdy stuff mostly himself. Obviously his games are niche and he does not have the budget for a full cadre of AAA artists and designers.

The Whales name is Bob.

3. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 4, 2013, 19:25 KTR

Linthat22 wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 18:47:
And yet ANOTHER stretch goal *sigh*

To be fair, the community voted to continue with the stretch goals.

2. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 4, 2013, 18:51 Beamer

The scale and scope of this thing looks like a Derek Smart production. I can't imagine it being completed any time soon, running well, or taking less than a few billion people.

If they pull something this ambitious off I'll be ecstatic, but I can't really think of anyone having come close to pulling something like this off. Then again, people probably said that when they heard about GTA3 the first time.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

1. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 4, 2013, 18:47 Linthat22

And yet ANOTHER stretch goal *sigh*  

65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer