Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Passes $26 Million

The Roberts Space Industries has a new Letter from the Chairman commemorating the news that Star Citizen has passed the $26 million mark, triggering yet another stretch goal for the space combat game. The new feature is an enhanced capital ship system, which will now work FTL-style: "Lead a damage control team to fight fires and repair key systems during battle, control internal bulkheads to slow boarders and man a number of consoles, like navigation and engineering, that will make commanding a capital ship feel even more immersive." The feature creep is not over yet, as they outline a new ship company and starter ship as $28 million stretch goals, saying (presuming this is reached) those backers who prefer the new Mustang ship to the original Aurora starter ship can choose it instead.

View
65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

45. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 5, 2013, 09:40 wtf_man

Meh... I put in $20 or so a long time ago. I'm only interested in the single player "Squadron 42"... and if that's decent.... I will have gotten my money's worth.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 5, 2013, 09:15 dj LiTh

Hey guys, remember that scam that happend a few years ago? What was it called? Oh ya! Star citizen! Man what a ponzi scheme that turned out to be! They'd release a few demo's with grandiose plans and the money just came rolling in! Its a shame that that almost destroyed the crowd funding model for legitimate game devs....

Ya thats my take on it, hope i'm really really wrong.

43. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 5, 2013, 08:43 InBlack

Whiskers wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 08:29:
I would be more interested in this if they posted updates on the actual game, not how much money they are making from people who really want to see a cool game. Shouldn't a cool game be the big news, not people throwing money at a guy hoping he will make said cool game?

I'll gladly save my money and wait for this to actually be released.

I am in complete agreement. Its like everyone is going: OMG look how much money were throwing at them, this game is gonna be SOOO AWESOMENESS 100xNERDGAZMS!!!

I have a nifty blue line!

42. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 5, 2013, 08:37 Verno

Cutter wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 06:00:
Cereal? This guy is claiming a million a week or every few weeks. It's rolling in like clockwork - apparently and all without any independent verification - and you guys are cool with that? Heh, ok. When the shit goes down y'all know exactly where I was on this mofo.

This isn't a charitable organization that needs an audit or something. If they lie about how much funding they have then it only hurts them.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

41. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 5, 2013, 08:29 Whiskers

I would be more interested in this if they posted updates on the actual game, not how much money they are making from people who really want to see a cool game. Shouldn't a cool game be the big news, not people throwing money at a guy hoping he will make said cool game?

I'll gladly save my money and wait for this to actually be released.

40. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 5, 2013, 08:28 RollinThundr

Cereal? This guy is claiming a million a week or every few weeks. It's rolling in like clockwork - apparently and all without any independent verification - and you guys are cool with that? Heh, ok. When the shit goes down y'all know exactly where I was on this mofo.

Oh hey another Star Citizen blurb, another post by Cutter shitting on it. SHOCKING!

39. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 5, 2013, 06:51 InBlack

Asmodai wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 06:17:
Beamer wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 19:31:

Yeah, but communities are idiots, and I mean that in the nicest ways. Communities want everything, expect to give up nothing, and think it can all be done in a short amount of time without any additional costs

Erm, the stretch goals are a million bucks apart, I'm pretty sure the concept of "additional costs" is factored in considering most other KS's raise 10's to 100's of thousands at best... \= |

There is certainly some sort of divine madness going on about this game, but you think about the resources required when you already have players freely moving around inside a cap ship in first/3rd person. The game is already covered under the original kickstart, you reckon it would cost $1,000,000 worth of man hours to build in the feature to have damage control etc? (that's 6.8 years of time @ $50 an hour)

Yeah some of it will go to salaries, some on hookers, some on blow but MOST of it will go towards hype production A.K.A. big bad old marketing. We have the hangar module, there will be the dogfighting module (World of Tanks in Space) after that though.....well for that you need some leadership, some vision and most of all a fucking well thought out plan.

Im loath to say it, but Im with Beamer on this one. Most people have no clue whats good for them. When you take that shit online and add a sprinkling of odlschool hope, another sprinkling of shine, and yet another of have-it-all goodness, you breed a type of community that will thrive on hype alone. This creates a recursive loop where hype feeds the community and their own excitement feeds the developer who in turn creates even more hype...etc. etc. Where does it end? Or better yet, when are we going to have acces to a product that is not an alpha beta or gamma test?? My guess? Never.

This comment was edited on Nov 5, 2013, 07:00.

38. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 5, 2013, 06:36 Suppa7

Flatline wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 02:57:
Suppa7 wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 20:02:
If they were smart they'd ignore their own stretch goals

Wow. You really are an idiot. Unless it's your plan to completely shit-can crowd-funded games.

Basically at this point unless this game comes with a Taiwanese hooker that sucks you off while you play (the 29 million dollar stretch goal) and is the bestest. game. ever. it will torpedo any ambitious crowd-funded project for the forseeable future, because everyone will snicker and invoke Star Citizen.

This is coming from a guy who thought there was a radical difference between space combat and FPS games. Yo moron, they both use first person view and have weapons that shoot. The only difference is mainly cosmetic such as the models and weapons. You could put a spaceship in Quake as a model and change the guns to laser pew pew and set a flag to ignore gravity/make the ship float so it could fly in 3D. Descent did this ages ago, Descent by the way is basically a space sim minus targeting controls and inertia.

They called them 6DOF FPS, space sims are basically 6DOF's with more fluff added to them.

Most people who crowd fund are morons, they will lick the balls of star citizen because they've bought into the dream. This is what people do rather then fess up that a game they funded turned out mediocre.

This comment was edited on Nov 5, 2013, 06:44.

37. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 5, 2013, 06:17 Asmodai

Beamer wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 19:31:

Yeah, but communities are idiots, and I mean that in the nicest ways. Communities want everything, expect to give up nothing, and think it can all be done in a short amount of time without any additional costs

Erm, the stretch goals are a million bucks apart, I'm pretty sure the concept of "additional costs" is factored in considering most other KS's raise 10's to 100's of thousands at best... \= |

There is certainly some sort of divine madness going on about this game, but you think about the resources required when you already have players freely moving around inside a cap ship in first/3rd person. The game is already covered under the original kickstart, you reckon it would cost $1,000,000 worth of man hours to build in the feature to have damage control etc? (that's 6.8 years of time @ $50 an hour)

36. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 5, 2013, 06:06 Ryan Lange

When the shit goes down y'all know exactly where I was on this mofo.

What do you imagine your new social position would be if your prediction comes true? Because I don't think anyone really cares, Cutter.

35. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 5, 2013, 06:00 Cutter

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

34. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 5, 2013, 04:41 Quinn

The only reason I'm slightly considering to fund this game is because I don't wanna end up with a pathetic freighter why everyone else is flying in his bad-ass ship because they did fund the game.

I just wanna wait and see if this game is actually any good before I buy it. I feel like I'm being punished for that logic.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

33. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 5, 2013, 03:21 InBlack

Cabezone wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 20:36:
Linthat22 wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 18:47:
And yet ANOTHER stretch goal *sigh*

What do you want? It's a crowd funded game and it's still new territory. This game has basically broken the record for crowdfunding a videogame. If they were smart they'd ignore their own stretch goals and just get a competent space combat game put together first, then focus on the other shit they promised.

That is actually their plan. Squadron 47 is the single player campaign that's coming out before Star Citizen. It won't be the open universe.

If they were pouring ALL of that money into Squadron 47 (and maybe some cool dedicated server set piece gameplay/missions) I would be high fiving CR, myself and all of you till kingdom come and in the process would foam at the mouth from the ecstasy. But this is not happening. Which is why everyone is so damn skeptical.

32. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 5, 2013, 03:18 InBlack

Slinkycatz wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 20:53:
This is what CR had to say about FEATURE CREEP.

"Even though we’ve fully funded the base game, every extra dollar helps to make the experience better. The content we talk about in these stretch goals isn’t “feature creep”; it’s elements we’ve been building and planning that will be all that more impressive with additional resources. In essence, you’re putting things we’ve already discussed for the future into development now. The extra funding means we’re secure in assigning resources to go ahead and begin developing that richer content we had initially planned to fund through the game’s success upon release."

Comment from 25 million milestone

Let me translate that for you...ahem: *Bullshit*

31. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 5, 2013, 02:57 Flatline

If they were smart they'd ignore their own stretch goals

Wow. You really are an idiot. Unless it's your plan to completely shit-can crowd-funded games.

Basically at this point unless this game comes with a Taiwanese hooker that sucks you off while you play (the 29 million dollar stretch goal) and is the bestest. game. ever. it will torpedo any ambitious crowd-funded project for the forseeable future, because everyone will snicker and invoke Star Citizen.

30. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 5, 2013, 02:54 Flatline

KTR wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 19:25:
Linthat22 wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 18:47:
And yet ANOTHER stretch goal *sigh*

To be fair, the community voted to continue with the stretch goals.

To be fair, the community has no fucking clue what it costs to implement some shit, let alone polish it and make it fun.

29. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 5, 2013, 02:33 jdreyer

SlimRam wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 02:07:
Ahh, NOW I can FINALLY live my virtual dream, to be a true SPACE JANITOR!

IMAGINE!:

*Walking the halls of a battle cruiser with my trusty Turbo Plunger 3000 in hand, talking to an older, retiring janitor as we head for the toilets*

"Scotty Older Janitor: Oh, enjoy these times, Geordi SlimRam. You're the Chief Engineer Sanitation Engineer of a starship; and that's a time of your life that'll never come again. When it's gone - it's gone."

I think I have just the game for you...

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

28. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 5, 2013, 02:07 SlimRam

Ahh, NOW I can FINALLY live my virtual dream, to be a true SPACE JANITOR!

IMAGINE!:

*Walking the halls of a battle cruiser with my trusty Turbo Plunger 3000 in hand, talking to an older, retiring janitor as we head for the toilets*

"Scotty Older Janitor: Oh, enjoy these times, Geordi SlimRam. You're the Chief Engineer Sanitation Engineer of a starship; and that's a time of your life that'll never come again. When it's gone - it's gone."

They always say that everyone's good at something...

I just have to find the right kind of place that appreciates nude juggling of a midget, a hand grenade, and a porcupine while playing the kazoo and riding a unicycle backwards without a seat

27. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 5, 2013, 02:00 Lord Tea

So, when will the bubble burst? LOL  
UPSA = United Police States of America

26. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 4, 2013, 23:53 Snapdad

Yeah, part of the problem is that people are going to tie in whatever number the stretch ends up being with what they imagine that kind of money should buy (in their minds...) They're bound to not live up to those kinds of expectations. Yes, you even see it here on Blues, in this very thread... Can't please everyone.

Looking forward to this regardless.

65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo