Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Passes $26 Million

The Roberts Space Industries has a new Letter from the Chairman commemorating the news that Star Citizen has passed the $26 million mark, triggering yet another stretch goal for the space combat game. The new feature is an enhanced capital ship system, which will now work FTL-style: "Lead a damage control team to fight fires and repair key systems during battle, control internal bulkheads to slow boarders and man a number of consoles, like navigation and engineering, that will make commanding a capital ship feel even more immersive." The feature creep is not over yet, as they outline a new ship company and starter ship as $28 million stretch goals, saying (presuming this is reached) those backers who prefer the new Mustang ship to the original Aurora starter ship can choose it instead.

View
65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

25. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 4, 2013, 23:03 Aero

I suspect what they'll end up with will be pretty damn good, though probably not half as good as what many people seem to be building it up to be in their imagination (not necessarily people here at Blue's, but I've heard a lot of breathless descriptions of it as something that cannot possibly be pulled off coming from other corners of the internet--sometimes from people who have paid literally thousands into it).

I've given RSI some money to help them along (something like $60 as I recall, not going nuts), but I do get the increasing feeling that this thing is growing out of control. Roberts certainly has considerable experience in the field and is probably a good leader, but I have also seen these crowd-sourced projects become toxic exercises in groupthink in the past. I don't follow that too closely, so I can only hope Roberts stays firm to his concept.

As a counterpoint, I like what I see from Elite Dangerous' development updates. There I see clear leadership, a clear design roadmap and a solid, workable idea. It doesn't have anything like the funding of SC, but what it's trying to be is an evolution of the Elite franchise, not something totally unheard of. I gave them a similar amount of money.

I'm fairly certain Elite Dangerous is going to deliver exactly what it promises (the only question being how well it's executed). I do, however, remember the Freelancer saga all too well, and SC does sound an awful lot like what Roberts imagined Freelancer would be way back when. Of course, in the end, Freelancer turned out to be a decent game, just not what what was originally imagined. What he imagined is also, of course, a lot less far-fetched today than it was 15 years ago. I just hope he learned that lesson well. I suspect that's probably the worst case scenario for SC anyways, so that's okay: we expect this unheard of, revolutionary virtual universe, and instead we just get a damn solid game. I'm okay with that. We do need people like Roberts and their impossible dreams that might not turn out to be impossible after all.

The bottom line is: if you like space sims, it's a fine time to be alive.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 4, 2013, 22:48 Kosumo

$30 million Stretch Goal - Some lube so you can take it all in. Ignoring  

23. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 4, 2013, 22:23 Slashman

EkimDeLhi wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 22:11:
$28 million Stretch Goal - The ability to fly. Like not in the game, but in real life. We've been planning anti-grav belts since the start. Soar around your neighborhood and impress your friends!
$20k+ backers only
(pewpew sounds not included)

Heh heh!

22. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 4, 2013, 22:11 EkimDeLhi

$28 million Stretch Goal - The ability to fly. Like not in the game, but in real life. We've been planning anti-grav belts since the start. Soar around your neighborhood and impress your friends!
$20k+ backers only
(pewpew sounds not included)

21. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 4, 2013, 21:46 Taskeen

So what kind of space physics are they planning on? Newtonian?  

20. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 4, 2013, 21:45 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 19:31:
KTR wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 19:25:
Linthat22 wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 18:47:
And yet ANOTHER stretch goal *sigh*

To be fair, the community voted to continue with the stretch goals.

Yeah, but communities are idiots, and I mean that in the nicest ways. Communities want everything, expect to give up nothing, and think it can all be done in a short amount of time without any additional costs.

RSI, being the project managers and the ones familiar with how long it takes to handle all this feature creep, and how detrimental it can be, should be managing this better. I mean, how much additional programming has to be done for this capital ship? They're damn near building FTL into this game. How many different things are happening each second that compete for CPU time?

It's true what you say about Communities.

They're "funding" their features by tying each new feature to a new funding level. I think the problems will come when they try to get these disparate features working together in a cohesive way. Each new feature has to work with every other features, increasing complexity exponentially. With everything they're trying to do, I expect to see a lot of bugs with each phase.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

19. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 4, 2013, 21:39 Snapdad

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 19:31:
After gaming on a mac for the past 6 years, I might have to buy a PC just to play this game.

Deja vu, it was a Roberts game (called Wing Commander, and also credit to Test Drive III) that got me to make the switch from Apple ][gs to PC so long ago.

18. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 4, 2013, 21:30 Tumbler

Rea1One wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 21:15:
I don't think this madness will end anytime soon, they will probs hit $50 million at this rate.

I expect the funding on this game to go nuclear if the Dogfighter alpha is a hit. The hangar module was released earlier this year and they've basically doubled their dollars pledged since that thing came out.

I think people are getting a lot more comfortable spending money on the game with all the content you can see in the hangar.

If the Dogfighter alpha shows up and can impress people as much as the hangar does I have to imagine that it's going to bring in A TON more people since you can actually play "the game" even if a simple death match scenario.

If they are smart they'll plan on releasing a new ship at least once a month because they're basically printing money. It sure seems like they've noticed that because the ships are coming fast now. The Gladiator, Retaliator, new Hornets, new Aurora's, there is going to be a big sale on Nov 26 which is the deadline for original backers to buy ships with LTI (life time insurance) I'm assuming they'll use that event to roll out a new ship or two.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

17. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 4, 2013, 21:15 Rea1One

I don't think this madness will end anytime soon, they will probs hit $50 million at this rate.  

16. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 4, 2013, 20:53 Slinkycatz

This is what CR had to say about FEATURE CREEP.

"Even though we’ve fully funded the base game, every extra dollar helps to make the experience better. The content we talk about in these stretch goals isn’t “feature creep”; it’s elements we’ve been building and planning that will be all that more impressive with additional resources. In essence, you’re putting things we’ve already discussed for the future into development now. The extra funding means we’re secure in assigning resources to go ahead and begin developing that richer content we had initially planned to fund through the game’s success upon release."

Comment from 25 million milestone

15. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 4, 2013, 20:49 Hanneth

Creating new ship costs $35k to $150k. $150k are more for captital ships. Stretch goals are $1m apart.
They are growing the team to allow for "feature creep".

*sarcasm* Yup, no way this will ever work out. *sarcasm*

Star Assets

They have hit the first milestone of the hanger. They are saying dogfighting will be out next month. They have already put in a really basic preview of character customization early.

Honestly, they are hitting, or slightly ahead of schedule so far, so unless they miss a major milestone like dogfighting next month, I see no reason for the current skepticism.

Yes, previous projects of his have been off the mark on timeline, but so far so good on this project, and it is being built in a way where we are seeing the pieces come together in person.

Some people compare this to FTL. FTL's scope changed, but the number or people working on it didn't. Star Citizen they are increasing the number people for art and programming as needed. They also have the work segmented really well to allow for growing the team without having people trip over each other.

14. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 4, 2013, 20:36 Cabezone

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 20:02:

What do you want? It's a crowd funded game and it's still new territory. This game has basically broken the record for crowdfunding a videogame. If they were smart they'd ignore their own stretch goals and just get a competent space combat game put together first, then focus on the other shit they promised.

That is actually their plan. Squadron 47 is the single player campaign that's coming out before Star Citizen. It won't be the open universe.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

13. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 4, 2013, 20:17 Mattly

My real concern is that they are promising to much. I would rather they just stick to what has already been promised (and that's a huge amount) and make sure they deliver a quality experience. I'm sure they can still continue to raise money without any more promises. In fact the people I know who have purchased packages, did so on only the promises made in
the original video hosted on the Roberts website and the extra goal essentives weren't part to the purchasing decision.

12. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 4, 2013, 20:15 Wildone

They gonna have to hire a whole chinese work force to satisfy the fan boy from Germany 'wants' lol omfg this is gonna be deliriously epic of a fail..Im in tho! lol  

11. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 4, 2013, 20:14 Wildone

LOL YES...  

10. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 4, 2013, 20:13 Wildone

Woohoo cant wait to play the toilet flushing mini game of the most immersive space game in human HISTORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRYYyyyYyy  

9. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 4, 2013, 20:10 Bucky

Heck the $50 I pledged is worth the entertainment I'm getting out of the development phase. If they actually release a game I'll just count it as a bonus.  

8. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 4, 2013, 20:02 Suppa7

What do you want? It's a crowd funded game and it's still new territory. This game has basically broken the record for crowdfunding a videogame. If they were smart they'd ignore their own stretch goals and just get a competent space combat game put together first, then focus on the other shit they promised.

7. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 4, 2013, 19:31 Beamer

KTR wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 19:25:

To be fair, the community voted to continue with the stretch goals.

Yeah, but communities are idiots, and I mean that in the nicest ways. Communities want everything, expect to give up nothing, and think it can all be done in a short amount of time without any additional costs.

RSI, being the project managers and the ones familiar with how long it takes to handle all this feature creep, and how detrimental it can be, should be managing this better. I mean, how much additional programming has to be done for this capital ship? They're damn near building FTL into this game. How many different things are happening each second that compete for CPU time?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 4, 2013, 19:31 BIGtrouble77

After gaming on a mac for the past 6 years, I might have to buy a PC just to play this game. If they think they can manage the feature creep, by all means keep going for it. I've architected large systems and the reality is, if you have a very strong foundation you can add features quite efficiently.

I would have no faith EA could pull this off, but I think an independent studio could because it can operate without all of the meddling. I really want to see this game be a massive success.

65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo