Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Linux Metro: Last Light Released

Steam News announces the Linux version of Metro: Last Light is now available along with the Windows and OS X editions of the first-person shooter sequel. Here's a rundown on the game:

It Is the Year 2034. Beneath the ruins of post-apocalyptic Moscow, in the tunnels of the Metro, the remnants of mankind are besieged by deadly threats from outside – and within. Mutants stalk the catacombs beneath the desolate surface, and hunt amidst the poisoned skies above. But rather than stand united, the station-cities of the Metro are locked in a struggle for the ultimate power, a doomsday device from the military vaults of D6. A civil war is stirring that could wipe humanity from the face of the earth forever.

As Artyom, burdened by guilt but driven by hope, you hold the key to our survival – the last light in our darkest hour…

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Linux Metro: Last Light Released Nov 5, 2013, 09:59 Verno

Dagnamit wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 09:07:
valve has got be subsidizing these ports somehow, right? Not that it's a bad thing to do, I just don't see why a developer would do it.

I doubt it, why would Valve give these guys money to port the game? They might be providing some developer resources and training but I doubt they're directly subsidizing anything.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Linux Metro: Last Light Released Nov 5, 2013, 09:28 Sho

valve has got be subsidizing these ports somehow, right? Not that it's a bad thing to do, I just don't see why a developer would do it.

Dunno, not that it's statistically significant or anything, but porting it is about to earn them from money from my pockets at least ...

I think the most likely explanation in this case is that these folks wrote their technology to be portable from the get-go (perhaps originally with other OpenGL platforms like OS X and iOS/Android in mind), so porting to Linux didn't take them long, and with Steam having solved the distribution and generally conduit-to-customer problem for them, why not. If you're in that kind of situation, it's conceivable that the programmer time might actually be financially justifiable.

That said, if you look at yesterday's round of Valve Steam Machines articles, Valve was indeed using Last Light to demo moving seamlessly from Windows to SteamOS. I still don't think they actually subsidized the port, but it means the Metro folks got some exposure out of porting it.

6. Re: Linux Metro: Last Light Released Nov 5, 2013, 09:19 Clever Caviar

they could be, but it could also be that the developers like Linux and want to see their games work on that OS. Could have been an experiment to see the pitfalls of inhouse porting to different platforms, or to see where the code needs to be more agnostic in future revisions. Or maybe they're testing the waters and considering setting themselves up a sideline in "will port to SteamOS for money" type of thing.

Speaking of Linux in a kind of offtopic way, and it's old stuff, but why are the Linux ports of id and Epic games not available via Steamplay?

::
Rockstar made $1 billion in 3 days with GTAV, yet they can't find the budget to port RDR to PC.

5. Re: Linux Metro: Last Light Released Nov 5, 2013, 09:07 Dagnamit

4. Re: Linux Metro: Last Light Released Nov 4, 2013, 21:59 A51Abductee

Very nice. Wish there was a sale to coincide with this release.  

3. Re: Linux Metro: Last Light Released Nov 4, 2013, 21:48 jdreyer

How does it run/look?  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

2. Re: Linux Metro: Last Light Released Nov 4, 2013, 19:12 anime is great!

It's fantastic! More more more games on Linux please!  

1. Re: Linux Metro: Last Light Released Nov 4, 2013, 18:57 Blahman

That's a pretty huge achievement, actually.  

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo