Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans

An interview with Bungie on IGN touches on why there are no concrete plans for a PC edition of Destiny, Bungie's upcoming first-person shooter (thanks NowGamer). Just as four out of five dentists recommend sugarless gum, community manager Eric Osborne explains that shipping on four out of five platforms is what's keeping development of this project manageable:

"It’s a huge challenge to ship four platforms and a massive opportunity to reach a new audience," said Osborne.

"We know there are a lot of people out there asking for PC and we know that there are a lot of gamers that would willingly give us money, but what we have to do is make sure we’re focused enough to bring a good experience to any platform that we ship on," Osborne continued.

"What we 100 percent are not going to do is spread ourselves so thin that it negatively harms the other platforms. So right now we have the four platforms, which is a lot to focus on."

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

37. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 15:20 jdreyer

ItBurn wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 10:05:
InBlack wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 10:04:
ItBurn wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 09:40:
Well it's good to get a somewhat honest answer. He seemed to say that a PC port after was a definite possibility.

Are you on drugs? Oh you mean the bullshit argument that they are not going to spread themselves so thin so as to develop on 5 instead of 4 platforms. (Despite the fact that 3 of those platforms share the same basic architecture and two even share the basic OS structure). What a crock of disinformation...

Hm no... Seems perfectly legit to me. It takes a lot of work to make a good PC port. A lot more than to port to other consoles. Sure they could have done it at the same time, but this isn't where they're going to make their money. They have these "4" platforms that they're concentrating on for that. I don't see that much BS in there.

You're saying that it takes a lot more effort to port the game in its original Intel form (XB1 & PS4) to PC than it is to the PS3 Cell processor? To me this just reeks of typical Microshaft BS of prioritizing XBone over PC. Well, it's their funeral.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 15:14 jdreyer

Guys, guys, GUISE. This is BUNGIE. Of COURSE it's going to come out on PC...

...in five years. Just like Halo.

35. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 15:13 jdreyer

ItBurn wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 09:57:
Quinn wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 09:52:
I've seen a trailer of this game, for some reason, and I gotta ask: Who the fuck wants this game anyway?

It's Borderlands. Borderlands is a good coop game. That's enough of a reason?

Okay, but we've got two Borderlands already. And they are more fun than this looks.

34. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 15:12 jdreyer

Quinn wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 09:52:
I've seen a trailer of this game, for some reason, and I gotta ask: Who the fuck wants this game anyway?

Yeah, that was my thought. Combat looks boring: like Borderlands, but without the over the top violence that made BL combat fun. Designs look bog-standard: there's the Predator looking alien, there's the Alien-looking alien, there's the giant floating spacecraft a la District 9, the giant spider-tank that looks like the AT-TE. That tank looks super powerful, but poses little threat to the fireteams who take it out in under a minute, without even resorting to cover. Say what you will about Battlefield, but you sure as hell don't stand out in the open when an M1 comes around the corner.

I will say I liked the environments, though.

33. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 14:33 KS

DangerDog wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 14:05:
These are the same idiots that said a console controller is the only and best way to play an FPS.

They're nothing but trollbait.

One developer kept PC and console players from mixing on the same server -- not for technical reasons, but because PC players destroyed the console players.

Those clumsy console controllers are just hideous compared to keyboard and mouse. Learned that the hard way with Max Payne way back when. Had both versions, no comparison.

Playing twitch games on a console is like assembling a ship in a bottle using long, thin tools.

32. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 14:29 Flatline

Someone needs to bookmark this thread for the inevitable announcement where Bungee says they're dropping last gen hardware to "focus on a completely next-generation experience" and then still blow off PC ports.  

31. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 14:18 Yosemite Sam

Definitely will not buy this for the current gen console. Probably at least a year or more away from buying a next gen console. So hopefully by then I'll be able to get it for the PC, because I do prefer to FPS on a PC, but I'll FPS on the next gen console if that's my only option.  

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

30. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 14:10 ItBurn

DangerDog wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 14:05:
These are the same idiots that said a console controller is the only and best way to play an FPS.

Ok, I change my mind. F them

29. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 14:05 DangerDog

28. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 13:56 Topevoli

"We realize our game is not good enough to warrant a $60 price tag on the PC because the variety, quality and price of the competition means we will never be profitable. Console games sell and retain their $60 price for almost their entire lifespan, even if its terrible. So we choose to play it safe"

Fixed.

I think ports to the PC are still going to be an issue. "Next Gen" still can't match "current Gen" PC's in terms of graphical power. Just like this generation, to make a PC game really stick out will require a significant effort. If they try to release the same game on all three systems the PC version will look mediocre compared to the PC exclusives released at the same time and will be ignored as "just another port".

27. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 13:56 Gadzooks

Bungie is all about the $$$? Imagine that.

Miss the days where game devs wanted to make fun games for gamers to play first, and a profit second.

26. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 13:28 Cutter

Blackhawk wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 10:25:
Bungie hasn't released a game on the PC in six years, and that one was most likely forced by Microsoft via contract as a bid to push Vista. It has been nine years since Bungie has willingly released a PC title, and fifteen since they have released one that actually did WELL on the PC.

Bungie is not a PC developer. Why would anyone be surprised that they aren't releasing their new game for PC?

Exactly. Who gives a shit about Bungie? I sure don't. They haven't been relevant to the PC for a decade. Why would you expect anything different now? They're a console developer and that's all they are.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

25. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 13:28 Verno

Trevellian wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 13:19:
How many PS3/360 copies do they really think they're going to sell with new consoles out? I sure as hell wouldn't play such a beautiful looking game on an old and busted system.

I wouldn't either but a lot of people don't buy new consoles before they're $299 or less so there tends to be a lot of overlap between gens. I would expect the PS3/360 sales to easily surpass the next gen consoles if the game doesn't get beaten up by Titanfall in terms of marketing money and attention.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

24. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 13:19 Trevellian

They could have, you know. Solved this problem by ditching the PS3/360 versions, and making it a true Next Gen title on PS4/X1/PC and only been working on 3 platforms all with the same basic architecture. How many PS3/360 copies do they really think they're going to sell with new consoles out? I sure as hell wouldn't play such a beautiful looking game on an old and busted system.

Someone at Bungie is a fucking bonehead as far as I'm concerned.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

23. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 12:28 Beamer

Whiskers wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 11:55:
I have heard several industry analyst say that games will continue to come out for the Xbox 360 and PS3 for the next 10 years. The new platforms don't have a large enough user base to warrant making games only for them.

You're misunderstanding them.
Some games will trickle out for 10 years, sure. The last Dreamcast gam was made something like 10 years after that system came out. PS2 games are still being made (though I think only soccer games at this point, but FIFA 14 and Konami's Soccer Game both came out for the PS2.)

That doesn't mean that many games will still be made. It'll be the same as any system - for the first year a ton of games will still come out for the old system, in part due to the install base, in part due to those being games that were in progress long before those systems were announced. It'll rapidly dwindle. After two holiday seasons most of the people that spend money on console games will have a new console. Yeah, a ton of people will still only have the old consoles, but it'll be people that don't spend nearly as much money on gaming - the ones that either buy used or only buy a couple of games a year. You don't get many sales making money just for that group, so even though there will be many more of them, most games will be purchased by the group that already upgraded.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

22. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 12:17 bhcompy

Whiskers wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 11:55:
I have heard several industry analyst say that games will continue to come out for the Xbox 360 and PS3 for the next 10 years. The new platforms don't have a large enough user base to warrant making games only for them.

FIFA 2014 was just released for PS2, 7 years after PS3 launch.

21. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 12:07 Kingmob

Me I think they should go to the steambox.
http://ventilationport.blogspot.com/2013/10/bungie-its-your-destiny.html

20. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 11:55 Whiskers

19. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 11:45 Ozmodan

Braindead developer will regret ignoring the PC platform. Why waste time on the ps3 and xbox implementations? A MMO is supposed to last for a while, hence pick the newer stuff and dump the old.

And people wonder why these game studios constantly go out of business, because they always think they understand financials and marketing, when they have no clue at all.

18. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 11:42 HorrorScope

Will manage without it, really it's their loss not bringing it over, they are the one turning down revenue not us. We'll have plenty to toy with and when they do get around to it... we'll see.  

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo