Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans

An interview with Bungie on IGN touches on why there are no concrete plans for a PC edition of Destiny, Bungie's upcoming first-person shooter (thanks NowGamer). Just as four out of five dentists recommend sugarless gum, community manager Eric Osborne explains that shipping on four out of five platforms is what's keeping development of this project manageable:

"Its a huge challenge to ship four platforms and a massive opportunity to reach a new audience," said Osborne.

"We know there are a lot of people out there asking for PC and we know that there are a lot of gamers that would willingly give us money, but what we have to do is make sure were focused enough to bring a good experience to any platform that we ship on," Osborne continued.

"What we 100 percent are not going to do is spread ourselves so thin that it negatively harms the other platforms. So right now we have the four platforms, which is a lot to focus on."

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

57. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 5, 2013, 10:04 Flak

Bungie is probably the most overrated developer of the last 10 years. Halo is a laughable franchise that makes Call of Duty seem legitimate and Bungie has done nothing but smear shit in the face of PC gamers since basically selling Halo to Microsoft as an Xbox whore title. As mentioned, I doubt many people would even get this if it were available on PC.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 5, 2013, 08:43 gray

Theres no point releasing it on PC because, it's some cookie cutter console FPS and they know that it'd sell like crap.  

55. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 5, 2013, 04:49 InBlack

I used to game on a console (Nintendo) but then I grew up. Well, actually I hit puberty. But ever since I discovered the PC and PC gaming, I dont think Ive looked at a console twice. True story that.  

I have a nifty blue line!

54. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 17:55 Beamer

Quinn wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 16:39:
KS wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 14:33:
DangerDog wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 14:05:
These are the same idiots that said a console controller is the only and best way to play an FPS.

They're nothing but trollbait.

One developer kept PC and console players from mixing on the same server -- not for technical reasons, but because PC players destroyed the console players.

Those clumsy console controllers are just hideous compared to keyboard and mouse. Learned that the hard way with Max Payne way back when. Had both versions, no comparison.

Playing twitch games on a console is like assembling a ship in a bottle using long, thin tools.

This. I've always had my hate-speech ready when talking about consoles and their controllers. Then my wife bought me a PS3 for my bday so she could chill on the couch watching while I was gaming. Since then, I hate and appreciate consoles more. It's a real paradox: I've realized that playing games on a console is even worse than I thought, but I also realized that it's SOMETHING ELSE ENTIRELY. You don't play console games for the immersion (I NEVER leave my livingroom); it's much more arcadey.

I watched my sister's man play Modern Warfare on his PS3. He's considered pretty pro. What I saw.. was horrible. I honestly think I would've won that match with zero deaths and all the kills if I had somehow dropped in there playing on my PC with kb/m.

Consoles really are worse than PC's in every way. I realize this now, it's more clear than ever. Ppl who prefer consoles over PC's just can't be arsed building a sweet gaming PC and invest in it, and/or just have no fucking clue what they're missing out on. True story.

Like you said, it's a different beast. I watched the NYC Marathon, and man, I could have won it in a fraction of the time if I somehow dropped in there with my car.

Part of what people like about competitive play on consoles is that it's just easy and it's mostly uniform. A better TV will help, and headphones will help, but by and large everyone is playing with the same setup. It may be a lesser setup, but everyone has the same disadvantages (as opposed to back when I used to play that voxel-based sniper game, I think it was a Delta Force game. Old reference, but my friends had to use binoculars to look for something to kill. On my much better PC, I just looked for wiggling pixels.)

Anyway, as for why Destiny over Borderlands, frankly I haven't followed this game at all but Borderlands had some of the worst vehicles I've ever used in a game. Likely an unpopular opinion here, but Halo has probably the best I've used. The Warthog is pure joy, and the other vehicles are also a lot of fun.
That's a reason I'd be interested in Destiny.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

53. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 17:39 Suppa7

jdreyer wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 15:30:
Gadzooks wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 13:56:
Bungie is all about the $$$? Imagine that.

Miss the days where game devs wanted to make fun games for gamers to play first, and a profit second.

There
are
still
games
that.

Uhh all the games you listed outside of europa are modern games. So almost all of your list is casualized modern games with the exception of one game.

52. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 17:11 Parias

You don't play console games for the immersion (I NEVER leave my livingroom); it's much more arcadey.

I do. There are plenty of singleplayer / story-oriented console games to get immersed in which I have no problem counting up right alongside some of my favorite PC titles.

Although I also just hook my consoles into my computer monitor and play everything right off of my PC desk anyways. I also tend to stick to singleplayer stuff and never really bother with competitive multiplayer gaming.

But speaking as someone who plays on PC as well as all the major consoles, I can confidently say that it is indeed very possible to become immersed in console games. Not all of them are rubbish. And I've never had an issue with the controls for games built around them - I agree that trying to play something like Max Payne on a console would be a terrible experience, but other games like Halo are designed around it and work fine for me. If a game is multiplatform, I'll get it on PC every time - but there are numerous console-exclusive games out there which really aren't that bad.

51. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 16:53 HorrorScope

Ppl who prefer consoles over PC's just can't be arsed building a sweet gaming PC and invest in it, and/or just have no fucking clue what they're missing out on. True story.

It's close to that.

50. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 16:39 Quinn

KS wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 14:33:
DangerDog wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 14:05:
These are the same idiots that said a console controller is the only and best way to play an FPS.

They're nothing but trollbait.

One developer kept PC and console players from mixing on the same server -- not for technical reasons, but because PC players destroyed the console players.

Those clumsy console controllers are just hideous compared to keyboard and mouse. Learned that the hard way with Max Payne way back when. Had both versions, no comparison.

Playing twitch games on a console is like assembling a ship in a bottle using long, thin tools.

This. I've always had my hate-speech ready when talking about consoles and their controllers. Then my wife bought me a PS3 for my bday so she could chill on the couch watching while I was gaming. Since then, I hate and appreciate consoles more. It's a real paradox: I've realized that playing games on a console is even worse than I thought, but I also realized that it's SOMETHING ELSE ENTIRELY. You don't play console games for the immersion (I NEVER leave my livingroom); it's much more arcadey.

I watched my sister's man play Modern Warfare on his PS3. He's considered pretty pro. What I saw.. was horrible. I honestly think I would've won that match with zero deaths and all the kills if I had somehow dropped in there playing on my PC with kb/m.

Consoles really are worse than PC's in every way. I realize this now, it's more clear than ever. Ppl who prefer consoles over PC's just can't be arsed building a sweet gaming PC and invest in it, and/or just have no fucking clue what they're missing out on. True story.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

49. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 16:39 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 13:28:
Exactly. Who gives a shit about Bungie? I sure don't. They haven't been relevant to the PC for a decade.

That is pretty much what I think of Bungie as well. They're a console company.

48. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 16:14 ItBurn

Flatline wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 16:03:
ItBurn wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 15:47:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 15:42:
ItBurn wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 15:35:
Remove Bioshock infinite(it's the definition of taking something and making it mass market to make more money). Add Star Citizen and other Kickstarter projects(I guess your list is only released games though).

I thought about SC, but it's open to criticism that it's just sucking cash, and also it hasn't come out yet.

Also, Bio Infinite: wow, really? A game that took almost five years to make with a unique setting, great world building, great story telling, and you think this was a mass market cash grab? I think it was an risky venture. The safe move would have been to make Bioshock 3. It would have come out sooner, and they would have had more confidence in it selling more.

Bioshock was built on top of the popularity of System Shock and was nothing like it. They probably wanted to make a new System Shock game, but no publisher would agree to it, so they made this mass market game full of linear corridors and classic Call of Duty gameplay. Granted, the story and art style was above average. The sole existence of this game is because publishers didn't want the awesome game(system shock 3), but were ok with using it as leverage for more money.

As far as Infinite goes, it still has the Bioshock name, so no diff.

Err... No. The System Shock license is stuck in limbo due to Looking Glass Studios going under the way they did. You also are admitting to knowing fuck-all about the development of the original Bioshock and passing off your fuck-all as actual knowledge.

And not to put too fine a point on it, but have you played SS2 lately? It... didn't hold up well. And it's still one of my all-time favorite game experiences. Tissue-paper weapons that break every 8 uses, having to plug massive amounts of XP into research to wield a giant stick, an incredibly clunky inventory system, and other gameplay design elements that aren't as awesome as you remember. Let's not forget the terrible, atrocious, pasted on ending that even the devs admitted was just kind of thrown together last minute ("NAH!!!" *BANG* End of game). And you accuse Call of Duty of being a corridor shooter when literally that's ALL that SS2 was. Lots of corridors and randomly spawning enemies and a piss poor combat system.

System Shock 1 was even worse. Terrible controls, about as intuitive as sanskrit, and the story wasn't as strong as SS2.

This hipster idea that old games that play like shit are somehow superior to games that play smoothly or are fun to play is kind of annoying. God forbid we smooth gameplay out so that it doesn't feel like we're manipulating spreadsheets while we have a great story experience.

Anybody can make a system more complex. It takes real talent though to make something truly simpler and improve on the gaming experience.

I really don't know anything about what happened and didn't claim I did. It was just what I thought "probably" happened. You can't deny my whole point though, that they used the name of a beloved franchise to make a more mass market, simpler game.

I personally hated SS2, but I respect it. Can't say the same for Bioshock.

I'm not asking for complex games for the sake of being complex, but I'm asking for games that at least try. Anyway, I wasn't even going into this debate. My only point was that I didn't think Bioshock should fit in that other guy's list.

47. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 16:03 Flatline

ItBurn wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 15:47:
Remove Bioshock infinite(it's the definition of taking something and making it mass market to make more money). Add Star Citizen and other Kickstarter projects(I guess your list is only released games though).

I thought about SC, but it's open to criticism that it's just sucking cash, and also it hasn't come out yet.

Also, Bio Infinite: wow, really? A game that took almost five years to make with a unique setting, great world building, great story telling, and you think this was a mass market cash grab? I think it was an risky venture. The safe move would have been to make Bioshock 3. It would have come out sooner, and they would have had more confidence in it selling more.

Bioshock was built on top of the popularity of System Shock and was nothing like it. They probably wanted to make a new System Shock game, but no publisher would agree to it, so they made this mass market game full of linear corridors and classic Call of Duty gameplay. Granted, the story and art style was above average. The sole existence of this game is because publishers didn't want the awesome game(system shock 3), but were ok with using it as leverage for more money.

Err... No. The System Shock license is stuck in limbo due to Looking Glass Studios going under the way they did. You also are admitting to knowing fuck-all about the development of the original Bioshock and passing off your fuck-all as actual knowledge.

And not to put too fine a point on it, but have you played SS2 lately? It... didn't hold up well. And it's still one of my all-time favorite game experiences. Tissue-paper weapons that break every 8 uses, having to plug massive amounts of XP into research to wield a giant stick, an incredibly clunky inventory system, and other gameplay design elements that aren't as awesome as you remember. Let's not forget the terrible, atrocious, pasted on ending that even the devs admitted was just kind of thrown together last minute ("NAH!!!" *BANG* End of game). And you accuse Call of Duty of being a corridor shooter when literally that's ALL that SS2 was. Lots of corridors and randomly spawning enemies and a piss poor combat system.

System Shock 1 was even worse. Terrible controls, about as intuitive as sanskrit, and the story wasn't as strong as SS2.

This hipster idea that old games that play like shit are somehow superior to games that play smoothly or are fun to play is kind of annoying. God forbid we smooth gameplay out so that it doesn't feel like we're manipulating spreadsheets while we have a great story experience.

Anybody can make a system more complex. It takes real talent though to make something truly simpler and improve on the gaming experience.

46. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 15:47 ItBurn

45. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 15:46 jdreyer

ItBurn wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 15:31:

No. I'm saying, the control schemes are different, as are the graphical options and all the different hardware configurations. Plus PC gamers often ask for some features that don't exist in console games. Basically all of this is unchanged from xbox360 to xboxOne and it's the same for the PS.

It reeks of their high ranked people thinking that the PC isn't a good business decision. He didn't actually write this directly, but that's what he meant by supporting only these 4 platforms. There are the 4 they support because these are the 4 they think will make them money. Game companies are there to make money.

I agree that this is strictly a misguided business decision. I just don't think that it takes a massive amount of work to port this to PC. Some work, sure. But this could have been done concurrently or at the very least within a month or two, and they could say that.

But remember "Teh PC Gamerz iz PIRATEZ@!!1one"

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

44. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 15:42 ItBurn

Beamer wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 15:38:

Miss the days where game devs wanted to make fun games for gamers to play first, and a profit second.

There
are
still
games
that.

You're adding games not even released yet?
Many of those Kickstarter games, and I'd expect Star Citizen to be a prime example, absolutely overpromise for more money. Some of the stretch goals are way less "we want to make something great" and way more "we want more money!"

Yeah they don't quite fit his list because they're unreleased. But the very idea is to make a great game, and not money. I disagree with you about Star Citizen though. Time will tell. I'd like to add Flying Wild Hog with Shadow Warrior, Interceptor Entertainment with Rise of the Triad and Grinding Gear Games with Path Of Exile.

43. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 15:42 jdreyer

42. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 15:38 Beamer

There
are
still
games
that.

You're adding games not even released yet?
Many of those Kickstarter games, and I'd expect Star Citizen to be a prime example, absolutely overpromise for more money. Some of the stretch goals are way less "we want to make something great" and way more "we want more money!"

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

41. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 15:35 ItBurn

There
are
still
games
that.

40. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 15:35 jdreyer

Topevoli wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 13:56:
"We realize our game is not good enough to warrant a $60 price tag on the PC because the variety, quality and price of the competition means we will never be profitable. Console games sell and retain their $60 price for almost their entire lifespan, even if its terrible. So we choose to play it safe"

Fixed.

I think ports to the PC are still going to be an issue. "Next Gen" still can't match "current Gen" PC's in terms of graphical power. Just like this generation, to make a PC game really stick out will require a significant effort. If they try to release the same game on all three systems the PC version will look mediocre compared to the PC exclusives released at the same time and will be ignored as "just another port".

Well, don't forget that console games run at 900P or 720P then get upscaled. When you run your console game on PC at 2560x1440, you're running it at 3x or 4x the resolution of a console, so you need the extra power for that at least. Then if they throw in some extra goodies like hires textures, DX 11 effects, or PhysX, you'll need extra power for that.

39. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 15:31 ItBurn

jdreyer wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 15:20:
ItBurn wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 10:05:
InBlack wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 10:04:
ItBurn wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 09:40:
Well it's good to get a somewhat honest answer. He seemed to say that a PC port after was a definite possibility.

Are you on drugs? Oh you mean the bullshit argument that they are not going to spread themselves so thin so as to develop on 5 instead of 4 platforms. (Despite the fact that 3 of those platforms share the same basic architecture and two even share the basic OS structure). What a crock of disinformation...

Hm no... Seems perfectly legit to me. It takes a lot of work to make a good PC port. A lot more than to port to other consoles. Sure they could have done it at the same time, but this isn't where they're going to make their money. They have these "4" platforms that they're concentrating on for that. I don't see that much BS in there.

You're saying that it takes a lot more effort to port the game in its original Intel form (XB1 & PS4) to PC than it is to the PS3 Cell processor? To me this just reeks of typical Microshaft BS of prioritizing XBone over PC. Well, it's their funeral.

No. I'm saying, the control schemes are different, as are the graphical options and all the different hardware configurations. Plus PC gamers often ask for some features that don't exist in console games. Basically all of this is unchanged from xbox360 to xboxOne and it's the same for the PS.

It reeks of their high ranked people thinking that the PC isn't a good business decision. He didn't actually write this directly, but that's what he meant by supporting only these 4 platforms. There are the 4 they support because these are the 4 they think will make them money. Game companies are there to make money.

38. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 15:30 jdreyer

There
are
still
games
that.

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo