Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Warhammer Online Goes Free Until Closure

The Warhammer Online website announces "A Parting Gift" for Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning players as they gear up to gear down the MMORPG next month. Mythic announces that for the remainder of the game's life it is being offered for free to all current and former players (thanks Massively). Here's word:

Effective immediately we will be turning off the ability to apply one month subscriptions and game time codes to Warhammer Online accounts and removing the ability to open new Warhammer Online accounts.

To give Warhammer Online a proper sendoff we are opening the game to anyone free of charge that has or had an account in good standing starting October 31st, 2013. We will be adding new NPC’s to the game in order to power up your characters as well as other unique experiences for everyone to enjoy as we say goodbye to Warhammer Online over the next few weeks. So please join us and help say goodbye to Warhammer Online in one last big WAAAGH!

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Warhammer Online Goes Free Until Closure Nov 4, 2013, 09:36 Verno

The only thing that really annoyed me was the dwindling level of player customization. Select your class select your build, you're done! Most of the choice was taken from the player.

Yeah when they started killing the really neat and unique builds you could off is when I quit the game. The class homogenization just became more and more annoying. Cataclysm felt like a really weak expansion too and I think at that point I was just burnt out and needed more time for friends/family.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Warhammer Online Goes Free Until Closure Nov 4, 2013, 09:21 Pigeon

fujiJuice wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 08:50:
RaZ0r! wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 07:02:
Redmask wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 07:00:
RaZ0r! wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 06:58:
WoW ruined all potentially good MMOs. WoW taught publishers what the mass market really wants is cartoon graphics that run good on sub-$1000 PCs, and everything handed to them on a silver platter in-game.

Games should be another job after all, with hours long farms of spawns shared by everyone and corpse runs.

WoW made MMOs bearable.

I rest my case.

God forbid people want to have fun playing a 'game'. It certainly isn't Blizzard's fault no game has managed to steal away all their users, it is the fault of the other developers. Unless a vast majority of your friends are going to move with you to a different MMO, it probably isn't going to stand the test of time. It has to appeal to a vast audience, it is the very nature of an MMO, at least, if you want an ambitious Triple A MMO. The hardcore gamer base just doesn't bring in the money to support such an costly undertaking, so it must cater to both segments of the population. That is something that WoW did perfectly in the very beginning.

As someone who has played since before BC all I can say is I just got bored after 6 years. They've really done a good job providing content for players from casual to hardcore. I think more of their time has gone to pleasing the casual crowd, but that's understandable seeing as they make up most of the player base. IMO the hardcore players really only have the raids as the rest of the game offers little challenge. Maybe that's where they could expand some hardcore content for the single player/small party that wouldn't be easily accessible to casual players. The only thing that really annoyed me was the dwindling level of player customization. Select your class select your build, you're done! Most of the choice was taken from the player.

22. Re: Warhammer Online Goes Free Until Closure Nov 4, 2013, 08:57 Verno

I rest my case.

Rest what case? You didn't say anything.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

21. Re: Warhammer Online Goes Free Until Closure Nov 4, 2013, 08:52 nin

God forbid people want to have fun playing a 'game'.

Thank you!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

20. Re: Warhammer Online Goes Free Until Closure Nov 4, 2013, 08:50 fujiJuice

WoW ruined all potentially good MMOs. WoW taught publishers what the mass market really wants is cartoon graphics that run good on sub-$1000 PCs, and everything handed to them on a silver platter in-game.

Games should be another job after all, with hours long farms of spawns shared by everyone and corpse runs.

WoW made MMOs bearable.

I rest my case.

God forbid people want to have fun playing a 'game'. It certainly isn't Blizzard's fault no game has managed to steal away all their users, it is the fault of the other developers. Unless a vast majority of your friends are going to move with you to a different MMO, it probably isn't going to stand the test of time. It has to appeal to a vast audience, it is the very nature of an MMO, at least, if you want an ambitious Triple A MMO. The hardcore gamer base just doesn't bring in the money to support such an costly undertaking, so it must cater to both segments of the population. That is something that WoW did perfectly in the very beginning.

19. Re: Warhammer Online Goes Free Until Closure Nov 4, 2013, 08:45 NKD

BitWraith wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 08:36:
WoW ruined all potentially good MMOs. WoW taught us what the mass market really wants: cartoon graphics that run good on sub-$1000 PCs, and everything handed to them on a silver platter in-game.

Oh, give it a rest. The last two tiers of raiding content have been hard as $%^&. This is coming from a guy who spent hours and hours every day grinding through Molten Core.

What WoW has done is make sure everyone has something to do. It's currently the least repetitive MMO on the market, because it has so much content built on the back of years and years of content releases.

I think Wrath was the most fun era in WoW. The steady stream of people leaving the game is because the raiding content is so difficult, not too easy. I wouldn't be surprised to see Blizz go back to a Wrath era style raiding in the next exp. Especially with GW2 releasing content overy couple of weeks.

You raise a good point. Raid content is still hard, based on the time it's taken top world guilds to clear the heroic modes. And it's very hard to field a good raid team these days. The player base is smaller than it used to be, but the hardcore player base has dropped off even more so recruitment is a bitch.

A lot of people though could never hack it raiding in WoW or the other raiding MMOs. They didn't have any actual skill or talent, or they were just bad at getting along with others. All they had was a lot of time to invest.

So since they can't experience the hardcore endgame because of their crippling social dysfunction, all they ever see is leveling alts, running dailies, dungeon queues, and LFR.

None of which are designed to be challenging. None of which are the focus of the developers. So in their eyes, making those things tedious is the only way to differentiate the 40-hour a week baddie from the 80-hour a week baddie. They want to be King of the Baddies because all they have are endless hours and a supply of Cheetohs.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

18. Re: Warhammer Online Goes Free Until Closure Nov 4, 2013, 08:36 BitWraith

WoW ruined all potentially good MMOs. WoW taught us what the mass market really wants: cartoon graphics that run good on sub-$1000 PCs, and everything handed to them on a silver platter in-game.

Oh, give it a rest. The last two tiers of raiding content have been hard as $%^&. This is coming from a guy who spent hours and hours every day grinding through Molten Core.

What WoW has done is make sure everyone has something to do. It's currently the least repetitive MMO on the market, because it has so much content built on the back of years and years of content releases.

I think Wrath was the most fun era in WoW. The steady stream of people leaving the game is because the raiding content is so difficult, not too easy. I wouldn't be surprised to see Blizz go back to a Wrath era style raiding in the next exp. Especially with GW2 releasing content every couple of weeks.

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 2013, 08:58.

17. Re: Warhammer Online Goes Free Until Closure Nov 4, 2013, 07:43 NKD

You mean people don't want to have to invest 8 hours a day to enjoy the game?

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

16. Re: Warhammer Online Goes Free Until Closure Nov 4, 2013, 07:02 RaZ0r!

WoW made MMOs bearable.

I rest my case.

15. Re: Warhammer Online Goes Free Until Closure Nov 4, 2013, 07:00 Redmask

WoW made MMOs bearable. We're lucky that most games have to mimic WoW in at least modern convenience factors, the alternative was ridiculous.

14. Re: Warhammer Online Goes Free Until Closure Nov 4, 2013, 06:58 RaZ0r!

13. Re: Warhammer Online Goes Free Until Closure Nov 4, 2013, 03:30 InBlack

This and Age of Conan had a lot of potential. Huge potential. Too bad it all went unrealized for the most part.  

I have a nifty blue line!

12. Re: Warhammer Online Goes Free Until Closure Nov 4, 2013, 02:54 PsychoMoggieBagpuss

Biggest problem with this game was the balance between the two factions.
Everyone played the greenskin/chaos side, so those on the other side got fedup of being outnumbered in open world and rerolled, exacerbating the problem. Three factions would have avoided this problem (and was what worked for DAOC).
I enjoyed Tor-anroc on my female ironbreaker (aptly named Bridget The Midget), but I can imagine a lot of people getting pissed off after I punted them into the lava for the umpteenth time.

PMB / Shodan
http:/www.futilez

11. Re: Warhammer Online Goes Free Until Closure Nov 4, 2013, 00:01 bhcompy

PropheT wrote on Nov 3, 2013, 18:46:
D_K_night wrote on Nov 3, 2013, 13:08:
The game had many genuinely good ideas, ideas that were adapted into future MMO's past it. It was supposed to have far superior PvP content vs WoW's. Didn't it support realm vs realm combat too? All these things should have led up to a game which should have given WoW a good run for it's money.

And then Wrath of the Lich King came out and buried WAR. I think this game deserves a developer post-mortem. What exactly went wrong?

It did have better PvP, did a lot of things better. What it didn't do was compete from a PvE standpoint, though, by either having no or almost no AI for things you fought to having no PvE endgame and no real benefit to anything else you did cooperatively outside of RvR.

PvP games are niche games, and this one was made to bridge the gap and never stepped outside of being a PvP game. It didn't help that within a year or less of coming out they had just quit trying to do anything with it at all.

When it's all said and done, though, can people name even a handful of MMO's that have shut down that haven't been related to EA? How many MMO's has EA been behind that -haven't- shut down? They keep throwing money at them, expecting them to be immediately huge for their own WoW-type player base and paycheck, and then do nothing to support them once they (very predictably) aren't.

I disagree with it not competing on PvE. The PvE was actually really good with the public quest system and the way that you could level effectively off quests alone. The problem was that there were never enough players to support public quests and the game was too big in scope. If it was sized like DAoC, it would have done a lot better. Then again, Mythic screwed the pooch in DAoC with New Frontiers shortly before War came out, so that isn't surprising.

10. Re: Warhammer Online Goes Free Until Closure Nov 3, 2013, 21:37 HorrorScope

Were going to make some changes to make the game fun and not a time soak... as we say goodbye.  

9. Re: Warhammer Online Goes Free Until Closure Nov 3, 2013, 20:23 Ceribaen

I think their biggest problem was that they didn't provide any way to get past level 10 (I think? whatever that first tier was) without going to a subscription.

If they'd followed Turbine's F2P model - and allowed purchases to get over those tier jumps, more people would have played. As it was, everyone just played to free level cap and that was it - because anyone else in chat always talked about how empty it was if you went over it.

8. Re: Warhammer Online Goes Free Until Closure Nov 3, 2013, 18:46 PropheT

The game had many genuinely good ideas, ideas that were adapted into future MMO's past it. It was supposed to have far superior PvP content vs WoW's. Didn't it support realm vs realm combat too? All these things should have led up to a game which should have given WoW a good run for it's money.

And then Wrath of the Lich King came out and buried WAR. I think this game deserves a developer post-mortem. What exactly went wrong?

It did have better PvP, did a lot of things better. What it didn't do was compete from a PvE standpoint, though, by either having no or almost no AI for things you fought to having no PvE endgame and no real benefit to anything else you did cooperatively outside of RvR.

PvP games are niche games, and this one was made to bridge the gap and never stepped outside of being a PvP game. It didn't help that within a year or less of coming out they had just quit trying to do anything with it at all.

When it's all said and done, though, can people name even a handful of MMO's that have shut down that haven't been related to EA? How many MMO's has EA been behind that -haven't- shut down? They keep throwing money at them, expecting them to be immediately huge for their own WoW-type player base and paycheck, and then do nothing to support them once they (very predictably) aren't.

7. Re: Warhammer Online Goes Free Until Closure Nov 3, 2013, 17:08 Cutter

The Greenskin campaign was ahhh-mazing! But then there was not content after it. Everything from about level 25 on was pure grind. What was there was pretty solid but they rushed it out the door in terms of not having nearly enough content.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

6. Re: Warhammer Online Goes Free Until Closure Nov 3, 2013, 16:35 Asmodai

The best PvP in game was still the 1-10 arenas where everyone was still a lowbie and you didn't have WTFOP FOTM builds in premades tearing all and sundry to pieces.

Was a bit of fun but just wasn't sustainable.

5. Re: Warhammer Online Goes Free Until Closure Nov 3, 2013, 14:16 Primalchrome

What exactly went wrong?
- Bad play balance based off whining in forums rather than real numbers...
- Horrible PvP grind fests where you basically only had one arena to play over and over.
- Slideshow castle sieges
- Amazing public quests that were impossible one month in due to upwardly mobile player base.

Those are the things that come to mind for me.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo