Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Call of Duty: Ghosts Trailer

A new live-action trailer (commercial) promoting Call of Duty: Ghosts is titled "Epic Night Out," offering a stark reminder of just how ill-equipped we gamers are to fill the action-packed roles we take on in games like the military shooter sequel. The clip shows a crew of couch potatoes going all Michael Bay on their enemies without even so much as a Hot Pockets break, though realism is restored when Megan Fox appears on the screen as an uber-gamer.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Trailer Nov 4, 2013, 19:35 Beamer

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 19:32:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 03:13:
Cyanotetyphas wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 00:49:
This casual attitude towards celebrating war leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Um, while this commercial may be especially egregious, basically your comment describes a vast number of computer games. Are you saying that you don't play any war-themed games at all? They all take a casual attitude toward celebrating war. As Francois Truffaut said, it is impossible to make an anti-war film, because films tend to make war look exciting. The same thing applies to games, and even more-so since you control the unit(s) and have the goal of "winning."

Hmm, well, I actually don't have a problem with the game itself. It's true that war is exciting, even if it's a net negative. I guess my issue with this commercial (and another similar one I've seen) is that it presents war as consequence free. It feels like I'm being brainwashed by some recruiter, even though they really just want me to drop $60 on some code.

Schwarzenegger movies depict war as consequence-free. This is more showing a group of friends blowing crap up. It doesn't show "war" it shows conflict. It's basically depicting this as an overgrown paintball game.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Trailer Nov 4, 2013, 19:32 Cyanotetyphas

jdreyer wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 03:13:

Um, while this commercial may be especially egregious, basically your comment describes a vast number of computer games. Are you saying that you don't play any war-themed games at all? They all take a casual attitude toward celebrating war. As Francois Truffaut said, it is impossible to make an anti-war film, because films tend to make war look exciting. The same thing applies to games, and even more-so since you control the unit(s) and have the goal of "winning."

Hmm, well, I actually don't have a problem with the game itself. It's true that war is exciting, even if it's a net negative. I guess my issue with this commercial (and another similar one I've seen) is that it presents war as consequence free. It feels like I'm being brainwashed by some recruiter, even though they really just want me to drop $60 on some code.

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

33. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Trailer Nov 4, 2013, 18:19 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 15:50:
Reminds me the story I heard from a gun store owner. Some kid comes in, wants to buy a rifle with a scope. Guy hands him one. He looks through the scope. First thing he says is "How do you make it zoom?"

Hehehe. The gun store owner should have taped a "Z" key to the stock and charged a hundred bucks extra for it.

32. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Trailer Nov 4, 2013, 16:04 Beamer

I didn't even recognize that as Megan Fox.
That's also a name I haven't heard in forever.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

31. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Trailer Nov 4, 2013, 15:50 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 11:02:
Probably true, but on the flipside, they have guns, ammo, and know how to fire them. And they would likely hit what they aim at.

You could hand me a gun, and it'd take me 5 minutes to figure out how to load the clip, get it ready and turn the safety off. And then the odds of me hitting something would be... I dunno? Maybe all the murder simulators I've played would genuinely make me a good marksman?

Reminds me the story I heard from a gun store owner. Some kid comes in, wants to buy a rifle with a scope. Guy hands him one. He looks through the scope. First thing he says is "How do you make it zoom?"

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

30. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Trailer Nov 4, 2013, 11:02 Creston

Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 03:10:
Funny commercial, but it reminds me of a lot of the people I shoot with. Always going on about how when the shit hits the fan, they are going to be the survivors because blah blah blah.

Man, half those guys are hugely overweight, and 75% of them are so out of shape they are going to be among the first to die even with all their supplies and guns. You can dress up like GI Joe all you like, but if you aren't in shape then all you are is a slow moving target.

Probably true, but on the flipside, they have guns, ammo, and know how to fire them. And they would likely hit what they aim at.

You could hand me a gun, and it'd take me 5 minutes to figure out how to load the clip, get it ready and turn the safety off. And then the odds of me hitting something would be... I dunno? Maybe all the murder simulators I've played would genuinely make me a good marksman?

29. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Trailer Nov 4, 2013, 09:21 Sempai

Oh Gawd...Stfu..

28. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Trailer Nov 4, 2013, 08:28 RollinThundr

Jerykk wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 01:57:
RollinThundr wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 01:15:
Creston wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 00:38:
The same trailer, the same game, the same people buying it, year after year after year after year.

It's gotta be cool to make your money that easily. Copy / paste 95% of your code, build a few new set pieces for your meager sp campaign, DONE!

Personally my COD days are long behind me, but if people enjoy it, and they obviously do with how much it still sells year after year, is there really a need to hate on it for the sake of it?

If you're not dropping the 60 bucks does it really affect you all that much?

The games that sell the best have a significant impact on other games. That's why regenerating health, two-weapon limits, aim assist, radar, kill streaks, etc, became commonplace. If something sells well, others will copy it. So yes, the purchasing habits of others does affect me quite a bit.

Kill streaks and aim assist, at least aim assist on consoles was there long before COD, it'll be there long after.

ARMA isn't like COD,Bioshock Infinite isn't like COD. Battlefield is certainly not like COD in that it has vehicles and vastly different game types.

The Gears of Wars and other similar games would have been made regardless I think. Until I play an RPG that forces me to only take 2 weapons and has cover shooter mechanics, I think we're safe from evil COD infecting everything else.

I get what you're saying, but there's enough diversity out there with or without COD imo.

27. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Trailer Nov 4, 2013, 07:38 xXBatmanXx

Typical console players in the video....fat kid running with a high power scope on a rifle....shooting as he is running....holding it near his tummy....  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

26. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Trailer Nov 4, 2013, 04:07 InBlack

The same trailer, the same game, the same people buying it, year after year after year after year.

It's gotta be cool to make your money that easily. Copy / paste 95% of your code, build a few new set pieces for your meager sp campaign, DONE!

Personally my COD days are long behind me, but if people enjoy it, and they obviously do with how much it still sells year after year, is there really a need to hate on it for the sake of it?

Just like Jeryk said, we dont hate for the sake of hating. I loved, LOVED the original COD4: Modern Combat. I thought it was the best thing since sliced cheese. And it really was the pinnacle of CoD games, all the best elements of CoD in a modern setting. When the next one was ready to ship not even a full year in development and after all that fiasco at Activision I could see the writing on the wall. Not much later the sequel shipped once again to glowing reviews but to the sad dissapointment of true fans of the original series everywhere. The rest is history...

I have a nifty blue line!

25. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Trailer Nov 4, 2013, 03:13 jdreyer

24. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Trailer Nov 4, 2013, 03:10 Agent.X7

Funny commercial, but it reminds me of a lot of the people I shoot with. Always going on about how when the shit hits the fan, they are going to be the survivors because blah blah blah.

Man, half those guys are hugely overweight, and 75% of them are so out of shape they are going to be among the first to die even with all their supplies and guns. You can dress up like GI Joe all you like, but if you aren't in shape then all you are is a slow moving target.

Oh yeah, obligatory COD hate! RAWR!

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

23. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Trailer Nov 4, 2013, 01:57 Jerykk

The games that sell the best have a significant impact on other games. That's why regenerating health, two-weapon limits, aim assist, radar, kill streaks, etc, became commonplace. If something sells well, others will copy it. So yes, the purchasing habits of others does affect me quite a bit.

22. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Trailer Nov 4, 2013, 01:15 RollinThundr

21. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Trailer Nov 4, 2013, 00:49 Cyanotetyphas

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

20. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Trailer Nov 4, 2013, 00:38 Creston

19. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Trailer Nov 4, 2013, 00:18 RollinThundr

Sempai wrote on Nov 3, 2013, 23:47:
I hate on the annual CoD machine as much as the next guy, but i'll be picking this up on my new PS4 this year and will have some fun with it. Since Watch Dogs got pushed, Killzone and CoD will have to be my new toys for Christmas. That said, Extinction(4 player alien shooting co-op) looks like some fun.

So sue me.

No reason to, people enjoy COD as much as it gets hated on here. It sells millions yearly. If I were Activision I wouldn't stop churning them out either.

18. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Trailer Nov 3, 2013, 23:47 Sempai

I hate on the annual CoD machine as much as the next guy, but i'll be picking this up on my new PS4 this year and will have some fun with it. Since Watch Dogs got pushed, Killzone and CoD will have to be my new toys for Christmas. That said, Extinction(4 player alien shooting co-op) looks like some fun.

So sue me.

17. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Trailer Nov 3, 2013, 20:02 Taskeen

I wasn't aware cod had space shoot em ups and driveable jeeps... wait...  

16. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Trailer Nov 3, 2013, 19:07 jdreyer

Fantaz wrote on Nov 3, 2013, 14:40:
Tumbler wrote on Nov 3, 2013, 12:11:
That is a great commercial. This is the first time I've seen anything about Vegas though, that seems like something they should have spoken up about.

it's a terrible commercial...

I dunno. It's not bad. I think the BLOPS2 one was better though.

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo