Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Mobilization

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 4, 2013, 09:13 Verno

Bradley wrote on Nov 3, 2013, 18:59:
Do you know for a fact that the OS being distributed by Google, Samsing, Motorola, etc was actually compiled from the source code that Google released? Unless you compiled and installed it yourself, your phone could be running anything.

That's the whole point of Android dude, people actually do that. Like millions of people do it even. They also build their own custom roms from it and the code is well inspected at this point.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 3, 2013, 22:24 Beamer

Bradley wrote on Nov 3, 2013, 18:59:
Redmask wrote on Nov 3, 2013, 01:22:
The open source code that has been vetted by several major corporations and millions of phone hackers? There's a reason they are putting this functionality into apps which aren't getting into ASOP.

Do you know for a fact that the OS being distributed by Google, Samsing, Motorola, etc was actually compiled from the source code that Google released? Unless you compiled and installed it yourself, your phone could be running anything.

You guys also realize that only a portion of Android is open source, and that portion is repeatedly being reduced, right?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 3, 2013, 18:59 Bradley

Redmask wrote on Nov 3, 2013, 01:22:
The open source code that has been vetted by several major corporations and millions of phone hackers? There's a reason they are putting this functionality into apps which aren't getting into ASOP.

11. Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 3, 2013, 07:44 NKD

Cutter wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 23:28:
I'm not a cry baby, and no, Google isn't fine. Free or not. And if they're spying on you to make money it's not really free is it?

Spying? Please. The fact that Google is very open about its vacuum-up-all-the-data policies means it isn't spying. You're free to avoid the use of Google and Google-related products. It's not like they are the NSA. They've always been open about their data policies. We've known since forever what their business model is.

The offer a massive number of free services. The price you pay is sacrificing some privacy. That price is obvious and available for anyone with functioning neurons to see.

If you don't like the price, don't use their services.

At the end of the day though, you might as well just move your ass into the woods and turn off the electricity Cutter, because one of those evil entities called "businesses" is probably benefitting in some way from your presence on the Internet.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

10. Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 3, 2013, 01:22 Redmask

Bradley wrote on Nov 3, 2013, 00:21:
You DO realize that Google wrote the entire OS, right? Their code literally processes every action you take on the phone. They don't need to try to sneak anything in to the home screen. If they wanted to know how many times a day you run a Fart app, they would already know.

9. Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 3, 2013, 00:21 Bradley

That Google search thing is really disturbing. The Android home screen is literally google search now. It looks the same but any app you run, any number you call or person you message is run through the google search APK. Oh and they`re apparently going to be putting ads into the interface at some point, in the phone I already paid for. Thanks Google, do no evil indeed.

You DO realize that Google wrote the entire OS, right? Their code literally processes every action you take on the phone. They don't need to try to sneak anything in to the home screen. If they wanted to know how many times a day you run a Fart app, they would already know.

8. Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 3, 2013, 00:04 Redmask

Fibrocyte wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 21:15:
Google is fine if you aren't a cry baby. I don't mind if they advertise towards my interests since they give me the best free search engine, best free email, etc.

They don't need to put advertising on my phone, it's not a free device.

7. Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 2, 2013, 23:28 Cutter

I'm not a cry baby, and no, Google isn't fine. Free or not. And if they're spying on you to make money it's not really free is it?

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

6. Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 2, 2013, 21:15 Fibrocyte

Cutter wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 16:27:
Why do you think I've always said, "Google is not your friend."

People should always be looking at most corporations from an entirely hostile and adversarial perspective. Apple especially.

Google is fine if you aren't a cry baby. I don't mind if they advertise towards my interests since they give me the best free search engine, best free email, etc.

5. Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 2, 2013, 18:12 Graham

Mostly because you hate everything. Even a broken clock, etc.

Just joshin' ya, Cut. You're right on this one.

4. Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 2, 2013, 18:10 SpectralMeat

Apple especially.
Doesn't matter which one you hate or why.
Apple, Google, Microsoft none of them any better then the other. If you want a smart phone, pick a company and make peace with it.

Steam: SpectralMeat

3. Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 2, 2013, 16:27 Cutter

People should always be looking at most corporations from an entirely hostile and adversarial perspective. Apple especially.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

2. Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 2, 2013, 13:02 Silicon Avatar

Nice. You can't go anywhere or do use any technology without some asshole advertiser tracking you.

Google has always been self-serving - they just cover it up with a thin shellac of PR.

1. Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 2, 2013, 12:03 Dades

That Google search thing is really disturbing. The Android home screen is literally google search now. It looks the same but any app you run, any number you call or person you message is run through the google search APK. Oh and they`re apparently going to be putting ads into the interface at some point, in the phone I already paid for. Thanks Google, do no evil indeed.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo