Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Game Reviews Nov 4, 2013, 18:35 eRe4s3r

Bucky wrote on Nov 3, 2013, 16:46:
nin wrote on Nov 3, 2013, 14:55:
Same here. I guess I'll just wait for it to drop to $20, for the SP portion.

Listen, for the single player, it's not even worth that. It's horrible. The story makes no sense, and the characters even less. Irish is so badly written it made me want to scream. Half of the game was scripted events or listening to people talk, and in both cases you have no control. The last 'mission' is one single firefight, and then you can sleepwalk your way through the rest (see the previous sentence). Actually, I was reading a book while I did it the second and third times for the weapon unlocks.

As for difficulty, there isn't any. Set it to hard, grab yourself a semi-auto sniper rifle, and waltz your way through the game.

Honestly, I don't know how anyone could think the single player is good. Maybe it's just the years of Battlefield and CoD giving us such horrendous single player experiences that people have forgotten what good single player is.

Just wanna throw this in, but yeah.. FULL ACK.

That story is the worst piece of crap I ever experienced in a "modern shooter" so far. If you thought MW 2 was incoherent try Battlefield 4. Half the time I have no fucking clue where I even am. Who the people are that I talk to or what they are doing there. (kinda like buying groceries)

I finished the game (was longer than 4 hours though, thanks to a save corruption issue in second last map) and I have absolutely 0 clue what even happened. Doesn't happen often to me in a game, but Battlefield 4 is the second game I ever played that left me going "WTF" the entire game. And not the good kind of wtf.

Ps.: I too find the boats to be WAY stronger than they should be. A group of them 1 with AA, 1 with TV can dominate an entire map. And only some serious chopper action can take them down (laser guided missiles with at least 1 engineer supporting you from the side banks)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Game Reviews Nov 3, 2013, 17:52 Bucky

IFVs and Fast Attack Craft are insane right now. I have both fully unlocked, they just destroy anything in their path. The TOW on the IFV is a must, it's a two shot kill on a tank and the next round is in the chamber almost before the first one has hit.

Don't even get me started on the boat. With two good gunners and an engineer doing repairs, you become an unstoppable god of watery death.

15. Re: Game Reviews Nov 3, 2013, 17:31 MoreLuckThanSkill

NO! The single player is horrible. The only good aspect is that it is short, about 2-3 hours of content.

Wait a month or two, let the server issues and particular map issues get patched out, then maybe try it. The multiplayer has the potential to be great... it's already great WHEN it works. It's infuriating when you crash out and lose all the progress/exp.

*EDIT*

APC Does decent damage vs infantry with either one of the main cannon upgrades, Zunni rockets seem to be an utter joke vs armor though, forcing you to stick with the wire guided missile. Currently I'm liking the second main cannon upgrade for APCs, the ADPTS whatever high speed armor piercing round. Makes headshots on infantry doable, does ok damage vs armor and air.

Support class LMGs are tolerable, not my cup of tea, particularly since Recon gets C4 now. No incentive for me personally to play Support, aside from unlocking the basic requirements (ammo box, etc.)

I had about 10 chopper kills in a row with a tank in one round the other day, Sabot main gun rounds = required. I was ALMOST feeling sorry for those damned chopper pilots.

Still crashing though, in spite of the patch. Urge to rage quit is slowly rising. I'm leveling my PoE characters in the meantime.

*EDIT*

This comment was edited on Nov 3, 2013, 17:37.

14. Re: Game Reviews Nov 3, 2013, 16:46 Bucky

Listen, for the single player, it's not even worth that. It's horrible. The story makes no sense, and the characters even less. Irish is so badly written it made me want to scream. Half of the game was scripted events or listening to people talk, and in both cases you have no control. The last 'mission' is one single firefight, and then you can sleepwalk your way through the rest (see the previous sentence). Actually, I was reading a book while I did it the second and third times for the weapon unlocks.

As for difficulty, there isn't any. Set it to hard, grab yourself a semi-auto sniper rifle, and waltz your way through the game.

Honestly, I don't know how anyone could think the single player is good. Maybe it's just the years of Battlefield and CoD giving us such horrendous single player experiences that people have forgotten what good single player is.

13. Re: Game Reviews Nov 3, 2013, 14:55 nin

jdreyer wrote on Nov 3, 2013, 14:49:
Aero wrote on Nov 3, 2013, 11:13:
Kind of a shame they can't separate the SP part from the MP part. Despite trying, I never could get into the MP part of BF3 because it was just too much effort to round up enough decent human beings to play with at any random time, even with a giant friends list.

I did like the SP part, and I hear the SP part of BF4 is better still. It's just that at 4 hours long, it's only maybe worth $20 to me at most. So, maybe if it gets that low in a sale some day I'll pick it up.

Or, better yet, stick some bots in there like earlier BF games.

Yeah, if there were 64 player bot games, I might pick this up.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

12. Re: Game Reviews Nov 3, 2013, 14:49 jdreyer

Aero wrote on Nov 3, 2013, 11:13:
Kind of a shame they can't separate the SP part from the MP part. Despite trying, I never could get into the MP part of BF3 because it was just too much effort to round up enough decent human beings to play with at any random time, even with a giant friends list.

I did like the SP part, and I hear the SP part of BF4 is better still. It's just that at 4 hours long, it's only maybe worth $20 to me at most. So, maybe if it gets that low in a sale some day I'll pick it up.

Yeah, if there were 64 player bot games, I might pick this up.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

11. Re: Game Reviews Nov 3, 2013, 11:13 Aero

10. Re: Game Reviews Nov 3, 2013, 09:02 eRe4s3r

BF4... well one thing is for sure, the crash issues (of which there are dozens) aside, which were known since BETA and ignored, the game has abysmal performance on certain map areas. Locker -> Cell Block facing in the direction of the panopticon. Siege of Shanghai standing in the top left most position possible and looking towards RU or US base (doesn't really matter)  

9. Re: Game Reviews Nov 3, 2013, 04:17 jdreyer

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 19:11:
BF4... oh how great you could have been, and may yet be.

...(snip)...

All that said, I'm enjoying BF4 immensely when I can stay connected, and cursing DICE when I get disconnected/the server crashes when I am on a roll.

Great writeup. Thanks

8. Re: Game Reviews Nov 3, 2013, 01:53 Redmask

Commander mode is a little bland on most maps(that don't have cruise missiles) and you do not have access to team chat/voice comm, which is unforgiveable, in my opinion. I assume that's because of the whole tablet-Commander 'feature,' but maybe there is an option somewhere to enable text chat, who knows.

Hahaha what the fuck is the point without chat? That's fucking ridiculous, even rollinspammr couldn't defend that design decision.

7. Re: Game Reviews Nov 2, 2013, 22:52 siapnar

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 21:37:
The maps are definitely on the smaller side, seems to be a byproduct of the insane amount of geometry and usable buildings on most of the maps.
In comparison to BF3 though, the Shanghai map was massive as far as I could tell. Especially cool was the vertical aspect of it.
Also that massive dish map looks pretty large, in addition to the dam one.

But I really do like some of the maps from BF3, especially a couple that came with the End Game DLC

I have projectile dysfunction.

6. Re: Game Reviews Nov 2, 2013, 22:40 Bucky

I was at about a 35% crash rate as of yesterday, but it looks like the last couple of server patches have cured all of my crashing issues. I just played a half dozen rounds without issue on two different servers. This is surprising, since I would have believed a client patch was necessary too. The crashes are gone, the micro-stutter is gone, and the audio on the Dam map seems fixed.

In short, after the usual DICE launch issues, the game is a blast. I feel like balance is way better overall, and the maps are much better than the BF3 stock maps.

Edit: Cursed myself. All the issues are back. I don't understand how I go 2+ hours without an issue, and then can't even complete a round.

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 2013, 23:48.

5. Re: Game Reviews Nov 2, 2013, 21:37 MoreLuckThanSkill

siapnar wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 20:25:
In the beta I got infuriated with how many shots infantry could take from vehicle MG's. Absolutely ludicrous how much you'd have to hit them. Sometimes even 15 shots from one.
Sounds like the issue persists.

Well, LMG on the tank is definitely too weak. HMG on the tank chews people up in 2-4 shots pretty reliably. It's also practically laser accurate and doesn't overheat, making it a required upgrade to me. The MAA cannons also seem way to weak vs infantry, but this is overkill left over from the BF3 nerf, it seems. It may change, and the 30mm upgrade is a LOT better than the default cannon vs infantry. Only issue not fixed by upgrades so far is the APC cannon, which can't kill infantry for shit, forcing me to waste rockets on them half the time. It would be fine if the cannon actually killed armor, but it's a joke there as well. Not sure what DICE intended for the APC to do besides suppress people.

The dust version of Shanghai, after the building falls, is definitely annoying. My least favorite level morph by far. The maps are definitely on the smaller side, seems to be a byproduct of the insane amount of geometry and usable buildings on most of the maps. DICE chose complexity over giant BF1942 style maps, and I can't blame them totally. I remember plenty of times spent in BF1942 just driving or flying around for a few minutes to even find anyone. Of course in BF4, the other extreme is present; you are tripping over people constantly, it seems.

*EDIT* Hrm forgot to mention, I do have an APC unlock, tungsten ball ammo, for the APC cannon, that supposedly demolishes infantry. I haven't tried it, been too busy playing around with the tanks. Maybe it's as good as the description indicates, I'll check later.

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 2013, 21:44.

4. Re: Game Reviews Nov 2, 2013, 20:25 siapnar

From what I've seen of the maps on youtube, I'm only impressed by a few. Rogue tranny, that dam map ala BF2, and the STALKER inspired one seem to be the best of the bunch. Shanghai was also fun in the beta, but looked awfully bland once the city was covered in dust after the skyscraper came down.

Headshots are rewarded, which is good, but body shots seem to be penalized heavy in BF4, compared to BF3. This is really evident with the vehicle mounted MGs, which seem to take an inordinate amount of shots if you don't hit the head, to kill infantry.
In the beta I got infuriated with how many shots infantry could take from vehicle MG's. Absolutely ludicrous how much you'd have to hit them. Sometimes even 15 shots from one.
Sounds like the issue persists.

I have projectile dysfunction.

3. Re: Game Reviews Nov 2, 2013, 19:11 MoreLuckThanSkill

BF4... oh how great you could have been, and may yet be.

Currently there are connection issues, which seem to be entirely server side, as well as stuttering/lag issues, regardless of the client(s) hardware. There was a patch yesterday that was supposed to fix/address this, but the same issues are still there currently.

Two of the more vehicle heavy maps (The Railroad map and the non-flood Dam map) seem to have bugs that cause the sound to cut out, especially when you are in a tank, making it extremely hard to survive as you will not hear any lock-on warnings, etc.

However, aside from those issues, which are pretty substantial, the game so far has been hilarious and really enjoyable. Commander mode is a little bland on most maps(that don't have cruise missiles) and you do not have access to team chat/voice comm, which is unforgiveable, in my opinion. I assume that's because of the whole tablet-Commander 'feature,' but maybe there is an option somewhere to enable text chat, who knows.

Headshots are rewarded, which is good, but body shots seem to be penalized heavy in BF4, compared to BF3. This is really evident with the vehicle mounted MGs, which seem to take an inordinate amount of shots if you don't hit the head, to kill infantry.

I was initially worried tanks were nerfed too much, and while they are definitely weaker in BF4 than in BF3 because of the clip/reload system, the ugprades help out a great deal. Coaxial HMG, Sabot rounds for main gun, Autoloader and Smoke, and I'm going on 25kill streaks in tanks without a lot of difficulty. Shooting down aircraft is a LOT easier in BF4, with the higher speed sabot rounds, at least for me, and infantry die almost as quickly to the HMG in BF4 as in BF3.

As far as on foot, Assault class weapons utterly dominate at medium-long range, to the point of absurdity. The engineer carbines are ok in comparison, but you won't win many head to head fights vs a decent Assault player. PDW engineer weapons are great at close range but useless everywhere else. Sniping seems to be stronger in this game as well, because of flatter firing arcs on almost every gun(aside from the HE tank shell). I have not yet played Support class.

MAA is definitely weaker, akin to a post-nerf BF3 MAA vs infantry, with possibly even less damage to aircraft as well, although both sides' vehicles have more accurracy than the BF3 versions.

Helicopters are easier to control, and fun to fly in between all the skyscrapers on most maps. They seem more responsive also.

Jets... still overpowered in the hands of a great pilot, a little useless with new/mediocre pilots due to all the anti-air and obstacles to be avoided.

The boats all seem to have at least 1 minigun, along with missiles/cannons, making them a real danger to any aircraft or infantry. To make up for it they are all glass cannons, which seems balanced so far.

APCs should do more damage to infantry in my opinion, you can easily waste 12 shots of 20mm cannon on ONE infantry due to the spread and shake of the vehicle, making headshots much harder than from tanks.

Vehicle vs vehicle damage in general on the ground is WAY down, tank battles take forever unless you totally ambush an opponent and get a 90degree shot on the back panel.

All that said, I'm enjoying BF4 immensely when I can stay connected, and cursing DICE when I get disconnected/the server crashes when I am on a roll.

2. Re: Game Reviews Nov 2, 2013, 16:40 LittleMe

jdreyer wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 15:26:
Anyone playing it yet?

Yes I'm not having as many problems as the reviewer. I think his score was an over reaction. It's a fun game! But it's so arcadey and I still feel that the maps are designed around 32 players more than 64. I love the spectator mode and the game is silky smooth at 120hz for me on a 680 oc on mostly high settings. For me, Project Reality (for BF2) is a much better game. I want a deeper game experience. Also the client-side hit reg is still bothersome and for those sensitive to it, they will hate BF4. What a waste of a fantastic game engine on such a narrow arcadey experience. So much more could be done with it if we could mod it.

But it's a good game and I recommend it for BF/COD fans. All I'm talking about here is the MP, not SP.

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 2013, 16:45.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

1. Re: Game Reviews Nov 2, 2013, 15:26 jdreyer

Whoa. BF4 slammed.

Anyone playing it yet?

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo