Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve: Steam Offline Mode "Designed to be Indefinite"

A response from Valve to a thread about offline mode on Steam indicates that the way offline mode currently requires users to go online periodically to allow them to play their Steam games without being connected to the Internet is a bug, and not working as intended. He does not offer a timeframe for when this might be fixed, but clearly states the requirement to go online once your game is authenticated is a "bug" (thanks Creston). Here's word:

This is not actually true - Offline Mode is designed to be indefinite. You can't access any of Steam's online features such as friends lists or saved game synchronization, of course, but the client should allow you to run in Offline Mode for as long as you like.

That said, there are many components involved in Offline Mode, and some of them have known issues and bugs which we are continually working to improve. We're aware that it doesn't always work as flawlessly as we want it to, but please keep reporting bugs with Offline Mode. It is not broken 'by design'.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

8. Re: Valve: Steam Offline Mode Nov 1, 2013, 20:37 Julio

I don't believe this claim at all. If online DRM for Steam is a bug, it's one they've never bothered to fix yet.

Maybe they're starting to feel some pain from GOG and DRM-free Kickstarter projects.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Valve: Steam Offline Mode Nov 1, 2013, 20:28 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 19:43:
If they actually fix it finally that will be AWESOME, but what in the name of Superman took so friggin' long?!

In reading the thread, apparently EACH game has to be fixed individually before they can get rid of the offending piece of code. When you've got 100s of individual games to fix, that can take time.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

6. Re: Valve: Steam Offline Mode Nov 1, 2013, 20:20 Sho

I recently had a conversation with a Valve engineer about a bug I reported in Offline Mode and received a very reasonable response, too: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/2836

It's worth a read, also for hints on how SteamOS/Big Picture impacts the platform and Offline Mode.

(I always have Steam in offline mode unless I need it to be online, which is to install or update games, or for a first run to have a game fetch the achievement schema. What and when I play is nobody's business.)

5. Re: Valve: Steam Offline Mode Nov 1, 2013, 20:00 jimnms

It seems like sometimes they don't care about fixing offline mode bugs. I have Steam on two computers at home, one is set to offline so my niece can play games when she comes over. On my main PC I set it to offline mode before I run a backup. Once they completely broke offline mode and took over a month to fix it. I made sure not to go online on the other PC until it was fixed.

On the other PC, once set to offline mode it used to start in offline mode without any prompt. I had to put it online to get an update, and it updated the Steam client. Now when Steam starts it prompts to go online or continue in offline. I had to set a firewall rule to block Steam so she wouldn't accidentally click to go online and knock me off.

MeanJim on Steam

4. Re: Valve: Steam Offline Mode Nov 1, 2013, 19:48 rist3903

Prez wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 19:43:
If they actually fix it finally that will be AWESOME, but what in the name of Superman took so friggin' long?!
Valve's flat management.

3. Re: Valve: Steam Offline Mode Nov 1, 2013, 19:43 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

2. Re: Valve: Steam Offline Mode Nov 1, 2013, 19:42 Ladron3dfx

It's working as intended.  

Steamworks

1. Re: Valve: Steam Offline Mode Nov 1, 2013, 19:34 nin

Still a little skeptical, but a welcome surprise...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo