Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 12:04 HorrorScope

It's about what features each person wants. If someone just wants a pure gaming system, then no big deal. But part of the lure of the last gen was to get some more PC features into it so they weren't so narrow. Enough people took advantage of these things and why not?

So omitting common functionality isn't a brilliant move and now they are reconsidering something they really should have had out of the box. AKA how the Bone became the 180. If us numbskulls can see it, people paid to be in position to make these decisions should totally see it and also see things we can't. But nope, us dopes get it better still.

MP3, CD, DVD, Streaming, etc... all should be part of it. If it were it won't be ready day one but soon after. That's a whole different thing. But they thought, we'll just axe that, nobody will notice.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 11:45 nin

Prez wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 11:43:
Creston wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 11:13:
So, no USB key support? So if your internet connection is slow as fuck, as mine is, you can't download the latest update somewhere, put it on a USB key, and update the PS4's firmware that way?

THAT.FUCKING.SUCKS.SONY.

Nuthin' to see here, carry on!

No take-backs on the internet!!

Creston gets 5 minutes locked in the closet with dunder!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 11:43 Prez

So, no USB key support? So if your internet connection is slow as fuck, as mine is, you can't download the latest update somewhere, put it on a USB key, and update the PS4's firmware that way?

THAT.FUCKING.SUCKS.SONY.

No take-backs on the internet!!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 11:34 Creston

Verno wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 11:18:

THAT.FUCKING.SUCKS.SONY.

Huh? You can do that dude. In the PS Blog FAQ they say USB installation of firmware is still supported. They mean external storage for game installs and shit which isn't supported because Sony uses some weird encrypted file system.

Oh, my bad then, I totally missed that. That's really all I care about.

SORRY.SONY.MY.BAD!

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 11:18 Verno

THAT.FUCKING.SUCKS.SONY.

Huh? You can do that dude. In the PS Blog FAQ they say USB installation of firmware is still supported. They mean external storage for game installs and shit which isn't supported because Sony uses some weird encrypted file system.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 11:13 Creston

THAT.FUCKING.SUCKS.SONY.

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2013, 11:35.

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 10:54 Verno

InBlack wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 10:30:
I dont buy it. Most people I know are getting the PS4 because they want to play GTAVI or Gran Turismo 7 or whatever, I doubt they will go "Oh damn, no USB support, oh well I guess Im going to skip the Ps4 after all...."

You could apply that to any app like Netflix on a gaming console though. I shouldn't have said I dont get why people are upset, I can see why people would be looking closer at it. Given that they received such a shitstorm over twitter that they already had a dev team meeting about it I suspect more people care than we think. All of those things are nice value adds and people got used to the functionality last generation which has lasted years. There are alternatives but when paying $399+ for gaming consoles you kinda want some tertiary functionality too.

Anyways I think they will add this stuff back in, they're just trying to ship and some stuff always has to be cut or pushed back. The Xbox One has a dozen or so features that won't be enabled until long after launch too. The PS3 received several important features after the fact, hell it didn't even have the in-game XMB until a year after launch.

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2013, 11:04.

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 10:46 InBlack

Raven wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 10:42:
I bought a PS3 because it did everything I wanted it to do. One box, done. GT, GTA, media server, blu-rays (heck, the one I have plays PS2 games too)...

A 100' HDMI cable does not a media server make.

Im thinking that Sony wants people to hold on to their PS3 for as long as possible. (They want to milk that cow as much as possible). That would be the only logical reason why they would remove features from the new console.

I have a nifty blue line!

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 10:46 LurkerLito

Honestly the biggest issue for me regarding the no CD playback or MP3 is the custom soundtrack ability in games. It becomes a useless feature till I can put my music on the HD or stream it from my DLNA box. I won't subscribe to Sony's music service. It's worthless to me because I buy the music I like on CDs. I won't pay them again so I can have the music I already bought playable in the background when I play something like a driving game. I guess it's a good thing there are no driving games available at launch hopefully they'll patch this oversight in before something like Drive Club gets released. The worst part of the GT line of games on the PS2 was the music. I don't want to go back to those days where it's better to turn off the music because you were so sick of hearing the same music you didn't necessarily like in the first place over and over.  

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 10:42 Raven

I bought a PS3 because it did everything I wanted it to do. One box, done. GT, GTA, media server, blu-rays (heck, the one I have plays PS2 games too)...

A 100' HDMI cable does not a media server make.

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 10:41 SpectralMeat

I dont buy it. Most people I know are getting the PS4 because they want to play GTAVI or Gran Turismo 7 or whatever, I doubt they will go "Oh damn, no USB support, oh well I guess Im going to skip the Ps4 after all...."
Of course it is a gaming console so people buy them mainly for gaming, but at the same time it makes you scratch your head why they remove things from a brand new console that were there in the previous gen.
Not to mention the Xbone has these features "enabled"
People canceling preorders over his is a bit extreme case of course but I can see why this may upset some people.

Steam: SpectralMeat

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 10:39 InBlack

Well good for you, I would like to add that I think thats a pretty smart decision anyway. Never buy a product you dont really need (or want).  

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 10:36 Ceribaen

Verno wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 10:13:
SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 09:07:
I was using external storage on my PS3 to dump a bunch of kids shows and movies on there, so kids could watch Mighty Machines the 3,000th time without using my internet bandwith via Netflix.
Never managed to get the streaming work from my NAS for some reason.

Anyways I think Sony will change these things down the road, but it is funny readin how people are upset and cancel their preorders over this.

Haha yeah, considering the poor media related features in both consoles at the previous launch I don't know why anyone is upset. It'll come later on and until then there are plenty of alternatives.

Yeah thats why I would want to buy a console today. So I can play MP3s, stream from my PC (lol) and plug in USB sticks. Not that Im buying a console, but if I was thats exactly what I would look for in one.

This is kind of a silly attitude, of course people want to consolidate devices whenever possible. Many people can't or won't run an HDMI cable for logistical (large home) or legal reasons (renting) and that's not a permanent solution for some anyway, many homes don't have a dedicated desktop PC anymore for example and someone else might be using a laptop or etc.

There are a lot of edge case scenarios that media STBs can fulfill and anything that saves space in the entertainment stand is welcome IMHO.

Seeing as how my PS3 does DLNA and music playing and such. I think I'll wait for these features to be re-enabled before buying.

Basically by removing them, I've seen quite a few people like me looking at their ps3 and deciding there's no reason to upgrade in the near future.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 10:33 nin

Pretty much that, exactly.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 10:30 InBlack

Verno wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 10:13:
I was using external storage on my PS3 to dump a bunch of kids shows and movies on there, so kids could watch Mighty Machines the 3,000th time without using my internet bandwith via Netflix.

Anyways I think Sony will change these things down the road, but it is funny readin how people are upset and cancel their preorders over this.

Haha yeah, considering the poor media related features in both consoles at the previous launch I don't know why anyone is upset. It'll come later on and until then there are plenty of alternatives.

Yeah thats why I would want to buy a console today. So I can play MP3s, stream from my PC (lol) and plug in USB sticks. Not that Im buying a console, but if I was thats exactly what I would look for in one.

This is kind of a silly attitude, of course people want to consolidate devices whenever possible. Many people can't or won't run an HDMI cable for logistical (large home) or legal reasons (renting) and that's not a permanent solution for some anyway, many homes don't have a dedicated desktop PC anymore for example and someone else might be using a laptop or etc.

There are a lot of edge case scenarios that media STBs can fulfill and anything that saves space in the entertainment stand is welcome IMHO.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 10:13 Verno

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2013, 10:19.

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 09:33 InBlack

Shineyguy wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 09:28:
InBlack wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 09:06:

Being able to use the Playstation as a media center was one of it's highest selling features. If I had a PS3 I'd use it to stream content laying on my PC all the time to my TV (55" screen vs. 27" screen. You figure out which would normally be better to watch movies and shows on).

As it is, I do use my Xbox 360 to stream with PS3 Media Server running on the PC, but that's a far from perfect solution, and doesn't work for me more times than it does.

The PS4 being unable to do a function such as this will put many people off the purchase path I believe.

Two words: HDMI cable.

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 09:28 Shineyguy

InBlack wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 09:06:

Being able to use the Playstation as a media center was one of it's highest selling features. If I had a PS3 I'd use it to stream content laying on my PC all the time to my TV (55" screen vs. 27" screen. You figure out which would normally be better to watch movies and shows on).

As it is, I do use my Xbox 360 to stream with PS3 Media Server running on the PC, but that's a far from perfect solution, and doesn't work for me more times than it does.

The PS4 being unable to do a function such as this will put many people off the purchase path I believe.

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 09:07 SpectralMeat

Steam: SpectralMeat

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 09:06 InBlack

61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo