Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

41. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 16:18 HorrorScope

Beamer wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 16:09:
HorrorScope wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 15:55:
Beamer wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 13:55:
Heck, I haven't even listened to an mp3 in years.

Making it sound like that is common. What are people using these days for music? I thought is was nearly al MP3/Digital formats.

Spotify.
It has about 90% of what I want, for free.

Oh, I already had 100% of what I want, already paid for and on the devices I use. I get that is a popular option but I can't think just plain having the songs on your own sticks/devices is some type of dinosaur. Digital music in any format is the norm, any one particular format, that I don't know about.

So does PS4 have Spotify?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 16:09 Beamer

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 15:55:

Making it sound like that is common. What are people using these days for music? I thought is was nearly al MP3/Digital formats.

Spotify.
It has about 90% of what I want, for free.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

39. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 16:00 PropheT

Axis wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 15:45:
Seeing how hard drive speed is one of the major bottlenecks today, I'm glad to see Sony remedied this with a hard drive and bandwidth tech from early 2000...

Yea, these articles just prove what many have been saying since the whooping on the wii u specs -- it's not all rosy amazing nextgen for your beloved xbone and ps4 -- it's just plain old upgrading, and in some cases, not an upgrade at all.

It's a 2.5" drive, that's not much different than the standard average drive you see out there right now. It'd be disappointing if the interface wasn't SATA 3 for upgrade reasons down the road, but not surprising and really not that big of a deal anyway.

38. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 15:55 HorrorScope

37. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 15:45 Axis

Seeing how hard drive speed is one of the major bottlenecks today, I'm glad to see Sony remedied this with a hard drive and bandwidth tech from early 2000...

Yea, these articles just prove what many have been saying since the whooping on the wii u specs -- it's not all rosy amazing nextgen for your beloved xbone and ps4 -- it's just plain old upgrading, and in some cases, not an upgrade at all.

Yours truly,

Axis

36. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 15:35 John

SimplyMonk wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 14:49:
If you have an iOS device, you can use this Logitech app for free:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/touch-mouse/id338237450

Works pretty well. I was able to play Scrolls and a few other turn based games when my daughter was a newborn and using me for a bed. Perfectly fine for navigating, browsing and loading up videos.
Cool! I was actually just talking about remote desktop apps like LogMeIn to play media and such from my PC, but that's good too!

This space is available for rent

35. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 15:13 Jivaro

The media streaming was a big part of why I bought the PS3. Xbox couldn't do it, PS3 could.
Thing is, by the time I actually got around to it, I'd replaced virtually all media streaming needs with Netflix and Amazon, along with the occasional on-demand rental via my cable box.

All of that was exactly the same for me, plus I didn't have to pay a monthly fee to use services I was already paying a monthly fee for. Just like you said, I didn't end up using any of it. Ironically I even ended up getting PS+, which has been awesome in terms of content for both my PS3 and PS Vita, so I ended up paying the subscription as well. Obviously I could let it drop and still get Amazon, Netflix, etc, but the whole thing only proved to me that ultimately I buy a game console to play console games and everything else is just a bonus that probably shouldn't affect my buying preferences a whole lot.

34. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 15:08 SpectralMeat

SimplyMonk wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 14:49:
SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 13:59:
John wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 13:34:
Then I can use my phone or tablet to wirelessly control my PC to play anything I want.
How do you do that?

Works pretty well. I was able to play Scrolls and a few other turn based games when my daughter was a newborn and using me for a bed. Perfectly fine for navigating, browsing and loading up videos.
Thanks!

Steam: SpectralMeat

33. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 14:49 SimplyMonk

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 13:59:
Then I can use my phone or tablet to wirelessly control my PC to play anything I want.
How do you do that?

32. Call of Duty and Battlefield are higher-res on PS4 than Xbox One Oct 31, 2013, 14:28 Quboid

Digital Foundry also had a chance to take a look at both Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions of Battlefield 4. Once again, the Xbox One version runs at 720p, while PS4 runs at 1600x900, giving it about 50 percent more pixels.

The hell? Aren't these both supposed to be next gen consoles? Shouldn't they at least push PCs at the time of their launch? I'd expect PCs to walk all over a console several years after it's released, not several years before. Are the console versions of BF4 doing something more than the PC version?

- Quboid

31. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 13:59 SpectralMeat

How do you do that?

Steam: SpectralMeat

30. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 13:55 Beamer

The media streaming was a big part of why I bought the PS3. Xbox couldn't do it, PS3 could.
Thing is, by the time I actually got around to it, I'd replaced virtually all media streaming needs with Netflix and Amazon, along with the occasional on-demand rental via my cable box.

So, it bugs me a bit that they removed it, but I used it maybe 3 times. And it never worked all that well. I instead just use the services, one of which is much better on the Xbox (Amazon's picture quality seems significantly better there) and one of which seems a good amount better on the PS3 (Netflix.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

29. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 13:40 mch

Hope they add this back in. I use my PS3 quite a bit for streaming audio and video from my PC.

It's certainly not the biggest deal, but seems a bit unnecessary. It also removes the capability to create custom playlists for games that support them.

PSN: CaseDesignate

28. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 13:34 John

Shineyguy wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 13:19:
HDMI cables are great.. IF you have your PC right next to your TV. Those of us that don't live at home with our parents and have our own places, usually don't put our computers right next to our televisions.
You can get long HDMI cables for pretty cheap nowadays. I plan to run one from my computer through the wall and/or ceiling over to my TV. Then I can use my phone or tablet to wirelessly control my PC to play anything I want.

This space is available for rent

27. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 13:32 Agent.X7

The first thing that I will do with my new PS4 is rip out that slow ass 5400rpm, 500GB drive and replace it with a hybrid or 7400rpm drive with a TB of space.

Wait...This is starting to sound suspiciously like a PC upgrade...

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

26. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 13:19 Shineyguy

InBlack wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 09:33:
Shineyguy wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 09:28:
InBlack wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 09:06:
Yeah thats why I would want to buy a console today. So I can play MP3s, stream from my PC (lol) and plug in USB sticks. Not that Im buying a console, but if I was thats exactly what I would look for in one.

Being able to use the Playstation as a media center was one of it's highest selling features. If I had a PS3 I'd use it to stream content laying on my PC all the time to my TV (55" screen vs. 27" screen. You figure out which would normally be better to watch movies and shows on).

As it is, I do use my Xbox 360 to stream with PS3 Media Server running on the PC, but that's a far from perfect solution, and doesn't work for me more times than it does.

The PS4 being unable to do a function such as this will put many people off the purchase path I believe.

Two words: HDMI cable.

HDMI cables are great.. IF you have your PC right next to your TV. Those of us that don't live at home with our parents and have our own places, usually don't put our computers right next to our televisions.

25. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 13:01 Verno

> Loaded scenario
> Ironically incorrect
> A ForgedReality Post

Calling people on Bluesnews casual is also pretty amusing.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

24. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 12:55 ForgedReality

> "Next-gen"
> Slow, low-end hardware
> No games that look as good as PC games from a couple of years ago.

Have fun casual consolers!

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 12:47 Creston

nin wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 11:45:
Prez wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 11:43:
Creston wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 11:13:
So, no USB key support? So if your internet connection is slow as fuck, as mine is, you can't download the latest update somewhere, put it on a USB key, and update the PS4's firmware that way?

THAT.FUCKING.SUCKS.SONY.

Nuthin' to see here, carry on!

No take-backs on the internet!!

Creston gets 5 minutes locked in the closet with dunder!

But... but... bu...

Dunce

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 12:35 Jivaro

My gut tells me this won't be a big deal to most PS4 customers. I am totally generalizing and have zero way of backing this up, but I think most console gamers won't notice this or care about it. This forum is made up of individuals that will notice. We are PC gamers, we like options and features. The mainstream console gamer on the other hand buys a console to game. Being able to use Amazon Prime or Netflix is a huge bonus as well but it makes it hard to sell "smart" TVs if you are also selling "smart" consoles. I think Sony is trying to see what exactly they have to put in and what they can get away with leaving out. Things like external storage, CDs, etc don't really seem like they factor into the mainstream console gamer's buying choices when looking at it from a very stereotyped and generalized perspective.

I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. Something tells me if I am wrong (which makes Sony wrong) we will see support for these feature patched in rather quickly however. I see external media storage support being one of the first things if they really expect people to do most of their purchases through digital distribution this generation. I mean some of the launch titles are 25-40 GB in size so storage will be at a premium and I just can't see the mainstream being happy with having to switch internal drives or deleting and redownloading games. Unless of course Sony has plans on selling some sort of proprietary external hard drive for the system. That would suck for all the obvious reasons, but it would also provide a solution.

61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo