Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3

CD Projekt RED has a statement on their Official Blog re-stating their hard-line stance against DRM for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, saying that while the game will be distributed on Steam where it will be protected by Steamworks, on all platforms within their control, their RPG sequel will have no digital rights management whatsoever:

Hey, following our recent announcement of the distribution deals of The Witcher 3 in North America and Europe, there have been some concerns regarding DRM and previous legal issues with The Witcher 2. Weíve seen a lot of comments in various places around the web and we would like to join in on the conversation.

Iíd like to say it loud and clear: The PC version of The Witcher 3 will have absolutely no DRM from day 0. Zero. Zip. Nada. It doesnít matter if you choose to buy it on GOG.com and support us directly or buy the game in box format, youíll still get the 100% DRM-free experience. And this goes for the whole world.

Weíve fiddled with DRM in the past (Oh boy! How young and naÔve we were;)) and thatís enough. Lesson learned.
Having said that, Iíd like to thank you for your continuous support. Youíve bought six million copies of the Witcher games so far. Whoo-hoo! Letís celebrate. Here, have some cake!

UPDATE:

Itíll be on Steam; the team isnít going to exclude that community by any means. Gamers have a choice in where they buy their games, but where CDPR does have control ó like GOG.com ó there will be absolutely no DRM.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

19. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 31, 2013, 01:00 Suppa7

Sepharo wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 00:28:
If your post was just these first two sentences I would assume that you were being satirical. But based on the rest of what you wrote I guess you're serious. You really think the Witcher is a movie game close to Heavy Rain.

Heavy rain is a bad example I agree but any game that removes participation is necessarily bad. All you can really do in the witcher is walk around, talk and watch auto combat. It's very close to quick time events with the ability to equip things.

While many people may be fans of bioware RPG's for their story, their gameplay has always been horrible. I've never been a fan of auto-combat RPG's. It's very close to quick time events because all you have to do is move, put on armor then watch the combat. You take out the equipment aspect and it's very close to a sequence of QTE with the ability to walk in real time.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 31, 2013, 00:28 Sepharo

Suppa7 wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 00:22:
The reason the witcher is so meh is because it's totally a MODERN game, it has no gameplay to speak of and is just one giant movie. The witcher is a modern story based game, something close to heavy rain.

If your post was just these first two sentences I would assume that you were being satirical. But based on the rest of what you wrote I guess you're serious. You really think the Witcher is a movie game close to Heavy Rain.

17. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 31, 2013, 00:22 Suppa7

NewMaxx wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 00:08:
Cutter wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 20:37:
Nah, let's face it, the consenus is people either really like these games a lot or just find them really meh. I'm in the meh category.

Me too. I'm also in the "meh" category for Game of Thrones.

The reason the witcher is so meh is because it's totally a MODERN game, it has no gameplay to speak of and is just one giant movie. The witcher is a modern story based game, something closer quick time heavy games similar to heavy rain.

But to be honest many RPG's have always had movie wannabe's behind them. You can see this in early JRPG's even with Chrono trigger, final fantasy, etc. Modern game devs figured out they could remove the complicated combat systems and just sell a computer rendered movie to the brianless masses.

So I approach these games as I would a movie not as a game. Baldurs gate and torment both have the same problem where the gameplay is fully automated and there is heavy emphasis on story. Traditional D&D RPG's on the PC that actually had gameplay were the oldschool eye of the beholders, ultima's, lands of lore, etc.

I consider infinity engine based RPG's as the early road to movie based RPG's since the gameplay is basically removed from the player because it's all automated and casualized. There is really minimal participation beyond reading multiple choice diaologue and solving puzzles. This is especially true in torment.

Most game developers focus on what is easy and developing a fun rpg combat system is hard so they crater and just do easy shit like story and graphics.

That's the one thing I really hate about CD Projekt the developer makes the worst kind of mainstream game. They really don't get classic RPG combat gameplay and just go for modern movie based game.

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2013, 01:01.

16. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 31, 2013, 00:08 NewMaxx

Nah, let's face it, the consenus is people either really like these games a lot or just find them really meh. I'm in the meh category.

Me too. I'm also in the "meh" category for Game of Thrones. To me they're both just excuses to act or seem "mature" through sex, politics, and action sequences. For me, fantasy should be just that: fantasy. Give me a hero (and a sidekick or best friend), a villain (with appropriate minions), a love interest (with something to keep them apart), and a MacGuffin (with plenty of sidetracks). Obviously that doesn't have to be the sole or exact template, I'm just explaining the difference.

An example of a game fitting this would be FF2 (which has no sex, no convoluted politics, and no QTE's or asinine combat/crafting components) and of entertainment media, the Harry Potter series (same deal). Then again I guess if I want a "mature" fantasy RPG I need to randomly sleep with chicks, roll dice, fistfight, and dodge my way around enemies. Or perhaps I need gratuitous violence and sex, incest, rape, murder, etc.

Fact is, I can already get all of that in real life. I get enough of it as it is. Sometimes I just want to enjoy an RPG or fantasy where I actually have some attachment or connection with the protagonist...I'm sorry but Geralt does nothing for me. Quite frankly, The Witcher series to me feels like it harkens back to the action-style RPGs on consoles, which I have no problem with but to embrace games like that and then turn around and shun console players is hypocritical. Seriously, The Witcher 2 did not feel at home on a PC except for the graphics and the pointlessly complex crafting. Then again I could say the same for Dark Souls, which I also didn't care for, for similar reasons.

That being said I do appreciate CD Projekt's efforts with GOG and on DRM, even if their past with it is not spotless.

15. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 30, 2013, 23:59 Jivaro

Ladron3dfx wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 23:45:
A hard line against DRM but allows its game to be DRM'd on Steam with Steamworks.

CD Projeckt makes no damn sense.

It makes perfect sense. Steam users who wish to purchase the game through Steam can. It's called "giving the customer what they want" and it really isn't that hard of a concept. As they said, you have the choice to buy it where you want. You aren't a Steam fan, so buy it from someone else and you don't have to worry about it. I am not against Steam however many of it's features that other people seem to value really don't interest me. Consequently I would buy a non-DRM version from someone else most likely. That doesn't mean my preferences get to dictate the preferences of someone else. Nor does it mean that CD Projeckt should turn down an obviously huge financial opportunity by selling the game through the single largest game distributor on the platform.

How in the world does that not make sense?

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2013, 00:05.

14. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 30, 2013, 23:58 Suppa7

Ladron3dfx wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 23:45:
A hard line against DRM but allows its game to be DRM'd on Steam with Steamworks.

They are merely capturing the sales of people who don't give a rats ass about whether a game has DRM or not via steam. It's not like you can't buy the non-DRM'd version from GOG.com. As long as there is a non-DRM version I'm a-ok, let the morons buy the steam infested version. We can't get rid of morons, the will always be with us. So it makes business sense to profit off them.

13. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 30, 2013, 23:45 Ladron3dfx

Steamworks

12. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 30, 2013, 23:33 MxxCon

I really hope piracy groups will respect this company and hold off on releasing this game right away..  

11. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 30, 2013, 23:32 MxxCon

Redmask wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 22:50:
Nah, let's face it, the consenus is people either really like these games a lot or just find them really meh.

That describes pretty much everyone about everything.
meh

10. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 30, 2013, 22:50 Redmask

Nah, let's face it, the consenus is people either really like these games a lot or just find them really meh.

That describes pretty much everyone about everything.

9. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 30, 2013, 22:35 Taskeen

Love these games. Just something about this fantasy setting from Poland is very striking. The music is also amazing and really gives it that old world feel and immersion.  

8. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 30, 2013, 20:56 Fantaz

Nah, let's face it, the consenus is people either really like these games a lot or just find them really meh. I'm in the meh category. I will not be giving them anymore money even though I appreciate what they're doing. I just hope they don't trash Cyberpunk 2077 and make it meh too.

really looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077 and more cyberpunk games...

7. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 30, 2013, 20:37 Cutter

Nah, let's face it, the consenus is people either really like these games a lot or just find them really meh. I'm in the meh category. I will not be giving them anymore money even though I appreciate what they're doing. I just hope they don't trash Cyberpunk 2077 and make it meh too.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

6. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 30, 2013, 20:18 Creston

CD Projekt is awesome.  

5. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 30, 2013, 20:14 jdreyer

I have yet to finish one, or even start two, but I may have to pick this up for the simple fact that CD Projekt RED is so awesome.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

4. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 30, 2013, 20:01 Icewind

Considering they gave me two free copies of the first Witcher and one free copy of the second, I might as well just wait until they give me a free copy of the third as well. Seriously. I think CDP borrowed Valve's strategy with L4D: Basically hand it away in cracker jack boxes in an effort to get people to bite the line.

Not taking away from the games though, which are quite good.

3. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 30, 2013, 19:48 Alamar

I really should play through the first two...

-Alamar

2. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 30, 2013, 19:46 nin

Yes it sounds like a damned sales pitch, but they damn well deserve it.

Hey, if you're going to worship one company, they're a great choice.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 30, 2013, 19:34 NetHead

It's hard not to support CD Projekt. Quality games aside the way they treat their customers and fans is shockingly good compared to others these days.

I remember at one point they sent out threatening letters to IP addresses suspected of downloading their games (a very dodgy and inaccurate thing to do), though today they do DRM free digital distribution even putting their own AAA games on GOG.com

I can't think of a better example of going from having one's head up their own arse to suddenly placing it almost perfectly on their shoulders.

There's no-one in the industry I'm more eager to support even if they didn't make such quality games that I personally enjoy.

Yes it sounds like a damned sales pitch, but they damn well deserve it.

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo