Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3

CD Projekt RED has a statement on their Official Blog re-stating their hard-line stance against DRM for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, saying that while the game will be distributed on Steam where it will be protected by Steamworks, on all platforms within their control, their RPG sequel will have no digital rights management whatsoever:

Hey, following our recent announcement of the distribution deals of The Witcher 3 in North America and Europe, there have been some concerns regarding DRM and previous legal issues with The Witcher 2. Weíve seen a lot of comments in various places around the web and we would like to join in on the conversation.

Iíd like to say it loud and clear: The PC version of The Witcher 3 will have absolutely no DRM from day 0. Zero. Zip. Nada. It doesnít matter if you choose to buy it on GOG.com and support us directly or buy the game in box format, youíll still get the 100% DRM-free experience. And this goes for the whole world.

Weíve fiddled with DRM in the past (Oh boy! How young and naÔve we were;)) and thatís enough. Lesson learned.
Having said that, Iíd like to thank you for your continuous support. Youíve bought six million copies of the Witcher games so far. Whoo-hoo! Letís celebrate. Here, have some cake!

UPDATE:

Itíll be on Steam; the team isnít going to exclude that community by any means. Gamers have a choice in where they buy their games, but where CDPR does have control ó like GOG.com ó there will be absolutely no DRM.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Nov 1, 2013, 19:03 Sepharo

Quinn wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 05:53:
Sepharo wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 23:09:
Creston wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 11:32:
Quinn wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 05:28:
I agree with you that the literal fucking around and fumb fistfights are unnecessary. In any other game -- like God of War an GTA (the sex) -- I know it's put in there to bring in the youth group that only just found out that shaking their cock feels good and are in their Compulsive Masturbation Disorder period. But in The Witcher's case I don't feel that way -- it really makes that disgusting world complete.

It always seems weird to me that Geralt says he loves Trish so much, but never really hesitates at the opportunity to stick his dick in whatever succubus (literally) happens to be available.

I always make him keep it in his pants, except for one playthrough where I just played him as not really giving a shit about Trish anyway.

He's like that in the books too. From what I remember he loved some sorceress (Yennefer?) and she died so now he fucks everything that may slightly remind him of her. He's a broken dude.

edit: Hmm after looking it up I don't think she died... I think I'm mixing a few stories up. But Wikipedia says this so I think it's still her that he's obsessed with all the time, "Yennefer is Geralt's "soul mate" although their relationship is difficult and full of drama. Both Geralt and Yennefer are sterile, which adds another level of tragedy to the mix."

Yennefer is taken by the "Wild Hunt" before Geralt's amnesia. The Wild Hunt is thought to be a bunch of immortal specters -- actually, scientists think more of it as a "phenomenon". As Gertalt's memory returns more fully in The Witcher 2, he finds out the Wild Hunt are some sort of "elves" of pure evil from an entirely different dimension. By the end of The Witcher 2 he knows they probably still have Yennefer.

The Witcher 3 will be all about that, I think. I can't wait to finally bring the fight to the fuckers of the Wild Hunt!

I gotta be honest I played half of the first game and not event a fifth of the second. I'm more into the books. Going to be reading the third translated book next week during a long vacation with lots of downtime.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Nov 1, 2013, 05:53 Quinn

Sepharo wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 23:09:
I agree with you that the literal fucking around and fumb fistfights are unnecessary. In any other game -- like God of War an GTA (the sex) -- I know it's put in there to bring in the youth group that only just found out that shaking their cock feels good and are in their Compulsive Masturbation Disorder period. But in The Witcher's case I don't feel that way -- it really makes that disgusting world complete.

It always seems weird to me that Geralt says he loves Trish so much, but never really hesitates at the opportunity to stick his dick in whatever succubus (literally) happens to be available.

I always make him keep it in his pants, except for one playthrough where I just played him as not really giving a shit about Trish anyway.

He's like that in the books too. From what I remember he loved some sorceress (Yennefer?) and she died so now he fucks everything that may slightly remind him of her. He's a broken dude.

edit: Hmm after looking it up I don't think she died... I think I'm mixing a few stories up. But Wikipedia says this so I think it's still her that he's obsessed with all the time, "Yennefer is Geralt's "soul mate" although their relationship is difficult and full of drama. Both Geralt and Yennefer are sterile, which adds another level of tragedy to the mix."

Yennefer is taken by the "Wild Hunt" before Geralt's amnesia. The Wild Hunt is thought to be a bunch of immortal specters -- actually, scientists think more of it as a "phenomenon". As Gertalt's memory returns more fully in The Witcher 2, he finds out the Wild Hunt are some sort of "elves" of pure evil from an entirely different dimension. By the end of The Witcher 2 he knows they probably still have Yennefer.

The Witcher 3 will be all about that, I think. I can't wait to finally bring the fight to the fuckers of the Wild Hunt!

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

37. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Nov 1, 2013, 00:59 Ladron3dfx

http://youtu.be/1ArCuvNEwU0

Create a anti-DRM logo along with an anti-DRM statement, create a video stating their stance on DRM, embed their product with Steamworks DRM on Steam, update with clarification about Steam & attempts to absolve themselves by stating ",but where CDPR does have control".

Whatever.

I'm eating my Halloween candy, so what do I care. Wink

Steamworks

36. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 31, 2013, 23:09 Sepharo

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2013, 23:15.

35. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 31, 2013, 18:14 Taskeen

nin wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 11:40:

Hey hey hey...let's not be judgmental!

... The player has the choices, you don't even have to have Geralt bone every Woman.

34. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 31, 2013, 15:21 Jivaro

nin wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 11:40:

I am not sure I find the concept that a guy doesn't equate love to sex as being all that weird. Or even unusual. It's pretty common in reality let alone a fictional fantasy book/game.

Besides, who doesn't secretly want to bang a succubus?

33. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 31, 2013, 13:19 jdreyer

Julio wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 06:57:
Ladron3dfx wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 23:45:
A hard line against DRM but allows its game to be DRM'd on Steam with Steamworks.

Some people prefer DRM, so sadly they have to cater to that market.

It's not that people "like DRM." It's that Steam offers compelling features like massive sale discounts, social networking, easy multiplayer gaming, and fast stable downloads that make their rather innocuous DRM tolerable.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

32. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 31, 2013, 13:06 Quinn

Yup, that felt weird to me too. I, too, played the game being loyal to Triss, and then another replay being a manwhore for curiousity's sake.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

31. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 31, 2013, 11:40 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

30. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 31, 2013, 11:32 Creston

29. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 31, 2013, 09:42 Frijoles

Pigeon wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 08:51:
I hope the 3rd is more like the 1st one than the 2nd. The 2nd one got hit by a heavy dose of consolfication; more QTEs, combat wasn't as good, and the crafting and inventory system weren't so good.

I prefer #2. I think that's because of the objective/quest flow, though. I've tried to play Witcher 1 a few times, but I always quit in the same place. And my friends all stopped in the same place as well. Right when you leave the town and get to that island with the green druid chicks on it. It seems like the questing fell apart right there.

28. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 31, 2013, 08:51 Pigeon

Cutter wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 20:37:
Nah, let's face it, the consenus is people either really like these games a lot or just find them really meh. I'm in the meh category. I will not be giving them anymore money even though I appreciate what they're doing. I just hope they don't trash Cyberpunk 2077 and make it meh too.

I always found them hard to get into, but once I did they were great fun. I think its because there was a lot going on, various quests and things to do, so if I picked the game back up after letting it sit for a bit it took awhile to remember WTF was going on, and what all I needed to do.

I hope the 3rd is more like the 1st one than the 2nd. The 2nd one got hit by a heavy dose of consolfication; more QTEs, combat wasn't as good, and the crafting and inventory system weren't so good.

27. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 31, 2013, 07:13 Redmask

NewMaxx wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 00:08:
Nah, let's face it, the consenus is people either really like these games a lot or just find them really meh. I'm in the meh category.

Me too. I'm also in the "meh" category for Game of Thrones. To me they're both just excuses to act or seem "mature" through sex, politics, and action sequences. For me, fantasy should be just that: fantasy.

Game of Thrones is a television show, it is not a way to 'act mature'. It is entertainment. I don't really care for it but to say that watching a television is somehow enabling people to pretend to be mature is just strange.

26. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 31, 2013, 07:00 DukeFNukem

Julio wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 06:57:
A hard line against DRM but allows its game to be DRM'd on Steam with Steamworks.

They are not catering to 'that' market. People love Steam because it's reliable, easy, fast, and cheap. And the DRM that it uses, from what I can tell, never gets in the way of anything or causes any problems on games that I have purchased from Steam. So for all those good points, that's why people use Steam.

Why make such a silly statement? Most people who use Steam probably don't even know it has DRM.

Just because you aren't afraid of something doesn't it mean it can't kill you...

25. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 31, 2013, 06:59 InBlack

Yeah Im sick of the DRM racket as well. Its like there is DRM mafia extorting developers and publishers to include complicated and expensive DRM solutions in their games. CD Projekt have realized that the investment is simply not worth it. Its a hassle to implement, it usually only pisses off legitimate users and pirates will find a way to bypass it anyway...  

I have a nifty blue line!

24. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 31, 2013, 06:57 Julio

23. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 31, 2013, 06:54 DukeFNukem

NetHead wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 19:34:
It's hard not to support CD Projekt. Quality games aside the way they treat their customers and fans is shockingly good compared to others these days.

I remember at one point they sent out threatening letters to IP addresses suspected of downloading their games (a very dodgy and inaccurate thing to do), though today they do DRM free digital distribution even putting their own AAA games on GOG.com

I can't think of a better example of going from having one's head up their own arse to suddenly placing it almost perfectly on their shoulders.

There's no-one in the industry I'm more eager to support even if they didn't make such quality games that I personally enjoy.

Yes it sounds like a damned sales pitch, but they damn well deserve it.

You make a very good point. But the only reason they have done a 180 on their stance with regard to DRM is because they have realized the reality of the situation. And that is that removing DRM does not effect sales all that much. Obviously, if removing DRM did effect sales to a large extent they wouldn't be doing this "just" to please their customers. "Yeah, we will be bankrupt after this non-DRM relase but it's for the love of our fans". LoL. Ummm, no. They might love their fans but they don't love them THAT much.

DRM free games still sell just as well as DRM infected games for the most part. But hey, if a company can spin a monetary decision into a love for their fans, why not. I would do the same thing.

I still give them credit though for listening to their customers. Something Microsoft feels is no longer necessary for some odd reason.

Microsoft's infamous response to concerned customers. "#DEALWITHIT". I love it.

Just because you aren't afraid of something doesn't it mean it can't kill you...

22. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 31, 2013, 05:28 Quinn

Nah, let's face it, the consenus is people either really like these games a lot or just find them really meh. I'm in the meh category.

Me too. I'm also in the "meh" category for Game of Thrones. To me they're both just excuses to act or seem "mature" through sex, politics, and action sequences. For me, fantasy should be just that: fantasy. Give me a hero (and a sidekick or best friend), a villain (with appropriate minions), a love interest (with something to keep them apart), and a MacGuffin (with plenty of sidetracks). Obviously that doesn't have to be the sole or exact template, I'm just explaining the difference.

An example of a game fitting this would be FF2 (which has no sex, no convoluted politics, and no QTE's or asinine combat/crafting components) and of entertainment media, the Harry Potter series (same deal). Then again I guess if I want a "mature" fantasy RPG I need to randomly sleep with chicks, roll dice, fistfight, and dodge my way around enemies. Or perhaps I need gratuitous violence and sex, incest, rape, murder, etc.

Fact is, I can already get all of that in real life. I get enough of it as it is. Sometimes I just want to enjoy an RPG or fantasy where I actually have some attachment or connection with the protagonist...I'm sorry but Geralt does nothing for me. Quite frankly, The Witcher series to me feels like it harkens back to the action-style RPGs on consoles, which I have no problem with but to embrace games like that and then turn around and shun console players is hypocritical. Seriously, The Witcher 2 did not feel at home on a PC except for the graphics and the pointlessly complex crafting. Then again I could say the same for Dark Souls, which I also didn't care for, for similar reasons.

That being said I do appreciate CD Projekt's efforts with GOG and on DRM, even if their past with it is not spotless.

No idea how you got to the conclusion that Geralt's character fits that of console game characters. It's the complete other way around: the stereotypical template you described, that's console games/chars all the way.

Except for his whore-hoppin' attitude, I love Geralt. He's by far my favorite character. He's complex; chaotic good, sometimes shockingly stoic and other times remarkably empathetic. Yet, somehow it all makes sense.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

21. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 31, 2013, 04:22 InBlack

jdreyer wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 01:56:

Me too. I'm also in the "meh" category for Game of Thrones. To me they're both just excuses to act or seem "mature" through sex, politics, and action sequences. For me, fantasy should be just that: fantasy. Give me a hero (and a sidekick or best friend), a villain (with appropriate minions), a love interest (with something to keep them apart), and a MacGuffin (with plenty of sidetracks). Obviously that doesn't have to be the sole or exact template, I'm just explaining the difference.

An example of a game fitting this would be FF2 (which has no sex, no convoluted politics, and no QTE's or asinine combat/crafting components) and of entertainment media, the Harry Potter series (same deal). Then again I guess if I want a "mature" fantasy RPG I need to randomly sleep with chicks, roll dice, fistfight, and dodge my way around enemies. Or perhaps I need gratuitous violence and sex, incest, rape, murder, etc.

Fact is, I can already get all of that in real life. I get enough of it as it is. Sometimes I just want to enjoy an RPG or fantasy where I actually have some attachment or connection with the protagonist...I'm sorry but Geralt does nothing for me. Quite frankly, The Witcher series to me feels like it harkens back to the action-style RPGs on consoles, which I have no problem with but to embrace games like that and then turn around and shun console players is hypocritical. Seriously, The Witcher 2 did not feel at home on a PC except for the graphics and the pointlessly complex crafting. Then again I could say the same for Dark Souls, which I also didn't care for, for similar reasons.

That being said I do appreciate CD Projekt's efforts with GOG and on DRM, even if their past with it is not spotless.

You're in luck then: your favorite PG model of game (monochrome heroes and villians, sexless, nonpolitical) is the VAST majority games available. Some of us are sick of this whitewashed artificiality, which is why Game of Thrones and The Witcher with their more realistic portrayals of how human beings in such situations might actually act is a breath of fresh air.

Really digging Game of Thrones, the books are vastly superior but Im happy with the show. They are pulling it off on TV show budget, thats just remarkable.

I have a nifty blue line!

20. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 31, 2013, 01:56 jdreyer

You're in luck then: your favorite PG model of game (monochrome heroes and villians, sexless, nonpolitical) is the VAST majority games available. Some of us are sick of this whitewashed artificiality, which is why Game of Thrones and The Witcher with their more realistic portrayals of how human beings in such situations might actually act is a breath of fresh air.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo