Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts

Valve announces a milestone for Steam, saying their online service now boasts 65 million accounts after a 30% growth spurt over the past 12 months:

Valve today announced 30% growth in active accounts during the trailing 12 months on Steam, a leading platform for PC, Mac, and Linux software.

Now offering over 3,000 games and software titles to over 65 million accounts, 2013 also marked Steam's 10 year anniversary of providing services to gamers. Expanding upon that history, Steam gamers saw the introduction of several new service features during the year, including Family Sharing, Steam Trading Cards, Early Access, and support for Linux titles.

Looking ahead to 2014, Valve looks to expand Steam's services and offerings to gamers and developers by holding the Steam Developer Days in Seattle, WA this January and rolling out the recently announced Steam Machines with a variety of hardware partners later in the year.

"The main goal of Steam has always been to increase the quality of the user's experience by reducing the distance between content creators and their audience," said Gabe Newell, co-founder and president of Valve. "As the platform grows, our job is to adapt to the changing needs of both the development and user communities. In the coming year, we plan to make perhaps our most significant collaborations with both communities through the Steam Dev Days and the Steam Machines beta."

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts Oct 31, 2013, 13:52 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 13:28:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 03:18:
......well, almost 500 games later....

I have only about 250 games in my Steam account. I feel so ... inadequate.

Snuggle Truck inc!

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts Oct 31, 2013, 13:28 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 03:18:
......well, almost 500 games later....

I have only about 250 games in my Steam account. I feel so ... inadequate.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

34. Re: Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts Oct 31, 2013, 13:26 jdreyer

InBlack wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 04:31:
Ok maybe a bit offtopic but while we are discussing two accounts maybe someone can help me out with a little Steam problem.

When Skyrim came out years ago I purchased it with a new Steam account. Dont ask me why, I think it was a fresh Win install or something, I had just changed gmail accounts whatever. A few fresh OS installs later Im back on Steam with my old account and managed to merge my old account with my new email adress (which is tied to the Skyrim account) there is a BIG problem though. There is no trace of Skyrim in my game library...

What are my options? Contact Valve, what?

Can you still log into the old new account? I mean the original one with Skyrim in it. I've never merged accounts, so no clue.

Maybe you could repost this in Out of the Blue, since this thread is getting a bit stale. I'm sure someone has done this at some point

33. Re: Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts Oct 31, 2013, 04:31 InBlack

Ok maybe a bit offtopic but while we are discussing two accounts maybe someone can help me out with a little Steam problem.

When Skyrim came out years ago I purchased it with a new Steam account. Dont ask me why, I think it was a fresh Win install or something, I had just changed gmail accounts whatever. A few fresh OS installs later Im back on Steam with my old account and managed to merge my old account with my new email adress (which is tied to the Skyrim account) there is a BIG problem though. There is no trace of Skyrim in my game library...

What are my options? Contact Valve, what?

I have a nifty blue line!

32. Re: Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts Oct 31, 2013, 03:18 xXBatmanXx

I have 2 accounts, 1 was original from HL2 and was my main DoD, CS, and DoD Source account that I played on exclusively. At some point, for some reason, I decided to start buying a couple games on a new account (my current large account) and was using my original account as my DOD admin account for the clans I was in. I think my thoughts at the time was "shit, this Steam thing isnt' going to work out, so I will just buy some games and sell the account next year"......well, almost 500 games later....

Now, not sure what happened, but I forgot about that original account and recently noticed it is one of the (almost) original accounts in Steam. ha!

So I have 2 active accounts on 2 separate machines, and assume I will be giving my original account to my son when he is of age....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

31. Re: Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts Oct 30, 2013, 22:07 Suppa7

PropheT wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 18:35:
Suppa7 wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 16:16:
PropheT wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 16:00:
I don't know why you'd want 2 or 3 accounts anyway,

Any game that requires a login like F2P/MMO often merges with your steam account, if you want to create a new character you're forced to create a new steam account. This is why people have more then one, simply to create new characters because of steam integration.

You can create an account for any of the free to play games on Steam without doing it through Steam, though. Wouldn't that just be an added step that you're better off without?

Nope some online/F2P games went and did some weird things with steam integration. Not all games do it, just some of them.

30. Re: Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts Oct 30, 2013, 21:01 Prez

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 16:15:
I don't know why you'd want 2 or 3 accounts anyway
I think there are goofy reasons to have them for the summer sale. I'm sure someone will pop in and tell us...

I play games like Borderlands, L4D, SupCom, Titan Quest, Dead Island, Battlefield, Sins of A Solar Empire etc etc etc in coop over my LAN at home so I have 2 extra accounts on top of my main one so we can all play together easily. With Steam and humble bundles buying extra copies is majorly cheap and painless.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

29. Re: Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts Oct 30, 2013, 20:27 HorrorScope

Good one would be how many accounts have over 20 games and was played on in the last year? That would be a fair number to go with.  

28. Re: Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts Oct 30, 2013, 20:22 Creston

64 million times your mom doesn't count. BOOM.

27. Re: Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts Oct 30, 2013, 18:41 Cutter

Pfft, whatever. I have 64 million accounts following me and you don't hear me bragging about it.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

26. Re: Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts Oct 30, 2013, 18:35 PropheT

Suppa7 wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 16:16:

Any game that requires a login like F2P/MMO often merges with your steam account, if you want to create a new character you're forced to create a new steam account. This is why people have more then one, simply to create new characters because of steam integration.

You can create an account for any of the free to play games on Steam without doing it through Steam, though. Wouldn't that just be an added step that you're better off without?

25. Re: Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts Oct 30, 2013, 18:16 Redmask

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 17:30:
Valve gets a cut of the microtransactions in exchange for hosting and promoting the game (easily tracked when you have Steam-linked accounts such as in Path of Exile), and/or they sell the stuff as "DLC" for the game directly from the Steam store. Red 5, the developers of Firefall, have talked about it a lot because tons of people ask them why they aren't on Steam. Apparently they think they're better off without it.

Same reason Minecraft isn't on Steam. It will only show up there the day that their store isn't selling enough copies to make payroll for Mojang, only then will they tolerate the 30% cut.

24. Re: Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts Oct 30, 2013, 17:30 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 15:41:
Yeah, but I think Keilun has the right of it. 30% is a huge leap year over year, that's literally millions of people joining. The addition of a bunch of free to play games over the past year is the only thing that could really explain that kind of explosion.

Given that Free to Play people are using Steam resources (Downloading, etc.) I wonder how Valve is offsetting that cost.

Valve gets a cut of the microtransactions in exchange for hosting and promoting the game (easily tracked when you have Steam-linked accounts such as in Path of Exile), and/or they sell the stuff as "DLC" for the game directly from the Steam store. Red 5, the developers of Firefall, have talked about it a lot because tons of people ask them why they aren't on Steam. Apparently they think they're better off without it.

23. Re: Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts Oct 30, 2013, 16:55 Trashy

Grubworm wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 15:57:
WON has came a long way
boo, HEAT is still better..

22. Re: Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts Oct 30, 2013, 16:16 Suppa7

21. Re: Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts Oct 30, 2013, 16:15 Mr. Tact

I don't know why you'd want 2 or 3 accounts anyway
I think there are goofy reasons to have them for the summer sale. I'm sure someone will pop in and tell us...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

20. Re: Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts Oct 30, 2013, 16:00 PropheT

nin wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 15:14:
Slashman wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 15:09:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 14:49:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 12:56:
I would imagine (looks at stats) that Steam is only 20 Million actual accounts. The rest are dupes and 2nd,3rd,4th accounts (see mess that was holiday sale).
I was gonna guess 5 million when you don't count abandoned accounts. Might be higher than that...

It cannot be 5 million if their usage numbers regularly hit 4.5 million. The world doesn't exist in a single timezone.

6 million plus.

6 million plus concurrent users means that if there is an abandoned or duplicate account inflation to the overall number, it's not by much.

I don't know why you'd want 2 or 3 accounts anyway, especially if you buy games... It's not like they're transferable. It's like having two accounts on Amazon, I'm sure some people have done it but there's no really good reason for the vast majority of users to have ever considered doing it.

19. Re: Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts Oct 30, 2013, 15:57 Grubworm

WON has came a long way  

18. Re: Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts Oct 30, 2013, 15:50 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 15:38:
I wonder what they consider an 'active' account. Even so, that's an insane number.

PC GAMING SO DEAD OMG!

I thought the EA quarterly revenue numbers were interesting yesterday:

Xbox Rev - 167 Mil
PS3 Rev - 131 Mil
PC Rev - 274 Mil

Consoles combined still beat the PC, but not only is PC larger as a single unit, but it is also more stable, fluctuating less than the console revenue on a quarterly basis. It's a very reliable revenue stream for them.

17. Re: Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts Oct 30, 2013, 15:41 jdreyer

ViRGE wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 14:22:
Keilun wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 13:56:
Verno wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 13:17:
This came up in the past, I think they qualify an account as anything with a purchase. Of course that purchase can be a single copy of Snuggle Truck, Half-Life 1 or it might be an account with thousands of games. Judging by the concurrent user numbers I have no problem believing there are roughly 25-30 million accounts that are used on a regular basis though.

With the number of F2P games (TF2, PoE, etc.) on Steam these days, counting accounts with purchases doesn't make much sense anymore. So it's probably now based on account activity in past X months?

Either way, they're impressive numbers.
F2P games don't count as purchases, the last I heard. You have to actually spend money through Steam to count.

Yeah, but I think Keilun has the right of it. 30% is a huge leap year over year, that's literally millions of people joining. The addition of a bunch of free to play games over the past year is the only thing that could really explain that kind of explosion.

Given that Free to Play people are using Steam resources (Downloading, etc.) I wonder how Valve is offsetting that cost.

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo