Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Rocksmith 2014 Smashing Pumpkins DLC

Steam now offers new Smashing Pumpkins DLC for Rocksmith 2014, so owners of the music game sequel can party like it's 1979. The songs included are Today, Bullet with Butterfly Wings, 1979, Disarm, and Tonight, Tonight.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Rocksmith 2014 Smashing Pumpkins DLC Oct 31, 2013, 04:44 InBlack

Thanks for all the feedback, I think Im probably going to pick it up. I usually learn new songs by ear and only use tabs when trying to learn a particularly hard solo part, but from all the feedback here this might be an ideal and user friendly practice tool. Which is exactly what Im looking for. If it turns out to be a dud I can always gift it away right? (Is it tied to a Steam account?)  

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Rocksmith 2014 Smashing Pumpkins DLC Oct 30, 2013, 15:52 Bodolza

LesCaster wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 15:19:
Does the newer version let you jump right in at any difficulty or do you still have to work your way up?

The new Riff Repeater lets you max the difficultly for the full song in one go.

10. Re: Rocksmith 2014 Smashing Pumpkins DLC Oct 30, 2013, 15:24 LesCaster

Bodolza wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 14:56:
LesCaster,

Here's some video from 2014. Does this one look simple to you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY7MHSnxvEU

My beef was less about the simplicity of the songs and more about the dumbed-down arrangements. As I stated in my last post, perhaps I should have put in more time for the difficulty level to increase. I just found myself getting bored with the experience before that ever happened.

It was more of an experiment for me to see if I would enjoy a different approach to learning. In the end, good old-fashioned tabs with audio backing tracks where the guitar is removed is still my preferred method for learning new songs.

I once prayed to god for a bike, but quickly found out he didnt work that way...so I stole a bike and prayed for his forgiveness.

9. Re: Rocksmith 2014 Smashing Pumpkins DLC Oct 30, 2013, 15:19 LesCaster

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 14:20:
Are you certain that your perception of such wasn't down to the dynamic difficulty system? Like it wasn't showing you all the notes because you hadn't built up the level of mastery yet?

That's entirely possible. I don't know how high the difficulty would have ultimately ramped had I stuck with it but I guess I was looking for a more challenging experience going in. Since I didn't get that, I quickly grew bored with it and moved on. Does the newer version let you jump right in at any difficulty or do you still have to work your way up?

I once prayed to god for a bike, but quickly found out he didnt work that way...so I stole a bike and prayed for his forgiveness.

8. Re: Rocksmith 2014 Smashing Pumpkins DLC Oct 30, 2013, 14:56 Bodolza

LesCaster,

Here's some video from 2014. Does this one look simple to you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY7MHSnxvEU

7. Re: Rocksmith 2014 Smashing Pumpkins DLC Oct 30, 2013, 14:20 jacobvandy

LesCaster wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 13:11:
I bought the original when it first came out and within a week wound up giving it away to a friend of mine who was just starting out on guitar. I've been playing guitar (non-professionally) for over 30 years and I had no illusions that Rocksmith was going to teach me something new. However, I figured it would at least teach me some solos/riffs I wanted to learn in a fun, interactive way. My main disappointment came from the over-simplified versions of many of the songs. If your looking for note-for-note accurate renditions of your favorite songs, you won't find them here, and that's ultimately what ruined it for me. For someone just starting out, I could definitely see the value here. If you've been playing for more than a few years, I'd skip it, or at least try before you buy.

They've improved a lot in the accuracy department in the 2014 version (even upgraded the older songs/DLC), mainly because they just didn't have support for a lot of the techniques that they do now. They switched up the arrangements some, too, which is hit or miss. They have you choose "Lead" or "Rhythm" guitar as an overall game mode just like you can choose to play bass, which is a step down from just letting you pick the arrangement you wanted to play like before. And it's hard to say exactly without knowing what "over-simplifications" you're referring to, but I'm sure you're aware that tabs in general are up to the interpretation of the author. They've got plenty of pro musicians and advisers at this studio putting that stuff together. Even if I have to just take that on faith until I'm at the level where I can evaluate the accuracy myself, lol.

Are you certain that your perception of such wasn't down to the dynamic difficulty system? Like it wasn't showing you all the notes because you hadn't built up the level of mastery yet?

6. Re: Rocksmith 2014 Smashing Pumpkins DLC Oct 30, 2013, 14:12 Cutter

Despite all mah rage I r still just a rat in a cage!

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

5. Re: Rocksmith 2014 Smashing Pumpkins DLC Oct 30, 2013, 13:11 LesCaster

InBlack wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 10:26:
Im really thinking of buying this, to improve my solo improvization, the 'sessions' demo looked quite impressive. Im worried though that it might be a bit low level for me and slightly gimmicky. Anyone have any experience with the original Rocksmith perhaps or maybe this piece of software, will a seasoned guitar player find anything of value in it?

I bought the original when it first came out and within a week wound up giving it away to a friend of mine who was just starting out on guitar. I've been playing guitar (non-professionally) for over 30 years and I had no illusions that Rocksmith was going to teach me something new. However, I figured it would at least teach me some solos/riffs I wanted to learn in a fun, interactive way. My main disappointment came from the over-simplified versions of many of the songs. If your looking for note-for-note accurate renditions of your favorite songs, you won't find them here, and that's ultimately what ruined it for me. For someone just starting out, I could definitely see the value here. If you've been playing for more than a few years, I'd skip it, or at least try before you buy.

4. Re: Rocksmith 2014 Smashing Pumpkins DLC Oct 30, 2013, 12:27 Bodolza

Session mode works pretty well. I'm not sure what you think makes it "low level". There's a lot of styles and customizations you can do in session mode. You can have the band do the standard 12 bars blues, just stick to one chord, or mix it up more or less frequently. I do wish they'd show you the actual chord names for the changes instead of just the notes. It's also a bit odd to be the one driving the beat instead of the drummer.

I spend most of my time in the "Learn a Song" section, which is most definitely not low level. There's easier songs, but some of the stuff requires absolutely mastery of the guitar.

3. Re: Rocksmith 2014 Smashing Pumpkins DLC Oct 30, 2013, 12:25 jacobvandy

Well obviously session mode will put out what you put in. It's basically a virtual studio where you can experiment with endless different tones and effects and back-up instruments to provide structure. A lot of people are saying that that's the main attraction of this new version. The rest of the game is all about honing techniques and building up proficiency by playing along with songs new and old. You play them note for note in their exact tuning (first game only had standard and drop-D, now they have like a dozen in total including E-flat, D-standard, or just slightly off standard), including bends and slides, vibrato, harmonics, and even tapping. There are no gimmicks here, it's an interactive UI for tabs that are as detailed and accurate as they could be.

I've been playing for a couple years, started with Rock Band 3 pro mode but that turned out to really be only a half-way point bridging music games and actual music. It was a real guitar that you could plug into an amp and play with, but the way they set up the technology with the game, you had to mute the strings and just send information on what you were fretting; it only listened for tone to see that you were actually plucking a string to go along with that. Rocksmith is completely different, and made it so much more fun and interesting. You actually play the instrument, and the game listens to make sure you're hitting the right notes at the right time. It requires your guitar be in tune, unlike RB3, and your playing is piped in with the song in real-time so that you can hear yourself as you go (I like to mix myself a little louder than the music), so you know more from the way it sounds that you messed up, than from actual UI feedback saying "MISS" or "LATE."

So yeah, it is best as a teaching tool, but how "seasoned" are you anyway? There are easy songs in the mix that are still enjoyable IMO, but unless you scoff at matching Pantera, Slayer, Iron Maiden, etc., there's something for you to do. They have DLCs from Megadeth, Judas Priest, Pearl Jam, Avenged Sevenfold, Skynyrd, and others that will surely test your skills. Lots of more intermediate songs in there that you might enjoy learning to play. Also the Guitarcade mini-games that are purely about practicing techniques.

2. Re: Rocksmith 2014 Smashing Pumpkins DLC Oct 30, 2013, 12:20 Wowbagger_TIP

I just got RS2014 yesterday, along with a guitar, and I'm trying to learn from scratch. Never played at all before. This is gonna be interesting  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

1. Re: Rocksmith 2014 Smashing Pumpkins DLC Oct 30, 2013, 10:26 InBlack

Im really thinking of buying this, to improve my solo improvization, the 'sessions' demo looked quite impressive. Im worried though that it might be a bit low level for me and slightly gimmicky. Anyone have any experience with the original Rocksmith perhaps or maybe this piece of software, will a seasoned guitar player find anything of value in it?  

I have a nifty blue line!

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo