Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed

The Command & Conquer website has news of the cancellation of the upcoming free-to-play Command & Conquer revival, and Polygon has word that this also means the closure of its developer Victory Studios. "The team at Victory Games will be disbanded," an Electronic Arts spokesperson told Polygon. "Wherever possible, we are working to help these talented people find other opportunities within EA." Here's word from the website:

Thank you for your participation over the last few months in the Command & Conquer closed alpha test. Itís been much appreciated, and youíve been instrumental in helping define what a new Command & Conquer experience should and shouldnít be.

Part of being in a creative team is the understanding that not all of your choices are going to work out. In this case, we shifted the game away from campaign mode and built an economy-based, multiplayer experience. Your feedback from the alpha trial is clear: We are not making the game you want to play. That is why, after much difficult deliberation, we have decided to cease production of this version of the game. Although we deeply respect the great work done by our talented team, ultimately itís about getting you the game you expect and deserve.

Over the next 10 days we will be refunding any and all money spent in the alpha. If you have a question about your refund, please contact help.ea.com.

We believe that Command & Conquer is a powerful franchise with huge potential and a great history, and we are determined to get the best game made as soon as possible. To that end, we have already begun looking at a number of alternatives to get the game back on track. We look forward to sharing more news about the franchise as it develops. Thank you again for your participation and support.

View
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

59. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Nov 1, 2013, 01:04 Mashiki Amiketo

FalconerHG wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 05:10:

I played the game at Gamescom and I have to disagree: it looked very bland.
That's nice, I've been playing it up until the last month since I was invited to the closed alpha. What it was there, wasn't indicative of where it was at in the last 30 days.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

58. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 30, 2013, 14:16 BobBob

I hope they find other jobs. The economy has been quite rough lately.  

57. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 30, 2013, 13:52 Creston

Loopy wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 22:30:
EA's F2P Ultima Forever was such a success it was compared to COW CLICKER in at least one review. I dunno what you guys are all happy about. F2P C&C obviously would have been a stellar game.

Shit, I didn't know that had come out already... What a fucking travesty.

And dipshits wonder why people hate EA.

56. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 30, 2013, 10:40 Beamer

Verno wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 09:30:
RollinThundr wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 09:25:
I get what you're saying, but it's not entirely accurate, sure something like Wing Commander done right would be expensive, actors don't come cheap, especially named ones, but you seem to be suggesting that with the amount of gamers that are out there today, and it's more than ever, that they couldn't be profitable, call it a difference of opinion but I disagree.

I think you're misreading what hes saying. He's saying it can't be profitable for EA, not that it can't be profitable at all. I can't really argue with that logic either, EA made some token efforts with EA Partners to do smaller projects but has largely given up on it. I think Titanfall is the only EAP project left. For better or for worse they are committed to the 30mil+ budget stuff with DLC and other revenue stream crap. If SimCity is any indication then I say it's for worse

there was a book that came out not long ago, I believe called Blockbuster. It was about how, with the information explosion, everyone thought everything would become niche, but in reality it was the opposite. Hollywood gave up on small films and went big. Every tv channel abandoned its niche premise and went reality tv. Rock died for pop stars.

what it missed, though, is where things can be cheap. Yes, the economics of Hollywood demand giant hits that have mass appeal, and it is costly to make and distribute a movie of any scale. But music, and now games to a lesser extent, can be made by a small group of even one person then put on any number of digital distros. So while the mainstream consolidates, music games and somewhat books get a niche underground that thrives like never before (well, indie games aren't thriving like the 90s but growing rapidly)

even the internet consolidated. Remember when there were dozens of news sites for individual games? Now blues is about as niche as you get.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

55. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 30, 2013, 09:52 RollinThundr

Verno wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 09:30:
I get what you're saying, but it's not entirely accurate, sure something like Wing Commander done right would be expensive, actors don't come cheap, especially named ones, but you seem to be suggesting that with the amount of gamers that are out there today, and it's more than ever, that they couldn't be profitable, call it a difference of opinion but I disagree.

I think you're misreading what hes saying. He's saying it can't be profitable for EA, not that it can't be profitable at all. I can't really argue with that logic either, EA made some token efforts with EA Partners to do smaller projects but has largely given up on it. I think Titanfall is the only EAP project left. For better or for worse they are committed to the 30mil+ budget stuff with DLC and other revenue stream crap. If SimCity is any indication then I say it's for worse

Ahh ok I get it then, sorry bout that, well if that's the case then they're fucking themselves and deserve the inevitable fate that's coming.

54. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 30, 2013, 09:30 Verno

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

53. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 30, 2013, 09:25 RollinThundr

Redmask wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 08:41:
RollinThundr wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 07:30:
No I got exactly what you said, you said the market isn't big enough MUH 5 MILLION SALES! I disagree, posted reasons why and here you are still tossing out personal attacks in a reply rather than having a rational discussion. Grow up.

No, actually that's a poor paraphrasing that doesn't include relevant text which just proves my point.

This isn't difficult to understand, EA is a massive company and needs to see certain returns product cycles to continue operation. They set this up as a F2P game in the hopes of ongoing revenue instead of unit sales, not an unreasonable expectation considering how the past several C&C games have sold. Unfortunately they misread the market as the average C&C gamer doesn't want F2P mechanics, particularly since RTS games are so balance dependent.

This sort of game is better off with a mid-tier publisher who can give it a respectable budget, cater to the fans with an attractive product and still achieve profitability. EA is not that company anymore, they are in the blockbuster business and have admitted several times that they need to see major unit sales to continue making games and also want post-release revenue (See Dead Space and Dragon Age II interviews).

If EA Management doesn't change that line of thinking they won't be around another decade. They spent about 32 dollars on Dragon Age 2 development, they didn't need to sell 5 million to be profitable on it.

52. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 30, 2013, 08:45 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 05:24:
Yeah! And it could be always online, even single player. And it could have an Auction House where you could buy rare units that help you win battles. And it could force you to ID yourself online using your real name!

Agreed, I really want a Warcraft 4 or a new Command & Conquer game but companies these days will ruin them with dumb money making schemes. Just make a great game, I'll buy a copy for $60, hell I'll buy one for a friend. Stop with the pocket reaching crap.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

51. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 30, 2013, 08:41 Redmask

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 07:30:
No I got exactly what you said, you said the market isn't big enough MUH 5 MILLION SALES! I disagree, posted reasons why and here you are still tossing out personal attacks in a reply rather than having a rational discussion. Grow up.

No, actually that's a poor paraphrasing that doesn't include relevant text which just proves my point.

This isn't difficult to understand, EA is a massive company and needs to see certain returns product cycles to continue operation. They set this up as a F2P game in the hopes of ongoing revenue instead of unit sales, not an unreasonable expectation considering how the past several C&C games have sold. Unfortunately they misread the market as the average C&C gamer doesn't want F2P mechanics, particularly since RTS games are so balance dependent.

This sort of game is better off with a mid-tier publisher who can give it a respectable budget, cater to the fans with an attractive product and still achieve profitability. EA is not that company anymore, they are in the blockbuster business and have admitted several times that they need to see major unit sales to continue making games and also want post-release revenue (See Dead Space and Dragon Age II interviews).

50. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 30, 2013, 07:30 RollinThundr

Redmask wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 07:12:
RollinThundr wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 23:19:
I disagree, look at the numbers Wasteland and Project Eternity brought in, hell look at Star Citizen and that's a very niche fanbase.

If EA were to make another full fledged Wing Commander, actors and all, or another C&C Generals, it would sell fine. There's enough gamers still around that remember those series to support them.

Horrible reading comprehension as usual, specifically the part of my post where I said a publisher like EA isn't setup to profitably make those types of games and doesn't seem interested in reorganizing itself to do so. It's not a question of whether it would sell, its whether it would sell enough to satisfy the blackhole budgets EA operates with.

49. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 30, 2013, 07:19 netnerd85

Lol, good.

Jerykk wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 04:06:
Not only do they cancel the game but they fire the entire team as well? Seems excessive but this is EA after all.
"Wherever possible, we are working to help these talented people find other opportunities within EA"

Seems fair, why do people get so upset when game developers get fired... you know game developers can be arrogant pricks right? If you make shit, of course you are going to be fired. Look around at some of the indie game devs lately, worse than some publishers.

But it's EA right, boo...

48. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 30, 2013, 07:12 Redmask

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 23:19:
I disagree, look at the numbers Wasteland and Project Eternity brought in, hell look at Star Citizen and that's a very niche fanbase.

If EA were to make another full fledged Wing Commander, actors and all, or another C&C Generals, it would sell fine. There's enough gamers still around that remember those series to support them.

Horrible reading comprehension as usual, specifically the part of my post where I said a publisher like EA isn't setup to profitably make those types of games and doesn't seem interested in reorganizing itself to do so. It's not a question of whether it would sell, its whether it would sell enough to satisfy the blackhole budgets EA operates with.

47. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 30, 2013, 05:45 jdreyer

Caslon wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 22:16:
QUOTE: "We believe that Command & Conquer is a powerful franchise with huge potential and a great history, and we are determined to get the best game made as soon as possible. To that end, we have already begun looking at a number of alternatives to get the game back on track".

Determined? OK. How about dusting off a C&C game that is still popular and has a few servers that have 50/50 die hard players and re-do it? That game is RENEGADE.

Have you played Renegade X? It's a remake of Renegade using the Unreal 3 engine. It's got both that classic Renegade multiplayer gameplay, and a full single player campaign. Did I mention that it's free? It's free.

This comment was edited on Oct 30, 2013, 05:52.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

46. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 30, 2013, 05:24 jdreyer

Kajetan wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 02:41:
Total-Khaos wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 01:14:
I want epic nukes and environmental destruction physics...and exploding sheep! Wait...wrong game.
A new Warcraft RTS would be nice, yes. Someday, perhaps ...

Yeah! And it could be always online, even single player. And it could have an Auction House where you could buy rare units that help you win battles. And it could force you to ID yourself online using your real name!

45. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 30, 2013, 05:18 jdreyer

Taskeen wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 22:48:

Nah, FUCK EA. They have plenty of fucking money to make a new Command and Conquer happen.

Not saying they don't, but when they're given a choice between using that money to fund a new SP C&C game that may or may not sell well (regardless of whether you feature Tricia Helfer topless or not) or filling a swimming pool with said cash, stripping naked, and swimming in it, I think they're hard pressed not to take the latter course of action.

(apologies for a long, awkward sentence)

44. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 30, 2013, 05:10 FalconerHG

It actually wasn't that bad of a game at all. I was in the C&C alpha, the only real complaint that I had was it seemed far too fast paced for me, which is a shame because it damned well looked pretty, played nice, and I enjoyed every bit of it.

I played the game at Gamescom and I have to disagree: it looked very bland.

43. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 30, 2013, 05:09 jdreyer

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 22:12:
Much like their Syndicate reboot was a failed FPS. If they would treat their classic IP's with a little respect and give the fanbase of said IP's what they're asking for, they'd be rolling in sales. When you look at their catalog, and how much attention titles like Star Citizen, Wasteland, and the other Kickstarter reboots are getting you'd think it would be a no brainer to their bean counters. Not too sure why that's so hard for EA management to figure out at this point.

I get your point and mostly agree (being a fan of the games you mention), but given that EA just did $1B in revenue, I think it's hard to say that they aren't already "rolling in sales" and they probably think that what they're doing currently is the correct path.

Also, I kind of liked the Syndicate FPS. I thought they did some cool things with it. I did of course want a real Syndicate follow up. Looking forward to Satellite Reign.

42. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 30, 2013, 04:23 InBlack

Jerykk wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 04:06:
Not only do they cancel the game but they fire the entire team as well? Seems excessive but this is EA after all.

Hell its gonna look great on some exec's spreadsheet at the end of the year:

Douchesuitexec: "...ahem this is how much we reduced costs by firing this entire team..."

Doucheboss: "Well done, 100k bonuses all round!!"

*much backslapping and applause*

I have a nifty blue line!

41. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 30, 2013, 04:06 Jerykk

40. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 30, 2013, 03:12 GL1zdA

DangerDog wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 00:31:
It felt doomed the moment they announced the free-to-play B.S.

I would have played the single player campaign and then uninstalled it, guess they finally figured out that's what most everyone was going to do.
Exactly what I felt about the game. And it seems that Starcraft II and Planetary Annihilation have saturated the current RTS market.

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo