Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed

The Command & Conquer website has news of the cancellation of the upcoming free-to-play Command & Conquer revival, and Polygon has word that this also means the closure of its developer Victory Studios. "The team at Victory Games will be disbanded," an Electronic Arts spokesperson told Polygon. "Wherever possible, we are working to help these talented people find other opportunities within EA." Here's word from the website:

Thank you for your participation over the last few months in the Command & Conquer closed alpha test. It’s been much appreciated, and you’ve been instrumental in helping define what a new Command & Conquer experience should and shouldn’t be.

Part of being in a creative team is the understanding that not all of your choices are going to work out. In this case, we shifted the game away from campaign mode and built an economy-based, multiplayer experience. Your feedback from the alpha trial is clear: We are not making the game you want to play. That is why, after much difficult deliberation, we have decided to cease production of this version of the game. Although we deeply respect the great work done by our talented team, ultimately it’s about getting you the game you expect and deserve.

Over the next 10 days we will be refunding any and all money spent in the alpha. If you have a question about your refund, please contact help.ea.com.

We believe that Command & Conquer is a powerful franchise with huge potential and a great history, and we are determined to get the best game made as soon as possible. To that end, we have already begun looking at a number of alternatives to get the game back on track. We look forward to sharing more news about the franchise as it develops. Thank you again for your participation and support.

View
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

19. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 19:40 Simon Says

RIP C&C.

EA, you bastard!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 19:38 RollinThundr

fox wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 19:28:
Why not close Infinity Ward and spend all the money, they have stolen from us gamers (or "not gamers"), to charity purposes?

Possibly because EA doesn't own Infinity Ward, Activision does?

17. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 19:28 fox

Why not close Infinity Ward and spend all the money, they have stolen from us gamers (or "not gamers"), to charity purposes?  

16. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 19:28 Cutter

So talented that they decided to kill the game and shitcan the lot. Uh huh.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

15. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 19:21 RaZ0r!

Your feedback from the alpha trial is clear: We are not making the game you want to play.

Trust me, this couldn't be more true.

14. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 19:09 Prez

Really saw this coming a while ago. From what I can tell there has been very little interest in Command and Conquer since they screwed up C&C 4 so bad it practically killed the series. To make matters worse they make the game a F2P game - does anyone trust that EA wouldn't make it pay to win and nickel and dime players to death? I wouldn't take that bet for the world myself.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 18:40 NKD

ldonyo wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 18:32:
One more body added to the pile of EA acquisition closings. How long will it be before BioWare suffers the same fate?

Victory wasn't an acquisition, they founded the studio in 2010.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

12. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 18:34 Beamer

ldonyo wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 18:32:
One more body added to the pile of EA acquisition closings. How long will it be before BioWare suffers the same fate?

Uh... not really?
EA didn't "acquire" this studio, EA founded this studio. Then they decided it would be good to call this studio "BioWare," even though it had nothing to do with BioWare. Then they renamed it because it had nothing to do with BioWare. Then they closed it.

But it certainly does not belong on the list of studios they bought and closed, because they never bought it. You're complaining about something by making giant assumptions that aren't even remotely correct yet could have been easily Googleable (we call this a RollinThundr.) EA does lots of dumb, obnoxious things. Don't mislabel this.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 18:32 ldonyo

10. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 18:31 NKD

Tumbler wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 18:30:
Is this related to that trailer we saw a year ago that said bioware was making it? I'm confused, were they making two c&c games or are they just pretending this has nothing to do with bioware now?

Same studio. They were a new Bioware studio, and then they renamed them.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

9. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 18:30 Tumbler

Is this related to that trailer we saw a year ago that said bioware was making it? I'm confused, were they making two c&c games or are they just pretending this has nothing to do with bioware now?  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

8. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 18:26 Beamer

Taskeen wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 18:09:
Slap on some single player campaign, make it cheesey hilarious, and slide in some multiplayer for good measure. How fucking difficult is THAT???

Well, I mean, considering it was built to be a f2p mmo, probably very difficult as basically everything except the art (but probably also the art) would need to be scrapped.

But, ignoring that, if making a single player game that was cheesy hilarious with some multiplayer involved wasn't "fucking difficult" I'd imagine more people would be making good games.

-------------

7. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 18:09 NKD

Cancelling this crap and going back to the drawing board rather than shoveling some stupidity out the door? That's good. Sorry to anyone who lost their job though.  

6. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 18:09 Taskeen

WTF I WANTED THIS GAME

Just fucking release for 50 bucks so I can play it!

Slap on some single player campaign, make it cheesey hilarious, and slide in some multiplayer for good measure. How fucking difficult is THAT???

5. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 18:07 Beamer

Yosemite Sam wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 17:53:
Heh idiots, this is what happens when suits decided what kind of video game to make. I cant imagine any person who actually plays games, especially C&C games, said I want C&C to go online with a pay to win model. Some suit who was drooling over numbers from some other company made that decision. Another generals, built around a single player campaign, with the ability to do multiplayer... as someone who actually plays video games... that would interest me.

I don't think another Generals would sell all that well.
But it's nice to see the message being sent that f2p won't, either.

-------------

4. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 17:55 El Pit

"we are working to help these talented people [that we put out of work] find other opportunities within EA [like gardening, housekeeping, shoeshining]"

It's all there, read between the lines!

I'm sorry for the guys, but don't think we lost a good game. Much more, this is a chance for a C&C singleplayer revival!

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

3. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 17:53 Yosemite Sam

Heh idiots, this is what happens when suits decided what kind of video game to make. I cant imagine any person who actually plays games, especially C&C games, said I want C&C to go online with a pay to win model. Some suit who was drooling over numbers from some other company made that decision. Another generals, built around a single player campaign, with the ability to do multiplayer... as someone who actually plays video games... that would interest me.  

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

2. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 17:49 Burrito of Peace

What? People don't want yet another stupid fucking MOBA and want actual, single player content?

WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TOO????

1. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 17:49 Kajetan

Yay?  

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo