Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed

The Command & Conquer website has news of the cancellation of the upcoming free-to-play Command & Conquer revival, and Polygon has word that this also means the closure of its developer Victory Studios. "The team at Victory Games will be disbanded," an Electronic Arts spokesperson told Polygon. "Wherever possible, we are working to help these talented people find other opportunities within EA." Here's word from the website:

Thank you for your participation over the last few months in the Command & Conquer closed alpha test. Itís been much appreciated, and youíve been instrumental in helping define what a new Command & Conquer experience should and shouldnít be.

Part of being in a creative team is the understanding that not all of your choices are going to work out. In this case, we shifted the game away from campaign mode and built an economy-based, multiplayer experience. Your feedback from the alpha trial is clear: We are not making the game you want to play. That is why, after much difficult deliberation, we have decided to cease production of this version of the game. Although we deeply respect the great work done by our talented team, ultimately itís about getting you the game you expect and deserve.

Over the next 10 days we will be refunding any and all money spent in the alpha. If you have a question about your refund, please contact help.ea.com.

We believe that Command & Conquer is a powerful franchise with huge potential and a great history, and we are determined to get the best game made as soon as possible. To that end, we have already begun looking at a number of alternatives to get the game back on track. We look forward to sharing more news about the franchise as it develops. Thank you again for your participation and support.

View
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

39. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 30, 2013, 02:41 Kajetan

Total-Khaos wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 01:14:
I want epic nukes and environmental destruction physics...and exploding sheep! Wait...wrong game.
A new Warcraft RTS would be nice, yes. Someday, perhaps ...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 30, 2013, 01:14 Total-Khaos

DangerDog wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 00:31:
It felt doomed the moment they announced the free-to-play B.S.

I would have played the single player campaign and then uninstalled it, guess they finally figured out that's what most everyone was going to do.

I would have definitely purchased a 'normal' retail version of a new C&C game.

I agree. I think everyone just wants a classic RTS base-building experience we all seemed to enjoy from years past, but brought into the next generation. I want epic nukes and environmental destruction physics...and exploding sheep! Wait...wrong game.

37. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 30, 2013, 00:31 DangerDog

It felt doomed the moment they announced the free-to-play B.S.

I would have played the single player campaign and then uninstalled it, guess they finally figured out that's what most everyone was going to do.

I would have definitely purchased a 'normal' retail version of a new C&C game.

36. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 30, 2013, 00:11 Jackplug

I was looking forward to this game, looks like EA hasn't got the balls to make a game that is playable anymore.  

35. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 23:19 RollinThundr

Redmask wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 23:07:
An economy-based, multiplayer experience? Command and Conquer? WTF is wrong with these idiots? Economy-based sounds like an excuse for server-side control and always-online DRM. Why the hell else would you put it into a C&C game?

So... they get lots of feedback and realize the game isn't what people want in a C&C game (as if actually playing the original C&C games wouldn't be enough to know what a C&C game is; personally sick of all the rampant "re-imagining" of great PC game IP), so they just decide not to make a C&C game at all, effectively ignoring all the feedback they did get. Hmmm... EA isn't going to make a new C&C game... I'm fine with that.

The market probably isn't big enough to support the typical C&C title on the PC anymore, at least not for a company like EA who needs every game to sell 5m or else it's a failure. This would be better off in the hands of a mid-tier publisher like Deep Silver who can actually cater to the niche it would demand and still achieve profitability if done correctly. EA just isn't setup to do this sort of game anymore, everything needs to put up BF numbers or be a smartphone game.

RollinSpammr wrote:
blah blah give me attention blah blah

Asking you to actually be on topic for a change isn't an adhom.

Oh Redmask, always such a douchebag, don't ever change buddy. Middlefinger

I disagree, look at the numbers Wasteland and Project Eternity brought in, hell look at Star Citizen and that's a very niche fanbase.

If EA were to make another full fledged Wing Commander, actors and all, or another C&C Generals, it would sell fine. There's enough gamers still around that remember those series to support them.

34. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 23:17 Fantaz

Taskeen wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 18:09:
WTF I WANTED THIS GAME

Just fucking release for 50 bucks so I can play it!

Slap on some single player campaign, make it cheesey hilarious, and slide in some multiplayer for good measure. How fucking difficult is THAT???

yes...

33. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 23:07 Redmask

An economy-based, multiplayer experience? Command and Conquer? WTF is wrong with these idiots? Economy-based sounds like an excuse for server-side control and always-online DRM. Why the hell else would you put it into a C&C game?

So... they get lots of feedback and realize the game isn't what people want in a C&C game (as if actually playing the original C&C games wouldn't be enough to know what a C&C game is; personally sick of all the rampant "re-imagining" of great PC game IP), so they just decide not to make a C&C game at all, effectively ignoring all the feedback they did get. Hmmm... EA isn't going to make a new C&C game... I'm fine with that.

The market probably isn't big enough to support the typical C&C title on the PC anymore, at least not for a company like EA who needs every game to sell 5m or else it's a failure. This would be better off in the hands of a mid-tier publisher like Deep Silver who can actually cater to the niche it would demand and still achieve profitability if done correctly. EA just isn't setup to do this sort of game anymore, everything needs to put up BF numbers or be a smartphone game.

RollinSpammr wrote:
blah blah give me attention blah blah

Asking you to actually be on topic for a change isn't an adhom.

32. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 23:01 Mashiki Amiketo

It actually wasn't that bad of a game at all. I was in the C&C alpha, the only real complaint that I had was it seemed far too fast paced for me, which is a shame because it damned well looked pretty, played nice, and I enjoyed every bit of it.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

31. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 23:01 Fletch

30. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 22:48 Taskeen

jdreyer wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 21:05:
WTF I WANTED THIS GAME

Slap on some single player campaign, make it cheesey hilarious, and slide in some multiplayer for good measure. How fucking difficult is THAT???

It's actually quite expensive and time consuming to create a SP campaign, it's certainly not something you can just "slap on." In the case of C & C, it requires a story, a script, video and voice acting, mission design & development (maps, goals, scripting, etc.), AI, a ton of play testing, etc. etc.

These are the reasons why a lot of developers are moving away from SP these days. And into stuff that's either simpler and cheaper to make (MOBAs) or has the potential for a ton of cash (MMOs)

Nah, FUCK EA. They have plenty of fucking money to make a new Command and Conquer happen.

29. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 22:30 Loopy

EA's F2P Ultima Forever was such a success it was compared to COW CLICKER in at least one review. I dunno what you guys are all happy about. F2P C&C obviously would have been a stellar game.  

28. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 22:18 Creston

Beamer wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 18:34:
EA founded this studio. Then they decided it would be good to call this studio "BioWare," even though it had nothing to do with BioWare. Then they renamed it because it had nothing to do with BioWare. Then they closed it.

EA at its finest decision making prowess.

27. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 22:16 Caslon

QUOTE: "We believe that Command & Conquer is a powerful franchise with huge potential and a great history, and we are determined to get the best game made as soon as possible. To that end, we have already begun looking at a number of alternatives to get the game back on track".

Determined? OK. How about dusting off a C&C game that is still popular and has a few servers that have 50/50 die hard players and re-do it? That game is RENEGADE.

26. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 22:12 RollinThundr

Redmask wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 20:36:
RollinThundr wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 19:41:
I think it's cute your and nin's need to constantly troll me just to troll me all while whining that people troll, it's like the ultimate pot calling the kettle black. Grow the fuck up beamer, stop acting like a 2 year old having a temper tantrum.

Can we have one forum thread without you taking a giant shit all over it? Here's a thought, be the bigger man and just ignore his obvious bait.

I didn't start it with personal attacks as usual, that's generally all you guys. It's why I call you hypocrites, you do the same exact thing that you whine so passionately about. Either grow up and learn to discuss things with people you have differences of opinion with without resorting to ad homs and name calling, or don't engage at all. You're just as guilty.

On topic, I really don't know what EA was thinking to begin with, C&C was always about the cheesy single player cut scenes with B actors, ala Kari Wurher and the like, trying to use a classic license as a F2P model was just a terrible idea from the start.

Much like their Syndicate reboot was a failed FPS. If they would treat their classic IP's with a little respect and give the fanbase of said IP's what they're asking for, they'd be rolling in sales. When you look at their catalog, and how much attention titles like Star Citizen, Wasteland, and the other Kickstarter reboots are getting you'd think it would be a no brainer to their bean counters. Not too sure why that's so hard for EA management to figure out at this point.

25. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 21:11 Darks

Verno wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 19:48:
Prez wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 19:09:
Really saw this coming a while ago. From what I can tell there has been very little interest in Command and Conquer since they screwed up C&C 4 so bad it practically killed the series. To make matters worse they make the game a F2P game - does anyone trust that EA wouldn't make it pay to win and nickel and dime players to death? I wouldn't take that bet for the world myself.

Yep. As usual EA approached it as business model first, game second and the results are predictable.

Canít agree more dude, just like they are doing to SWTOR they killed that game for me with all the BS monetizing of it. I was really looking forward to this game too, but go figure. Leave it to EA to fuck it up.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

24. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 21:05 jdreyer

WTF I WANTED THIS GAME

It's actually quite expensive and time consuming to create a SP campaign, it's certainly not something you can just "slap on." In the case of C & C, it requires a story, a script, video and voice acting, mission design & development (maps, goals, scripting, etc.), AI, a ton of play testing, etc. etc.

These are the reasons why a lot of developers are moving away from SP these days. And into stuff that's either simpler and cheaper to make (MOBAs) or has the potential for a ton of cash (MMOs)

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

23. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 20:36 Redmask

I think it's cute your and nin's need to constantly troll me just to troll me all while whining that people troll, it's like the ultimate pot calling the kettle black. Grow the fuck up beamer, stop acting like a 2 year old having a temper tantrum.

Can we have one forum thread without you taking a giant shit all over it? Here's a thought, be the bigger man and just ignore his obvious bait.

Your feedback from the alpha trial is clear: We are not making the game you want to play.

I was going to give EA props for this but then I remembered this was going to be F2P so they couldn't just dump it out there and get a bunch of quick cash to recoup some dev money.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2013, 20:15 Rigs

ldonyo wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 18:32:
One more body added to the pile of EA acquisition closings. How long will it be before BioWare suffers the same fate?

Uh... not really?
EA didn't "acquire" this studio, EA founded this studio. Then they decided it would be good to call this studio "BioWare," even though it had nothing to do with BioWare. Then they renamed it because it had nothing to do with BioWare. Then they closed it.

But it certainly does not belong on the list of studios they bought and closed, because they never bought it. You're complaining about something by making giant assumptions that aren't even remotely correct yet could have been easily Googleable (we call this a RollinThundr.) EA does lots of dumb, obnoxious things. Don't mislabel this.

Group hug? Grouphug

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

21. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 19:48 Verno

Prez wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 19:09:
Really saw this coming a while ago. From what I can tell there has been very little interest in Command and Conquer since they screwed up C&C 4 so bad it practically killed the series. To make matters worse they make the game a F2P game - does anyone trust that EA wouldn't make it pay to win and nickel and dime players to death? I wouldn't take that bet for the world myself.

Yep. As usual EA approached it as business model first, game second and the results are predictable.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

20. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 29, 2013, 19:41 RollinThundr

ldonyo wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 18:32:
One more body added to the pile of EA acquisition closings. How long will it be before BioWare suffers the same fate?

Uh... not really?
EA didn't "acquire" this studio, EA founded this studio. Then they decided it would be good to call this studio "BioWare," even though it had nothing to do with BioWare. Then they renamed it because it had nothing to do with BioWare. Then they closed it.

But it certainly does not belong on the list of studios they bought and closed, because they never bought it. You're complaining about something by making giant assumptions that aren't even remotely correct yet could have been easily Googleable (we call this a RollinThundr.) EA does lots of dumb, obnoxious things. Don't mislabel this.

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo