Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

100 More Steam Greenlights

The Steam Community has the announcement that 100 more titles have met with the approval of the Steam Greenlight system. Word is: "These titles were selected on the same criteria we have been using in the past: Votes in Greenlight give us a hugely valuable point of data in gauging community interest along with external factors such as press reviews, crowd-funding successes, performance on other similar platforms, and awards and contests to help form a more complete picture of community interest in each title." This page has the list of all the new approvals.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: 100 More Steam Greenlights Oct 30, 2013, 11:15 Verno

Jerykk wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 04:49:
I don't really understand why people object to having more games on Steam. You aren't obligated to buy them. If you're unsure if a game is worth buying, do some research. It's not rocket science. There's nothing wrong with having choices.

There have been a few cases of questionable products come through Greenlight but that sort of stuff happened before anyway so I tend to agree with this. I think the community does a pretty good job of filtering through the crappy stuff, some casual reading on the internet usually leads me to good games.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: 100 More Steam Greenlights Oct 30, 2013, 10:49 Axis

ItBurn wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 10:18:
Axis wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 10:16:
More choice never trumps quality -- good games sell, especially in the indie scene.

But I know what you mean ITB, which is why voting of greenlight works for indies.

Greenlight is not needed for AAA which always have less passion -- just some hobbled 'throw money at it' formula and boom it's listed.

I haven't made a study on it or anything, but I think that if there are too many games, it ends up being "incredibly amazing games sell, good games don't."

Edit: I think that voting works, but Steam seems to me to be adding a crapton of games for the sake of it, not for quality. No way all these games got enough votes.

Ya that could be, not sure how some are getting voted but I dunno if it's just cause I don't like the kinda game or they are really gonna be crap.

However I think most steam users by default look through the 'new release' on load up, and click what's interesting -- I know that's been my 'steam workflow' anyway.

Yours truly,

Axis

13. Re: 100 More Steam Greenlights Oct 30, 2013, 10:18 ItBurn

Axis wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 10:16:
More choice never trumps quality -- good games sell, especially in the indie scene.

But I know what you mean ITB, which is why voting of greenlight works for indies.

Greenlight is not needed for AAA which always have less passion -- just some hobbled 'throw money at it' formula and boom it's listed.

I haven't made a study on it or anything, but I think that if there are too many games, it ends up being "incredibly amazing games sell, good games don't."

Edit: I think that voting works, but Steam seems to me to be adding a crapton of games for the sake of it, not for quality. No way all these games got enough votes.

12. Re: 100 More Steam Greenlights Oct 30, 2013, 10:16 Axis

Yours truly,

Axis

11. Re: 100 More Steam Greenlights Oct 30, 2013, 09:59 ItBurn

Jerykk wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 04:49:
I don't really understand why people object to having more games on Steam. You aren't obligated to buy them. If you're unsure if a game is worth buying, do some research. It's not rocket science. There's nothing wrong with having choices.

One potential problem is that the good games get buried under all the crap around it and it's a lot tougher to get exposure simply because of the amount of other games in the same category. Basically, it's tougher now for good indie games to make a profit.

10. Re: 100 More Steam Greenlights Oct 30, 2013, 08:53 Axis

I like the greenlight program. I'd rather see any titles with some sort of voting system as opposed to traditional 'I pay you and you put me on', especially since they're all indies.

Besides, I can't stand 90% of AAA games anymore, much happier to see the greenlights.

Yours truly,

Axis

9. Re: 100 More Steam Greenlights Oct 30, 2013, 04:49 Jerykk

8. Re: 100 More Steam Greenlights Oct 30, 2013, 00:23 DrEvil

Cutter wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 19:46:
Frijoles wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 18:02:
Starting to agree. I liked all the new games at first, but Steam is becoming a bit of a minefield. I've voted on about 150 or so games in the Greenlight section. There's so.. much.. shit. Makes me think I should throw some garbage out and see if I can make a quick buck.

It worked or Notch so it can work for anyone if you're lucky.

But tell us how you really feel.

But more seriously, be a bit more objective. We get that you don't like Minecraft, but I think even you would admit it's twice the game that most of the drek on this list it.

7. Re: 100 More Steam Greenlights Oct 29, 2013, 23:25 ViRGE

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 18:00:
Rather ridiculous if you ask me, most of these games will flop.
Probably, but there's no reason they shouldn't be on Steam. Not being on Steam will drive away most of a game's potential audience.

6. Re: 100 More Steam Greenlights Oct 29, 2013, 21:24 Whiskers

I think people just spam the yes greenlight button. I find it hard to believe some of these games were able to get enough votes.  

5. Re: 100 More Steam Greenlights Oct 29, 2013, 19:46 Cutter

Frijoles wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 18:02:
Starting to agree. I liked all the new games at first, but Steam is becoming a bit of a minefield. I've voted on about 150 or so games in the Greenlight section. There's so.. much.. shit. Makes me think I should throw some garbage out and see if I can make a quick buck.

It worked or Notch so it can work for anyone if you're lucky.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4. Re: 100 More Steam Greenlights Oct 29, 2013, 18:02 Frijoles

3. Re: 100 More Steam Greenlights Oct 29, 2013, 18:00 Ozmodan

Rather ridiculous if you ask me, most of these games will flop.  

2. Re: 100 More Steam Greenlights Oct 29, 2013, 17:52 nin

Hope The Yawhg is cheap. It's fun, but a game only takes minutes.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: 100 More Steam Greenlights Oct 29, 2013, 17:45 Clancy

Yeah! We are now looking forward to more unfinished games being shoveled onto steam.

Makes for a great steaming pile of ...

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo