Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed

EA's Origin announces that Battlefield 4 is now available for Windows and consoles, offering the latest installment in DICE's military shooter series. Reviews of the FPS are now showing up, so you can read/see impressions on AusGamers, ComputerAndVideoGames, GameSpot, Joystiq, Game Front, GameInformer, IGN, Inside Gaming, PC Gamer, Polygon, and Shacknews. Here's word on the game:

Explore a vast range of experiences that allow you to play your way. Be the lone wolf to take control of your own destiny or work together in tight-knit five-man squads to strike as a team. New maps, more vehicles, weapons and destruction allow you to create your own path and play to your strengths. Absolutely nothing compares to the sheer scale and scope of Battlefield 4.

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

15. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 11:21 Morgan19

For those that played the pre-release alpha/beta/whatever it was, how's performance now compared to then? BF3 runs fine on my system, but in the first day of the pre-release BF4 was decidedly choppier... I've heard they (suppsedly?) worked on that, but I'm curious how much of a difference was made in a few weeks' time.

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 2013, 11:26.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 11:21 Nurgel

Oh and the spotting system for BF4 seems pretty much unchanged from BF3 and Bad Company 2 before that, as far as I can tell. Maybe they ripped it off from the original Planetside? I never played too much Planetside.  

13. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 11:12 Nurgel

RaZ0r! wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 11:03:
Nurgel wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 10:55:
Played it a couple hours last night and really enjoyed it so far. The pace is a bit slower, infantry don't run as fast as BF3 so tactical maneuvering between cover is more of a gambit than it was in BF3. Still has some kinks and bugs to work out (lol DICE game imagine that) but generally ran really great.

Same here. I played for a few hours last night. The game's performance was stellar. I had one bug that was only on certain maps where I would lose some audio effects in certain places.

But yeah, the game's pacing is a lot different. I played BF3 the night before last and had a good run, but in BF4 last night I was getting my ass handed to me constantly. It does play a lot differently than BF3.

They totally ripped the spotting system from Planetside 2. Well I guess it was from Planetside 2, as that's the first game I played with a spotting system. While I love the spotting system in Planetside 2, I'm not sure if I like it in Battlefield.

Yeah I played BF3 earlier yesterday got 1st one map and 2nd the next, then promptly got rolled on BF4 lol. I can partly attribute that to not having a proper LMG like I'm used to (no PKP or 240B /cry) but the pacing really made a big difference.

I did notice some buggy, jerky performance on the resort-looking map (palm trees, wood bridges, wrecked ship not sure what its called) when the other maps were pefectly smooth. I just upgraded to an i7 3770k and 770GTX 4GB video card so it shouldn't have had any issues I think. The frame rates were fine, just kinda stuttery. Maybe its a memory leak or something, gah.

12. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 11:07 InBlack

RaZ0r! wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 11:03:
Played it a couple hours last night and really enjoyed it so far. The pace is a bit slower, infantry don't run as fast as BF3 so tactical maneuvering between cover is more of a gambit than it was in BF3. Still has some kinks and bugs to work out (lol DICE game imagine that) but generally ran really great.

Same here. I played for a few hours last night. The game's performance was stellar. I had one bug that was only on certain maps where I would lose some audio effects in certain places.

But yeah, the game's pacing is a lot different. I played BF3 the night before last and had a good run, but in BF4 last night I was getting my ass handed to me constantly. It does play a lot differently than BF3.

They totally ripped the spotting system from Planetside 2. Well I guess it was from Planetside 2, as that's the first game I played with a spotting system. While I love the spotting system in Planetside 2, I'm not sure if I like it in Battlefield.

How is Planetside2 these days? Last time I checked it out it was buggy as hell and only fun sporadically (depending on what given squad I could join at the time)

I have a nifty blue line!

11. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 11:03 RaZ0r!

10. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 10:55 Nurgel

Anyone who would like to play along feel free to add me:

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/user/BS-Nurgel

9. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 10:53 Quboid

I feel a lot more tired of modern shooters than I ever did of WW2 ones, although that may be because of the way they're made rather than their setting (or because I'm getting old but I'd rather not focus on that).

I never got my money's worth from BF3 because of the unlock system and I won't be buying BF4 because of this. Aside from the annoyance of not getting to play with the toys I've paid for, the unlock system affects the balance.

Being worse than everyone else is an occupational hazard when you don't play that game or ones like it very much but to be worse than everyone else and have worse gear and no kill streak bonuses and so on - this adds injury to insult by actively disadvantaging me.

Edit: "Better to complain about it than to do something" - perfect summary of Bluesnews/the Internet/mankind/all living creatures from eRe4s3r

- Quboid

8. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 10:52 eRe4s3r

I know I could do that but it's always such an hassle... and gaming should never be an hassle.

Besides I only got my GMG key yesterday evening. Still will take 9 hours to even pre-load.. assuming I don't wanna do something else and thus pause it which makes it longer.. oh well

Better to complain about it than to do something.

7. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 10:42 HoSpanky

The videos look neat, but yeah Whiskers, it doesn't seem like much different a game from bf3, which I've played all of maybe 5 hours of. Maybe I'm just super bored of Modern Military Shooters. Actually, I know I am. I'm as tired of them as WWII games.

A sequel to 2142 would be awesome. I recently got my disc copy converted to an Origin version just so I could throw away the disc/case, and they threw in the expansions free. This goes for every game they converted, btw. I'm not about to start buying games on Origin if they're on Steam, but converting a game was something EA didnt have to do, did, and then did better than neccessary.

6. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 10:41 Gib007

EU here, playing right now. Shops in Gibraltar do not care about release dates. They shelve stuff as soon as they receive stock. Bought a physical copy today (was available yesterday!) and used VPN to activate.  

5. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 10:34 eRe4s3r

SirKnight wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 10:01:
It's nice that it's already unlocked. If this were on STEAM it would not unlock until the middle of the day if not later. I hate how STEAM does that.

Now to get a few minutes in before time to go to work.

Yeah, except if you are in Europe, there EA gives you a big fuck you and unlocks 1 minute past midnight on the 31th...

4. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 10:32 Verno

Whiskers wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 10:20:
It looks more like Battlefield 3.5.

here's hoping the next installment will be Battlefield 2143

With Titanfall on the way you can bet EA will be looking to compete with it, I bet we'll see a BF5 that is essentially BF2143.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

3. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 10:20 Whiskers

It looks more like Battlefield 3.5.

here's hoping the next installment will be Battlefield 2143

2. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 10:04 MrRadicalEd

Explore a vast range of experiences that allow you to play your way. Be the lone wolf to take control of your own destiny or work together in tight-knit five-man squads to strike as a team. New maps, more vehicles, weapons and destruction allow you to create your own path and play to your strengths. Absolutely nothing compares to the sheer scale and scope of Battlefield 4.

the same thing could be said about bf3.... hmmm

1. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 10:01 SirKnight

It's nice that it's already unlocked. If this were on STEAM it would not unlock until the middle of the day if not later. I hate how STEAM does that.

Now to get a few minutes in before time to go to work.

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo