Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed

EA's Origin announces that Battlefield 4 is now available for Windows and consoles, offering the latest installment in DICE's military shooter series. Reviews of the FPS are now showing up, so you can read/see impressions on AusGamers, ComputerAndVideoGames, GameSpot, Joystiq, Game Front, GameInformer, IGN, Inside Gaming, PC Gamer, Polygon, and Shacknews. Here's word on the game:

Explore a vast range of experiences that allow you to play your way. Be the lone wolf to take control of your own destiny or work together in tight-knit five-man squads to strike as a team. New maps, more vehicles, weapons and destruction allow you to create your own path and play to your strengths. Absolutely nothing compares to the sheer scale and scope of Battlefield 4.

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

35. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 15:55 maleitch

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 12:01:
Quboid wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 10:53:
I feel a lot more tired of modern shooters than I ever did of WW2 ones, although that may be because of the way they're made rather than their setting (or because I'm getting old but I'd rather not focus on that).

I never got my money's worth from BF3 because of the unlock system and I won't be buying BF4 because of this. Aside from the annoyance of not getting to play with the toys I've paid for, the unlock system affects the balance.

Being worse than everyone else is an occupational hazard when you don't play that game or ones like it very much but to be worse than everyone else and have worse gear and no kill streak bonuses and so on - this adds injury to insult by actively disadvantaging me.

Edit: "Better to complain about it than to do something" - perfect summary of Bluesnews/the Internet/mankind/all living creatures from eRe4s3r

waaah I don't get all the unlocks right off the bat, I can't compete, so damn entitled some of you.

Nothing to do with entitlement, but spin any way you can to cover for your childish attention span. It is a lame way to maintain interest in an otherwise played out franchise. BF1942, didn't need unlocks to keep people interested...it stood on its own. It did not need any of these ADD, grinding gimmicks that today's gamers can't seem to function without. It is catering to the Idiocracy gamer.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 15:42 SpectralMeat

Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 15:24:
SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 15:07:
I didn't know the SP unlocks stuff for MP, that's awesome.
I did notice the scores I was getting for kills and stuff and thought to myself why the heck do I get points for SP?

Yeah, I scored a gold medal for the first level and it unlocked the Rex revolver for MP.

Gota cool green laser sight for my P226 pistol from one of the balltepacks too. Everyone is flashing their red laser dots and I flash my green and everyone on the server is asking how I got that, lol.
I did get gold on that first mission also and got the pistol.
Can't seem to find the battle packs though on the battlelog. Do you open those in game?

Steam: SpectralMeat

33. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 15:24 Agent.X7

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 15:07:
I did notice the scores I was getting for kills and stuff and thought to myself why the heck do I get points for SP?

Yeah, I scored a gold medal for the first level and it unlocked the Rex revolver for MP.

Gota cool green laser sight for my P226 pistol from one of the balltepacks too. Everyone is flashing their red laser dots and I flash my green and everyone on the server is asking how I got that, lol.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

32. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 15:07 SpectralMeat

31. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 14:18 RollinThundr

Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 14:01:
Tried to play at release. Game would not launch. Spent most of an hour repairing install and downloading an additional 4.5GB of files.

Once I got in, it was fun. Right now it's all about learning the maps. The flood map (Don't know the name except for the server name it is on my map rotation as MP_Flood) is confusing as hell the first time through. The it floods and gets harder to navigate. My LMG seems to be WAY more accurate than in BF3 though, and I am super happy about that. Combine that with a flip up magnifier and I was scoring headshots at a couple hundred meters.

The tablet app is for shit right now. It would never bring up the mini-map, it lags all to hell, and it won't let me launch games from it.

Waiting for my RCon layer to install so I can use Procon for admin stuff.

Actually played a bit of single player last night as well. It's not too bad. Way better than any COD I can remember. Of course, I am only playing it because it unlocks stuff in multiplayer, just like the co-op did in BF3.

I think I played a mission and a half last night before bed, haven't touched the mp yet, that mission and a half was funner than most of the prior COD titles put together imo. Visceral, exciting, the guns feel beefy, great sound effects. AI that can actually hit enemies unlike cod's fodder.

Sure the meat of a BF game is the MP but if the rest of SP plays out like the first couple missions, I'm happy with it. Game is sexy as fuck too.

30. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 14:01 Agent.X7

Tried to play at release. Game would not launch. Spent most of an hour repairing install and downloading an additional 4.5GB of files.

Once I got in, it was fun. Right now it's all about learning the maps. The flood map (Don't know the name except for the server name it is on my map rotation as MP_Flood) is confusing as hell the first time through. The it floods and gets harder to navigate. My LMG seems to be WAY more accurate than in BF3 though, and I am super happy about that. Combine that with a flip up magnifier and I was scoring headshots at a couple hundred meters.

The tablet app is for shit right now. It would never bring up the mini-map, it lags all to hell, and it won't let me launch games from it.

Waiting for my RCon layer to install so I can use Procon for admin stuff.

Actually played a bit of single player last night as well. It's not too bad. Way better than any COD I can remember. Of course, I am only playing it because it unlocks stuff in multiplayer, just like the co-op did in BF3.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

29. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 13:51 Tumbler

Played last night just after it was released. Pretty miserable experience. Game crashed during almost every match. I think after the 5th time I gave up and turned it off. Maybe it's just opening night issues but when the program freezes and I have to alt tab or open the task manager that doesn't seem like server issues.

Game runs ok on the new nvidia drivers, I think I'm on medium at 720p and I'm gettin 60fps. Game feels really jumpy by design. Everything seems to make you bump and move around, especially in ground vehicles, driving a tank feels like you're driving a dune buggy.

This is very close to how playing the beta felt at the start, wasn't expecting hte game to feel this frustrating all over again. Some of the maps are pure garbage in my opinion. I despise these infrantry "tunnel" maps where all you can do is run into the other team, seems like they're trying to offer the COD experience in those and they seem like a complete waste of time.

Hopefully things will get better.

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 2013, 14:05.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

28. 8.5 review average... Oct 29, 2013, 13:49 JohnBirshire

Game has a 8.5 average, meh. That's just mediocre as far as these games are concerned, doesn't motivate me to run out and buy it at all.  

27. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 13:01 Beamer

Verno wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 12:49:
McJammiepants wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 12:44:
Titanfall is an EA release.

Hah whoops, totally forgot EA Partners was doing that. Though it does beg the question if they retain future exclusivity over the IP or not, I bet they don't as the Respawn guys largely left Activision over creative differences and IP ownership issues. So all the same it would probably do them well to have something on tap and they can't do "modern" BF forever.

EA Partners never takes IP, I believe. It's solely distribution and sometimes passive investment. It's pretty hands-off.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

26. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 12:53 Hippie

Picked it up, really enjoying it so far. Does feel like BF 3.5 though. I'd kill for another BF 2142 game, but I have a feeling the closest we are going to get is the new DICE made Star Wars Battlefront game they are coming out with.  

25. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 12:49 Verno

McJammiepants wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 12:44:

Hah whoops, totally forgot EA Partners was doing that. Though it does beg the question if they retain future exclusivity over the IP or not, I bet they don't as the Respawn guys largely left Activision over creative differences and IP ownership issues. So all the same it would probably do them well to have something on tap and they can't do "modern" BF forever.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

24. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 12:44 McJammiepants

Verno wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 10:32:
Whiskers wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 10:20:
It looks more like Battlefield 3.5.

here's hoping the next installment will be Battlefield 2143

With Titanfall on the way you can bet EA will be looking to compete with it, I bet we'll see a BF5 that is essentially BF2143.

23. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 12:25 SpectralMeat

jimnms wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 12:02:
I wasn't planning to get this on release, but I caved and bought it from GMG a couple of days ago with the 20% off code.
Join the club

22. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 12:24 Nurgel

Morgan19 wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 11:21:
For those that played the pre-release alpha/beta/whatever it was, how's performance now compared to then? BF3 runs fine on my system, but in the first day of the pre-release BF4 was decidedly choppier... I've heard they (suppsedly?) worked on that, but I'm curious how much of a difference was made in a few weeks' time.

Yeah, the beta wasn't choppy on my system but it seemed to suffer frame rate lag, like skipped frames. The first couple maps I played on BF4 were liquid smooth but by the 3rd map it had some frame rate lag again? I was asking my friends i was in comms with if they were having any issues but they were either too busy to reply or didn't have issues so didn't say anything.

Basically it runs really good though.

21. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 12:12 eRe4s3r

Edit: "Better to complain about it than to do something" - perfect summary of Bluesnews/the Internet/mankind/all living creatures from eRe4s3r

Being honest about own failings is the first step to enlightenment. Or maybe it's the second... But be fair, this is my hobby and messing about with VPN's to play 3 days earlier while fun to do for SP games is pretty damn pointless for MP games, as ping is important in BF3/4 thanks to the netcode, when I do VPN trickery I end up playing with people from god-knows-where with terrible pings. So nah, i wait till EU unlocks ;p

20. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 12:02 jimnms

I wasn't planning to get this on release, but I caved and bought it from GMG a couple of days ago with the 20% off code.  

Steam Profile

19. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 12:01 RollinThundr

I feel a lot more tired of modern shooters than I ever did of WW2 ones, although that may be because of the way they're made rather than their setting (or because I'm getting old but I'd rather not focus on that).

I never got my money's worth from BF3 because of the unlock system and I won't be buying BF4 because of this. Aside from the annoyance of not getting to play with the toys I've paid for, the unlock system affects the balance.

Being worse than everyone else is an occupational hazard when you don't play that game or ones like it very much but to be worse than everyone else and have worse gear and no kill streak bonuses and so on - this adds injury to insult by actively disadvantaging me.

waaah I don't get all the unlocks right off the bat, I can't compete, so damn entitled some of you.

18. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 11:59 MoreLuckThanSkill

Only played a bit of BF4 so far, but it seems to be a bit more sluggish than BF3, although still playable. Framerates seem to be around 50-60fps with pretty much everything turned on except Motion Blur.

Radeon 7970 3GB
Intel i860 2.8ghz
6GB(2gb is out, needing replacement)
Corsair 512GB Neutron SSD
Windows 7

I'm sure I could get a constant 70+ fps if I turned off everything, but that would be sacrilege.

Also, I do get repeated warnings from BF4/Battlelog to update my Catalyst drivers to 13.9+, I'll try that when I get home from work.

PS. Tanks are horribly nerfed(clip system), every single other thing in the game seems to have gotten a buff, it's mind boggling. Although it's too early to tell for sure, early on balance seems to be skewed away from tanks to airpower definitely, as well as RPG infantry.

17. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 11:57 RaZ0r!

InBlack wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 11:07:
How is Planetside2 these days? Last time I checked it out it was buggy as hell and only fun sporadically (depending on what given squad I could join at the time)

Pretty fun. I usually run solo though as a Light Assault flanking people like crazy.

16. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 11:54 RaZ0r!

Nurgel wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 11:21:
Oh and the spotting system for BF4 seems pretty much unchanged from BF3 and Bad Company 2 before that, as far as I can tell. Maybe they ripped it off from the original Planetside? I never played too much Planetside.

Maybe I never noticed it much on the prior games. Not sure.

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo