Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

ROAM vs How to Survive

An update on Kickstarter from ROAM is called "How to Steal," as it calls out 505 Games for allegedly using their game ideas for How to Survive, and noting that prior to publishing How to Survive, 505 had been in touch with them about publishing ROAM. We have contacted 505 Games for a comment about this, but have not yet received a reply. Meanwhile, a follow-up update (thanks nin) for ROAM apologizes for making this a public dispute, and says they are moving forward with no plans to pursue this further. Finally, a third ROAM Kickstarter update from just moments ago allows that this may all be "the craziest coincidence" the ROAM developer has ever experienced. Here's a bit:

So, after this thing has blown up so big it’s been brought to my attention that on a French website "How to Survive" had existed under a different name, "Monster Island". A title being developed in France. 505 games picked up "Monster Island" and renamed it to "How to Survive". I scoured the net to find the development history behind “How to Survive” and I couldn’t find anything of it besides it being announced by 505 out of the blue in May, months after our Kickstarter campaign had ended. I don't speak French, but I did try my best to do my homework before posting a statement.

In my mind during the chain of events: 505games contacted Roam about publishing, Roam declined, 505games went and found someone to make "Roam".

What might’ve actually happened: 505games contacted Roam about publishing, Roam declined, so 505games went to Ekosoft and picked up their "Monster Island". This is fair.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: ROAM vs How to Survive Oct 29, 2013, 08:48 nin

dj LiTh wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 04:17:
I'm a backer of ROAM, so maybe that skews my view a little. However the way i see it, its just a passionate dev thats putting everything he had into something, then sees a competing product coming out that was published by the same people that wanted to publish roam, and he went off the hinges.

That was my take as well...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: ROAM vs How to Survive Oct 29, 2013, 07:44 netnerd85

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 18:09:
netnerd85 wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 11:34:
This game is NOTHING like how to survive: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roam/roam/posts?page=4

OMG! Activision and id software ripped off my game idea for a First Person Shooter... what a douche.

I am contacting R*. ROAM appears to have stole their idea of top down driving.
zOMG, it's just GTA with Zombies

24. Re: ROAM vs How to Survive Oct 29, 2013, 07:41 Armengar

ROAM went full retard. Never go full retard.  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

23. Re: ROAM vs How to Survive Oct 29, 2013, 05:36 BadPennyz

Nothing like some controversy to stir up attention for your game. this game was totally off my radar, now I wanna play it.  

22. Re: ROAM vs How to Survive Oct 29, 2013, 04:17 dj LiTh

I'm a backer of ROAM, so maybe that skews my view a little. However the way i see it, its just a passionate dev thats putting everything he had into something, then sees a competing product coming out that was published by the same people that wanted to publish roam, and he went off the hinges. Of course in hindsight he now sees it wasnt as clear cut as all that, and the other game was in development before ROAM so now has egg on his face. Pretty clear to me. Just something for this dev and future dev's to learn from when working on their passion projects.  

21. Re: ROAM vs How to Survive Oct 28, 2013, 18:45 Julio

So now that ROAM has proven they stole Ekosoft's idea, are they going to stop development? Turnabout is fair play, no?

I didn't invest in ROAM, it just didn't look that promising. I will be buying How To Survive though.

20. Re: ROAM vs How to Survive Oct 28, 2013, 18:16 Taskeen

http://i.imgur.com/agJIP.gif  

19. Re: ROAM vs How to Survive Oct 28, 2013, 18:09 xXBatmanXx

netnerd85 wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 11:34:
This game is NOTHING like how to survive: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roam/roam/posts?page=4

OMG! Activision and id software ripped off my game idea for a First Person Shooter... what a douche.

I am contacting R*. ROAM appears to have stole their idea of top down driving.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

18. Re: ROAM vs How to Survive Oct 28, 2013, 18:08 Quboid

Alamar wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 14:11:
Fibrocyte wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 13:51:
Because he's the accuser. This isn't a complex situation, guys.

Which is why Creston made the joke he did...

I'm not sure how you're failing to understand this line of thought.

-Alamar

This is what confused me. I didn't know the circumstances behind 505 contacting ROAM but if the KS was under way, evidently they couldn't have ripped off How to Survive/Monster Island. However, since Fibrocyte didn't simply point this out, I thought he must have thought Creston was at least making a serious comment.

- Quboid

17. Re: ROAM vs How to Survive Oct 28, 2013, 16:14 gilly775

Heh, there's a fanboy on the KS comments to the story who was saying he was contacting Steam to request a refund because 505 Games stole this idea and it makes him upset at the thought of it.  

16. Re: ROAM vs How to Survive Oct 28, 2013, 16:00 Blackhawk

Talk about setting yourself up for a libel suit.  

15. Re: ROAM vs How to Survive Oct 28, 2013, 14:47 Cutter

Prez wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 10:44:
I imagine that proving this in court would be tough or impossible unless they stole actual art assets and such, but the ROAM devs aren't claiming that 505 did anything like that. In gaming it's pretty much standard practice to "borrow" ideas from other games. I wish I had thought to copyright the use of zombies/undead walkers in interactive entertainment. I'm pretty sure I would be a quintillionaire by now.

I know, right? How is the idea of survival in a game anything new?

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

14. Re: ROAM vs How to Survive Oct 28, 2013, 14:11 Alamar

Fibrocyte wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 13:51:
Alamar wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 13:40:
Fibrocyte wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 11:29:
Quboid wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 10:59:
I can see why he'd be concerned but this is why you don't go public until you're damn sure. At best he's looking silly and if 505 Games aren't amused he could be sued.

I presume ROAM, the game, existed in development before 505 contacted Roam, the developer - so it couldn't be that in fact they're ripping off 505's idea (which I think was Creston's point, that you seemed to have missed Fibrocyte).

505 contacted ROAM through Kickstarter. Suggesting that Ryan ripped off "Monster Island" and is now trying to cover it up by accusing 505 of stealing from him is absolutely absurd. If Ryan stole from anyone then his best course of action is to stay quiet.

So I didn't miss Creston's point at all. Creston missed what is going on here. However, like I said in my initial post, I agree that he should've did some serious fact checking before going public.

How is it absurd that eh may have stolen the idea from "Monster Island"...

Maybe because he didn't know about it before this fiasco... Oh wait, who claimed that? : )

-Alamar

Which is why Creston made the joke he did...

I'm not sure how you're failing to understand this line of thought.

-Alamar

13. Re: ROAM vs How to Survive Oct 28, 2013, 13:51 Fibrocyte

Alamar wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 13:40:
I can see why he'd be concerned but this is why you don't go public until you're damn sure. At best he's looking silly and if 505 Games aren't amused he could be sued.

I presume ROAM, the game, existed in development before 505 contacted Roam, the developer - so it couldn't be that in fact they're ripping off 505's idea (which I think was Creston's point, that you seemed to have missed Fibrocyte).

505 contacted ROAM through Kickstarter. Suggesting that Ryan ripped off "Monster Island" and is now trying to cover it up by accusing 505 of stealing from him is absolutely absurd. If Ryan stole from anyone then his best course of action is to stay quiet.

So I didn't miss Creston's point at all. Creston missed what is going on here. However, like I said in my initial post, I agree that he should've did some serious fact checking before going public.

Maybe because he didn't know about it before this fiasco... Oh wait, who claimed that? : )

-Alamar

12. Re: ROAM vs How to Survive Oct 28, 2013, 13:40 HorrorScope

Prez wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 10:44:
I imagine that proving this in court would be tough or impossible

Costly to. You guys remember those little tiny motorcycles of several years back people were getting? I know the players of the largest mfg of them then. One guy designed it, took to another guy to get mfg in china, the dude crossed him, he went over to China and started another company with his designs designs. Years and 100's of k's later...

11. Re: ROAM vs How to Survive Oct 28, 2013, 13:40 Alamar

-Alamar

10. Re: ROAM vs How to Survive Oct 28, 2013, 11:34 netnerd85

9. Re: ROAM vs How to Survive Oct 28, 2013, 11:29 Fibrocyte

8. Re: ROAM vs How to Survive Oct 28, 2013, 11:25 The Half Elf

Actually this is sorta funny (not in a good way), as I saw Bats playing this on Steam and asked him 'Is that the game where you can build defenses and bases (because I saw the video of ROAM) and How to Survive looked identical without the structure building part.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

7. Re: ROAM vs How to Survive Oct 28, 2013, 11:22 nin

Fibrocyte wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 10:49:
Creston wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 10:40:
What to do when you're stealing someone's game:

Step 1) Accuse the other guy of stealing YOUR game.

It's okay if you don't understand what is going on here.

Seriously!

I can see why he'd be concerned but this is why you don't go public until you're damn sure.

Yeah, this kinda backfired. I don't blame him a bit for the initial alarm, but now that more details are coming to light...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo