Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players "Aren't Gamers"

"Regardless of platform - people's gaming habits aren't going to change just because there's a new platform," he said. "We have an enormous amount of players who are more in the casual game space, but they play a lot," Infinity Ward executive producer Mark Rubin tells IGN. "It's kind of a weird, ironic thing to say; They aren't hardcore gamers, or even gamers, but they play Call of Duty every night. And those guys are going to continue to play regardless of platform. So I think not only will we continue to engage with that existing player base, but we'll take next gen and see how far we can go with it." Thanks HARDOCP.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players Oct 29, 2013, 11:04 Ant

Prez wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 13:53:
Don't confuse girls not liking you because of gaming... your attitude and looks play a large role.

Dammit. That's three strikes and I'm out! ...
Ditto. I am fugly and lame.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players Oct 29, 2013, 11:04 Ant

I was a hardcore gamer when I played CoD 1-4!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

39. Re: Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players Oct 28, 2013, 23:56 Glykon

Keep in mind my words : soon you'll have a lot of this new generation of "gamers" paying 10 USD for 90 min of playing a game cause its entertainment right, like a movie...

Dont forget that there are reasons why governments "forget" to regulate the gaming and F2P market, there are a lot of shady business abusing these kids and a lot of black money, so expect only the worst

38. Re: Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players Oct 28, 2013, 23:40 xXBatmanXx

huh?  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

37. Re: Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players Oct 28, 2013, 20:42 Simon Says

Minuit wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 15:18:
The full quote was a bit more interesting, but it was cut from the interview. I expect it went a bit like this, and involved Mark Rubin inexplicably doing a spot-on impression of Hugo Weaving:

"I'd like to share a revelation that Iíve had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify our customers, and I realised that CoD players are not actually gamers. Every gamer on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their game library; but CoD players do not. Instead they play the same game over, and over again, until there is nothing left to play. The only way for them to survive is to spread to a sequel with the same engine and 90% recycled content. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern... a virus. CoD players are a disease, a cancer on this planet, they are a plague, and we... are the cure."

Lol, there's one for the quote book.

You're going to like this Minuit: http://alturl.com/icxyp ( Forwards to a facebook public picture. )

And about this whole topic, two words "MAINSTREAM CURSE". Or you could simplify even further to a single word "SHAREHOLDERS".

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2013, 21:48.

36. Re: Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players Oct 28, 2013, 17:57 Dwarf-Snowninja

NKD wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 17:27:
He raises a good point

We all know there are a lot of people who basically just play COD, or just play Madden, or just play World of Warcrap. Yes, technically they are playing a game, but in the same way someone plays a Facebook game or something on their cell phone while on public transportation. They aren't gamers, they don't identify as gamers, and eventually they'll stop playing even those games when their popped collar wearing bros go to doing something else.

I had a similar argument with someone claiming to be an avid reading, when all they ever read was revolutionary war history/commentary (not joking). In the same spirit, they're not a reader, they're just fond of reading about a small segment of history, and ignore other time periods, fiction, whatever. Playing one thing does not make you a gamer, merely someone who plays a game (and its not a small segment of people, its a LOT that play just CoD).

35. Re: Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players Oct 28, 2013, 17:27 NKD

He raises a good point

We all know there are a lot of people who basically just play COD, or just play Madden, or just play World of Warcrap. Yes, technically they are playing a game, but in the same way someone plays a Facebook game or something on their cell phone while on public transportation. They aren't gamers, they don't identify as gamers, and eventually they'll stop playing even those games when their popped collar wearing bros go to doing something else.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

34. Re: Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players Oct 28, 2013, 16:38 Ozmodan

If they are not gamers, what are they doing? What a ridiculous comment, does not speak well of what developers think does it?

33. Re: Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players Oct 28, 2013, 16:12 Creston

The full quote was a bit more interesting, but it was cut from the interview. I expect it went a bit like this, and involved Mark Rubin inexplicably doing a spot-on impression of Hugo Weaving:

"I'd like to share a revelation that Iíve had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify our customers, and I realised that CoD players are not actually gamers. Every gamer on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their game library; but CoD players do not. Instead they play the same game over, and over again, until there is nothing left to play. The only way for them to survive is to spread to a sequel with the same engine and 90% recycled content. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern... a virus. CoD players are a disease, a cancer on this planet, they are a plague, and we... are the cure."

Hahaha, bravo, good sir.

32. Re: Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players Oct 28, 2013, 16:08 Alamar

One of the few times I would support a voting system on Blues : )

-Alamar

31. Re: Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players Oct 28, 2013, 15:22 Sepharo

Hah that was pretty good

30. Re: Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players Oct 28, 2013, 15:18 Minuit

29. Re: Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players Oct 28, 2013, 14:54 Slashman

Cutter wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 14:49:
Well it would explain why they have such poor taste. These are the assholes that keep reality tv alive and well too. Yeah, because watching people do daily chores like driving a truck is just interesting beyond fucking words. Rolleyes

There are people who watch people cutting down trees that think it makes great entertainment.

You could at least make a small case for the repo-man shows(provided that crap isn't staged anyway). But yeah. Reality tv is bottom-feeder territory.

28. Re: Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players Oct 28, 2013, 14:49 Cutter

Well it would explain why they have such poor taste. These are the assholes that keep reality tv alive and well too. Yeah, because watching people do daily chores like driving a truck is just interesting beyond fucking words. Rolleyes

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

27. Re: Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players Oct 28, 2013, 14:48 SpectralMeat

saluk wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 14:33:
Although some of them only play COD
Ones you get married you'll understand why

Steam: SpectralMeat

26. Re: Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players Oct 28, 2013, 14:33 saluk

ItBurn wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 14:12:
HorrorScope wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 14:10:
ItBurn wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 13:44:
I'm absolutely a great catch. I take care of myself and have a good career. I'm also modest But it doesn't matter. The girls hear you're a gamer, they run away fast. It's not me, the stereotype is in full effect still. Of course there are exceptions, but they are rare.

Ask Dick:
Not as rare as a "Great Catch". Ok, like how many hours are you playing and are you willing to give several of them up to make a relationship happen? Why are you being described as "being a gamer"?

Perhaps you are in the casual crowd, known as fashionable to me. There are many other clicks out there. I'm not saying it helps that you are a gamer, but I didn't find it (married now) the issue, unless I was compulsive.

I'm not sure I understand what you just said... But anyway, I've had girlfriends before who accepted me for who I am All I'm saying is that gaming is still a stigma nowadays.

Gaming is still a stigma [i]for the group whom grew up with it as a stigma[/i]. Attitudes change over time, but not generally within a single individual. I was at a youth group party a year ago where the girls were playing mario kart on the wii, and the guys were joking around and looking up stuff on youtube. Saying girls don't like games or gamers is a stereotype. Of course it's probably true for certain groups. When skyrim came out, most of the girls I know had heard of it and were interested in hearing about it - even the ones who don't really game. It's never been a factor in my strike-outs. Most of the married guys I hang out with game as well.

Although some of them only play COD

25. Re: Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players Oct 28, 2013, 14:27 ItBurn

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 14:20:
I'm not sure I understand what you just said... But anyway, I've had girlfriends before who accepted me for who I am All I'm saying is that gaming is still a stigma nowadays.

So are many things, yes it's true they don't all want you for some reason or another. Literally 100's of reasons why. And you sort of changed your tune... went from they run from you to I've had GF's that accepted me. It's hard to be Dick the Couples Therapist on this end. LOL

Geez, this is getting awfully personal I've had girlfriends who were ok with gaming, but when I date, most women see it as an important negative(hense the "they run away" part). I'm not going to elaborate further on my personal life :p I do think that the current below-18 generation is a lot more accepting of gaming though.

24. Re: Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players Oct 28, 2013, 14:24 HorrorScope

Suppa7 wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 14:20:
HorrorScope wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 10:01:
Sounds hardcore to me, they aren't casual. Definitely gamers, not sure why he said that. Some people only play WoW, nothing new here.

That's not what he means, if you only play one game. You're not really interested in videogames.

I've updated me thoughts a little. I will surrender that there is a very small % of COD players that play it every day and don't play other games. For that small %, imo not even really worth noting, yes they can fall into that category. Personally I don't know of this person that plays COD daily and nothing else, it exists, like the WoW guy does. I'd say though if it weren't for COD, then it would be them vegging on BF or the like. They just are loyal to what they like, if so then they are gamers just exclusive to one at a time. The Monogamous Gamer.

23. Re: Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players Oct 28, 2013, 14:20 Suppa7

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 10:01:
Sounds hardcore to me, they aren't casual. Definitely gamers, not sure why he said that. Some people only play WoW, nothing new here.

That's not what he means, if you only play one game. You're not really interested in videogames. You're interested in the aesthetic experience. A "real gamer" is going to play lots of different games. If you're playing only one that's pretty good evidence you really not into videogames and if it wasn't for the realistic american war hard on shooting graphics you wouldn't be there.

I think that's a fair thing to say. Games reached a graphical threshold that attracted these 'one game wonders' to gaming. To say they are 'videogamers' is a stretch because they only play a single fucking game.

Imagine if the videogame world was only comprised of those kinds of people, that means there would be only ONE game developer pumping out the same game. That's insane.

I think we can call them 'hardcore single game casual players'. But to call them 'gamers' suggests they are actually interested in other videogames. i.e. they like gaming in general.

22. Re: Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players Oct 28, 2013, 14:20 HorrorScope

So are many things, yes it's true they don't all want you for some reason or another. Literally 100's of reasons why. And you sort of changed your tune... went from they run from you to I've had GF's that accepted me. It's hard to be Dick the Couples Therapist on this end. LOL

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo