Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New WHQL GeForce Drivers

The GeForce website now offers new version 331.65 WHQL-certified drivers for NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards. Here's word on all the newness these bring:

The new GeForce 331.65 WHQL driver is now available to download. An essential update for all GeForce GTX users, 331.65 WHQL is the Game Ready driver for Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty: Ghosts, and includes the Batman: Arkham Origins optimizations introduced alongside 331.58 WHQL last week. With 331.65 WHQL, you’ll receive a great gaming experience from day one with the latest driver tweaks and performance optimizations, including up to 12% extra performance in Battlefield 4.

Other titles benefit, too: Sniper Elite V2 performance increases by up to 19%, DiRT Showdown performance by up to 13%, Metro: Last Light performance by up to 9%, Sleeping Dogs performance by up to 9%, Max Payne 3 performance by up to 9%, and F1 2012 performance by up to 6%.

GeForce 331.65 WHQL also sees the introduction of GeForce Experience 1.7, which includes the long-awaited ShadowPlay Beta, an innovative gameplay recording tool that can constantly record the action with a minimal performance impact thanks to the H.264 encoder built into GeForce GTX 600 and 700 Series GPUs. For full details about ShadowPlay, and other new features of GeForce Experience 1.7, please check out our GeForce Experience 1.7 launch story.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: New WHQL GeForce Drivers Oct 29, 2013, 15:34 belowzeros

What you describe sounds like some issue with power states. It can actually depend your browser and desktop settings when your card switches to 3D mode and back to 2D Mode (these are just power profiles, got nothing to do with 3D/2D in that sense).

The newer drivers have a more aggressive power profiling so maybe that's your problem. In any way, this sounds more like a card/chipset issue than a driver issue. The driver is just making these BSOD's happen because the card doesn't respond properly to the new power profiling.

If you got rivatuner or what was it, you can set your card to always be in 3D mode which should fix your BSOD's. (will cause higher power usage)

thanks for that lengthy explanation. sounds like it could certainly be a suspect. I'll give it a whirl. Haven't been able to upgrade since 314.22.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: New WHQL GeForce Drivers Oct 29, 2013, 09:07 HoSpanky

Hey, I thought shadowplay was destroying my framerate last night, then realized how loud my computer was getting. Checked the drivers, and while every other setting had carried over, SLI didn't. Computer ran quiet again, and Shadowplay doesn't cause any noticeable framerate issues, altho the resulting video doesn't run as smoothly. It's not AWFUL, but it certainly isn't the buttery smoothness that I was playing. Might be the codec, or WMP. Any suggestions?

Also thanks Eraser and Dmitri, GF's computer has bluescreened a few times just browsing the Internet. Gonna try the power management thing. Mine hasn't had that problem, and it's running a pair of 760s.

28. Re: New WHQL GeForce Drivers Oct 29, 2013, 07:03 Dmitri_M

Video driver failed & recovered
In the Nvidia 3D configuration set your power management to maximum.

By default Nvidia's drivers are set to switch the card to a low power mode ("adaptive") when not in use. Sometimes this happens while playing games..hence the driver restart error. Basically the card stops receiving enough power and the driver restarts. I've had this problem with nearly every NV card since the 7 series. Setting power management to maximum performance always solved it. There are tons of people with this problem yet somehow Nvidia doesn't document this really easy fix.

27. Re: New WHQL GeForce Drivers Oct 29, 2013, 03:36 eRe4s3r

ventry wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 18:46:
belowzeros wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 17:31:
I have a 560ti and suffered from that blue screen problem that started happening with new drivers about i dunno 3-4 months ago.

anyone know if they solved that prob? seemed like quite a few 5xx users had the prob.

Yep same card and haven't used a new driver since 214.11 because of annoying bluescreens.
Will not be updating until confirmation that this problem is fixed.
The funny thing is it doesn't happen while playing games only on the desktop or surfing the net.

What you describe sounds like some issue with power states. It can actually depend your browser and desktop settings when your card switches to 3D mode and back to 2D Mode (these are just power profiles, got nothing to do with 3D/2D in that sense).

The newer drivers have a more aggressive power profiling so maybe that's your problem. In any way, this sounds more like a card/chipset issue than a driver issue. The driver is just making these BSOD's happen because the card doesn't respond properly to the new power profiling.

If you got rivatuner or what was it, you can set your card to always be in 3D mode which should fix your BSOD's. (will cause higher power usage)

26. Re: New WHQL GeForce Drivers Oct 29, 2013, 00:29 xXBatmanXx

Video driver failed & recovered".

I get that everytime I play BF3, takes 2-3 attempts to join a server to actually join. Only game that does that.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

25. Re: New WHQL GeForce Drivers Oct 28, 2013, 23:53 eRe4s3r

HoSpanky wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 18:47:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 10:53:
The GTX 600 series has an h.264 encoder built into the GPU? WTF? Funny they mention that now, as x.264 encoding tools don't seem aware that my GPU apparently has a real-time h.264 encoder...

The hardware encoder shouldn't be THAT much of a surprise. It's how the Nvidia Shield streams games, and that requires a 600 series or better. Nice to see they're realizing it has other uses.

Yeah, but how do I use it WITHOUT the Shield system? If I wanna encode something other than realtime gameplay?

24. Re: New WHQL GeForce Drivers Oct 28, 2013, 21:11 HorrorScope

Zarkonis wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 20:23:
I have a 560ti and suffered from that blue screen problem that started happening with new drivers about i dunno 3-4 months ago.

anyone know if they solved that prob? seemed like quite a few 5xx users had the prob.

Yep same card and haven't used a new driver since 214.11 because of annoying bluescreens.
The funny thing is it doesn't happen while playing games only on the desktop or surfing the net.

I'm still using an 8600GT, and I've been having the same problems, seemingly at random, but it's become a lot more frequent in the last month.

It's hard for anyone to say what will work for any system. I had an issue like this about 2 months ago on a beta driver which I typically use. But been on 327.23 for a while now. PC has been on for 36 straight days. It's pretty simple trying for the most part.

23. Re: New WHQL GeForce Drivers Oct 28, 2013, 20:23 Zarkonis

I'm still using an 8600GT, and I've been having the same problems, seemingly at random, but it's become a lot more frequent in the last month.

Slow and steady might not win the race at first, until you shoot everyone ahead of you.

22. Re: New WHQL GeForce Drivers Oct 28, 2013, 19:17 Drayth

The remove old driver option that people are referring to does a "clean uninstall" of the old drivers. Meaning it does what Driver Cleaner used to do and removes all traces of the old driver (and of the other related components).

This is why you also loose all your custom settings.

21. Re: New WHQL GeForce Drivers Oct 28, 2013, 18:47 HoSpanky

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 10:53:
The GTX 600 series has an h.264 encoder built into the GPU? WTF? Funny they mention that now, as x.264 encoding tools don't seem aware that my GPU apparently has a real-time h.264 encoder...

The hardware encoder shouldn't be THAT much of a surprise. It's how the Nvidia Shield streams games, and that requires a 600 series or better. Nice to see they're realizing it has other uses.

20. Re: New WHQL GeForce Drivers Oct 28, 2013, 18:46 ventry

19. Re: New WHQL GeForce Drivers Oct 28, 2013, 18:04 Ryan Lange

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 15:29:
You know if you choose custom install with Nvidia, you can choose to remove the old drivers?

The installer removes the previous drivers no matter what. I think what you're referring to is the option to remove any existing settings (things like custom profiles for games).

18. Re: New WHQL GeForce Drivers Oct 28, 2013, 17:31 belowzeros

17. Re: New WHQL GeForce Drivers Oct 28, 2013, 16:21 RaZ0r!

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 15:29:
You know if you choose custom install with Nvidia, you can choose to remove the old drivers?

No I didn't. I might fall back to that if I start having trouble letting GeForce Experience update it for me. Thanks!

16. Re: New WHQL GeForce Drivers Oct 28, 2013, 16:13 Bucky

BurntSoul wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 15:03:
How about a second person?

Anyway, ShadowPlay is brainless to set up (because it's already done). A key command will automatically save 5 minutes of past gameplay. The high setting will make a 1.9GB file in that 5 minutes (resolution is 1920x1080 at 60FPS). I don't know if the driver scans your system and gives you the best setting for your rig, but that was automatically selected for me. You can also extend the automatic shadowplay mode for up to 20 minutes (7.5 GB file) and lower the quality. Finally, you can also go into 'manual' mode, which I'm guessing is recording whenever for however long that you want to.

Make it a third, and I use GeForce Experience to pull in and install the Beta drivers as well.

Out of laziness (since I could just go play with it), does ShadowPlay start recording when you hit the key command, or does it record in a continuous loop and then save when you execute the command?

Edit: Reading comprehension failure. BurntSoul had already given me the answer, and I even quoted it. Embarassed

15. Re: New WHQL GeForce Drivers Oct 28, 2013, 15:29 The Half Elf

RaZ0r! wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 13:46:
Being old school, I've always went to Add/Remove and removed the old Nvidia drivers manually before installing a new ones.

This time I decided to let GeForce Experience do it's thing and update me. I didn't even have to reboot which was nice. I'm curious to see if allowing GeForce Experience to upgrade me will cause any problems down the road. I figure if it fails in some way I can manually remove and clean everything then go back to my old ways.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

14. Re: New WHQL GeForce Drivers Oct 28, 2013, 15:03 BurntSoul

How about a second person?

Anyway, ShadowPlay is brainless to set up (because it's already done). A key command will automatically save 5 minutes of past gameplay. The high setting will make a 1.9GB file in that 5 minutes (resolution is 1920x1080 at 60FPS). I don't know if the driver scans your system and gives you the best setting for your rig, but that was automatically selected for me. You can also extend the automatic shadowplay mode for up to 20 minutes (7.5 GB file) and lower the quality. Finally, you can also go into 'manual' mode, which I'm guessing is recording whenever for however long that you want to.

13. Re: New WHQL GeForce Drivers Oct 28, 2013, 14:20 NegaDeath

RaZ0r! wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 13:46:
Being old school, I've always went to Add/Remove and removed the old Nvidia drivers manually before installing a new ones.

This time I decided to let GeForce Experience do it's thing and update me. I didn't even have to reboot which was nice. I'm curious to see if allowing GeForce Experience to upgrade me will cause any problems down the road. I figure if it fails in some way I can manually remove and clean everything then go back to my old ways.

I've been letting that Experience program update my drivers without any issues so far. Though one person is a meaningless statistic.

12. Re: New WHQL GeForce Drivers Oct 28, 2013, 14:13 Fantaz

NVidia just did price cuts for GTX 770 and 780 in response to AMD. Interesting... I wonder if I can hold out until Black Friday.  

11. Re: New WHQL GeForce Drivers Oct 28, 2013, 14:09 SpectralMeat

ShadowPlay seems interesting. I'll have to give it a try. I have Fraps but if SP will take less system resources to record then why not use it.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo