Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 29, 2013, 08:33 BitWraith

The marketing thing is arguable. The rest of that stuff are things that the average consumer would not necessarily know.

I own a Wii. I was educated on what the WiiU was. I just didn't feel a burning desire to upgrade. "Shitty controller" is in the exact same consumer category as "Modern Warfare looks the same". They're both NOT compelling reasons to upgrade.

All I'm saying is that is the very problem I believe that the new console generation is going to have. That's my prediction, I could be wrong.

I owned a 360 last cycle. I probably will be sticking solely with my PC this cycle.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 28, 2013, 19:57 Agent.X7

Julio wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 18:55:
BitWraith wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 13:31:
Wii-U is a solid example of what I'm talking about. You could put a Ferrari equivalent engine in a Yugo, and still no one would buy it.

I'm thinking the Wii-U failed because of the overpriced tablet style controller combined with lack of good games. I don't see PS4 having these issues. As for the Xflopone, I see it dead on arrival.

WiiU failed because:

Marketing fuck up - NOBODY knows WTF the WiiU is. Portable Wii? New controller? New console? Why the FUCK would you name it the WiiU instead of Wii 2 or ANY OTHER FUCKING NAME?

Shitty hardware - Still more than a gen behind.

Shitty OS - takes FOREVER to do anything.

NO FUCKING GAMES.

I will keep on preaching that Nintendo needs to pull a Sega. Get out of consoles and focus on making tons of money by making Mario, Zelda, and Metroid for Sony and MS. Also, they do a good job with handhelds.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

37. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 28, 2013, 19:42 Axis

Wii U has had one hell of a rocky beginning in many ways, and at times I get pretty annoyed as much as I hate to admit it.

HOWEVER, It's such an easy pass on Xbone and PS4, I know I made the right decision if only because I view consoles as fun toys, srs bsns gaming is done on PC.

And the PS4 and Xbone is not so rosy as everyone fanboyed about. The Wii U has more 1080o x 60fps AAA titles, has the best legacy controls and an incredible 2nd display control (when done right like Rayman Legends), and is well known to never buckle in light of opposition.

I expect it will remain easily comparable should sales of the unit pick up which I'm convinced it will - Christmas is coming, hopefully Nintendo has some pixie dust up it's sleeve...

Yours truly,

Axis

36. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 28, 2013, 18:55 Julio

BitWraith wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 13:31:
Wii-U is a solid example of what I'm talking about. You could put a Ferrari equivalent engine in a Yugo, and still no one would buy it.

I'm thinking the Wii-U failed because of the overpriced tablet style controller combined with lack of good games. I don't see PS4 having these issues. As for the Xflopone, I see it dead on arrival.

35. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 28, 2013, 17:53 The Half Elf

Creston wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 16:28:
I think the best solution for Microsoft is to just pack an extra PS4 in the Xbone box. Apparently you can even run them side by side.

Oh God we'll never see Bats again!

As for patching and playing on demand, a few MMO's use it now, but I remember having to fight every time I resintalled Guild Wars to download everything at one time.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

34. Re: Good bye dvd format Oct 28, 2013, 17:24 Frijoles

BitWraith wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 15:34:
The only hang-up with steam is the time it takes to download. Valve should (and I think they are working on) offer a streaming service.

Doesn't Steam already do a partial-download-and-play method? It's not streaming, but I recall HL2 letting me play it before it was finished downloading. The experience was pretty horrible, but perhaps they could improve it (like how WoW does it).

33. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 28, 2013, 17:07 HorrorScope

BitWraith wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 14:49:
I think chasing graphics quality is sort of pointless at this point. Games look pretty darn good already. Where they need to focus their efforts is in PHYSICS.

Right on the PC end. The current Gen, no. And it sounds 2/3's of nextgen is punching in on NO as well.

32. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 28, 2013, 16:31 Beamer

Creston wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 16:09:
Beamer wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 14:53:
I think chasing graphics quality is sort of pointless at this point. Games look pretty darn good already. Where they need to focus their efforts is in PHYSICS. Rather than faking that building falling over (albeit, very cool effect), make a city where the buildings dynamically fall over. I'd buy that console...

Yeah, I'd love the day where I can fire a rocket launcher and blast the side off of any building I want, but ultimately that requires someone modeling the inside of any building. And then RAM storing all the models/items in it.

I don't know if we'll ever get there.

We had a game like that. It sold pretty decently too. Then its devs decided to make Armageddon instead of a sequel.

Yeah, but those were very basic shacks you ran into, or a few template wasteland bases. Not a real city. I loved the engine but hated the game.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

31. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 28, 2013, 16:28 Creston

I think the best solution for Microsoft is to just pack an extra PS4 in the Xbone box. Apparently you can even run them side by side.  

30. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 28, 2013, 16:23 JeffD

Creston wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 16:09:

We had a game like that. It sold pretty decently too. Then its devs decided to make Armageddon instead of a sequel.

I'd hardly classify red faction as a physics destruction marvel since the game really didn't have any physics.

The difficulty does rely however on having buildings to be completely modeled. This is not really a hardware issue (We haven't rendered polygons we can't see in ages and detail levels inside can be managed with LOD) but manpower to design all the rooms and connect them internally. This is pretty much why we have seen very little interest in complex physics, we lack enough complex terrain that we can actually blow up. We still need that open world where all buildings are complete.

29. Re: Good bye dvd format Oct 28, 2013, 16:22 Creston

Yosemite Sam wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 16:21:
Finally got someone to steal my Elegy... my ignition bomb wired Elegy. Enjoyed that so much I wired up another car and got someone to take that bait too. Be aware of a nice ride parked at LS Customs, might be an easy 8 grand or might be a bait car

You evil, evil person.

28. Re: Good bye dvd format Oct 28, 2013, 16:21 Yosemite Sam

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 15:42:
'Xbox Hang Up' LOL

I will say that I'm interested in the game recording/sharing, as I'm not going to invest in a capture card/software, but would love to show off how to steal the c130 from GTA 5.

Would have been nice to record the record fail the crew... ok, I, did on one of the missions the other day. Got out of my car so another crew member could use it to take our mission NPC to his destination. An unfortunate decision on where I parked it, and bad timing, resulted in the NPC walking up to the car just as a train showed up. Funny as hell as we all clued into what was about to happen but could do nothing but watch as the train destroyed my car and killed the NPC.

Finally got someone to steal my Elegy... my ignition bomb wired Elegy. Enjoyed that so much I wired up another car and got someone to take that bait too. Be aware of a nice ride parked at LS Customs, might be an easy 8 grand or might be a bait car

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

27. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 28, 2013, 16:09 Creston

I think chasing graphics quality is sort of pointless at this point. Games look pretty darn good already. Where they need to focus their efforts is in PHYSICS. Rather than faking that building falling over (albeit, very cool effect), make a city where the buildings dynamically fall over. I'd buy that console...

Yeah, I'd love the day where I can fire a rocket launcher and blast the side off of any building I want, but ultimately that requires someone modeling the inside of any building. And then RAM storing all the models/items in it.

26. Re: Good bye dvd format Oct 28, 2013, 15:46 JeffD

BitWraith wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 15:34:
The PC seems to be skipping Blu-Ray altogether in favor of downloads (steam).

Yea but that was when the largest download was 18 gigs... when a game is 49 gigs I think we're going to see a shift back to store bought boxes for most. I've purchased older games dirt cheap on steam just for the sake of having steam manage storing my old games, but I still pretty much buy all new games from the store. Installing from disc is so much faster.

25. Re: Good bye dvd format Oct 28, 2013, 15:42 Verno

JeffD wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 15:22:
You know, I'm surprised no one mentioned this, but I think with the release of the next gen consoles and its games, and game ports to pc, we could be seeing a quick and drastic changeover from dvd to blueray disc on the pc front. Considering I don't know of any games released on blueray yet, this could be a huge wakeup call for pc owners like me who haven't upgraded their dvdr. -_-

Somehow I can't see Ghost coming out on 7 DVD's.

A lot of people aren't even using optical drives anymore though and Bluray on the PC is a giant pain in the ass. I bet manufacturers will start scrimping on optical drives over the next 3 years since it seems like most PC users just DL everything.

'Xbox Hang Up' LOL

I will say that I'm interested in the game recording/sharing, as I'm not going to invest in a capture card/software, but would love to show off how to steal the c130 from GTA 5.

Yeah a lot of people are shrugging that stuff off but I've had a ton of awesome moments in various games I'd love to throw up on Youtube or whatever for buddies. The PS4 buffers for a hella long time too, something like 15 mins and you can make your own custom recordings as long as you want.

They confirmed recently you can throw any 2.5" 12.5mm drive in the PS4 so I'm gonna pick up a 1.5TB or something for just that purpose.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

24. Re: Good bye dvd format Oct 28, 2013, 15:42 The Half Elf

'Xbox Hang Up' LOL

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

23. Re: Good bye dvd format Oct 28, 2013, 15:34 BitWraith

JeffD wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 15:22:
You know, I'm surprised no one mentioned this, but I think with the release of the next gen consoles and its games, and game ports to pc, we could be seeing a quick and drastic changeover from dvd to blueray disc on the pc front. Considering I don't know of any games released on blueray yet, this could be a huge wakeup call for pc owners like me who haven't upgraded their dvdr. -_-

The PC seems to be skipping Blu-Ray altogether in favor of downloads (steam). These games dump everything onto the hard-drive anyway (they don't read off the discs anymore).

The only hang-up with steam is the time it takes to download. Valve should (and I think they are working on) offer a streaming service.

22. Good bye dvd format Oct 28, 2013, 15:22 JeffD

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 28, 2013, 15:02 Beamer

BitWraith wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 14:57:

Yeah... one can dream eh.

Heh, and that has always been it. A MMOFPS where you can run in any building, destroy any building, topple over any building (and, ideally, run up the side of one into another like in Cloverfield), etc.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 28, 2013, 14:57 BitWraith

Yeah... one can dream eh.

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo