Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I thought I was frustrated with our football picks league before, but that's nothing compared with how upset I am with myself after yesterday. I mentioned someone sending me the picks their computer program was generating, and last week I changed one pick last week because of it, which turned out to be a winner. Well, this week the computer and I disagreed on four picks, and still being in the frame of mind that I was doing poorly, I changed three of my picks as a result: I kept the Giants to beat the Eagles, but decided to take the computer's advice on three games, changing my picks on Dallas, Atlanta, and Miami. If I'd stuck with my original choices I would have only lost on the Steelers so far, and would be 11-1, but by changing, I am 8-4. The silliest part is that I just got caught up in how the computer would do, but had those teams all won, I would not be proud since it would have been the outside help succeeding, so letting the computer influence me was sort of a lose/lose scenario. Lesson learned. And thus Mr. Loser laments.

R.I.P.: Lou Reed. Outsider Whose Dark, Lyrical Vision Helped Shape Rock ’n’ Roll

Lamentable Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Ninja Miner 2.
Link: Coach seating is getting even worse.
Science: Finding out whether we’re alone in the Universe.
3 Simple Ways to Time Travel (& 3 Complicated Ones). Thanks nin via Digg.
Media: The Brutally Honest Coca-Cola Commercial You’ll Never See On TV. Thanks Cutter.
The Funnies: Video Games vs. Real Life.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2013, 08:52 nin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 07:51:
Pretty frustrating they haven't released an update for Batman Origins yet......can't finish the one tower.....

Still waiting on a patch for the DC of DX:HR, too...a week later...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2013, 08:34 Verno

Sepharo wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 01:42:

I kind of wanted to pick the Raiders too. Based on them having the better record and being at home. But all three experts and the vast majority of players went with Steelers so I followed. Picked the consensus pick in every game and only got two wrong. I guess they're getting easier to pick.

I think the Raiders defense is really underrated and the Steelers have been so uneven this year. I was a bit incredulous that everyone favored the Steelers so heavily, sometimes Vegas just likes to make the line more interesting and pick em leagues follow suit. I usually go by the ESPN picks for teams I don't know well or when in doubt pick the home team.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

27. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2013, 07:51 xXBatmanXx

Pretty frustrating they haven't released an update for Batman Origins yet......can't finish the one tower.....  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

26. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2013, 01:42 Sepharo

TorchMaster wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 23:20:
I have to add my name to Verno and Mr. Tact as the Giants game was my only miss of the week.

Only Giants and Raiders for me.

I kind of wanted to pick the Raiders too. Based on them having the better record and being at home. But all three experts and the vast majority of players went with Steelers so I followed. Picked the consensus pick in every game and only got two wrong. I guess they're getting easier to pick.

25. Ugly Oct 28, 2013, 23:45 WarPig

Wow, my Seahawks didn't deserve that one but I'll take it. I was going to say that it looked like a pre-season game but they looked better than that in the pre-season.

GO SEAHAWKS!

24. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2013, 23:20 TorchMaster

I have to add my name to Verno and Mr. Tact as the Giants game was my only miss of the week.  

Victory needs no explanation; defeat allows none.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2013, 22:24 Cutter

Holy crap! It's actually 16 grams of sugar per 2 tablespoons!!! i generally read the labels all the time but I was just excited to see it and grabbed it. Oh well, back it goes. That's just nuckin' futs!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2013, 21:07 Redmask

Sepharo wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 19:54:
Cutter wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 17:55:
Hey, I was at my new grocery store and they Sweet Baby Ray's in stock so I picked up a jar of the original and 1 of the honey. Who was it that said it was really good again? Seph?

Yeah that was me, but it was through my family. I don't have very distinguishing tastes, Sweet Baby Ray's tastes like BBQ sauce to me. But they swear by it, as someone pointed out here it could just be because it has tons of sugar in it.

That was me and that stuff is gross, 14g of sugar in a single serving is nuts. Loading a whole slow cooker with it is something I won't attempt for fear of Diabetes later in life

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2013, 20:39 WarPig

Sepharo wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 16:10:
I'd like to say that I believed in the Lions and stayed the entire game but the truth is that we left with about 1:30 remaining. The Lions 2nd to last possession went:
1st - Stafford sacked for -8
2nd - Pass for 6
3rd - Incomplete
4th - Incomplete

My buddy had the aisle seat and is a rabid insane Lions fan, he stood up and started to leave so we did assuming if anyone had any remaining hope it would be him. We took the long trudge through the crowds out of the stadium. Walked a few blocks and got on the bus, rode the bus almost all the way back to the bar and suddenly everyone on the bus is going nuts because actually won. That remaining 1:30 must've went for over 10 minutes or we were making really good time on our escape.

Seph no! Now I understand why you're hanging your head in your avatar! Good win though - helped me go 11-1... booyah!!

GO SEAHAWKS!

20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2013, 20:09 Jivaro

Hey, I was at my new grocery store and they Sweet Baby Ray's in stock so I picked up a jar of the original and 1 of the honey. Who was it that said it was really good again? Seph?

One bottle of Sweet Baby Rays
One 12oz bottle of beer, preferably a pale ale of some quality. Can be whatever you want, but I find something like Sierra Nevada's pale ale to be good for cooking. I have also used a stout with success but it does kill some of the "sweet" in the sauce.
One package of 6 skinless/boneless chicken thighs
Toss it all in a crock pot on low for 6-8 hours depending on size of crock pot and size of chicken thighs. When it's done, separate the chicken from the sauce. Use a pair of forks to shred the meat. mix some of the sauce back in as desired. I call it my "Sweet and Stupid" pulled chicken. Sweet sauce, stupid easy.

I don't really see the "wow" of Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce for simple grilling, but used in the slow cooker like that it really comes to life. My opinion anyway. Obviously a brain dead easy recipe, which makes it very easy to play with and customize to your own tastes. I have also used Sweet Baby Rays as a glaze for both baked and grilled salmon. My family loves it, i would prefer something a bit less sweet.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2013, 19:54 Sepharo

Yeah that was me, but it was through my family. I don't have very distinguishing tastes, Sweet Baby Ray's tastes like BBQ sauce to me. But they swear by it, as someone pointed out here it could just be because it has tons of sugar in it.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2013, 18:48 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 15:30:
My money is on the Cubs!

Just not on bitcoins.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2013, 18:12 xXBatmanXx

It is what we use if we don't have any home made stuff.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2013, 17:55 Cutter

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2013, 16:13 Creston

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 15:30:
My money is on the Cubs!

You'd be better off just setting it on fire.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2013, 16:10 Sepharo

I'd like to say that I believed in the Lions and stayed the entire game but the truth is that we left with about 1:30 remaining. The Lions 2nd to last possession went:
1st - Stafford sacked for -8
2nd - Pass for 6
3rd - Incomplete
4th - Incomplete

My buddy had the aisle seat and is a rabid insane Lions fan, he stood up and started to leave so we did assuming if anyone had any remaining hope it would be him. We took the long trudge through the crowds out of the stadium. Walked a few blocks and got on the bus, rode the bus almost all the way back to the bar and suddenly everyone on the bus is going nuts because actually won. That remaining 1:30 must've went for over 10 minutes or we were making really good time on our escape.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2013, 15:39 Verno

Prez wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 13:55:
The notable thing about Lou Reed's death at 71 isn't that a music legend died; it's that Lou Fucking Reed actually made it to 71!!!! Walk on the wild side indeed! R.I.P. Lou.

Yeah agreed. Some idiot on the radio was talking about how Lou Reed was a cautionary tale about living too dangerously which gave me a WTF moment. Dude lived the equivalent of 5 lives and still made it to 71.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2013, 15:30 The Half Elf

My money is on the Cubs!  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2013, 14:54 Cutter

1badmf wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 09:58:
9-3 and i drop a spot. tough sledding in this rarified air X-D

Yeah, I'm 9-3 so far as well. Somehow I picked Tampa, dunno how the fuck that happened. Must have misclicked it or something. Lost on the Eagles and the Steelers though so that's fair play. Anyway, there were some damn good games yesterday regardless. The Lions and Packers games in particular.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2013, 14:00 nin

Prez wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 13:55:
The notable thing about Lou Reed's death at 71 isn't that a music legend died; it's that Lou Fucking Reed actually made it to 71!!!! Walk on the wild side indeed! R.I.P. Lou.

Had this exact discussion at lunch. Considering everything he was rumored to have done, 71 is pretty good. Still hate to see him go.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo