Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

WoW Connected Realms Update

The World of Warcraft website offers a "Connected Realms Update" with the status of Blizzard's efforts at addressing low-population realms in their MMORPG. They provide a list of newly connected realms and outline plans for two further batches of connections to be processed on Monday. Word is: "Plans for these connections may change at any time, but we’ll provide additional updates on specific dates for future connections here as we can. Please note that as a part of the connection process realm times may change to match each other."

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: WoW Connected Realms Update Oct 27, 2013, 20:22 Mr. Tact

I started 4 or 5 weeks after initial release and played through "Rage of the Firelands" in Cataclysm, stopped just before "Dragon Soul". Thought I might come back for MoP, but never did. Miss some of the people, but not the game. I agree I'd like another experience like it, but I don't think it's likely.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: WoW Connected Realms Update Oct 27, 2013, 12:17 NewMaxx

MonkeySpank wrote on Oct 26, 2013, 19:46:
I really wished someone would create a less competitive open and persistent world for everyone to enjoy.

I played WoW from vanilla until the first expansion. Before that, and after that, I pretty much dabbled with every MMO around. The ones I found the most "fun" in terms of what you seem to be looking for: Lord of the Rings Online, Guild Wars 2, and The Secret World. LOTRO had an awesome world...I just found the game too grindy near the end. GW2 was great for exploration but a bit basic in combat. TSW is challenging and has a great story, though.

LOTRO is F2P and check out. You can probably find a buddy with a tired GW2 account. As for TSW, I may have an extra account if that game looks interesting to you.

17. Re: WoW Connected Realms Update Oct 27, 2013, 11:35 Ant

Raiders are not like ants.
Unlike ants, the raiders you describe were invited by your guild leader or an officer...
I like to raid for food.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

16. Re: WoW Connected Realms Update Oct 27, 2013, 06:15 shihonage

These raider story arcs give me flashbacks to when I cofounded an Unreal Tournament clan in 2004. Soon after, the other 2 cofounders started accepting people of highly questionable character but who "aimed well".

The game stopped being fun when we started having mandatory in-game meetings to practice wall jumps and other shit. This is what I was afraid of all along - game becoming another job.

There was a lot of clan drama between us and competiting clans, due to everyone being, well, a child, or at least acting like it.

Then some of our little shitheads started using aimbots just to "experiment", and told me to stop overreacting, which is why I realized nobody was listening to me, the other admins didn't give me ban power, and so I quit that kindergarden once and for all.

15. Re: WoW Connected Realms Update Oct 26, 2013, 21:28 Nighthawk

Not to derail complete, but I dropped wow a while ago for SWTOR, like so many others, then it got dry VERY quickly, so I dropped that for more arcade play and into World of Tanks, then picked up Rift when it went F2P, and I've got to say it's a great substitution, F2P so you don't need to spend cash, and unlike SWTOR's nickle and dime model, you don't need to spend money to enjoy the game, its (for the most part) low importance extras that cost.

14. Re: WoW Connected Realms Update Oct 26, 2013, 19:47 Agent.X7

MonkeySpank wrote on Oct 26, 2013, 15:02:
Out of curiosity, did you guys quit WoW or MMOs in general. I have been coming in and out of WoW, and haven't really found a good MMO alternative. What I like about MMOs is the big open world. Grinding and raids, not so much. I am currently enjoying WoW, but mostly for lack of good alternatives.

any suggestions?

I quit WoW 4 months after Cata, by which time I had done every heroic dungeon multiple times, and even went on a raid or two. I was never a big raider, I just don't have the patience for that massive time sink. I tried to go back when Panda came out, but I never even played my full 30 days. I have started it up a couple times with 7 day trials they keep sending me, but I still haven't gotten very far in Panda land.

I play quite bit of Guild Wars 2 now. I love that I have no financial obligation to keep playing because there is no subscription. I finished the content and now I play when something new interests me, or not.

Otherwise I am waiting to see if EQNext is any good. I love MMOs, but I am SO burned out on the WoW clones.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

13. Re: WoW Connected Realms Update Oct 26, 2013, 19:46 MonkeySpank

Thank you all for your feedback on my WoW query. My understanding is that most people really enjoyed WoW at one time or another but repetition and lack of maintained innovation over time really killed the genre. I really wished someone would create a less competitive open and persistent world for everyone to enjoy. Alas, the me-too process that everyone has adopted is leaving us with mediocre alternatives.  

12. Re: WoW Connected Realms Update Oct 26, 2013, 19:18 nin

Hammer wrote on Oct 26, 2013, 16:34:
Played WoW 'til end of Cata ... Skyrim actually got me off of WoW.

While not trying to derail the thread, based on you icon, have you heard of this documentary? I need to order my copy...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

11. Re: WoW Connected Realms Update Oct 26, 2013, 17:02 Wallshadows

Redmask wrote on Oct 26, 2013, 16:18

You have no first hand knowledge of what happened and your assumptions are way off, I was encapsulating a year long process into a tiny text blurb. It happened slowly over time, there were social dynamics involved and as a more casual guild we weren't really prepared for it. Hindsight is always 20/20. [/quote:

Not everyone has the time to put in for raiding, I understand that, and when you mix raiders with casuals (not bad players), it means divisions within the guild which always leads to drama and then collapse. Our guild eliminates this issue by using a type of questionnaire which allows us to find out if a player compliments our style of play and have had no issue with removing toxic players regardless of their ability. Some would say that's a bit much but our guild has been together since the start of TBC which lends me to believe this system works if used.

That said, I think it's a little silly to say that raiders ruin everything just like it's a little silly to say casuals ruin everything.

10. Re: WoW Connected Realms Update Oct 26, 2013, 16:34 Hammer

Played WoW 'til end of Cata ... Skyrim actually got me off of WoW.  

9. Re: WoW Connected Realms Update Oct 26, 2013, 16:18 Redmask

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 26, 2013, 16:06:
They were practically handed the keys to the kingdom and were allowed to do as they wanted. Instead of removing them for disrupting your style of play, you let them destroy it. This isn't an issue with raiders, this is more of an issue with the guild you were in to give them so much control.

You have no first hand knowledge of what happened and your assumptions are way off, I was encapsulating a year long process into a tiny text blurb. It happened slowly over time, there were social dynamics involved and as a more casual guild we weren't really prepared for it. Hindsight is always 20/20.

8. Re: WoW Connected Realms Update Oct 26, 2013, 16:06 Wallshadows

Redmask wrote on Oct 26, 2013, 13:59:
Fucking raiders ruin everything.

Raiders are not like ants.
Unlike ants, the raiders you describe were invited by your guild leader or an officer.
Unlike ants, your guild allowed them to bring others of their type.
Unlike ants, your guild let them destroy what you built

They were practically handed the keys to the kingdom and were allowed to do as they wanted. Instead of removing them for disrupting your style of play, you let them destroy it. This isn't an issue with raiders, this is more of an issue with the guild you were in to give them so much control.

7. Re: WoW Connected Realms Update Oct 26, 2013, 15:51 Luke

Out of curiosity, did you guys quit WoW or MMOs in general. I have been coming in and out of WoW, and haven't really found a good MMO alternative. What I like about MMOs is the big open world. Grinding and raids, not so much. I am currently enjoying WoW, but mostly for lack of good alternatives.

any suggestions?

Welcome to Net7's Earth & Beyond Emulator, an online role-playing galaxy Book

6. Re: WoW Connected Realms Update Oct 26, 2013, 15:35 nin

any suggestions?

I quit wow after 4+ years. Got tired of the grind, and having to totally respec/relearn you class every few years. But like you, I love open world.

Several times I've tried to go back, and never last more than a few days. I look at it now, and things have changed so much, it's all foreign, and (once again) the idea of relearning everything over just doesn't appeal to me.

For it's time, it was awesome. I went from total noob to 9-12 hours a week raiding. But anymore, I just stick with single player. I miss the people (we keep in touch on bookface), but I don't miss the game, at all. And I don't like the huge time investment most MMOs encourage. When I get home from work and I'm tired, I don't want to feel like I HAVE TO login, to grind, to raid, to work the AH, to keep competitive, or to justify the $12-$15 a month I pay. My time is worth more to me than all of that, any more.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

5. Re: WoW Connected Realms Update Oct 26, 2013, 15:25 TheEmissary

any suggestions?

I still play MMOs but I mostly avoid the ones that are trying to verbatim copy the WOW/EQ style. Most of the MMOs out there feel like reskins or total conversions. I don't think we will see viable alternative until World of Warcraft player base starts to shrink more than it has. WoW commands a very similar affect that Call of Duty has with FPS games.

There quite a few games that aren't MMOs but good online games none the less. Lately I have enjoyed playing games like PlanetSide2 and ARPG/Diablo-esque games like Marvel Heroes and Path of Exile in short bursts.

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 2013, 15:31.

4. Re: WoW Connected Realms Update Oct 26, 2013, 15:02 MonkeySpank

any suggestions?

3. Re: WoW Connected Realms Update Oct 26, 2013, 14:51 TheEmissary

Redmask wrote on Oct 26, 2013, 13:59:
Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 26, 2013, 12:44:
Of course, I jumped ship a long time ago. My guild, which used to be all friends from CS and SWG, was overtaken with "pro" raiders dedicated to being on top. A buddy and I who didn't play that way left for a PVE server because getting ganked every 5 seconds was getting annoying. Now my poor characters languish on Exodar, ignored for lack of innovation in their game.

That's what happened to my guild. We were a loosely held group of friends and family members, we always had a blast even though we were crap at raiding. A few hardcore raiders got in and started recruiting their friends, most of whom turned their noses up at the original members. Then came the rules and scheduling for guild events, things they expected people to ignore real life shit for. Many of us stopped playing WoW because it wasn't fun anymore. Then the raiders got pissed and had no one left to blame for not getting server first kills or whatever bullshit they were jacking off to. They ended up killing the guild which had been running for 5 years previous.

I would like to say that is an isolated incident but I can't. I have seen this first hand several times. I have seen guilds that basically split in to an A and B/C teams over what you described. Others that just imploded as well. Its a shame there really isn't a healthy balance that allows you to enjoy the games content at its normal difficulty without being a massive time sink.

The Raid finder is interesting but you substitute structured intelligent play for a zerg swarm with little direction. It feels like if you want to play this game now you have to accept either extreme. It would be nice to play the game on a more sane pace.

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 2013, 15:17.

2. Re: WoW Connected Realms Update Oct 26, 2013, 13:59 Redmask

Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 26, 2013, 12:44:
Of course, I jumped ship a long time ago. My guild, which used to be all friends from CS and SWG, was overtaken with "pro" raiders dedicated to being on top. A buddy and I who didn't play that way left for a PVE server because getting ganked every 5 seconds was getting annoying. Now my poor characters languish on Exodar, ignored for lack of innovation in their game.

That's what happened to my guild. We were a loosely held group of friends and family members, we always had a blast even though we were crap at raiding. A few hardcore raiders got in and started recruiting their friends, most of whom turned their noses up at the original members. Then came the rules and scheduling for guild events, things they expected people to ignore real life shit for. Many of us stopped playing WoW because it wasn't fun anymore. Then the raiders got pissed and had no one left to blame for not getting server first kills or whatever bullshit they were jacking off to. They ended up killing the guild which had been running for 5 years previous.

1. Re: WoW Connected Realms Update Oct 26, 2013, 12:44 Agent.X7

Wow, they have to connect Mannaroth with another server? Back when my friends and I started out on Manno you couldn't get on without a queue. We competed and were in the top 5 for world firsts and unlocks, and we were a PVP server in a PVE dominated list. Sad to see that the population dropped so much that it needs to be connected with another server.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo