Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Mobilization

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 28, 2013, 09:32 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 26, 2013, 19:58:
Well, you are wrong, and your company is wasting money.

If he's so wrong how about explaining why and giving him a recommendation?

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 27, 2013, 18:08 DrSquick

Creston wrote on Oct 27, 2013, 02:04:
DrSquick wrote on Oct 26, 2013, 16:41:
How is $699(+$100 for the type keyboard) for an i5, 4GB ram, 1080P, SSD, touchscreen, stylus, x86/x64 laptop unreasonable?

I have been using a 128GB Surface Pro with a type keyboard as my only work computer since it came out, and I am plenty happy... I have a full-sized keyboard and mouse at my desk, and a nice monitor with a mini-DP to DVI converter. So I plug a mini-DP and the power in at the office, and I have the exact same dual-screen setup I used to have with a full-sized laptop.

The only time I ever use it as a "tablet" is when I need to take notes in meetings, I tear the keyboard off and use a pen with OneNote.

I suppose if people think of the Surface Pro as an iPad-wanabe, then yeah, I can see it is way overpriced. But as a primary-use laptop, I think it is priced great!

How's the graphics power in it? It's starting to get to a price range where I might be interested.

edit : nm, you answered that two posts later.

Yeah, not too great - if I recall it is Intel HD4000. It's not the worst graphics card for laptops, but it can't do any serious games for sure. I tried playing Guild Wars 2 on it when it first came out and we had our first baby, so I had to stay in the living room. It was passable, but 1 - it's a 10" 1080P screen ... So it's very hard to read text if you don't specifically boost the size of everything. Second, the keyboard is attached via a magnetic connection to the tablet, and that is very finicky while on your lap. So I would frequently completely lose keyboard connectivity if I shifted funny.

On the flip side, although of course I would never play games at work ( :-whistle-: ), it does run casual games like SimCity 4, Reus, Castle Crashers, and games like that just fine when it's on a desk.

If you are looking to game on a laptop, especially if it is going to be on your lap, I don't think I could recommend it. However, if you will be on a desk, and you can live with the HD4000 graphics, it is a great little machine. The Surface Pro 2 has Intel HD4400, but I have no concept of the speed difference.

22. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 27, 2013, 18:02 DrSquick

How is $699(+$100 for the type keyboard) for an i5, 4GB ram, 1080P, SSD, touchscreen, stylus, x86/x64 laptop unreasonable?

I have been using a 128GB Surface Pro with a type keyboard as my only work computer since it came out, and I am plenty happy... I have a full-sized keyboard and mouse at my desk, and a nice monitor with a mini-DP to DVI converter. So I plug a mini-DP and the power in at the office, and I have the exact same dual-screen setup I used to have with a full-sized laptop.

The only time I ever use it as a "tablet" is when I need to take notes in meetings, I tear the keyboard off and use a pen with OneNote.

I suppose if people think of the Surface Pro as an iPad-wanabe, then yeah, I can see it is way overpriced. But as a primary-use laptop, I think it is priced great!

I am not a fan of any one brand or another, and am very open to other options. The only requirement I have is it has to work with a stylus - I am in meetings for 10+ hours a week, and having 10+ years of meeting notes indexed in OneNote is fantastic. What would you recommend as a primary work computer that can use a stylus for hand-written note taking?

21. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 27, 2013, 05:39 Fibrocyte

You telling someone they're wrong only validates how right they are.

20. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 27, 2013, 03:37 Agent.X7

Dell's new Venue Pro 11 is priced cheaper than the original SP and you can spec it out to match the SP2. Something to consider. I'm probably going to get one because I have so much gift credit at Dell now it will only cost me a hundred or so.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

19. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 27, 2013, 03:07 Jivaro

If I was in the market for a productivity tablet or laptop right now there is no doubt in my mind that a Surface Pro would be one of the "top 3" I would scope out before making a purchase. It's a nice piece of tech and the only Microsoft anything I have been truly impressed with in a very long time.  

18. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 27, 2013, 02:04 Creston

How's the graphics power in it? It's starting to get to a price range where I might be interested.

edit : nm, you answered that two posts later.

17. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 26, 2013, 22:46 Steele Johnson

Exactly, people are thinking that these compare to sh!tty iPads. These are way more like laptop replacements! I use a Surface Pro 2 as my main work machine and I'll never go back to a laptop again. I just hook up a bigger monitor to the mini displayport (max res 3840 x 2160) and away I go. Being able to use both keyboard and touch interface is way more productive if you know what you're doing!

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2013, 20:47 Quboid

It looks like the laptop's screen is about the right width to be turned 90" into a portrait monitor. Actually physically arranging it isn't going to be pretty if it can't be disconnected from the damaged laptop body. Perhaps the body can hide behind your primary display.

One issue is that cheap LCD screens have lousy vertical view angles, which are much more relevant when it's turned 90░ - laptops tend to have cheap screens compared to stand-alone monitors but YMMV.

- Quboid

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2013, 20:00 Rigs

Quboid wrote on Oct 26, 2013, 18:30:
What height/resolution is your 22" screen and what width/resolution is your 15" monitor? Do they match?

I have a 1920x1200 27" monitor as my desktop's primary display and a 1280x1024 19" monitor for a secondary, rotated 90 degrees to portrait, i.e. 1024x1280. It's only a few pixels higher and very nearly the same physical height as my primary monitor, and is also roughly the size and shape of a standard A4 letter page, as seen in any PDF, which makes it useful for keeping an eye on reference material.

My 22" is a Samsung LCD monitor (SyncMaster 2253BW, 1680x1050) and the 15" screen is from a Compaq Presario C500 laptop (actually I have two of them, one dead the other in pieces, mostly working parts - screen on both is fine). Here's a picture of my monitor model sitting next to a laptop screen of roughly the same size. I would like to either take the laptop screen and make a convertible tablet with all the parts or an extra screen to compliment the 22"...I just don't know how to wire the laptop screen on it's own to work with any kind of video input, such as DVI or HDMI...

=-Rigs-=

'Who am I?...I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are EVER going to see. GOD sent me.'

14. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 26, 2013, 19:58 xXBatmanXx

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

13. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 26, 2013, 19:57 xXBatmanXx

Microsoft cuts Surface Pro prices by a further $100, now starting at $699

Still $400 to high.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

12. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 26, 2013, 18:55 Cutter

Well, as I'm going back into biz for myself I'd much rather go this route with the SP and it's detachable keyboard but yeah, that's still way too pricey considering you can get good laptops for half the price.
I'd actually really like one, but not at that price and the fact that no one else is buying them at that price seems that they agree as well.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2013, 18:30 Quboid

What height/resolution is your 22" screen and what width/resolution is your 15" monitor? Do they match?

I have a 1920x1200 27" monitor as my desktop's primary display and a 1280x1024 19" monitor for a secondary, rotated 90 degrees to portrait, i.e. 1024x1280. It's only a few pixels higher and very nearly the same physical height as my primary monitor, and is also roughly the size and shape of a standard A4 letter page, as seen in any PDF, which makes it useful for keeping an eye on reference material.

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 2013, 18:37.

- Quboid

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2013, 17:14 Rigs

This isn't exactly on-topic but I'm kinda at a standstill so I'll ask anyway...I have a laptop screen from a laptop that no longer works (bad motherboard). I would like to find something useful to do with the screen. It's a 15 inch beauty and it would be a real shame to let it go to waste. I also have another laptop that's in pieces but able to eventually work, so I was thinking maybe I could turn it into something like a 'Poor Man's Tablet' with the running laptop and the screen turned around. I know it's not touch-enabled but at least it could be used with a mouse. It would look like one of those 'convertible' laptops. Or, I could use it as a second, smaller screen for my desktop system, like having a tablet to compliment my 22-inch flatscreen...Just curious what you guys think or if anyone knows any links on how to build something like that...

=-Rigs-=

'Who am I?...I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are EVER going to see. GOD sent me.'

9. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 26, 2013, 17:13 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Oct 26, 2013, 14:32:
Microsoft cuts Surface Pro prices by a further $100, now starting at $699.

OUCH.
Eh, not so much. With the Pro 2 being out, the Pro 1 is pretty much done for. This is Microsoft cutting the price to help clear out the old Pro 1 inventory.

8. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 26, 2013, 16:54 DrSquick

Redmask wrote on Oct 26, 2013, 16:43:
Most of the people here are gamers and the Surface Pro is a pretty poor gaming device. If all you want to do is business productivity stuff there are countless solutions already, I'm not personally convinced the Surface Pro is a game changer in that regard but if other people are then whatever.

Good point, I've tried basic gaming on the SP, and it stinks, and gets crazy hot. And the type keyboard is definitely not suitable for gaming. And definitely not game changing... I've used the HP stylus Elitebooks for manymany years, and this is basically just a smaller and lighter version.

7. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 26, 2013, 16:43 Redmask

Most of the people here are gamers and the Surface Pro is a pretty poor gaming device. If all you want to do is business productivity stuff there are countless solutions already, I'm not personally convinced the Surface Pro is a game changer in that regard but if other people are then whatever.  

6. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 26, 2013, 16:41 DrSquick

5. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 26, 2013, 15:59 Raptor

Seeing all the people with pads has made me want one, but I always hated the fact that they are basically toys (toilet readers)

The Surface Pro and hopefully some other pads with full working Windows 8's on them however would actually be useful.

It's a shame the Surface Pro 2 costs the same as a proper laptop.

The price is not heavy if you consider it a small and powerful laptop, but I wish it was cheaper.

I would like to replace my laptop for it, for sure.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo