Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham Origins

The Batman: Arkham Origins website reflects the news that the new Batman stealth/action prequel is now available worldwide in retail stores and via digital distribution. Here's the rundown on the game from its Steam page:

Batman™: Arkham Origins is the next installment in the blockbuster Batman: Arkham videogame franchise. Developed by WB Games Montréal, the game features an expanded Gotham City and introduces an original prequel storyline set several years before the events of Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City, the first two critically acclaimed games of the franchise. Taking place before the rise of Gotham City’s most dangerous criminals, the game showcases a young and unrefined Batman as he faces a defining moment in his early career as a crime fighter that sets his path to becoming the Dark Knight.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham Origins Oct 27, 2013, 20:17 DarkCntry

Quinn wrote on Oct 27, 2013, 18:37:
Other than the slight lack of polish (do note that we're comparing it to 2 games that were freakishly perfect), though, this game is a blast. I'm enjoying it allot and I really get this big city christmas vibe when I'm gliding through Gotham.

What I don't really dig are the skill trees. They are kinda based on achievements, as you can only progress in each tree by performing the achievement asked of you one achievement at a time. Can anyone tell me WHAT THE HELL a preditor encounter is? I cannot progress in the Predator/Stealth tree because I need to complete a "predator encounter without being seen". I'm certain I've achieved that about 6 or 7 times already. It seems I'm stuck on the third step of the Predator progression.

The Predator Encounters are those during major areas (think interiors) where you're given the best opportunities to be full stealth. To use the previous games, anytime you saw a gargoyle you could climb on inside indicated a Predator Encounter-allowed area.

I agree, though, gating some of the more useful skills behind them are not a good way to do things.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham Origins Oct 27, 2013, 18:37 Quinn

Other than the slight lack of polish (do note that we're comparing it to 2 games that were freakishly perfect), though, this game is a blast. I'm enjoying it allot and I really get this big city christmas vibe when I'm gliding through Gotham.

What I don't really dig are the skill trees. They are kinda based on achievements, as you can only progress in each tree by performing the achievement asked of you one achievement at a time. Can anyone tell me WHAT THE HELL a preditor encounter is? I cannot progress in the Predator/Stealth tree because I need to complete a "predator encounter without being seen". I'm certain I've achieved that about 6 or 7 times already. It seems I'm stuck on the third step of the Predator progression.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham Origins Oct 27, 2013, 17:46 Jerykk

Yeah, that Burnley Comms Tower bug is pretty bad. No idea how that got past QA, as it is most likely a level design issue (broken/missing trigger) and therefore present in every version of the game. Luckily, restarting from a checkpoint gets you out of the room but still, that bug should have never made it through submission.  

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham Origins Oct 25, 2013, 19:00 Quinn

You'd think that hiring a small team of about 20 people with 20 different rig set-ups playing the game from start to finish on their own rig would be enough for a proper spotting and sweeping of gamekilling bugs like that?

Seriously! I don't get it!

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham Origins Oct 25, 2013, 18:13 Lorcin

Got done by the Burnley comm tower too. Oh and one after the deathstroke fight where none of the doors opened.

Somebody better call up Patchman to save the day.

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham Origins Oct 25, 2013, 18:09 Alamar

LurkerLito wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 11:33:
It's good, I have played it for about an hour or so last night but I ran into bugs. Gameplay wise, it's the same as the previous two, and graphically it's about the same also. But it seems a bit less polished IMHO. I played both AA and AC without running into a single issue. This one I ran into an issue about an hour in. One where I got into a room and there was no way out (had to restart from checkpoint). Technically, there is a way out, but the game just won't let you get into the vent. And another where 2 thugs on a roof were buried in the snow. One up to his shoulders and one up to his forehead. You can't hit them either, but I did get to hit the one buried up to his shoulders with a manually aimed batarang.

Burnley Comms Tower... Just got hit by this too... How does something this obvious pass QA?

I'm also finding the controls awkward... But I'm hoping I can adjust.

-Alamar

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham Origins Oct 25, 2013, 14:42 Quinn

My Batty is still patiently waiting in his bat cave. Had to work all day and do some social time at the parents in law...

What I found remarkable in the footage seen is that they seem to have done away with the dark look. Although I've read Batman himself is nuch darker than you'd expect, the city looks very snowy white. Batman himself looks much more.. bulky. His bat "ears" are shorter and he looks more like a tough dwarf overall. Dunno if I will dig the look. I'd go for the Arkham Asylum/City Batman skin whenever I could!

Writing empty words here.. I know, as I'm defiling my parents in law's toilet -_- Just cant wait to play!

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham Origins Oct 25, 2013, 12:53 DarkCntry

Without getting into spoiler-mode, I just finished the Copperhead portion of the game...minus a few graphical glitches (hello Croc's head through a wall) and a small bit of graphical slowdown, the game has been pretty smooth.

It plays almost exactly like Arkham City did, seeing as it is effectively the exact same map used. The one thing I don't really care for right now is the leveling up is now tree-based and not 'pick what you want'. Granted, most of the stuff that everyone gets is unlocked automatically, I just don't like being forced down a specific path to reach the stuff I want.

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham Origins Oct 25, 2013, 12:01 Beamer

Almost bought it last night, until I saw that the reviews were embargoed until launch. Someone said that the first game was the same way (I think I vaguely recall that), but it was enough to make me decide to wait until the price dropped.

I have enough to play until this hits $30 or so.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham Origins Oct 25, 2013, 11:36 Tumbler

79 on meta critic. I'll pass. I just spent $60 on an avenger (SC), no money for batman but I got a sweet ass space ship I can look at and sit in. It'll fly one day... Hopefully.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham Origins Oct 25, 2013, 11:33 LurkerLito

It's good, I have played it for about an hour or so last night but I ran into bugs. Gameplay wise, it's the same as the previous two, and graphically it's about the same also. But it seems a bit less polished IMHO. I played both AA and AC without running into a single issue. This one I ran into an issue about an hour in. One where I got into a room and there was no way out (had to restart from checkpoint). Technically, there is a way out, but the game just won't let you get into the vent. And another where 2 thugs on a roof were buried in the snow. One up to his shoulders and one up to his forehead. You can't hit them either, but I did get to hit the one buried up to his shoulders with a manually aimed batarang.  

5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham Origins Oct 25, 2013, 11:30 Cutter

Yeah, I think the lack of Rocksteady doing this means wait and see for a lot of us.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham Origins Oct 25, 2013, 11:09 Caladell

Techie714 © wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 10:46:
The first two games were fantastic, so i'm hoping this one would be just as good.

Hope so, but this one isn't made by Rocksteady. So for me, it'll be a 'wait and see'.
In other Batman news though, my Arkham City key finally works on Steam. Woo Hoo!

3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham Origins Oct 25, 2013, 10:46 Techie714 ©

The first two games were fantastic, so i'm hoping this one would be just as good.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham Origins Oct 25, 2013, 10:12 JoeNapalm

Too many games I want to play are coming out at the same time...

...and it's only October.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham Origins Oct 25, 2013, 09:56 Alamar

Played about 90m last night, and am enjoying it so far... Can't compare to the previous two though.

Seems to be 'open world', or at least 'open city', so like many other games; you have a city map, and stuff happening. Purposefully vague to avoid spoilage, and not sure how much of this is from the previous game, or others in the genre.

-Alamar

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo