Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Witcher Sells 6M Units

The CD Projekt RED blog (thanks Eurogamer) announces that The Witcher protagonist Geralt of Rivia is now six years old (sporting an impressive head of white hair for a youngster). They mark the occasion by announcing that The Witcher series of RPGs has now sold over six million units:

Six years have passed since we’ve embarked on the magical journey of bringing one of the most unique and recognizable fantasy worlds into the realm of video gaming. We’ve started with a dream and a few rough ideas and today we’re on the forefront of the next generation of role playing games.

The continued support of gamers worldwide has been one of the keys to our success and a reason we have such a strong foundation to build from. We’d like to announce that six million copies of The Witcher games have been sold up to this day and our community is growing into one of the strongest RPG fandoms in the world. It is because of your dedication and constant involvement that the Xbox 360® version of The Witcher 2 has achieved “Classics” status in Europe and we are able to grow as a developer and bring you games that we hope will stay with you for years.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: The Witcher Sells 6M Units Oct 25, 2013, 22:53 DrEvil

jdreyer wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 14:51:
Even if a lot of those copies were at $5 or $10, that's still a lot of cash. Good for them, they deserve it.

Also, Witcher 3 looks amazing.

There's a hidden message in the trailer that flys by quickly at 1m41s; I transcribed it (didn't take more than a few moments):

Dear Gamers,

Once again, we're here with a sneaky hidden message! We couldn't resist doing something crazy on such a big occasion! :-) We're uber-excited to be a part of this groundbreaking moment in gaming history!

The CD Projekt RED rep you saw on stage was both anxious and excited - after you see this message, let him know that he was great by tweeting us @witchergame and using the #e3witcher hashtag

Today, you got your first glimpse of gameplay footage from TW3. Though no developer was harmed during the making of this video, we did work ourselves to the bone and put a LOT of heart into making all this happen. There's still a long road ahead and your feedback, comments and love are needed to fuel our passion so that we can make The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt a really great game. Head on over to our forums, hell, send us letters if you want to - just be with us! We need you

The Debut Gameplay Trailer contains some hints about new game mechanics we'll be introducing in The Witcher 3. Manage to spot them? Go to the forums, there's probably many a discussion about them by now

By the way, notice the 4 CGI takes in the trailer? Yeah, they're part of something bigger. Curious? Try here: www.thewitcher.com/KillingMonsters

We released another video today: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - The Beginning, in which team members introduce you to the game, share a lot of their passion and give insight on some of the things that inspire us. Some breathtaking vistas and vivid landscapes in there - try to guess where we shot it.

Thank you for your support so far! Play video games, they're awesome!

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Dev Team

CD Projekt RED

P.S.: Hell yeah!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: The Witcher Sells 6M Units Oct 25, 2013, 18:13 xXBatmanXx

Still haven't finished W1 or W2....didn't finish TW1 and haven't started TW2. Still haven't finished any Fallout (very close on 2 of them) game. hahahahaha.....

.....ooooh look a butterfly!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

17. Re: The Witcher Sells 6M Units Oct 25, 2013, 16:44 RaZ0r!

Techie714 © wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 10:48:
The Witcher to me is one of those classic RPG's I put up there with Icewind Dale,BG,& the Fallout games. It's one of the classics for sure.

I fully agree. Classics for sure in my book.

16. Re: The Witcher Sells 6M Units Oct 25, 2013, 15:56 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 14:51:
Even if a lot of those copies were at $5 or $10, that's still a lot of cash. Good for them, they deserve it.

That looks amazing, like Oblivion for adults. They claim (1:17) that "the concept of choice will take on new meaning". I dare say there's some exaggeration there, but unlike most studios I expect there's something behind that.

- Quboid

15. Re: The Witcher Sells 6M Units Oct 25, 2013, 15:11 Cutter

I'm glad for them but count me in as neither game did it for me and I quit both probably halfway through and never went back.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14. Re: The Witcher Sells 6M Units Oct 25, 2013, 14:51 jdreyer

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

13. Re: The Witcher Sells 6M Units Oct 25, 2013, 14:28 netnerd85

I uninstalled that today to save some space... played about 30-45 mins of it? on to the sequel!  

12. Re: The Witcher Sells 6M Units Oct 25, 2013, 13:56 Optional Nickname!

CDPR has not only given RPGs of exceptional content to us, as good game developers do, but created a thriving marketplace for gaming and gamers utterly free of the DRM poisoned on-line 'gaming experience' that the gibberlings so want you to think that you deserve.

CDPR should be commended for The Witcher (1st run and still going for me) but should also be recognized for the complete success of GOG.

11. Re: The Witcher Sells 6M Units Oct 25, 2013, 13:03 ElectricTurtle

Hm I wonder if they counted the promotional giveaways as 'sales' since GOG recently offered The Witcher free with any purchase.

I had intermittently watched some 'let's plays' of The Witcher while my wife was spectating the whole game arc (which is all she ever does... watch other people play games like they're movies), and so I was somewhat interested in actually playing the game, but the combat system was rather disappointing to me. The 'click when the game tells you to click' method just seemed too lame. I don't know, I'd recently gone through Jade Empire and really enjoyed both the setting and system, and I was hoping since The Witcher used a BioWare engine that it would play more like a BioWare game ...

Good storytelling to be sure, but I think I enjoyed watching other people play it than actually playing it.

10. Re: The Witcher Sells 6M Units Oct 25, 2013, 12:26 Quboid

There was just so much walking in TW1, I liked what I saw but got bored too quickly. I'd forgotten I owned TW2 until now. Having recently given up on Dear Esther (before my W key gave up on me), I guess I've no more patience these days.  

- Quboid

9. Re: The Witcher Sells 6M Units Oct 25, 2013, 12:11 Techie714 ©

WaltC wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 11:40:
CDPR is a great company, I think. All the more so because they've managed so far to hold onto their principles in this dog-eat-dog world..;) They've consistently delivered, long after the initial sale, massive improvements to all of their PC properties that have been free of charge, amazingly. Most other companies either create expensive, overpriced DLC (or just silly DLC) for their shipped products, or else they simply cease all development on their shipped titles and move on. Not CDPR--they keep improving their shipped properties until they get them "right" according to their own internal standards--at no cost to their customers--and only then do they walk away from their titles. I believe as well that CDPR is the engine behind Gog.com--another terrific service.

BEST Post of the week! Well said good sir!

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

8. Re: The Witcher Sells 6M Units Oct 25, 2013, 11:44 Dagnamit

I'm with the first posters here. I bought W2 and have played the first chapter a dozen times and can't get into it even when I crank the difficulty to easy to keep it moving.  

7. Re: The Witcher Sells 6M Units Oct 25, 2013, 11:40 WaltC

CDPR is a great company, I think. All the more so because they've managed so far to hold onto their principles in this dog-eat-dog world..;) They've consistently delivered, long after the initial sale, massive improvements to all of their PC properties that have been free of charge, amazingly. Most other companies either create expensive, overpriced DLC (or just silly DLC) for their shipped products, or else they simply cease all development on their shipped titles and move on. Not CDPR--they keep improving their shipped properties until they get them "right" according to their own internal standards--at no cost to their customers--and only then do they walk away from their titles. I believe as well that CDPR is the engine behind Gog.com--another terrific service.  

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

6. Re: The Witcher Sells 6M Units Oct 25, 2013, 11:22 Creston

Congrats CD Projekt! Here's hoping Witcher 3 will blow everything away.  

5. Re: The Witcher Sells 6M Units Oct 25, 2013, 10:48 Techie714 ©

The Witcher to me is one of those classic RPG's I put up there with Icewind Dale,BG,& the Fallout games. It's one of the classics for sure.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

4. Re: The Witcher Sells 6M Units Oct 25, 2013, 10:29 InBlack

JoeNapalm wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 10:09:
You're not alone.

I've probably played the first chapter six times in those six years. I think I have to get further, to get to what everyone seems to think is "the awesome" but...the thing of it is, if the first chapter of a book doesn't strike my fancy, I toss it...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Im kind of hoping that new super secret project from CD Project (non witcher related) is going to be all awesomnes and no tediousness.

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: The Witcher Sells 6M Units Oct 25, 2013, 10:09 JoeNapalm

You're not alone.

I've probably played the first chapter six times in those six years. I think I have to get further, to get to what everyone seems to think is "the awesome" but...the thing of it is, if the first chapter of a book doesn't strike my fancy, I toss it...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

2. Re: The Witcher Sells 6M Units Oct 25, 2013, 10:08 MoonSpook

InBlack wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 09:46:
I guess this is good news, although I never really could get into the game and did not really like the Witcher as much as every else seemed to.

Me either. I picked it up last year in a Steam sale, and although I quite like the world, it all felt a bit constrained to me. That said, I'd probably try TW2 since it's combat system is quite different.

1. Re: The Witcher Sells 6M Units Oct 25, 2013, 09:46 InBlack

I guess this is good news, although I never really could get into the game and did not really like the Witcher as much as every else seemed to.  

I have a nifty blue line!

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo