Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Safety Dance

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 25, 2013, 22:15 Veterator

I couldn't point to any training or degree that would set you up for cyber security positions. I know it uses aspects of various fields, but none of them seem to specialize in it.

So, I always figured they got their people from military backgrounds where they were taught how to break into and protect against it. Or hired people who got caught doing illegal things in the past, that now would land you in much hotter water since all of the law changes, etc.

As a young person in the US, I wouldn't even be remotely tempted to try any of it on my own, because there's the potential of you doing something that breaks one of these "new" laws for bypassing DRM/whatever that have cropped up over the last decade.

Not only do you have to know your stuff, you also have to be covered on the law side of whatever you may be asked to do. IE, they ask you to break into the company server (the company you work for), and something goes wrong with a 3rd party product that causes data loss. Even if you could prove the third party product caused the issue, they could potentially throw it back at you as misuse/circumvention and prevent you from even talking about it.

And then you have the potential of having the very company who asked you to do this stuff turning around and crying foul if something breaks. So you have to get everything in writing from someone who you are sure has the authority to permit it.

And nothing about any of it seems even remotely interesting nor creative. Mostly that's just general with IT, it's seen as a "cost" in every company ever. So the only time they notice you is when they want to cut your budget more or something fucks up either due to you screwing up or them cutting your budget...either way it's still your fault. And I can't think of too many people who'd want to tolerate that for long, when you could potentially take your skills and end up making more money in another aspect of tech.

If they were really serious about it, they'd pay you to go to school and get trained in the field. Work you while you get trained/schooled so you can put them to use. Then have you sign a 3-5 year contract upon completion of your degree to recoup their costs and try to entice you to stay longer. You know..by not shitting all over you like they have every other IT guy....so now they can't get them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 25, 2013, 18:09 Julio

As someone who doesn't work in IT, my impression is if the IT job can be outsourced it will be. So why get in that field at all?  

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 25, 2013, 18:05 Trashy

Harlequin wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 12:29:
Several years ago I dropped Xoops (A PHP based CMS) and switched my community site to DNN (.aspx based CMS). At the time the Xoops people on the forum were all over me stating 'hope you enjoy your site being hacked' and such. How many times I have been hacked since running my site since 2008 under DNN? Zero. How many PHP based sited been compromised? See above plus other security sites. I love being validated.

PHP or any server side language is only as secure as the person that writes it. Most exploits are done via form injection, which the Language the server side code is using isn't necessarily the issue. This could allow access to the database.. Since most PHP sites are one of the normal top 5 CMS systems it's easy for people to exploit them. In this case If you read the article the exploit was caused via the git repository that hosted the website source code. it was most likely hacked through some command line git utility not the web interface.

3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 25, 2013, 12:41 Creston

Cutter wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 11:39:
Doncha just love these 'XYZ industry is hiring and pays well' bullshit articles? Right up there with the lie of 'labour shortages'.

To be fair, 'cyber'security is a fucking miserable field to work in. While it's true for just about all of IT that you "never stop learning", it's like ten times more true for security. You constantly have to stay on top of the latest threats in hacking/malware/viruses etc. Our security guy says he spends about 3 to 4 hours a day just reading up on the latest alerts and what to do about them. Admittedly he does that during work, but that's still a lot of studying that you have to do.

And of course, when you do your job right, nobody notices, but if you ever have one thing slip through (out of like 10000), your ass immediately gets grilled for "not doing your job."

He makes pretty good money, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to do it.

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 25, 2013, 12:29 Harlequin

Several years ago I dropped Xoops (A PHP based CMS) and switched my community site to DNN (.aspx based CMS). At the time the Xoops people on the forum were all over me stating 'hope you enjoy your site being hacked' and such. How many times I have been hacked since running my site since 2008 under DNN? Zero. How many PHP based sited been compromised? See above plus other security sites. I love being validated.  

1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 25, 2013, 11:39 Cutter

Doncha just love these 'XYZ industry is hiring and pays well' bullshit articles? Right up there with the lie of 'labour shortages'.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo