Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Legal Briefs

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 26, 2013, 17:16 JSP

What do you expect from those cartels and brokers in high society Korea, they had similar racketeering scheme set up in their national and military intelligence services to bait and influence their presidential elections last year. Bunch of thieves and corrupt liars.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Into the Black Oct 26, 2013, 15:20 jdreyer

We had a rash of deaths. So they made it more strict for both drivers and peds.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

13. Re: Into the Black Oct 26, 2013, 13:33 nin

jdreyer wrote on Oct 26, 2013, 05:18:
nin wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 23:10:
NegaDeath wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 21:13:
Necrophob wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 14:04:
Interesting. And how do you feel about the lethal injection for jay walkers?

Too expensive. Just make it legal to hit jaywalkers with your car, the problem will take care of itself.

Bad-da-dum

I would totally be down with that. I work in a heavy traffic area, and people just cross wherever the fuck they feel like. And every once in awhile, one of them gets hit, because of it. Sadly, it doesn't deter the rest...

Where I live, they made jaywalking a $100 fine. They nabbed a bunch of people when the law first passed a few years ago, but I haven't heard anything since then.

Ours is the exact opposite, I believe. In the last few years I think they passed a law that basically said that no matter where a person crosses the street, crosswalk or no, the car is supposed to yield. I think it's a bullshit law, frankly, and only encourages bad behavior from pedestrians. ("I have the right of wayyyyy!")

Crosswalks are there for a reason, obviously. I would love it if jaywalking were ever cracked down on here, but I doubt it will be, especially with that new law on the books.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12. Re: Into the Black Oct 26, 2013, 05:18 jdreyer

nin wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 23:10:

Too expensive. Just make it legal to hit jaywalkers with your car, the problem will take care of itself.

Bad-da-dum

I would totally be down with that. I work in a heavy traffic area, and people just cross wherever the fuck they feel like. And every once in awhile, one of them gets hit, because of it. Sadly, it doesn't deter the rest...

Where I live, they made jaywalking a $100 fine. They nabbed a bunch of people when the law first passed a few years ago, but I haven't heard anything since then.

11. Re: Into the Black Oct 25, 2013, 23:10 nin

Bad-da-dum

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

10. Re: Into the Black Oct 25, 2013, 21:13 NegaDeath

Bad-da-dum

9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 25, 2013, 15:45 Cutter

A) They were engaging in fraud. That's the law they broke.

B) The fact there were multiple people involved in this makes it a racketeering offense too.

B) Someone somewhere gave the go ahead on this. So they should be the one to go to jail. And seeing as it's actually racketeering than multiple people should be going to jail.

Suits always love to drone on about how corporations are people and have rights, well I'll accept that when they start going to prison - more specifically, the people directing that person.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 25, 2013, 15:26 Beamer

You get fines for things other than breaking the law. This wasn't a criminal fine.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 25, 2013, 15:10 Prez

Abandonware is legally defined as "Whatever you want it to mean, dude. We're all transitory beings passing through an indifferent universe. All that you experience and invest meaning into will be free from your delusional sense of ownership in eighty years. Get that Full Throttle. Get it and enjoy it."

LOL!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 25, 2013, 15:06 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 11:41:
340k fine? Wow, what's it take them globally to recoup that? 5 minutes? How about a 300 million dollar fine and send some suits to jail?

Fortunately for jay walkers everywhere, pharmaceutical companies are refusing to sell the drugs required for lethal injection to prisons. It's interesting that the death penalty is being prevented in this way.

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 25, 2013, 14:04 Necrophob

340k fine? Wow, what's it take them globally to recoup that? 5 minutes? How about a 300 million dollar fine and send some suits to jail?

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 25, 2013, 13:23 jdreyer

Lavabit encryption key ruling threatens Internet privacy, EFF argues.

I still can't believe it was approved that he could be compelled to hand of the primary SSL key so that they could access every single user on the system. That's got to be unconstitutional.

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 25, 2013, 13:12 jdreyer

@Beam,

1. Well, apparently it's against the law in Taiwan, thus the fine. Don't know what the penalties are.

2. I would say this is probably the norm with large corporations, and it's uncharted territory. A couple of examples I noticed yesterday:

First, it turns out Fox News would hire bloggers to counter negative comments on websites, going so far as to using used laptops that connected to the internet via independently purchased 3G accounts so it couldn't be tracked back to Fox.

Second, I went to Anandtech yesterday to read their review of the new AMD 290X. Apparently someone at AMD was waiting with a comment to post once the story went live, and did so immediately in order to get the first comment on the review:

Incredible performance and value from AMD!

The fastest single chip video card in the world. Overall it is faster than the nvidia Titan and only $549! Almost half the price!

Truly great to see the best performance around at a cost that is not bending you over. Battlefield 4 with AMD Mantle just around the corner. These new 290X GPUs are going to be uncontested Kings of the Hill for the Battlefield 4 game. Free battlefield game with the 290X too.Must buy.

Incredible!

Very annoying and dishonest. I'm not sure what exactly can be done about it as I'm not familiar with this kind of law, but this has to be some kind of fraud at the very least.

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 25, 2013, 11:56 Beamer

Four problems with that:
1) What law did they break? Being total asses isn't illegal
2) How do you even prove they were aware of it? Even the fining organization admits that a third party did this, so it's difficult to prove Samsung ok'd this. The Android store is currently full of fake reviews for BBM, of a wide range of scores, that BlackBerry almost definitely had nothing to do with, would they go to jail?
3) Who do you send to jail? Again, it's hard to prove Samsung wanted this and didn't just hire an ad agency that overextended itself. Even assuming it was done in-company, do you send the guy that literally went only and posted, who is likely a 22 year old out of college?? Do you send his boss, who is probably still only in his 20s and making maybe $50k? Do you send his boss' boss, who likely never even met the guy that did it, never authorized this, was never part of the decision making process, and would be incredibly inefficient to make him have to be a part of this process every time (but he'd need to be if it warranted criminal charges)? Do you send the CEO, who has no way of being aware of any of this? In any case, if someone you met doing something so simple is a cause for jail time then pay will certainly jump even higher for people to take on that responsibility
4) Where do you draw the line? Say a Samsung warehouse employee in France is posting his review of the Galaxy S4, a phone he just bought with his own money and has absolutely nothing to do with. Is that considered astroturfing? He works for the company and certainly is more lenient than others, but has no stake, no authority, etc.

Astroturfing is pretty much scum, but it's rarely actually authorized, not criminal, and sending someone to jail requires either figuring out who is responsible (costly and time consuming - certainly something the government does not have resources for) or sending someone that is high up and had absolutely nothing to do with this and no true way to prevent it (which would require paying people significant amounts of money to take on that risk.)
While astroturfing is shitty, who really gets hurt enough to send someone to jail? Does anyone here think they've ever bought a product due to astroturfing? Has anyone been swayed? Can anyone point to a time anyone they knew bought a product they didn't like due to astroturfing? I'd wager Billie Mays was responsible for infinitely more regretted purchases, and no one sent him to jail.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 25, 2013, 11:41 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo