Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The coffee we make at home is from Starbucks beans we get at the big-box store in 2 pound bags, and presumably to encourage recycling, Starbucks promises a free cup of coffee if you return the empty bag to the store. So in spite of not having much occasion to use them, we save them, and they have piled up to the extent that MrsBlue finally declared we were just dropping the whole pile of them off at the store to be done with it. I objected strongly on principle, as it seems silly to forego freebies, but she pointed out that a bunch of them have already expired, and I couldn't argue that this didn't demonstrate that these were going to waste anyway. But when we showed up at Starbucks, the person at the counter actually looked aghast when we offered this large bag of empties. She said if we dropped off the whole pile they would just be thrown in the garbage, and she wouldn't even take two bags in exchange for our coffees. So we got our free coffee, and walked out with exactly the same number of bags as we walked in with (and the impression that our sack of empty bags entitles us to Cosmo Kramer-style free coffees for life). The married men among you know what I mean when I say it's hard to eek out even a small win an argument like this with one's wife, but a resounding victory like this is pretty unprecedented.

Venti Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Roly-Poly Cannon: Bloody Monsters Pack 2.
Jack Lantern Games.
Links: 15 Signs That You Are Obsessed With Your Dog. Guilty.
Stories: Nuclear officers napped with blast door left open. Thanks Slashdot.
Media: GTA Clone Gameplay and Commentary.NSFW.
I towed Joey Graceffa's car. Thanks nin.
Shake It!
Follow-up: Man who confessed to drunk driving death on YouTube sentenced. Thanks nin.

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 25, 2013, 15:18 Agent.X7

Blue wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 09:48:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 16:50:
So then what is the point of the bags and "recycling" if they just get thrown in the garbage. I won't even go into the comments about drinking that squirrel piss coffee. I thought you burred your own.

We do grind our own, the Starbucks bags are for French Roast whole beans. To my tastes they result in an excellent cup of coffee.

Ditto

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: OMG OMG OMG OMG YOU GUYS Oct 25, 2013, 13:35 nin

Creston wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 12:51:
nin wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 08:41:
I call that "The George Lucas Principle". Cause if it made money it must be good, right?

Also, I'd like to once again plug the movie The People vs. George Lucas. Riot of a documentary, and perfectly outlines why so many people are pissed at him.

As far as DX, I keep hoping Squee will hurry up and issue a damn patch...I'd seen the registry settings over the last few days, but haven't tried them myself.

They work fine, and take about 5 seconds to do. No need to wait for a patch.

If it worked for everyone, I could see trying it. But apparently it doesn't...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

48. Re: OMG OMG OMG OMG YOU GUYS Oct 25, 2013, 12:51 Creston

nin wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 08:41:
I call that "The George Lucas Principle". Cause if it made money it must be good, right?

Also, I'd like to once again plug the movie The People vs. George Lucas. Riot of a documentary, and perfectly outlines why so many people are pissed at him.

As far as DX, I keep hoping Squee will hurry up and issue a damn patch...I'd seen the registry settings over the last few days, but haven't tried them myself.

They work fine, and take about 5 seconds to do. No need to wait for a patch.

47. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 25, 2013, 09:48  Blue 

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 16:50:
So then what is the point of the bags and "recycling" if they just get thrown in the garbage. I won't even go into the comments about drinking that squirrel piss coffee. I thought you burred your own.

We do grind our own, the Starbucks bags are for French Roast whole beans. To my tastes they result in an excellent cup of coffee.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

46. Re: OMG OMG OMG OMG YOU GUYS Oct 25, 2013, 08:41 nin

45. Re: OMG OMG OMG OMG YOU GUYS Oct 25, 2013, 01:27 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 23:13:
Ep 1 has some good moments, like the pod race and the fight with Maul. Otherwise, the bad out weighs the good by a lot... Wall2

"Are you an angel?"

The sad thing is that Lucas genuinely doesn't understand why people didn't like it.

44. Deus Ex Director's Cut Oct 25, 2013, 01:13 Creston

Btw, since I've just spent about an hour and a half researching this, I figured I'd share it in case someone else has problems with the game.

The original ran flawlessly for me, but the Director's Cut was suffering from pretty bad stuttering. I seemed to be locked to 30fps, and was frequently dipping below.

Some enterprising souls on the Steam forums found this:

In regedit open:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eidos\Deus Ex: HRDC and locate AllowJobStealing - set it to 0

For NVIDIA owners - in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eidos\Deus Ex: HRDC\Graphics locate AtiForceFetch4 - set it to 0

I run a 2600K/GTX 680 SLI setup and was experiencing dreadful, stuttery performance with dips into the 30s on any setting. After the fix, I've got full gpu utilization and 200 fps (on a single 680) with all settings maxed. Hope this helps, and again, all credit to Fr33jack.

thread here

Made those changes, game now runs at rock solid 60fps with Vsync on, and ~230fps with it off. (which strangely causes no screen tear whatsoever, but it does make my card really hot, so eh, 60fps is fine.)

As for the game itself, the graphics have definitely been beefed up on character models, far better looking faces now. Everything seems a bit less yellow, and I have the idea that some of the environment textures may have had some upgrades too.

It has new boss fights (haven't reached them yet but you can youtube them), and more awesomely, your energy pool now recharges the first TWO bars rather than just one. Wooot! (still no option to recharge all five automatically, sadly.)

So all in all, a worthy upgrade for 5 bucks, I'd say. (despite me having to waste time getting it to run properly.)

This comment was edited on Oct 25, 2013, 01:26.

43. Re: OMG OMG OMG OMG YOU GUYS Oct 24, 2013, 23:13 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 17:18:
nin wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 15:41:
edit: Obligatory that time I drew Jar Jar for Creston in mspaint with a trackball...

Still a better jar-jar than that shit in Episode 1. It's funny, every few years I watch that movie, and every time I watch it, for the first 15 minutes or so, it's pretty good, and I'm enjoying it. And then Jar-Jar shows up and it goes RAPIDLY fucking downhill from there.

That's a funny picture.

Ep 1 has some good moments, like the pod race and the fight with Maul. Otherwise, the bad out weighs the good by a lot... Wall2

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

42. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2013, 19:15 xXBatmanXx

I towed Joey Graceffa's car.

Awesome. I like the comments on the video, as I have never heard of this guy either, and i don't want to. Just from the clips he showed in the above video, I would never want to watch let alone follow a douche like that. I like the comment Twiebers. hahahahahah

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

41. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2013, 18:16 Cutter

Hoop wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 16:58:
Oh yes to you it's a resounding victory.

I also have no idea why you would not drop "How do ya like them beans" on her when walking away with your freebees.

More like he should have smirked at her, took a sip of his free coffee and said...'Cool beans...cool beans indeed.'

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

40. Re: OMG OMG OMG OMG YOU GUYS Oct 24, 2013, 17:18 Creston

nin wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 15:41:
edit: Obligatory that time I drew Jar Jar for Creston in mspaint with a trackball...

Still a better jar-jar than that shit in Episode 1. It's funny, every few years I watch that movie, and every time I watch it, for the first 15 minutes or so, it's pretty good, and I'm enjoying it. And then Jar-Jar shows up and it goes RAPIDLY fucking downhill from there.

39. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2013, 16:58 Hoop

Oh yes to you it's a resounding victory.

I also have no idea why you would not drop "How do ya like them beans" on her when walking away with your freebees.

Um .. Behind you...

38. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2013, 16:54 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 13:29:
I know I'm only confirming my guilt even more here but I don't see anything wrong with talking to pets. They know my voice and understand the tone; I'm sure Quincy equates my baby talk to purring and Chester equated (until he went deaf) my babbling to canine grunting.

Especially when they talk back!

My dogs understand a fair number of words, and I use inflection to get their attention. It would be pretty lonely if I didn't chat with them.

9 outta 15.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2013, 16:52 xXBatmanXx

Verno wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 11:00:
maleitch wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 10:29:
No, that is not normal. It is normal for the henpecked men who married women with the "entitled princess" syndrome. Blue I cringe when I read about your jokes concerning everything you are and are not "allowed" to do.

Stand up for yourself damnit.

I'm sure there's a certain amount of satire and exaggeration here for our benefit. Give and take is normal in relationships, there are some things I stand firm on and other things where I cave to my GF, she does the same with me. Often times "winning" an argument just means hurt feelings, it's often better to just settle somewhere in the middle with the knowledge that you chose the higher road despite being correct

Most of it is tongue in cheek, and if you were married, you would understand the humor. (geared towards maleitch)

36. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2013, 16:50 xXBatmanXx

35. Re: OMG OMG OMG OMG YOU GUYS Oct 24, 2013, 15:41 nin

jdreyer wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 15:36:
Creston wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 15:00:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 14:56:
Creston wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 11:41:
Jedi. ====================================>

Trying for Jedi 3.

DAMMIT! Still not Jedi! What the hell??!!

Only 15406 Midichlorians to go, young Padawan

*JDreyer's body convulses in seizure caused by Episode 1 flashbacks of Jake Lloyd, midichlorians, and Jar Jar Binks*

"YOU-SA FOAMIN AT DA MOUTH-SAY!"

34. Re: OMG OMG OMG OMG YOU GUYS Oct 24, 2013, 15:36 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 15:00:

Trying for Jedi 3.

*JDreyer's body convulses in seizure caused by Episode 1 flashbacks of Jake Lloyd, midichlorians, and Jar Jar Binks*

33. Re: OMG OMG OMG OMG YOU GUYS Oct 24, 2013, 15:00 Creston

Trying for Jedi 3.

32. Re: OMG OMG OMG OMG YOU GUYS Oct 24, 2013, 14:57 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 12:00:
Pigeon wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 11:56:
Shouldn't that be: ()||||||()=====================>

Took me a second to figure that one out.

Pssh. And you call yourself a JEDI.

()||||||()=====================>

31. Re: OMG OMG OMG OMG YOU GUYS Oct 24, 2013, 14:56 jdreyer

Trying for Jedi 3.

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo