Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Path of Exile Launches

Grinding Gear Games announces Path of Exile is now officially live after seven years of development and nine months of open beta testing, saying the free-to-play action/RPG is also now playable through Steam. The PoE website has details on the launch and what's new in version 1.0. Looking forward, they already have a lengthy post about plans for upcoming balance changes, and express this commitment to adding new content:

Our core development team scaled up from 20 developers to 33 during the Open Beta and we're planning to continue to grow it so that we can keep up a fast pace of Path of Exile content development. We're planning on releasing updates every two weeks, which will include content such as new skills, support gems, Unique items, microtransactions, league modes, balance changes and bug fixes. Our long term plans revolve around expansions each four months that add substantial content or headline features (such as new trade systems) that are timed with the rotation of our four-month challenge leagues.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Path of Exile Launches Oct 25, 2013, 00:42 dj LiTh

Suppa7 wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 00:08:
Esoteric wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 05:51:
PoE is a great game if you're a "hardcore" action RPG fan. The mechanics are involved and complicated, allowing tons of build possibilities, through passives, skill gems, and unique gear. This is what makes it great for some people, and bad for others.

But it's free to play in its entirety. And if you like it, and have some cash to spare, send some to the devs. They're truly a good company and deserve all the credit and money they get. I suggest extra stash space as your first purchase.

Any game that doesn't allow you to own it eventually doesn't deserve to get paid for. I don't care how amazing the game is. Any money you sink into the game, the moment they decide to shut down the servers permanently that money is lost forever.

I like being able to play old games. Until there exists offline versions of F2P games when they decide to close their doors for the game I will never spend a cent on them.

Well your in luck, cause this game has ZERO pay to win mechanics. Infact after playing it i bet you'll still give them some money if you really like it just as a 'donation' to the devs. They will be working on this one for years and years. Its quite popular.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Path of Exile Launches Oct 25, 2013, 00:08 Suppa7

Esoteric wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 05:51:
PoE is a great game if you're a "hardcore" action RPG fan. The mechanics are involved and complicated, allowing tons of build possibilities, through passives, skill gems, and unique gear. This is what makes it great for some people, and bad for others.

But it's free to play in its entirety. And if you like it, and have some cash to spare, send some to the devs. They're truly a good company and deserve all the credit and money they get. I suggest extra stash space as your first purchase.

Any game that doesn't allow you to own it eventually doesn't deserve to get paid for. I don't care how amazing the game is. Any money you sink into the game, the moment they decide to shut down the servers permanently that money is lost forever.

I like being able to play old games. Until there exists offline versions of F2P games when they decide to close their doors for the game I will never spend a cent on them.

32. Re: Path of Exile Launches Oct 24, 2013, 15:49 dj LiTh

So far i'm level 30 on my Scion Spectral Thrower (me and 10,000 other people ) in the Nemesis HC league. Really really enjoying myself. Cant wait till i find the chance on hit and chance on kill skill runes!  

31. Re: Path of Exile Launches Oct 24, 2013, 14:50 jdreyer

Dev wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 09:21:
PHJF wrote on Oct 23, 2013, 19:41:
Routinely blue screened my system via my x-fi sound card. Wasn't alone.
Greeeeat.
I have one too, looks like I should wait to play.

I have an X-fi sound card, and it works fine for me. Windows 7 64 bit.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

30. Re: Path of Exile Launches Oct 24, 2013, 12:07 Axis

xXBatmanXx I'm disappointed you don't remember POE's #1 fan giving you a key...

Yours truly,

Axis

29. Re: Path of Exile Launches Oct 24, 2013, 11:38 Creston

Well, since I've always said I was waiting until it launched, I guess I have to go and play this at some point.  

28. Re: Path of Exile Launches Oct 24, 2013, 10:32 dj LiTh

Dev wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 09:21:
Greeeeat.

You guys try this version? 1.00?

27. Re: Path of Exile Launches Oct 24, 2013, 10:26 Undocumented Alien

Greeeeat.

Right-click your PoE Icon on your Desktop, choose Properties, in the "Target" text box paste the following:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile\Client.exe" --softwareaudio

This should stop PoE from crashing because of the x-fi sound card until they fix it properly.

26. Re: Path of Exile Launches Oct 24, 2013, 09:21 Dev

Greeeeat.

25. Re: Path of Exile Launches Oct 24, 2013, 08:25 Undocumented Alien

I played a few characters up to about level 30 or so. I think it's a fun game, especially for $0 (I purchased extra storage to give them some money for their work). The game gives you a lot of control over your character, the graphics look good, and the environments are varied.

Of course I'm not super happy about the online only requirement, but again it costs $0 and they have no prior history of shipping an offline mode so it's hard to complain about it.

It costs $0 to check out, judge for yourself.

24. Re: Path of Exile Launches Oct 24, 2013, 05:51 Esoteric

23. Re: Path of Exile Launches Oct 24, 2013, 04:49 RaZ0r!

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 04:37:
RaZ0r! wrote on Oct 23, 2013, 19:32:
Glykon wrote on Oct 23, 2013, 19:12:
PoE sooo much better than D3

This.

...isn't a properly formulated argument nor logical reasoning.

QFT

22. Re: Path of Exile Launches Oct 24, 2013, 04:37 eRe4s3r

RaZ0r! wrote on Oct 23, 2013, 19:32:
Glykon wrote on Oct 23, 2013, 19:12:
PoE sooo much better than D3

This.

...isn't a properly formulated argument nor logical reasoning.

21. Re: Path of Exile Launches Oct 24, 2013, 03:33 Krizzen

It's really awesome to see this game finally go live, and the Steam release is a bit of a surprise to me. I'm sure it gets old hearing, "those guys really deserve all the success they get", but it's true. Here's the lead developer's desk during first public weekend during beta.

If you wish Diablo 3 were deeper or just really love stat-heavy RPGs, give POE a go. I've had a blast all through beta, and it's only getting better.

20. Re: Path of Exile Launches Oct 24, 2013, 03:17 InBlack

One of the few TRULY free to play games (not pay to win). All the content is free apart from stash size (which is considerable even if you dont spend another dime on it) and cosmetic items.

As for the gameplay, this is what Diablo3 should have been like, minus the production values.

I played quite a bit of the Beta and Im currently burned out on arpgs but I will definitely come back to it at some point. Cant recommend this game enough.

I have a nifty blue line!

19. Re: Path of Exile Launches Oct 24, 2013, 02:47 Theo

Its not bad at all and certain worth a look as its free. Personally after D3 the combat was so slow paced i ended up feeling fairly "meh" about the game it feels even slow compared to TL2's combat.

The skill tree is truely massive, but not sure thats in a good way - but each to there own; i know some of my mates love it.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

18. Re: Path of Exile Launches Oct 24, 2013, 02:31 dj LiTh

PoE is a really great game and i cant recommend it enough. Whats more then that Grinding Gear Games (GGG) actually listens to the community. They are a great dev that really are a dying breed nowadays. They deserve all the success they get and then some! I've already bought quite a few extra stash tabs over the course of the beta.

It really is the closest thing you can get to diablo2 wise. In many aspects it actually surpasses it and really raises the bar in the stagnant arpg genre.

17. Re: Path of Exile Launches Oct 24, 2013, 01:58 Kajetan

---  

16. Re: Path of Exile Launches Oct 24, 2013, 01:56 Kajetan

Suppa7 wrote on Oct 23, 2013, 22:35:
The skill tree's are infinitely better then the newbie world of warcraft garbage you'll find in Diablo 3.
Skill tree? Compared to Diablo 3s poor excuse for a talent system, i was OVERWHELMED by the sheer multitude of possible build variants. The first time the skill tree opens, i was like WHOAHHHH and then i was like NICE! And when i noticed that you can even level up jewels and combine them in a multitude of different item socket variations ...

I have played a few hours now. Compared to Diablo 3 (which i played in the Starters Edition), its the better action RPG. Production values and presentation are nearly perfect in D3 (as one would expect from a Blizzard game), but the gameplay itself lacks all the *oomp* a good Hack & Slay needs. D3s gameplay is shallow, its gets boring fast.

PoE is way better in terms of gameplay depth and replayability.

15. Re: Path of Exile Launches Oct 24, 2013, 00:12 Kosumo

From my memory that was like 10 to 15 minutes before the 'level' would reset. I found times that I was playing mp with friend, that we would try to reset/rerandomize a map and it would be hard to get it to restart it even if we went and made a new game.

Think that stuff has been fix though.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo