Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Rocksmith 2014 Edition

Ubisoft announces that Rocksmith 2014 Edition is now available for Windows and consoles, continuing this musical game series that can teach real guitar skills. Here's word:

Exclusively in Rocksmith 2014 Edition is the revolutionary Session Mode, a new technology developed in San Francisco that allows up to two users to play guitar alongside a virtual band that follows their every lead in real-time. Players choose the style of music and from over 70 instruments they’d like to play with, and on-screen prompts help the player learn how to improvise and jam live with a band.

Core to the Rocksmith learning experience is the new Instant Riff Repeater which lets players choose the difficulty, speed and section of each track they play, helping them focus on the particular sections that they struggle with the most. Players are now in full control of their learning pace and can master every part of the songs they want to learn.

Jerry Cantrell, lead guitarist and vocalist of Alice In Chains says, “I wish I had Rocksmith when I was learning guitar.” Jim Rosenberg, President of Epiphone Guitars states, “Rocksmith is the most fun and effective way to improve your guitar skills.”

Rocksmith 2014 Edition includes over 50 songs, including hits by Aerosmith, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Iron Maiden, Kiss, Muse, Nirvana, Pantera, Queen, Radiohead, Rise Against, Slayer, System Of A Down, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Weezer, and many more. For the full list of tracks, please visit www.Rocksmith.com

Players who already own the previous version of Rocksmith (released in 2011) will be able to further enjoy their rock experience in Rocksmith 2014 Edition by importing 52 songs from the original Rocksmith for $9.99. Each song from the first version has been revamped to support all of the new features. Additionally, previous DLC purchased for Rocksmith will be compatible with Rocksmith 2014 Edition at no extra cost.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rocksmith 2014 Edition Oct 26, 2013, 18:02 Wowbagger_TIP

TorchMaster wrote on Oct 26, 2013, 17:03:
So that there isn't any confusion, you don't need an amp, effects, or tuner to play Rocksmith -- these are are built in. You can even free play within Rocksmith, selecting from among the variety of available amp and effect models to shape your sound. But yeah, to play outside Rocksmith, you would want an amp and tuner.

Line 6 does make good products for multi-effects and amp modeling. I can also highly recommend the new Fender Mustang line of amps. These days, even low cost amps are pretty good.
Yeah, I saw that I didn't need an amp to play RS, which is why I haven't been in too big a hurry to get one. But I would like to be able to practice and play around outside the game too, so I'll want to grab one pretty soon. I'll take a look at the Mustang and Line 6 amps, thanks!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rocksmith 2014 Edition Oct 26, 2013, 17:03 TorchMaster

So that there isn't any confusion, you don't need an amp, effects, or tuner to play Rocksmith -- these are are built in. You can even free play within Rocksmith, selecting from among the variety of available amp and effect models to shape your sound. But yeah, to play outside Rocksmith, you would want an amp and tuner.

Line 6 does make good products for multi-effects and amp modeling. I can also highly recommend the new Fender Mustang line of amps. These days, even low cost amps are pretty good.

Victory needs no explanation; defeat allows none.

26. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rocksmith 2014 Edition Oct 26, 2013, 16:44 Wowbagger_TIP

Necrophob wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 16:58:
You might want to look into this as well:

POD Studio UX2

Has about any effect you could possibly want (as well as a built in tuner). You can plug some headphones into it and jam. Only thing that is required is a computer to run the interface for effect selection. I have that and the floor pedal version, but the floor pedal is meant for actual gigs, and is a bitch to use.

As for the guitar I use, I think it's an Ibanez JS100 (one of the low end Joe Satriani signature series guitars).

Looks pretty cool. I still need to get a basic amp right now. I'll probably do a little shopping around this weekend for one. Not sure exactly what I should get yet.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

25. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rocksmith 2014 Edition Oct 25, 2013, 16:58 Necrophob

You might want to look into this as well:

POD Studio UX2

Has about any effect you could possibly want (as well as a built in tuner). You can plug some headphones into it and jam. Only thing that is required is a computer to run the interface for effect selection. I have that and the floor pedal version, but the floor pedal is meant for actual gigs, and is a bitch to use.

As for the guitar I use, I think it's an Ibanez JS100 (one of the low end Joe Satriani signature series guitars).

24. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rocksmith 2014 Edition Oct 25, 2013, 16:43 Wowbagger_TIP

Thanks for the site suggestions. I'll have to take a look at those. I've found some beginner lesson vids on YT that should help too. I'll probably take the guitar to a local shop to get set up, unless a friend of mine is around to help with that.  

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rocksmith 2014 Edition Oct 25, 2013, 15:04 TorchMaster

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 14:06:
So this is the guitar I decided on after several hours of reading and watching Youtube demo vids. Liked the sound, and most people that have one seem to like it s lot. It's not too exprnsive either, which is nice.

Squier Affinity Strat HSS

The Squier Affinity is a fine choice.

I think a new guitarist should spend enough to get a quality instrument, but should not go high end. Squiers and Epiphones are good options. A $60 guitar is likely going to be harder to play and may have some frustrating defects.

It was my impression of Rocksmith 1 that it would not be a good teaching tool for the complete beginner. They glossed over many basics that a neophyte is going to have trouble figuring out on their own. I expect this has been improved in Rocksmith 2. I would recommend that a brand new guitarist supplement Rocksmith with some online lessons. I'm sure there are good free video lessons available online.

Rocksmith is excellent for an intermediate-level player that already has the foundations. I consider myself to be at the intermediate level and Rocksmith did improve my ability. It helped me for playing in-time with a band, introduced me to some interesting guitar and bass riffs, and made practice fun.

For the advanced guitarist, Rocksmith 1 is also limited as a practice tool. The clunky interface made it such that it was difficult to learn portions of songs as the songs were composed. It sounds like this has been improved with the enhancements to the Riff Repeater feature. Rocksmith also doesn't help the advanced guitarist in that you are just mimicking someone else's parts -- creativity and uniqueness of style are not rewarded. I'm hoping that the Session Mode helps with this weakness.

FYI, I have had good experiences buying equipment online from both musiciansfriend.com and sweetwater.com. MusiciansFriend tends to have the best prices around. Sweetwater makes an extra effort in terms of customer service. I've only bought a guitar online once -- it was from MusiciansFriend and arrived with a significant ding on the body, but they exchanged it for another at no cost. Buying online means that a guitar might arrive that isn't setup particularly well, but most local dealers can take care of that pretty well.

=TorchMaster=

Victory needs no explanation; defeat allows none.

22. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rocksmith 2014 Edition Oct 25, 2013, 14:06 Wowbagger_TIP

So this is the guitar I decided on after several hours of reading and watching Youtube demo vids. Liked the sound, and most people that have one seem to like it s lot. It's not too exprnsive either, which is nice.

Squier Affinity Strat HSS

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rocksmith 2014 Edition Oct 25, 2013, 10:35 Necrophob

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 20:37:
Necrophob wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 09:52:
jacobvandy wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 00:46:
A good starter guitar is CHEAP, lol.

a) You don't know what a "good" guitar sounds like, so that doesn't matter
b) You're probably going to bang it up or slack on maintenance or otherwise wear on it faster when you're just starting out
c) You might decide you're just not as into learning as you thought you might have been after trying it a while

And so on. It's best not to spend a whole bunch of money right away, you can always buy something better later when you know what you're doing. I got a Squier Bullet Strat for $130 or so to go along with the original game when I got it almost a year ago, and even that is too expensive for a starter axe by some opinions I've seen. You might prefer a different body shape, though. Just remember to pick up a strap (the ones that come with cheap guitars always suck), a bunch of picks, and maybe a change of strings to go with it.

I kind of have the opposite opinion. Like you, I got a Squire as my first guitar, and it sounded horrible. If it sounds horrible, you think YOU sound horrible, and its a bad feedback loop. A good guitar makes a lot of difference.

As for Rocksmith 2014, I can wait to get this. Does the original Rocksmith PS3 cable work on the PC? I'd imagine it's the same thing.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm looking into the options still, and doing some reading. I may go hit one of the better stores here in town tomorrow to take a look at what they have. Hopefully I'll get something picked out by this weekend.

You can get a decent Ibanez for around $200-$300. I'd recommend something with a floyd rose tremelo, so you aren't having to constantly retune (or just get one without a tremelo at all...you probably won't use it much anyways). Don't get active pickups, cause they take a 9-volt battery.

The only problem with the floyd rose is that it's a floating bridge, so if you rest your palm on it while picking it can cause the note to be sharp...the original Rocksmith was really sensitive to this.

And when Rocksmith would require you to do a drop-d tuning, you'd have to loosen the locking nut to tune. Was a hassle. I ended up using a cheapie guitar to play Rocksmith just because it was a pain to use my better guitar.

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rocksmith 2014 Edition Oct 24, 2013, 21:44 nin

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 20:37:

b) You're probably going to bang it up or slack on maintenance or otherwise wear on it faster when you're just starting out
c) You might decide you're just not as into learning as you thought you might have been after trying it a while

And so on. It's best not to spend a whole bunch of money right away, you can always buy something better later when you know what you're doing. I got a Squier Bullet Strat for $130 or so to go along with the original game when I got it almost a year ago, and even that is too expensive for a starter axe by some opinions I've seen. You might prefer a different body shape, though. Just remember to pick up a strap (the ones that come with cheap guitars always suck), a bunch of picks, and maybe a change of strings to go with it.

I kind of have the opposite opinion. Like you, I got a Squire as my first guitar, and it sounded horrible. If it sounds horrible, you think YOU sound horrible, and its a bad feedback loop. A good guitar makes a lot of difference.

As for Rocksmith 2014, I can wait to get this. Does the original Rocksmith PS3 cable work on the PC? I'd imagine it's the same thing.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm looking into the options still, and doing some reading. I may go hit one of the better stores here in town tomorrow to take a look at what they have. Hopefully I'll get something picked out by this weekend.

Feel free to include pictures of what you get!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rocksmith 2014 Edition Oct 24, 2013, 20:37 Wowbagger_TIP

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rocksmith 2014 Edition Oct 24, 2013, 09:52 Necrophob

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rocksmith 2014 Edition Oct 24, 2013, 08:46 Prez

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 00:18:
I never tried Rocksmith, but I've been wanting to learn guitar for a while now. Haven't gotten around to buying one though. Guess that would be a first step if I want to pick this up. I watched some Youtube vids about it, and it seems like a great teaching tool. I have no idea what a good starter guitar would be, so that's gonna take some research.

If you are looking for a good simple guitar for not too much cash Squire Stratocasters are a good place to start.

Guitar Center's Squire Strat Listing

They are generally considered budget or beginner guitars but I've been playing for 26 years and I still use one because it feels and sounds great.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rocksmith 2014 Edition Oct 24, 2013, 08:39 Prez

InBlack wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 04:12:
Prez wrote on Oct 23, 2013, 17:41:
Silvanus wrote on Oct 23, 2013, 13:41:
Don't forget you also need the 'Real tone cable' with is about $25 USD if you don't have it yet.
I got the 2011 Rocksmith version with cable on sale for $40.. that was the cheapest I found. I'll get this, but wait for a sale..

-Silvanus

Already have it. Frankly I was amazed that it actually worked at all, and I was truly stunned at the great tones I was getting with it using my different axes (Les Paul, MiM Strat, Jackson Dinky, and Schecter Blackjack).

The first was a great teaching tool that was lacking in a few key areas. If the sequel fixes those I guess it's worth the 70 bucks.

Fellow guitar player here, does it really improve chops? I play in two bands, and as a result have gotten lazy with regards to practicing at home. Will this help at all?? Does it feature crazy solos? Ive been looking for something like this for a long time but Im kind of sceptical....

My experience is only with the first. In my opinion the genius of this game is that it makes you want to practice, makes you play actual songs quickly, and yes, you get better while playing. The song selection was pretty hit and miss in the first, but if you have varied tastes (Rolling Stones to Lamb of God) it isn't much of a roadblock since it's pretty easy to score high enough on the shitty songs to advance. The solos are tunable so if you can't do the ridiculously insane arpeggios and triplets like Synister Gates in "Afterlife", you don't have to. If you wish, however, you can practice the solo until you have it down note for note.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rocksmith 2014 Edition Oct 24, 2013, 04:16 InBlack

I disagree. If you are serious about guitar playing then you should buy a guitar that you will want to use even occasionaly even after you 'outgrow' it. Get the Yamaha Pacifica, pretty much any model will do. They are of way better quality than most entry guitars and will serve as great backup guiatars if at some point you want to play live.

I have a nifty blue line!

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rocksmith 2014 Edition Oct 24, 2013, 04:12 InBlack

Prez wrote on Oct 23, 2013, 17:41:
Don't forget you also need the 'Real tone cable' with is about $25 USD if you don't have it yet.
I got the 2011 Rocksmith version with cable on sale for $40.. that was the cheapest I found. I'll get this, but wait for a sale..

-Silvanus

Already have it. Frankly I was amazed that it actually worked at all, and I was truly stunned at the great tones I was getting with it using my different axes (Les Paul, MiM Strat, Jackson Dinky, and Schecter Blackjack).

The first was a great teaching tool that was lacking in a few key areas. If the sequel fixes those I guess it's worth the 70 bucks.

Fellow guitar player here, does it really improve chops? I play in two bands, and as a result have gotten lazy with regards to practicing at home. Will this help at all?? Does it feature crazy solos? Ive been looking for something like this for a long time but Im kind of sceptical....

I have a nifty blue line!

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rocksmith 2014 Edition Oct 24, 2013, 00:46 jacobvandy

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rocksmith 2014 Edition Oct 24, 2013, 00:18 Wowbagger_TIP

I never tried Rocksmith, but I've been wanting to learn guitar for a while now. Haven't gotten around to buying one though. Guess that would be a first step if I want to pick this up. I watched some Youtube vids about it, and it seems like a great teaching tool. I have no idea what a good starter guitar would be, so that's gonna take some research.  

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rocksmith 2014 Edition Oct 23, 2013, 17:41 Prez

-Silvanus

- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rocksmith 2014 Edition Oct 23, 2013, 16:44 Agent.X7

I liked the original, aside form the clunky as fuck interface, but I will be waiting on this. Too many damn games release in a short period, and I'm still playing catchup with the inFAMOUS series, Midnight Club LA, and Red Dead Redemption.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rocksmith 2014 Edition Oct 23, 2013, 15:47 nin

It's not clear to me from the Rocksmith website that the game supports bass out of the box; bass was an add-on for the original version. Can someone comment on the availability of bass performance?

It's in 2014.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo