Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Red Baron Remake Kickstarter

A new Kickstarter is underway from Mad Otter Games to raise a quarter-million dollars to develop an updated version of Red Baron, Dynamix's classic World War I combat flight simulator, designed by Damon Slye, creator of the original. They propose an easy-to-learn dogfighting game with a single-player campaign, a persistent multiplayer world with no subscription fees or pay-to-win, as well as a MOBA setting. They have put $250K into the project so far, and say alpha testing is near. Here's a bit more:

Red Baron will hit the sweet spot between simulation and game dead-on. We will emulate the controls of flight authentically but with a focus on fun and intuitive gameplay. Our design goal is to make it easy to play but hard to master.

You will be able to hop into your airplane and begin playing in minutes. The controls will be intuitive and easy to grasp. You wonít have to have a degree in advanced aerodynamics to understand how to fly and fight. Under the hood, the game will be running a complex and realistic simulation, but we will hide the complexities from new players and let them discover them over time at their own pace.

We want to focus on an immersive and gallant flying experience. It is not just about documental realism: placing every gauge, dial, and knob in the right place, but about confronting the player with the same challenges and psychological reality that WWI Aces faced.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Red Baron Remake Kickstarter Oct 23, 2013, 09:32 Bludd

Maybe this will be the first KS I back which doesn't meet its goal?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Red Baron Remake Kickstarter Oct 23, 2013, 08:56 nin

<checks KS> Ugh...not a very strong opening for a game asking for 250k.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

26. Re: Red Baron Remake Kickstarter Oct 23, 2013, 05:52 NewMaxx

The original Red Baron was amazing. As much as I loved the single-player game, I also played it online (ImagiNation Network, or INN). When I say played I mean competitively...leagues and all that, world rankings (I was generally top 5), etc. When most of the top players of today were in cribs I was shooting down aces twice my age over a 2400 baud modem on a state-of-the-art 486SX - those were the days. It was an experience to me only equaled or bettered by Battlefield 1942, but it stops there. Again, though, loved the single-player mode as well...one of the finest games ever made to be sure. Then again, that was a different era, when there were actually great flying games to choose from (the Aces games, Yeager, as well as all the classics, and much more). Therefore, yeah, hard to praise it as a stand-out unless you count the multi-player iteration.

(also, as many people mentioned, Realistic was the only way to play RB, and it was awesome)

25. Re: Red Baron Remake Kickstarter Oct 23, 2013, 04:28 InBlack

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 23, 2013, 02:54:
Compared to the original Red Barons this looks very arcadey. I remember a very unforgiving flight model in Red Baron where you could have never pulled off any of the maneuvers that were shown in this clip. Your plane would have fallen apart.
Also fully armed you had a climb rate of maybe 10ft per minute (slight exaggeration alert) in the original game and here it looks much more WW2-like instead of WW1.

Might all turn into a fun action flight sim but a Red Baron remake this is not.

Well there is always Rise of Flight. Ive never played it because I dont have that much interest in WW1 planes, but apparently its very very good. DCS: WW2 is coming out, as is Il-2: BOS, and there is always the very best in F-sims ever, DCS: World and all of its very cool modules. At this moment Im playing DCS: World to the exclusion of every other game out there. X-Rebirth and XCOM might change that, but if the advanced flight model for the F-15C comes out in the meantime...

I have a nifty blue line!

24. Re: Red Baron Remake Kickstarter Oct 23, 2013, 02:54 CJ_Parker

Compared to the original Red Barons this looks very arcadey. I remember a very unforgiving flight model in Red Baron where you could have never pulled off any of the maneuvers that were shown in this clip. Your plane would have fallen apart.
Also fully armed you had a climb rate of maybe 10ft per minute (slight exaggeration alert) in the original game and here it looks much more WW2-like instead of WW1.

Might all turn into a fun action flight sim but a Red Baron remake this is not.

23. Re: Red Baron Remake Kickstarter Oct 22, 2013, 22:04 Wildone

You haven't tried the occ rift yet..  

22. Re: Red Baron Remake Kickstarter Oct 22, 2013, 21:59 RoboNerd

I wish someone would update Full Metal Planet, or how about Seven Cities of Gold?

Probably never gonna happen, wait, did I just date myself? Toff

21. Re: Red Baron Remake Kickstarter Oct 22, 2013, 21:33 Stanly Manly

Not sure if I'll get the game, but I tossed 5 bucks at them for a couple reasons...

1. They are based out of Eugene, Oregon. Gotta support my community.

2. He seems genuinely passionate about the game, and I get the feeling he'll deliver something that the fans of the genre will enjoy. I can definitely support that =).

Hope it turns out well for devs and fans alike!

20. Re: Red Baron Remake Kickstarter Oct 22, 2013, 21:26 Suppa7

Beamer wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 18:11:
Cutter wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 17:53:
The original was boring as hell. Hardly the Danger Zone.

I always find modern combat boring as hell.

That's why gameplay based games based on fantasy tends to be better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhAR8rWPluQ

19. Re: Red Baron Remake Kickstarter Oct 22, 2013, 21:12 Suppa7

Beamer wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 20:31:
"Immersion" is ridiculous of a concept.

No it's not, it's that it's been hi-jacked by losers who think getting rid of huds and replacing it with regen health and bloodspats 'adds immersion' (aka taking every great videogame thing out to make it more movie like).

Immersion in the TRUE GAMER sense has always been about consistency. For instance having a pink unicorn show up as an end boss in diablo without any kind of build up (think cow level type deal) makes no sense and is 'immersion breaking'.

In the fag ass story gamer movie based sense it's 'anything that aesthetically offends my hipster sensibilities like the traditional quake/unreal HUD'.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2013, 21:19.

18. Re: Red Baron Remake Kickstarter Oct 22, 2013, 20:50 ForgedReality

Dude! I loved that game! I played so many hours of it. I still have the box and disks, in almost pristine condition.  

17. Re: Red Baron Remake Kickstarter Oct 22, 2013, 20:31 Beamer

"Immersion" is ridiculous of a concept.

I've never once played a video game and felt like I was actually there. I've never forgotten that I was sitting at a desk. I've been as immersed in blocky games like Doom or X-COM as I have been in stunningly photo-realistic games like Heavy Rain or Hard Reset (moreso, actually, especially since ambient sounds are probably more immersive than graphics ever could be, and those two old games had such wonderful ambient sounds.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: Red Baron Remake Kickstarter Oct 22, 2013, 18:53 nin

Wildone wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 18:51:
Then why not fly around in a pink & purple world, you will be perfectly happy!

If you're not interested in it, why have you made 4 out of the 14 posts in this thread?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

15. Re: Red Baron Remake Kickstarter Oct 22, 2013, 18:52 Burrito of Peace

Wildone wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 18:51:

I did, had a great time doing it as the gameplay was solid.

What's your belabored point again?

14. Re: Red Baron Remake Kickstarter Oct 22, 2013, 18:51 Wildone

13. Re: Red Baron Remake Kickstarter Oct 22, 2013, 18:27 Burrito of Peace

If you're so incredibly worried that the daisies on the hillside are photo realistic, then the immersion is already not there.

As a player, I should be way more concerned that a wolf pack of D3s just dropped out of the clouds on my ass and I can already hear the canvas tearing from the bullets ripping through the fragile wooden frame.

Hell, in modern combat dog fights, I've never been going so slow or low that I could count the individual pine cones on the trees.

Also, by that logic, I guess SH3 and 4 sucked because there wasn't marine biology in the ocean for me to look at while trying to take down a convoy without being depth charged to Hell and back by destroyers.

12. Re: Red Baron Remake Kickstarter Oct 22, 2013, 18:24 Wildone

AH YES I knew what this reminded me of! Doesn't look like things have improved much since 1999 lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3oElW0m9Pw

11. Re: Red Baron Remake Kickstarter Oct 22, 2013, 18:23 Wildone

There's this thing called 'Immersion' though, by your logic why not just make everything flat shaded polygons? If your going to attempt to do something like convince me Im really flying a plane above the earth it kinda breaks it for me if everything looks 'funny'. Sorry its about the whole package. Either go for it or do something super stylized then  

10. Re: Red Baron Remake Kickstarter Oct 22, 2013, 18:11 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 17:53:
The original was boring as hell. Hardly the Danger Zone.

I always find modern combat boring as hell. You see a pixel, your nav locks on, you blow it out of the sky from 2 miles out.

I loved Red Baron. You can only fire straight, so you've got to desperately maneuver to get a bead on someone, while fighting against gravity, wing sheer, blackouts and redouts.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Red Baron Remake Kickstarter Oct 22, 2013, 17:56 Burrito of Peace

Wildone wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 17:08:
I honestly thought that video was from 1998, the scenery sucks ass its like WOW cartoony style. With ROF & IL2 stuff out there I dont know..

When I am dogfighting for my life in a Morane Bullet, the LAST thing I give a shit about is how good the ground looks. Unless, of course, it is rushing swiftly up to meet me and insure my untimely demise.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo