Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

GOG.Com offers Dark Matter Refunds

A forum post by the GOG.com team announces the etailer is stepping up and offering refunds for Dark Matter for those who feel deceived by the game's description, which they have changed (thanks PC Gamer). Here's word:

It's come to our attention that the gamecard for Dark Matter was not quite specific enough about the nature of the game and, as a result, it may be that some people bought the title with some misapprehensions as to how the game's story would end. Since we don't ever want to sell a game to someone because they believe it is something that it is not, we wanted to let you know about this and let you know what we're doing to make it right.

If you bought Dark Matter before 21 October 2013 at 15:00 GMT (when we updated the description to where we feel it adequately reflects the game) and you feel that the game wasn't as promised to you, please contact Support and they'll be happy to offer you full refund to your card or, if you''d prefer, games of equal or lesser value to the sale price of Dark Matter (which is $13.49).

We're sorry if anyone who bought the game isn't happy with the way it was represented, and we hope this makes it right for you guys.

If you've got any questions, hit me up and I'll try to answer 'em for you.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: GOG.Com offers Dark Matter Refunds Oct 23, 2013, 08:58 nin

Squirmer wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 22:50:
Interesting precedent. It's a fine line between 'unfinished ending' and 'crap ending'. I wonder if people will start demanding refunds for games they consider plain shit.

That crossed my mind as well. Where do you draw the line? In this case, it does feel like they just ran out of money and tossed it up there, but what happens the next time, with a different game?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: GOG.Com offers Dark Matter Refunds Oct 23, 2013, 06:46 Kajetan

Dev wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 23:53:
It took a long time until I bought anything from them again. And anytime I have a choice between them and steam, I buy from steam.
It took me nearly two years until i gave them money again. And then only in a sale.

But to be fair, they finally acknowledged in an interview some time ago, that this marketing stunt wasnt very clever, that they burned a lot of bridges within their customerbase.

29. Re: GOG.Com offers Dark Matter Refunds Oct 22, 2013, 23:53 Dev

Kitkoan wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 18:07:
Cutter wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 18:04:
Dev wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 16:55:
Omni wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 10:55:
The service of GOG is fucking amazing.

Although their humor leaves rather much to be desired.

What do you mean?

Mostly like the "We are no longer *beta* GoG and so *beta* GoG will shut down" prank a while ago.
Except they left the *beta* part out of the whole thing, until it was over. So they were saying "GoG will shut down"
And their video apology was offensive, condescending, and amounted basically to "you idiots have no sense of humor"

It took a long time until I bought anything from them again. And anytime I have a choice between them and steam, I buy from steam.

28. Re: GOG.Com offers Dark Matter Refunds Oct 22, 2013, 23:52 Dev

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 20:55:
I've heard GOG and Steam have pulled the game and basically the company is now defunct.
At least for GOG, the pulling would seem to be voluntary on the part of the dev.
http://www.gog.com/news/release_dark_matter
Note: Following some discussions with Iceberg Interactive, we have been asked to remove Dark Matter for sale while the developer addresses the fact that the game's ending has some problems. The game will remain available for download for anyone who has already bought it. The developers have stated that they are working on a patch as a solution to this, and as we mentioned yesterday, anyone who wants a refund on their copy of their game is free to contact Support and we'll take care of you. Our apologies about this, and we hope that this helps address the problem. If you have any questions, please feel free to leave a comment below.

27. Re: GOG.Com offers Dark Matter Refunds Oct 22, 2013, 22:50 Squirmer

Interesting precedent. It's a fine line between 'unfinished ending' and 'crap ending'. I wonder if people will start demanding refunds for games they consider plain shit.  

26. Re: GOG.Com offers Dark Matter Refunds Oct 22, 2013, 21:04 nin

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 20:55:
I've heard GOG and Steam have pulled the game and basically the company is now defunct.

Instead of an "add to cart" button, steam says:

Notice: Currently there is a known issue at the end of the game. The developer is aware of the issue and they are working on a patch as a solution.

25. Re: GOG.Com offers Dark Matter Refunds Oct 22, 2013, 20:55 HorrorScope

24. Re: GOG.Com offers Dark Matter Refunds Oct 22, 2013, 20:44 Julio

Pretty clear that GOG>Steam once again  

23. Re: GOG.Com offers Dark Matter Refunds Oct 22, 2013, 20:35 nin

Beelzebud wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 14:44:
I'd say the crowd funding honeymoon is just about over.

I'll grant you that it might not be burning as bright as last year, but considering Mighty No. 9 made 3.8 million, before paypal? It's about the right team, the right project, and the right pitch.

22. Re: GOG.Com offers Dark Matter Refunds Oct 22, 2013, 18:59 eRe4s3r

Maybe your downtrodden worldview would be better applied to a game that actually got crowdfunded to begin with This one wasn't. Though had it been, it might have a better ending ;p

21. Re: GOG.Com offers Dark Matter Refunds Oct 22, 2013, 18:07 Kitkoan

Cutter wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 18:04:

What do you mean?

Mostly like the "We are no longer *beta* GoG and so *beta* GoG will shut down" prank a while ago.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

20. Re: GOG.Com offers Dark Matter Refunds Oct 22, 2013, 18:04 Cutter

What do you mean?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

19. Re: GOG.Com offers Dark Matter Refunds Oct 22, 2013, 16:55 Dev

18. Re: GOG.Com offers Dark Matter Refunds Oct 22, 2013, 16:20 jacobvandy

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 14:11:
...and people gave me grief for wondering why those who bought the game should get a refund...

They still shouldn't. GOG is being nice here, going above and beyond what anyone should be expected to do, and garnering some PR. Especially considering the aforementioned, that their version is DRM-free, so you can keep it even after you get your money back.

There's a big difference between that and being entitled to a refund...

17. Re: GOG.Com offers Dark Matter Refunds Oct 22, 2013, 16:02 Darks

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 14:11:
...and people gave me grief for wondering why those who bought the game should get a refund...

Hey man, its blues, thats what people do here.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

16. Re: GOG.Com offers Dark Matter Refunds Oct 22, 2013, 16:01 Darks

ItBurn wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 13:09:
GOG is too nice... Since this is drm-free, it's basically GOG giving the game away for free. I would rather they kept the money and stayed afloat or improved...

no, thats what Torrents are for.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

15. Re: GOG.Com offers Dark Matter Refunds Oct 22, 2013, 14:52 NKD

What happened to "If you're dumb enough to not wait for reviews, you deserve whatever you get." Just say no to enabling retards.

This game's Kickstarter didn't even succeed. No one on Kickstarter was charged a cent.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

14. Re: GOG.Com offers Dark Matter Refunds Oct 22, 2013, 14:47 DangerDog

Just playing catch up on this, that ending was farking HILARIOUS.

If I were a developer I'd be tempted to put a fake ending in my game just like that, and when you clicked to continue the game would progress normally.

any comments from the developers on this one? were they all just "eff it, I'm sick of making this game".

13. Re: GOG.Com offers Dark Matter Refunds Oct 22, 2013, 14:44 Beelzebud

12. Re: GOG.Com offers Dark Matter Refunds Oct 22, 2013, 14:11 Wallshadows

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo