Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 23, 2013, 14:54 Verno

dj LiTh wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 23:35:
I dont have any experience with win RT but i was under the impression that all metro style apps can be run by both ecosystems. Beyond that, xbone is x86 not ARM so i'd wager it can run any apps an x86 win8.1 pc can run

I suspect it will have it's own certification process as I can't see Microsoft letting something like an XBMC app on the Xbox One where it would undermine their video rental service for example. From a hardware perspective the Xbox One has no touchpad or mouse input interface and Kinect has not (yet) been adapted to do it. I've seen a twitch companion app working but it seemed to do through some limited voice and controller input.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 23, 2013, 09:07 Pr()ZaC

I live in Brazil and it's actually cheaper (almost R$2000,00 cheaper) to order a PS4 from Amazon and have it shipped to your address. I won't comment about the outrageous and atrocious taxes that this country applies to the population, but as you can see, Brazilians get raped whenever they buy something.

So, the PS4, iWhatever and all that is normally imported or even manufactured here by foreign companies, will be the joy of wealthy people.

Pretty sad.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 2013, 09:38.

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 22, 2013, 23:35 dj LiTh

Verno wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 10:01:
Dell Ad Says Windows 8.1 Apps Will Run On Xbox One.

I highly doubt it will run all apps, probably a small subset like RT.

I dont have any experience with win RT but i was under the impression that all metro style apps can be run by both ecosystems. Beyond that, xbone is x86 not ARM so i'd wager it can run any apps an x86 win8.1 pc can run

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 22, 2013, 21:26 Dacron

A Brazllian on another forum showed he could fly to Florida, stay in a hotel, buy a ps4 (There is a best buy in Florida set up for this with Portuguese speaking staff, nearish an airport), fly back, and if he skipped local customs/duty, pay less while having a mini vacation.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 22, 2013, 18:03 Cutter

Everything in Canada goes through customs and gets an especially good going over if it's electronic, chemical or a weapon. I've never not got dinged on duty.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 22, 2013, 16:04 nin

Cutter wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 15:53:
nin wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 15:41:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 15:39:
Sony says Brazil's $1,850 PlayStation 4 price -is not good for the PlayStation brand.

$1200 of that is import tariffs. OUCH.

One has to wonder which laws might be broken for taking a US preorder and flipping it to Brazil, making a huge killing and still coming in under $1800...

And how would you get it around Brazilian customs? They'll still end up paying that duty one way or another.

Still much as we rail about taxes here that's just nuckin' futs!

A lot of times, when I order/get cds from overseas, they're marked/described as "gift" to hopefully avoid that. But obviously, with a large box, that might be a lot harder to slip past...

I can't speak for everyone, but I've had a number of orders over the years (I'd guess between 30-50) and never ran into a customs issue (although I certainly expected it a few times).

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 22, 2013, 15:59 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 15:53:
Sony says Brazil's $1,850 PlayStation 4 price -is not good for the PlayStation brand.

One has to wonder which laws might be broken for taking a US preorder and flipping it to Brazil, making a huge killing and still coming in under $1800...

And how would you get it around Brazilian customs? They'll still end up paying that duty one way or another.

It's a growth-protection policy. If you want to sell in Brazil, you basically have to build a factory in Brazil, meaning you have to create jobs in Brazil.

I worked on an M&A project at my last company exclusively for this reason. We already did some manufacturing in SA and, frankly, shipping from the US to Brazil is very easy and quick. Didn't matter, there was no way we could effectively compete with local companies, so we bought one out and moved most of our SA production into Brazil.

It's absolutely a factor in why they're one of the fastest growing economies. At the same time, it's kind of stupid for items that simply can't be manufactured easily in the country. Though, if Sony felt they could sell enough in Brazil, they'd probably build a finishing plant there.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 22, 2013, 15:53 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 22, 2013, 15:50 xXBatmanXx

Take a Road Trip to GTA V's Most Badass Real-Life Locations

Was watching tv and there was a foot chase around the outside of the Griffith Observatory in Hollywood hills and I had to laugh cause I had just ran around that thing in the game. ahhaahahah

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 22, 2013, 15:41 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 22, 2013, 15:39 jdreyer

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 22, 2013, 10:01 Verno

Dell Ad Says Windows 8.1 Apps Will Run On Xbox One.

I highly doubt it will run all apps, probably a small subset like RT.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo