Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

As I mentioned last night, Hudson the wonder dog is home, and doing much better. Her breathing has cleared up after about a liter(!) of fluid was removed from her chest cavity, her appetite is back, and she is very happy to be home. The EKG was pretty grim however, confirming what we knew, she is beginning to suffer from congestive heart failure. So her long-term prospects are poor, but at her age, that was the case before she fell ill anyway. I'll be able do discuss the results with her doctor today to determine the best way to make sure she doesn't suffer any further as this final chapter of her life plays out. Thanks you all so, so much for your kindness and indulgence during this very difficult time. Hudson has two kinds of people in her life: the friends she knows, and the friends she hasn't met yet, so you are all her buddies.

Wonder Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Age of Warriors.
Build Balance.
Links: Digital Attack Map.
Stories: PetChatz dispenses video, treats, scents on command.
Starbucks Is Criticized by Chinese State Media for Higher Prices.
World's worst airports to sleep in.
Science: To wake a sleeping herpes virus. Thanks nin.
Finnish team makes diabetes vaccine breakthrough. Thanks Slashdot.
Media: Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag - THE MUSICAL (feat. Jack Sparrow).
NWA: NFL's most disliked players: Vick and Te'o top honors. Te'o's just naive. Vick's a dick.
Follow-up: An insecticide-infection connection in bee colony collapses.
Scalded by Coffee, Then News Media. Thanks Boing Boing.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2013, 07:30 xXBatmanXx

Played through Batman Arkham City in 2 sessions - what a great game. Hope to go back and clean everything up, had a blast. Game looks so much better on PC. Joker singing during the credits was fuggin awesome.  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2013, 22:50 SlimRam

*Pointing finger at Hudson and ordering*

"Hudson, STAY.....*whispering* ...with us a bit longer"

They always say that everyone's good at something...

I just have to find the right kind of place that appreciates nude juggling of a midget, a hand grenade, and a porcupine while playing the kazoo and riding a unicycle backwards without a seat

30. Re: Most.Awesome.Thing.Ever Oct 22, 2013, 22:18 Cutter

Creston wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 20:01:
Cutter wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 16:26:
And 3.5 billion for a fucking ship that's entirely unnecessary. And you guys wonder why you have no money for health care and infrastructure.

Because our taxes are too low compared to countries that offer those things. It's not THAT difficult to figure out.

As for whether the ship is necessary, eh, we can't expect the navy to keep sailing in ships that have been around since world war 2. Considering its role as an anti-air, anti-submarine and anti-naval vehicle, as well as its ability to support infantry up to 60 miles inland, along with its low radar profile and multiple redundancy operating cores, I'd say that's probably a somewhat expected amount of money.

If the US itself weren't starting wars, conflicts, exploiting people, invading and occupying other countries then they wouldn't have had to spend a dime on the military since WWII.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2013, 22:14 BadBill

Sorry to hear that your dog is not doing well, maybe this poem might help... http://k9deb.com/TheLastBattle.html

What you are going through is extremely hard and I feel for you.

Bill

28. Re: Most.Awesome.Thing.Ever Oct 22, 2013, 20:01 Creston

And 3.5 billion for a fucking ship that's entirely unnecessary. And you guys wonder why you have no money for health care and infrastructure.

Because our taxes are too low compared to countries that offer those things. It's not THAT difficult to figure out.

As for whether the ship is necessary, eh, we can't expect the navy to keep sailing in ships that have been around since world war 2. Considering its role as an anti-air, anti-submarine and anti-naval vehicle, as well as its ability to support infantry up to 60 miles inland, along with its low radar profile and multiple redundancy operating cores, I'd say that's probably a somewhat expected amount of money.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2013, 18:34 Cutter

Oh cool, there's also a 20% voucher at Gamefly atm - GFDOCT20 - which knows 20% off both DLC and The Wolf Among Us - so my $45 purchase is now $36! Sweet!

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2013, 18:21 nin

Cutter wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 18:15:
50% off TES titles and DLC. Ok, Ima pull the gun and finally grab the DLC as I've been going slowly through a new playthrough waiting for ths.

Also gonna grab Sir, You Are Being Hunted which is on Steam for $10 today so everyone else should grab it too!

Edit: Gonna grab The Wolf Among US on GMG too as the 25 points off makes it $18.75.

Gone Home is on sale too, and the directors cut of DX is discounted for people that owned the original. Just seems like there's a ton of shit on sale, and it's not even the holiday sale yet. Oh, and both Arkham games last weekend for $10...just crazy. My wallet is already crying.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

25. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2013, 18:15 Cutter

50% off TES titles and DLC. Ok, Ima pull the gun and finally grab the DLC as I've been going slowly through a new playthrough waiting for ths.

Also gonna grab Sir, You Are Being Hunted which is on Steam for $10 today so everyone else should grab it too!

Edit: Gonna grab The Wolf Among US on GMG too as the 25 points off makes it $18.75. - Enh NM the 25% cupon doesn't apply to it so it'll have to wait.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2013, 18:21.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2013, 17:06 1badmf

rough week on beattheexperts. i don't even wanna look at my results.  

23. Re: Most.Awesome.Thing.Ever Oct 22, 2013, 16:44 xXBatmanXx

Sure we do! We just print Obama-bills! DUH!

/runs (not a fan of our President by any means.....or 97% of those in Washington period)

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2013, 16:40 jdreyer

An insecticide-infection connection in bee colony collapses.

Man, CCD is some scary shit. Walnuts have doubled in price, and I can't help thinking that CCD is partly responsible.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

21. Re: Most.Awesome.Thing.Ever Oct 22, 2013, 16:26 Cutter

Creston wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 12:49:
US Builds New Warship

the operations center of the Zumwalt will have more in common with the fictional starship USS Enterprise's bridge

Perhaps it's appropriate that the first commanding officer of the Zumwalt will be Captain James Kirk (yes, that's actually his name).

The good ol' Navy has a sense of humor, it seems.

Oh you just know that anyone with that name would have to be promoted to Captain on that fact alone.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2013, 16:25 Creston

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 16:17:
we have the best women's basketball team in the world.

yay?

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2013, 16:22 Cutter

Some of my favourite tales over the years have been about Huddy. And it became even more fun when the Gunnar-man came on board. Sucks, Blue, but we share your pain, buddy.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2013, 16:17 xXBatmanXx

I knew the Giants were going to win last night, but wow they didn't deserve it. Neither did the VIkings for that matter, but there is actually a very scathing well written article in the Star Tribune here in Minnesota today. Once that I have been preaching since the beginning of the year. Coaches gotta go. Release Freeman (worst QB in the league that we just gave 3M to!) and Ponder. Purge the secondary and start over.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/228720411.html

I hate Minnesota sports teams. Our shining light is the Minnesota Lynx, for those that don't know, we have the best women's basketball team in the world. Year over year, hands down. Which is sad, cause I am sure most of you have no idea what i am talking about....and I sure as hell AM NOT going to sport a Lynx jersey.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2013, 15:05 Jivaro

nin wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 14:49:
I have a cat on twice daily meds that frequently adopts the "dear god, YOU TRIED TO KILL ME" look, despite us going through this routine like clockwork...

Yep. My cat is exactly the same way. Same with car rides. She has been on a billion of them and still acts like I am taking her to her death.

Could be my driving I suppose.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2013, 14:49 nin

Blue wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 13:05:
You cannot underestimate Hudson. She is not highly food-motivated to begin with. Also, she is like the princess and the pea with pills. She can pick through anything but peanut butter and spit the pills out, and after she decided I was trying to poison her with antibiotics

I have a cat on twice daily meds that frequently adopts the "dear god, YOU TRIED TO KILL ME" look, despite us going through this routine like clockwork...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2013, 13:27 Prez

Food-motivated and food aggressive dogs are extremely easy to medicate - just wrap the pill in anything from cheese to a ball of soft cat food. The non-food driven dogs are the tough ones. You basically have two options 1) grind it and sprinkle the powder over their dinner (not really viable when there is more than one dog in the house or the pen) and eventually they will ingest it or 2) Get the dog still, grasp the dog's jaws and force it in from the side of the mouth pushing it as far down the throat as it will go. Do it fast and do it right the first time so it's not overly traumatic for the dog.

We have to do that sometimes with the extremely shy/timid animals or ones that are too sick to have an appetite.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2013, 13:05  Blue 

Ladron3dfx wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 12:49:
Dogs don't like pills (full or part of), it's tricky to make them eat them. I used a pill cutter and stuffed it in a soft treat. Smiley

You cannot underestimate Hudson. She is not highly food-motivated to begin with. Also, she is like the princess and the pea with pills. She can pick through anything but peanut butter and spit the pills out, and after she decided I was trying to poison her with antibiotics, she stopped eating for basically three weeks. She still carefully picks through everything I give her, and refuses to eat peanut butter, and I don't know if I will get her past that.

Believe it or not, she puts up with the pills as I do them better than trying to trick her. She's just too smart and wary to be tricked anymore.

Finding a 24hr pet hospital, just in case of emergency always helps. Wink

I have the number of two places if she has an off-hours emergency. The place to take her to save her, and the closer place to take her to just put her out of her misery. I've discussed with the vet the possibility this will come to that, and while she cannot rule it out, she says most cases like this will involve a slope of decline, rather than a cliff. We will keep assessing her condition in light of that going forward.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2013, 12:58 The Half Elf

I have yet to find a dog that wouldn't eat anything that a slice of cheese was folded around.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo