Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained

Kotaku follows up on last week's release of Dark Matter, noting that many of those who bought the tactical adventure game are unhappy at the way it abruptly ends with no hint before the final battle that the climax of the game is at hand. They link to this YouTube video showing how this plays out to explain the outrage. Publisher Iceberg Interactive has made a statement on the Steam Community Forums explaining that the game would be longer if its Kickstarter campaign had succeeded, but that the "something like 5-9 hours of absorbing and highly entertaining gameplay" should be considered a first episode, and "offers value for money and is an enjoyable gaming experience throughout." They do apologize for the abruptness of the ending, saying work is underway to give the game a more satisfying conclusion. Thanks nin.

View
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

82. Re: Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained Oct 22, 2013, 18:25 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 15:55:
Mad Max RW wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 08:38:
Awww, did I offend some of you?

Instead of trying to provoke a ban, why not just stop coming here if you don't want to be here anymore? It seems to me you would have had to have been a gaming fan at one point since you signed up here; why not stay and talk about gaming and save the politics for the political forums (of which there are many)?

Ditto, and I say that as one of the biggest political brawlers here.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

81. Re: Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained Oct 22, 2013, 15:55 Prez

Instead of trying to provoke a ban, why not just stop coming here if you don't want to be here anymore? It seems to me you would have had to have been a gaming fan at one point since you signed up here; why not stay and talk about gaming and save the politics for the political forums (of which there are many)?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

80. Re: Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained Oct 22, 2013, 11:36 Hellbinder

You are a cartoon character.

The Whales name is Bob.

79. Re: Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained Oct 22, 2013, 11:32 Hellbinder

Cutter wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 00:12:
A picture is worth a thousand words

Tells you everything you need to know about the right-wing.

Don't forget you will be old to one day.

The Whales name is Bob.

78. Re: Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained Oct 22, 2013, 09:57 Kitkoan

No, to offend me you'd have to say something worth saying. Your just annoying.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

77. Re: Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained Oct 22, 2013, 08:38 Mad Max RW

76. Re: Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained Oct 22, 2013, 08:27 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 20:03:
Keep beggin for the ban hammer, and it will come.

We can only hope

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

75. Re: Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained Oct 21, 2013, 20:18 Kitkoan

jdreyer wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 20:03:
Mad Max RW wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 18:39:
Way to take it completely out of context, you liberal coward. But I have to come to expect nothing more from you and your miserable kind.

It won't be soon enough... He's doing the same bs on other threads. Never seen someone so insecure.

74. Re: Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained Oct 21, 2013, 20:03 jdreyer

Mad Max RW wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 18:39:
Way to take it completely out of context, you liberal coward. But I have to come to expect nothing more from you and your miserable kind.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

73. removed Oct 21, 2013, 18:39 Mad Max RW

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Oct 21, 2013, 20:44.

72. Re: Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained Oct 21, 2013, 17:55 Beamer

Kitkoan wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 11:12:
KS wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 10:55:
Kitkoan wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 10:19:
Pr()ZaC wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 10:02:
Does the STEAM description misleads the buyer somehow?
If that's the case, I would want a refund for sure.

Kinda does.

It never mentions that it's not a complete game, but in a post in the forum section the developers clearly state "The idea was then formed to make Dark Matter an episodic series, with episodes selling at a budget price of $14.99. Any further episodes would, however, need to be dependent on the success of the previous instalment. The first instalment is what has launched recently on Steam and is simply called Dark Matter."

This is the only mentioning that it's going to be a episodic game, and isn't found anywhere on the store page.

Episodic is fine, but shouldn't it end with a big boss battle?

Wolf 3D was episodic, purchased separately, and all 6 episodes ended with a boss battle. Quake, too, though that was all one purchase.

The difference between Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Quake and all the rest of those "episodic" games of the 90's is you knew they were episodic from the start (the shareware never hid this part). Dark Matter never mentioned this, and as pointed out, it wasn't mentioned until after the game say being sold and was an excuse to angry customers.

Episodic is fine when you let the customer know that it's an episodic game being sold, not something they refused to mention until the customer is angry and then decide after you have the cash to let them know.

And, unless I misremember, all those episodes were available at launch. Shareware was Episode 1, and other episodes either came in one package and weren't sold separately, or were one price for one and barely more for all.

But you never had to wait between episodes if you had the money.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

71. Re: Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained Oct 21, 2013, 17:47 dj LiTh

Mad Max RW wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 06:56:
dj LiTh wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 00:41:
Mad Max RW wrote on Oct 20, 2013, 23:52:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 20, 2013, 23:48:
Fletch wrote on Oct 20, 2013, 23:24:
The only thing that can remedy his obsession with the black guy in the White House involves a windowless black van, men in white coats, and about 6 months of deprogramming. It's just easier to ignore him.

What a sad existence.
Funny how with the left it always comes down to race. If *insert race* *people oppose idea* automatically *you're racist.*

Odd how many on the right believe that success and failure are based on the person...but that's obviously racist too.

It makes you wonder who the real racists are, doesn't it?

Is this where you link your favorite website with the alternative history of ww2 that paints Adolf Hitler as a good misunderstood guy as you did in the past?

Except I never did that. You must have me confused with a liberal.

Sorry guys, last off topic post from me ever.

Mad Max RW wrote on Aug 18, 2013, 19:05:
Sepharo wrote on Aug 18, 2013, 17:58:
Mad Max RW wrote on Aug 18, 2013, 17:49:
Why am I suddenly a fan of scumbag Putin?

Because you're deranged?

Or maybe he's the only world leader calling Obama on his bullshit bluffs. He makes him look like a little bitch and it's so entertaining. Guess that "reset button" was a bunch of nonsense, eh? Fucking liberal ideologues getting their asses handed to them. And deservedly so.

http://www.tomatobubble.com/putin_obama.html Try not to laugh.

Thats you, and on that site has the 'alternative' history of WW2 which paints your fascist buddy as a saint. Again your completely devoid of reality even on what you post.

Back on topic.

Seeing how this game never had a successful kickstarter and was just shoveled onto steam with everything else, i'd place more blame on steam then on any crowdfunding personally. That said its definitely the consumers responsibility to make an informed decision.

70. Re: Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained Oct 21, 2013, 11:12 Kitkoan

KS wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 10:55:

Kinda does.

It never mentions that it's not a complete game, but in a post in the forum section the developers clearly state "The idea was then formed to make Dark Matter an episodic series, with episodes selling at a budget price of $14.99. Any further episodes would, however, need to be dependent on the success of the previous instalment. The first instalment is what has launched recently on Steam and is simply called Dark Matter."

This is the only mentioning that it's going to be a episodic game, and isn't found anywhere on the store page.

Wolf 3D was episodic, purchased separately, and all 6 episodes ended with a boss battle. Quake, too, though that was all one purchase.

The difference between Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Quake and all the rest of those "episodic" games of the 90's is you knew they were episodic from the start (the shareware never hid this part). Dark Matter never mentioned this, and as pointed out, it wasn't mentioned until after the game say being sold and was an excuse to angry customers.

Episodic is fine when you let the customer know that it's an episodic game being sold, not something they refused to mention until the customer is angry and then decide after you have the cash to let them know.

69. Re: Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained Oct 21, 2013, 10:55 Prez

From what I can see it doesn't mislead anyone. It doesn't claim to have a satisfying conclusion to its story anyway.

If you liked the game up until the point where you go through a nondescript door and the game just stops then you probably at least got your $15-worth out of it. I would expect that you would feel completely unsatisfied and never buy from this developer again unless they made some pretty serious amends.

Not necessarily a boss battle - which is an ancient videogame trope anyway - but at least some sort of climatic event that would mark the end of the chapter.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

68. Re: Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained Oct 21, 2013, 10:55 KS

Kinda does.

67. Re: Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained Oct 21, 2013, 10:46 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 03:37:
Creston wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 01:24:
The Magician wrote on Oct 20, 2013, 21:09:
anyone ever demand someone reewrite a book because the ending sucked? no?

fucking babies

You may want to look up a few minorly known writers such as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, or Agathie Christie, who killed off beloved characters (Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot, respectively), then later did a 180 because of fan outrage.

Please stop with the retarded "WELL NOBODY EVER REWROTE A BOOK BECAUSE FANS DIDN'T LIKE IT!" rhetoric, as it's blatantly false and doesn't even have anything to do with the issue at hand. In order for a book to have a similar effect as this game, it'd have to end mid-sentence on page 243, and then page 244 is just blank. And page 245 has the final legalized crap that the publisher puts in.

Also Tolkien rewrote The Hobbit so that it fit better with the LotR trilogy.

Wow, I was a massive Tolkien fan (Guess I still am, though it's getting harder for me to get through the books), and I never knew that.

66. Re: Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained Oct 21, 2013, 10:45 Creston

Kajetan wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 02:05:
Creston wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 01:16:
Right, but at least when you were fighting the final boss, you knew you were fighting the final boss. The story had led up to that point.
True. The story itself had an end. Gom dead, yay! But the feeling at 3 a.m., starring at the white text on a black screen ... similar to that guys "wtf?" in the video of Dark Matter. But nothing beats "Our princess is in another castle"

Haha, all too true.

65. Re: Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained Oct 21, 2013, 10:29 Trevellian

Kinda does.

They also only posted and mentioned this AFTER people had bought the game. When people where already angry. It's an excuse and nothing more.

Same thing with StarDrive, release the game, it goes on sale, tons of people start buying it because it was supposed to eventually have Multiplayer in it etc. Then the Dev suddenly pretty much tells everyone to suck his testicle and they get what they bought and he's never adding Multi and he's moving on to making another game.

Like I said earlier on in the thread. Avoid anything published by Iceberg Interactive. Apparently they like to hire lazy and toxic Indie Dev's who don't ever plan on finishing their work.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

64. Re: Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained Oct 21, 2013, 10:19 Kitkoan

Kinda does.

63. Re: Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained Oct 21, 2013, 10:02 Pr()ZaC

82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo