Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video

Roberts Space Industries announces Star Citizen crowd-funding has now passed the $23 million mark, unlocking the Xi’an Scout stretch goal. They also announce a $25 million goal of enhanced alpha testing to put the game though its paces better prior to release. There's also a new Wingman's Hangar Episode 42 and an Aurora Brochure with the pitch for this space craft. Finally, on a completely unofficial note, this video shows off a modification for the Hangar module from the upcoming space game that allows the ships in the hangar to be flown, rather than just perused as intended. There's no word on where to get the mod or how this was accomplished beyond the acknowledgment in the description that this is not entirely kosher, saying: "UNOFFICIAL HANGER MOD Star Citizen - Flying in space by charliebrownau, Music from Epic sax video clip that is all over youtube. This clip might get banned, wouldn't be surprised Enjoy while it lasts. Update: MORE FOOTAGE at http://www.twitch.tv/charliebrownau."

View
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

51. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 21, 2013, 04:39 Sleep

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 20, 2013, 17:06:
Sleep wrote on Oct 20, 2013, 16:07:
Dmitri_M wrote on Oct 20, 2013, 15:49:
This game seems to have attracted some real die hard fanboy posters I've never seen around these parts before.

But we've all seen the haters lots.

In the business known as video games, the haters are proven correct more than the lovers. That's because the degree of difficulty to produce a game let alone wrong teams of people running game companies. So it's easy pickings really. My bet is the negative nilly's still want this to be a great game. It's just that they've probably seen this play out more to failure than success.

I think its ignoramce as well. As though 25 million makes a great game automatically. Development wise, even excluding a publisher and reduced marketing costs, its a pittance. I think the original wing commander cost about that.

But the haters will always have something to moan about, there will always be some aspect they can point to and say 'see!' But i always think back to the 'boycott cod steam group' image which showed 90% of them playing cod on the day of release. Talk is cheap, money is a better gauge of commitment, and this game has alot of commitment.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 20, 2013, 21:43 Creston

WaltC wrote on Oct 20, 2013, 11:35:
The problem is that you haven't explained what the benefit is in taking investor money and falsely calling it crowd funding.

Free advertising, for one. Every single week, sites like blues mentions freelancer. While I doubt 15000 people are signing up every week for 90 bucks a piece, I'm sure there are still people signing up every time the game is in the news. If he just had investor funding, he wouldn't get a free mention every week.

Also, since most KS/crowdfund backers have a pretty negative association with investors/publishers, not revealing that part of the funds comes from an investor lessens people's worry, and likely makes them more apt to buy additional items for the game, which leads to more cash for Roberts.

I've never said he's trying to defraud anyone, I have no doubt that he's genuinely got 23 million dollars in the bank that he's going to put into the game.

But NO crowdfunded game ever has had this happen to it, where for months now, every single week another million comes in. And for all the talk how everyone is desperate for another space sim, seriously, the genre never sold this well. It's not just 200,000 fans of space sims we're talking about here. We're talking about 200,000 fans of space sims willing to cough up 90 bucks a piece (on avg) to a large series of promises.

It won't make a difference in the end, and I hope he'll make an awesome game, but I just seriously doubt that ~15000 people every week come to the decision "OMG THIS LOOKS GREAT! I'M DONATING!" when no other game has gotten even half of that numbers of backers, including games in far more popular genres by more famous and more popular devs.

:-shrug-:

49. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 20, 2013, 20:34 MyRealName

"Give us two million dollars more and we'll... test it? Properly? More?"

Testing should not be an afterthought.

48. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 20, 2013, 18:58 Mad Max RW

Cutter wrote on Oct 20, 2013, 12:36:
Slinkycatz wrote on Oct 20, 2013, 12:15:
Cutter...

You've left the realm of healthy skepticism and into the realm of using conspiracy theories to defend your belief. How much farther are you going to go? Are you going to keep attacking the game even if it releases and thrives for a decade, just because of a need to be right?

How closely have you looked at this game? How many times have you visited the site and read the forums? Have you watched any Wingman's Hangar episodes? Have you kept track of the fluctuations in donations?

I do like your skepticism in other threads, you make excellent points. Sometimes, you need to turn that skepticism around on yourself.

I appreciate that but that's where you and I disagree. Like any good ponzi scheme the idea is to see constant returns that are healthy but not outrageous enough to trigger suspicion. So given how recent and small crowdfunding is to see this sort of pattern should raise a lot of skepticism if not outright alarm bells. And as JV points out, - again like a ponzi scheme - it's private. There's no third party verifying any of this. They can easily be pulling numbers out of their ass or moving them around however they please to spin it to you the consumer. No, if anything, some of you need to be a lot more critical in your thinking on this and not quite so wishful in your thinking.

I love space sims, but Roberts has shown me nothing that says I should trust him, and has in fact done quite the opposite by obfuscating so many concrete details. A year ago when I called SWOTOR a 300 million dollar failure before launch the fanboys went off on me then too. Well, we see how that worked out, right? No, my skepticism is very healthy and very objective, for some of you? Not so much.

Whatever, don't take my word for it. But when the rubber hits the road you just remember who called it.

Why don't you ask King Obama to look into it for you?

47. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 20, 2013, 17:29 HorrorScope

Ryan Lange wrote on Oct 20, 2013, 17:23:
Most human endeavors end in failure. That still doesn't justify the self-importance that haters assign to themselves. Nor does it make the attitude beneficial in any way.

Critics play a role, perhaps it doesn't benefit the producer, perhaps the producer in many cases doesn't deserve to benefit. The self importance part I agree, I'm not keeping score to a point I say "remember when I", yeah who gives a fuck about that besides the megalomaniac?

46. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 20, 2013, 17:23 Ryan Lange

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 20, 2013, 17:06:
In the business known as video games, the haters are proven correct more than the lovers.

Most human endeavors end in failure. That still doesn't justify the self-importance that haters assign to themselves. Nor does it make the attitude beneficial in any way.

45. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 20, 2013, 17:06 HorrorScope

Sleep wrote on Oct 20, 2013, 16:07:
This game seems to have attracted some real die hard fanboy posters I've never seen around these parts before.

In the business known as video games, the haters are proven correct more than the lovers. That's because the degree of difficulty to produce a game let alone wrong teams of people running game companies. So it's easy pickings really. My bet is the negative nilly's still want this to be a great game. It's just that they've probably seen this play out more to failure than success.

44. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 20, 2013, 16:52 Slinkycatz

Whatever, don't take my word for it. But when the rubber hits the road you just remember who called it.

I'll be happy to concede if it turns out you're right.

People have been tracking the crowdfunding since its start. My personal observation is that the $ took a big jump once Star Citizen was shown at Gamescon in Germany. Here is the data if you wish to check for discrepancies;

Crowdfunding tracker

43. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 20, 2013, 16:36 Ryan Lange

WaltC wrote on Oct 20, 2013, 11:35:
The problem is that you haven't explained what the benefit is in taking investor money and falsely calling it crowd funding.

This. The so-called skepticism some people are sharing here amounts to not much more than, "They're robbing you of your money. Stay away, or you're an idiot."

But the worst activity that these pseudo-skeptics are claiming RSI is engaging in is passing off investor money as crowd funding. Outside of the basic wrongness of the alleged deception, they've given no reason why this means the entire thing is one big fraud.

Even if that were the case, RSI still has $23+ million to spend on Star Citizen, regardless of the source.

The point of RSI going for a fully crowd-funded game was so that they wouldn't be shackled by the more corporate investors and essentially forced to ignore much community feedback in order to keep those funds. If RSI isn't listening to community feedback, that could qualify as evidence for this alleged conspiracy. However, I've heard nothing indicating that they're significantly ignoring the community (the FPS aspect might qualify, but that's about it).

And, again, if RSI is engaging in this deception and still listening to community feedback... where's the problem?

If these conspiracy theorists want to imply that much of the $23 million doesn't actually exist--that RSI is inflating the number in an attempt to fraudulently convince regular folks to contribute to a low quality project--then they need to say that.

If these conspiracy theorists want to imply that RSI is going to run off with much of the $23 million, then they need to say that.

But if these conspiracy theorists are simply going to claim that the $23 million is all very real and that RSI continues to listen to the community, with the worst aspect being that not all of that $23 million is crowd funding despite RSI's claims... then the problem rests within themselves.

42. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 20, 2013, 16:18 Sleep

Ryan Lange wrote on Oct 20, 2013, 16:12:
jacobvandy wrote on Oct 20, 2013, 11:05:
And I'm sorry, but the "average pledge" doesn't mean anything in this case... It would be just as easy for them to do 10,000 fake $100 pledges in their system versus 10 $100,000 pledges or 1 $1,000,000 pledge. Kickstarter acts as an unbiased third-party that helps investigate such fraud, but when they're running their own website and handling all the money directly, they can easily make shit up.

But to what end? What's the point?

apparently its a ponzi that isnt a ponzi because investors arent getting a dividend paid from new investors but a notional return of a spaceship they can play... Money laundering? OMG CHRIS ROBERTS IS LAUNDERING DRUG MONEY, think of the children you bastard!

41. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 20, 2013, 16:12 Ryan Lange

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 20, 2013, 11:05:
And I'm sorry, but the "average pledge" doesn't mean anything in this case... It would be just as easy for them to do 10,000 fake $100 pledges in their system versus 10 $100,000 pledges or 1 $1,000,000 pledge. Kickstarter acts as an unbiased third-party that helps investigate such fraud, but when they're running their own website and handling all the money directly, they can easily make shit up.

But to what end? What's the point?

40. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 20, 2013, 16:07 Sleep

39. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 20, 2013, 15:49 Dmitri_M

38. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 20, 2013, 15:48 Graham

And what kind of crow do we get to watch you eat if you're wrong?

37. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 20, 2013, 15:44 Graham

NKD wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 20:37:
Graham wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 20:23:

They hit $20-million long ago, why keep pouring fake funding in?

Long ago? You mean just over 2 weeks ago?

Sorry, but crowdfunded stuff like this follows a particular funding pattern. You don't rake in a consistent million bucks a week just off random Internet donations months after your campaign begins.

I was unaware you had a degree in crowd funding economics. You have such a rich history of projects to draw from!

Maybe this is happening for the first time because it's happening for the first time? I love the idea that "this has to be fake because crowd funding just doesn't work this way..." The logic is so circular you could use it as a ball bearing.

36. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 20, 2013, 13:56 Kajetan

rist3903 wrote on Oct 20, 2013, 13:19:
I am concerned that these stretch goals are going to take the developer's eyes off what is truly important in this game, however.
These "stretch goals" arent really stretch goals added after the final project draft. Roberts several times explained, that all "stretch goals" were already layed out in the design document. They are only "stretch goals" in a sense, that now the complete (!) game is financed with crowdfunding money, that all (!) features can be added and he does not need to gather the rest of the budget with traditional means like banks or venture capital investors.

And for those who fear a second Flagship ... Flagship was drowned in publisher money, a LOT MORE money than only a meager 23 mio dollars. There is enough money to make a decent, highly polished game, but not enough to go wild on EXPENSIVE!!!! CGI trailers which werent used in the game or a planned comic book series.

35. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 20, 2013, 13:19 rist3903

Nothing succeeds like success. Because so many people have donated to this it is getting a lot of attention, and due to that more are wanting it to succeed and thus shelling out.

I am concerned that these stretch goals are going to take the developer's eyes off what is truly important in this game, however.

34. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 20, 2013, 12:42 Taskeen

Tom wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 23:17:
Taskeen wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 22:40:
Uh Oleg just successfully funded a DCS WW2 module. And many of the IL-2 devs are now creating IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad. Still there, and we're still paying em, and playing their games.

Not Oleg, Ilya.

Oleg is on the same team bro, just not the lead.

33. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 20, 2013, 12:36 Cutter

Cutter...

You've left the realm of healthy skepticism and into the realm of using conspiracy theories to defend your belief. How much farther are you going to go? Are you going to keep attacking the game even if it releases and thrives for a decade, just because of a need to be right?

How closely have you looked at this game? How many times have you visited the site and read the forums? Have you watched any Wingman's Hangar episodes? Have you kept track of the fluctuations in donations?

I do like your skepticism in other threads, you make excellent points. Sometimes, you need to turn that skepticism around on yourself.

I appreciate that but that's where you and I disagree. Like any good ponzi scheme the idea is to see constant returns that are healthy but not outrageous enough to trigger suspicion. So given how recent and small crowdfunding is to see this sort of pattern should raise a lot of skepticism if not outright alarm bells. And as JV points out, - again like a ponzi scheme - it's private. There's no third party verifying any of this. They can easily be pulling numbers out of their ass or moving them around however they please to spin it to you the consumer. No, if anything, some of you need to be a lot more critical in your thinking on this and not quite so wishful in your thinking.

I love space sims, but Roberts has shown me nothing that says I should trust him, and has in fact done quite the opposite by obfuscating so many concrete details. A year ago when I called SWOTOR a 300 million dollar failure before launch the fanboys went off on me then too. Well, we see how that worked out, right? No, my skepticism is very healthy and very objective, for some of you? Not so much.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

32. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 20, 2013, 12:15 Slinkycatz

Cutter...

51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo