Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Into the Black

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Into the Black Oct 19, 2013, 12:30 El Pit

That Steam Account family sharing is working great. I had to log in to my Steam account on my nephew's computer which I then authorized as a device. He's got now my games as a new category in his Steam games list. He can play them even when I'm logged in to Steam on my computer, but as soon as I start a game (any Steam game), a notice pops up on his screen telling him that he got 5 minutes to save his game and stop playing (or buying the game). So, he's eager now to keep me away from my computer.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Into the Black Oct 19, 2013, 12:23 nin

There are some moments, when I'm hugging and cuddling my dogs and think of how much I love them, that I have a brief moment and think of just how fucking much it will hurt to lose them.

Yes, it's important to remember you will lose them, to treasure them now. Whenever my dog bumps my arm wanting a pat while I'm reading or gaming, I remember that someday I'd give anything to be able to pat her again.

Just like to echo both of those. I've had one who I got 17 years out of, and two that unfortunately died much younger. I try to remember that no length of time is guaranteed, and to use the time wisely that we have. One I have right now is very much my 4 legged kid, and I dread the day something happens, as I don't know how I'm going to go on.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

8. Re: Into the Black Oct 19, 2013, 12:23 El Pit

And no Saturday update up to now. I hope nothing bad happened.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

7. Re: Into the Black Oct 19, 2013, 03:08 jdreyer

Yeah, an Into the Black without a link is disconcerting, to say the least. Maybe no one sent in anything funny? I'm hoping it's just that...  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

6. Re: Into the Black Oct 19, 2013, 02:19 mag

Cutter wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 00:04:
I too picked the Giants because they can't go 0-7 can they? Cereal? I mean the law of freakin averages says they're past due for a win at this point. Then again I picked the Cards because I though they were close to the Seahawks and homefield advantage would nudge them by. So maybe the Giants can go winless this season!

Yeah, I really don't know. I mean, Eli's been a champ this year. He goes out there and sucks as hard as he can every week, and he's doing a damn fine job of it. But if we look at the last few years, occasionally he fails to suck in a pretty spectacular way, and I'm worried that he's just not going to be able to suck as bad as the Vikes this week.

5. Re: Into the Black Oct 19, 2013, 00:04 Cutter

I too picked the Giants because they can't go 0-7 can they? Cereal? I mean the law of freakin averages says they're past due for a win at this point. Then again I picked the Cards because I though they were close to the Seahawks and homefield advantage would nudge them by. So maybe the Giants can go winless this season!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4. Re: Into the Black Oct 18, 2013, 23:26 PhysicalEd

Yes, it's important to remember you will lose them, to treasure them now. Whenever my dog bumps my arm wanting a pat while I'm reading or gaming, I remember that someday I'd give anything to be able to pat her again. I had a Golden who used to love belly rubs, she'd roll on her back and look at you expectantly. I'd stop whatever I was doing to give her a good rub, and I'm happy to be able to look back and know I didn't pass up those precious moments.  

3. Re: Into the Black Oct 18, 2013, 22:56 Creston

There are some moments, when I'm hugging and cuddling my dogs and think of how much I love them, that I have a brief moment and think of just how fucking much it will hurt to lose them.

But hopefully that is a long way off. And like I said before, that inevitable terrible grief still doesn't weigh up in any way, shape or form to the sheer fun and happiness they bring to my lives. I've had dogs almost all my life, said goodbye to many of them already, remember all of them with love, and will continue to have them until the day I either die, or get too old to take care of one.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2013, 21:36 Rigs

Maybe he chose the Giants this week and is on his way down to proudly sit with me in hopeful defiance of all common sense on the SS Gigantic Titanic? Or maybe I'm just becoming delusional from lack of oxygen (not to mention sunlight)...

All joking aside, I can understand exactly what Blue is enduring right now, not just with the immediate illness and uncertainty but with the looming inevitable, heart-wrenching future. It's always great to get a new puppy or kitten and you don't really think about what's going to happen years down the line because you're so occupied with getting them through those frantic early years. We have a brown poodle/lhasa apso-mix named 'Snickers' who we got roughly six months before my daughter was born. She'll be 16 in little over a month!

So that makes Snickers 16 and a half already. He's almost completely blind and nearly totally deaf. In fact, while before it seemed some days he could see better than others, the last week or so it's as if his sight has been completely lost as he bumps into everything now and has to be guided while outside else he'll wonder off. He still has a pretty good sense of smell, but it doesn't have a long range apparently. Unless it's right in front of him, he doesn't know it exists. In addition we've been trying to get him free of worms for months but nothing we do seems to help and as such he's pretty much skin and bones, even though he eats fine and drinks water by the gallon. He has to wear a diaper at all times as he's lost a lot of control of his bladder. In spite of all of this, though, you would be shocked to see how energetic and spunky this dog is! He doesn't leave my Mom's side and when she walks off, his nose is to the ground and he doesn't stop until he finds her. If she goes out and he can't find her after about 20 minutes, he starts howling LOUDLY until she comes back home. And when she does get back, he jumps and runs around as if he were a puppy again! I truly don't know what's keeping him going but he is, nevertheless. Some days are obviously better than others, and there have been times when we thought that he might not be 'here' when we got up the next morning. But he is, bright and early at 7am, jumping on my Mom's bed to get her up. I have no idea how he knows what time it is either but he does. As much as that dog drives me absolutely crazy, I have to admit he surprises me all the time with his will to keep going...

It sounds like Hudson is in the same category! Best of luck, Blue! I know these times aren't easy, by any means, but there are people here that totally understand what you're dealing with...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Oct 18, 2013, 23:40.

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

1. Re: Into the Black Oct 18, 2013, 21:24 nin

Empty ItB - Hope the dog's ok?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo