Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Arkham Games Ditch GFWL

A Steam Community Announcement tells us that Batman Arkham Asylum and Batman Arkham City are dropping Windows Live services in favor of Steamworks verification (thanks Clever Caviar). The games are on sale to celebrate, and here's the deal:

Dear Batman Arkham Fans - Microsoft has begun the process of closing down Windows Live services over the next year. To make sure there is no interrupted service, we will be moving the game to Steam for verification and update services for both the Base and GOTY versions of Batman Arkham Asylum and Batman Arkham City.

If you purchased either of the games on Steam all you have to do is let Steam download the latest patch and you will be fine.

If you purchased the games somewhere else you will need to enter the code in Steam. (You can find steps to do this on the bottom of this.

Unfortunately, you will not be able to continue playing from your current save. You will need to start a new game.

Going forward you do not have to worry about where you stored that disc. If you switch computers or go to a friend’s house you simply need to download Steam, log into your account, then go to the library and select to install your game.

The following link can be used to learn more about Steam and to download Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/about/

To enter your CD Key in Steam please do the following:

1. Click ADD A GAME....

2. Select Activate a Product on Steam..

3. Click Next.

4. Click I Agree.

5. Enter your CD Key and select next once the game finishes downloading you will be able to play the game.

View
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

51. Re: Arkham Games Ditch GFWL Oct 19, 2013, 09:49 Quinn

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 02:05:
Quinn wrote on Oct 18, 2013, 15:26:
Wtf, why isn't my game key working..? Anything obvious I could doing wrong?

If you read the comments on the steam announcement you'll see you are not the only one having this issue... lots and I mean nearly everyone with "original" (pre-order or bought when the game was out) retail keys has this problem.

Here is official steam reply -
http://steamcommunity.com/app/200260/discussions/0/810938810659179083/

Thanks for the headsup!

lol, that response has a real "ffs, we can't be arsed with this shit" ring to it somehow

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. Re: Arkham Games Ditch GFWL Oct 19, 2013, 02:05 eRe4s3r

Quinn wrote on Oct 18, 2013, 15:26:

If you read the comments on the steam announcement you'll see you are not the only one having this issue... lots and I mean nearly everyone with "original" (pre-order or bought when the game was out) retail keys has this problem.

Here is official steam reply -
http://steamcommunity.com/app/200260/discussions/0/810938810659179083/

49. Re: Arkham Games Ditch GFWL Oct 18, 2013, 16:02 TheEmissary

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 18, 2013, 04:54:
Dev wrote on Oct 18, 2013, 02:51:
Well with the new directx requiring windows 8.1, wouldn't surprise me if MS started sponsoring games if they require that crap. More shoehorning ahead.
Meh. The new DX has less features than the update of OGL from 3.0 to 3.1. And what it "does" do, is already covered via drivers from both AMD and nVidia. And really the "tiled resource" isn't anywhere near as good as AMD's mantle system.

The tiled resource isn't new it was on the XBOX360. All it is just a way to use a small amount of extremely fast memory to make up for the slow system memory. The 360 and Xbox One have ESDRAM for this purprose. They ported this over to PC probably to simplify the porting process for the xbox one games and or streaming resources. Its not really needed when you have GPUs with 1.5 to 6GB of DDR5 memory.

Carmack also compared this to his OpenGL MegaTexture technique that he used in Quake 4 and RAGE as well.

This comment was edited on Oct 18, 2013, 16:10.

48. Re: Arkham Games Ditch GFWL Oct 18, 2013, 15:27 Quinn

Numinar wrote on Oct 18, 2013, 05:58:
Anyone know if they fixed that nasty crash on NVIDIA cards during the Freeze fight? That totally bummed me out, was so getting into this game again.

Not even annoyed I have to start again, just don't want to get all the way to that sequence again just to have the blocker hit me.

I mentioned a fix not too long ago, mate. Check my comments history and you'll find it soon enough!

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

47. Re: Arkham Games Ditch GFWL Oct 18, 2013, 15:26 Quinn

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

46. Re: Arkham Games Ditch GFWL Oct 18, 2013, 12:29 Jerykk

Ladron3dfx wrote on Oct 18, 2013, 09:52:
Dear Batman Arkham Fans - Microsoft has begun the process of closing down Windows Live services over the next year

http://goo.gl/3Zn2cm

Yesterday, an Age of Empires support web page communicated that the free to play Age of Empires Online will be discontinued on July 1, 2014. We believe in Windows/PC gaming and have long-term plans to grow our support. We expect there to be transitions as we build out new investments, but we remain committed to bringing first party gaming services and games to Windows for years to come. We will share more details in the future

The GFWL service continues to operate as before, no interruptions and I know of no future interruptions. I use it almost daily and imho it works perfectly fine.

Whatever Steam users want that's perfectly fine with me. It's their choice of service and they shouldn't be burdened with an unneeded extra layer of DRM. Choice, to choose and not be forced.

Complimentary Steam activation, no thanks. Wink

That's just PR speak for "Yes, we are shutting down GFWL but please continue giving us money." If GFWL wasn't going to be shut down, publishers and developers wouldn't be removing it from their games.

45. Re: Arkham Games Ditch GFWL Oct 18, 2013, 11:39 Verno

Dark Souls has a very active community on the PC and should really be saved though I don't expect Namco-Bandai to do it.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

44. Re: Arkham Games Ditch GFWL Oct 18, 2013, 11:04 nin

Prez wrote on Oct 18, 2013, 10:35:
I am liking this trend a lot, though I`m guessing Steam detractors are not.

It's funny as hell to watch, though.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

43. Re: Arkham Games Ditch GFWL Oct 18, 2013, 10:48 MoreLuckThanSkill

Ugh, Fallout 3 had GFWL? It's been awhile since I've played through that, I had forgotten. Hopefully that gets patched out before I get another roaming the wasteland urge.

Also, need to speed up my Dark Souls/DoW 2 playthroughs; damn you, bargain Steam sales!

42. Re: Arkham Games Ditch GFWL Oct 18, 2013, 10:35 Prez

I am liking this trend a lot, though I`m guessing Steam detractors are not.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

41. Re: Arkham Games Ditch GFWL Oct 18, 2013, 10:29 nin

According to this, there are still thousands of people playing GTA IV and Dark Souls every day. I think there's a patch or something to de-GFWL GTA IV but haven't tried it.

I used one I believe was called xliveless (not at home in front of the computer at the moment), and while it mostly worked, there were some settings I still had to tweak every time I launched the game (think it was inversing one of the sticks and I don't remember the other two), as it didn't save those settings.

I would expect R* to update it, and would be very surprised if they didn't.

40. Re: Arkham Games Ditch GFWL Oct 18, 2013, 10:27 fiftykyu

ViRGE wrote on Oct 18, 2013, 05:51:
So how many major games are left with GFWL? Off of of the top of my head I can think of GTA IV, Dead Rising 2, various Codemasters racing games, Resident Evil 5, and Street Fighter (whose next edition drops GFWL anyhow). Am I missing anything important?

Don't know which of the following you would call major, but poking around in the library I found Dark Souls, Fable III, Fallout 3, Kane & Lynch: Dead Men and Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War II.

According to this, there are still thousands of people playing GTA IV and Dark Souls every day. I think there's a patch or something to de-GFWL GTA IV but haven't tried it.

Hmm, aside from the various challenges people make for themselves, the online aspect is probably the reason most of us are still playing Dark Souls. Currently, you can play offline when your network connection is broken, but it's just not the same game. Seeing ghostly images of other players, messages on the ground, blood stains, being invaded, pvp, dressing up as your favourite characters, helping someone fight a boss, random goofy stuff like three people all doing the Channeler's Trident dance together, etc.

But when GFWL stops working next year, will the game still run? I've not seen it asked in any of FromSoft's Dark Souls 2 interviews, so I'm not even sure they are aware of the issue.

39. Re: Arkham Games Ditch GFWL Oct 18, 2013, 09:52 Ladron3dfx

Dear Batman Arkham Fans - Microsoft has begun the process of closing down Windows Live services over the next year

http://goo.gl/3Zn2cm

Yesterday, an Age of Empires support web page communicated that the free to play Age of Empires Online will be discontinued on July 1, 2014. We believe in Windows/PC gaming and have long-term plans to grow our support. We expect there to be transitions as we build out new investments, but we remain committed to bringing first party gaming services and games to Windows for years to come. We will share more details in the future

The GFWL service continues to operate as before, no interruptions and I know of no future interruptions. I use it almost daily and imho it works perfectly fine.

Whatever Steam users want that's perfectly fine with me. It's their choice of service and they shouldn't be burdened with an unneeded extra layer of DRM. Choice, to choose and not be forced.

Complimentary Steam activation, no thanks. Wink

Steamworks

38. Re: Arkham Games Ditch GFWL Oct 18, 2013, 09:17 nin

Also, it doesn't look good right now for Capcom games:

We are still not 100% what is going to happen regarding the winding-down of Games For Windows Live.

It should be possible to keep playing and saving until the end of Games For Windows Live - please keep checking regularly on www.capcom-unity.com for news as we progress.

I can't say I'm surprised.

37. Re: Arkham Games Ditch GFWL Oct 18, 2013, 08:55 MoonSpook

Numinar wrote on Oct 18, 2013, 05:58:
Anyone know if they fixed that nasty crash on NVIDIA cards during the Freeze fight? That totally bummed me out, was so getting into this game again.

Not even annoyed I have to start again, just don't want to get all the way to that sequence again just to have the blocker hit me.

I've never experienced that. I played through twice (and bought it a month after release) on a now-retired GTS 450. So either it's fixed or it didn't affect my card.

Very glad they're doing this, and glad they're throwing the DLC in too. However, retails CDs aren't activating yet (despite what they're saying), so hopefully they'll sort that over the weekend.

Also, it doesn't look good right now for Capcom games:
We are still not 100% what is going to happen regarding the winding-down of Games For Windows Live.

It should be possible to keep playing and saving until the end of Games For Windows Live - please keep checking regularly on www.capcom-unity.com for news as we progress.

36. Re: Arkham Games Ditch GFWL Oct 18, 2013, 07:32 Mad Max RW

Thank God. GFWL was such a miserable experience for me in the first Batman I skipped Arkham City entirely. Not recognizing my login info for whatever reason, waiting to update, failing to login, updating again, searching through pages for an obscure link to play the game without having to login, game tries to login and fails every single time I startup anyway, finally play hours later.

Getting around it in GTA4 was as simple as downloading a custom patch. I don't give two shits about achievements or some lame ass "social club" gimmicks.

35. Re: Arkham Games Ditch GFWL Oct 18, 2013, 07:03 Clever Caviar

ViRGE wrote on Oct 18, 2013, 05:51:
So how many major games are left with GFWL? Off of of the top of my head I can think of GTA IV, Dead Rising 2, various Codemasters racing games, Resident Evil 5, and Street Fighter (whose next edition drops GFWL anyhow). Am I missing anything important?

in addition to the above, and what I own:

Dark Souls, Prepare to Reload Your Game.
Virtua Tennis 4
Fallout 3 and packs.

be glad to see the back of GFWL on all please, in addition to GTA4

edit:(Dark, not Dead...)

This comment was edited on Oct 18, 2013, 07:12.

::
Rockstar made $1 billion in 3 days with GTAV, yet they can't find the budget to port RDR to PC.

34. Re: Arkham Games Ditch GFWL Oct 18, 2013, 05:58 Numinar

33. Re: Arkham Games Ditch GFWL Oct 18, 2013, 05:51 ViRGE

32. Re: Arkham Games Ditch GFWL Oct 18, 2013, 04:54 Mashiki Amiketo

Dev wrote on Oct 18, 2013, 02:51:
Well with the new directx requiring windows 8.1, wouldn't surprise me if MS started sponsoring games if they require that crap. More shoehorning ahead.
Meh. The new DX has less features than the update of OGL from 3.0 to 3.1. And what it "does" do, is already covered via drivers from both AMD and nVidia. And really the "tiled resource" isn't anywhere near as good as AMD's mantle system.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo