Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Legal Briefs

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 18, 2013, 08:45 gray

JoeNapalm wrote on Oct 17, 2013, 16:35:
Xero wrote on Oct 17, 2013, 16:08:
It's interesting how Blizz claimed in court that clients do not own WoW but rather it's licensed to each user. Next time you think of buying Blizz's WoW collectors, just know, you bought a collector's edition licensed usage, lol. You don't own it! Then again, I think anything that is online only could be said that way practically.

I hate to be the one to burst your bubble, there, but you don't own ANY of the software on your system.

You paid for a license to install and use it, but you don't own it.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

That's only true in the US of course. EULAs stating otherwise are invalid in the EU for example.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 17, 2013, 20:48 Shok

Panickd wrote on Oct 17, 2013, 20:18:
Cutter wrote on Oct 17, 2013, 12:56:
Panickd wrote on Oct 17, 2013, 11:58:
One day one of these bot companies is going to pop up in Russia or China and Blizzard will win in court like they always do and the company is going to tell Blizzard to go fuck itself and laugh while watching Blizzard attempt to enforce the ruling.

They'll just cut them off by IP blocking them and banning whoever uses the product - as they do now.

They ban accounts. IP blocking would be idiotic since most ISPs dynamically allocate them and that would mean you risk blocking some player who did nothing wrong. And it's not like the creator of the bot is going to give a shit if a few people get their accounts banned for violating Blizzard's ToS if he's already got their money. This is a losing battle for Blizzard. Every time they shutter one group building bots for WoW a new one pops up to take it's place.

Not to mention blocking IP's would be pointless when all you'd need to do is log into a VPN to get a new IP...

8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 17, 2013, 20:18 Panickd

One day one of these bot companies is going to pop up in Russia or China and Blizzard will win in court like they always do and the company is going to tell Blizzard to go fuck itself and laugh while watching Blizzard attempt to enforce the ruling.

They'll just cut them off by IP blocking them and banning whoever uses the product - as they do now.

They ban accounts. IP blocking would be idiotic since most ISPs dynamically allocate them and that would mean you risk blocking some player who did nothing wrong. And it's not like the creator of the bot is going to give a shit if a few people get their accounts banned for violating Blizzard's ToS if he's already got their money. This is a losing battle for Blizzard. Every time they shutter one group building bots for WoW a new one pops up to take it's place.

7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 17, 2013, 16:39 Beamer

It's interesting how Blizz claimed in court that clients do not own WoW but rather it's licensed to each user. Next time you think of buying Blizz's WoW collectors, just know, you bought a collector's edition licensed usage, lol. You don't own it! Then again, I think anything that is online only could be said that way practically.

I think it's hard to argue when it's an MMORPG like this. I mean, the game exists on the server, not the DVD. If that server goes then you have nothing.

It's like buying a season pass to Six Flags. Sure, your season pass may include a collector's edition towel, but you do not own the roller coaster, you just have a revokable pass to ride it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 17, 2013, 16:35 JoeNapalm

I hate to be the one to burst your bubble, there, but you don't own ANY of the software on your system.

You paid for a license to install and use it, but you don't own it.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 17, 2013, 16:08 Xero

Currently playing: Skyrim

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 17, 2013, 13:21 Wallshadows

They only ban the account. Blocking the IP address could potentially allow others within the household to be unable to play, it's far too easy to bypass due to dynamic addresses provided by the ISP, and it's not in their interest to shut down a system that could provide another future sale.

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 17, 2013, 12:56 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 17, 2013, 11:58 Panickd

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 17, 2013, 09:31 Pigeon

Good for Blizzard, bots suck. I doubt it'll have a tremendous effect, but at least its something.  

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo