Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Legal Briefs

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 16, 2013, 21:19 RollinThundr

InBlack wrote on Oct 16, 2013, 07:00:
The 99% are being pushed into bondage. Slavery. Whatever you like to call it. I think its time for those french Guilllotines to get pulled out of storage and heads need to roll. You can blame Obama if you want but he is just a puppet. Just like Bush was. The worst part is that the people who are really pulling the strings (not only in the US mind you) are not directly involved in politics, and anyone who wants to make a career in politics needs to be a 'yes man' for those shady interests. So the whole system is fucked from top to bottom.

No I don't solely blame him, as much as I'm obviously not a fan of liberals in general, I'm not stupid enough to think the republicans aren't just as guilty. Bush did sign the patriot act in the first place.

Though what I'm more worried about neither one had anything to do with to begin with. What I'd like to know is just how long these secret courts have gone on, and also how long the NSA has obviously been allowed to run completely unchecked.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 16, 2013, 07:00 InBlack

The 99% are being pushed into bondage. Slavery. Whatever you like to call it. I think its time for those french Guilllotines to get pulled out of storage and heads need to roll. You can blame Obama if you want but he is just a puppet. Just like Bush was. The worst part is that the people who are really pulling the strings (not only in the US mind you) are not directly involved in politics, and anyone who wants to make a career in politics needs to be a 'yes man' for those shady interests. So the whole system is fucked from top to bottom.

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2013, 07:08.

I have a nifty blue line!

15. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 15, 2013, 19:30 [VG]Reagle

I wonder if the FISC Court has copies of the constitution in the bathroom so they can use it to wipe with?  

I am MUCH MUCH better now.

14. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 15, 2013, 18:00 Redmask

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 15, 2013, 15:36:
Shame that Obama is too much a narcissist to do anything but blame everyone aside from himself.

He doesn't really need to work hard to blame himself when so many others are well deserving.

13. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 15, 2013, 17:38 Julio

avianflu wrote on Oct 15, 2013, 16:10:
I am not so sure our current pres is actually steering the car. more like big banks and corporations, with a big dab of oil interests somewhere.

He's steering the car on behalf of corporations. Meet the current president, same as the old president.

12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 15, 2013, 17:31 jdreyer

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 15, 2013, 15:36:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 15, 2013, 15:10:
Yeah, this is just the gov't trying to get the SCOTUS not to take the case. But the SCOTUS will make up its own mind, and a tactic like this could backfire. That being said, there are lots of cases where the SCOTUS says "This shouldn't be handled by the court, it should be fixed legislatively." Like they did with the ACA.

Which is a shame given that the ACA directly violates the commerce clause and in turn violates the Constitution.

This administration is the most dangerous in my life time, never before have I see a president be such a failure when it comes to leading or at the least making an effort to get work done.

Shame that Obama is too much a narcissist to do anything but blame everyone aside from himself.

You lay the blame where it falls. We've never had a minority party engage in this level of obstruction. Ever. That's just facts, Thundr. #dealwithit

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

11. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 15, 2013, 17:29 jdreyer

avianflu wrote on Oct 15, 2013, 16:10:
I am not so sure our current pres is actually steering the car.

more like big banks and corporations, with a big dab of oil interests somewhere.

Well, yeah. The government at this point is functioning mostly as a corporatocracy/oligarchy. Empirical evidence shows that congress passes most laws in favor of business/the rich. Regardless of party.

10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 15, 2013, 16:10 avianflu

I am not so sure our current pres is actually steering the car.

more like big banks and corporations, with a big dab of oil interests somewhere.

9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 15, 2013, 15:36 RollinThundr

jdreyer wrote on Oct 15, 2013, 15:10:
Yeah, this is just the gov't trying to get the SCOTUS not to take the case. But the SCOTUS will make up its own mind, and a tactic like this could backfire. That being said, there are lots of cases where the SCOTUS says "This shouldn't be handled by the court, it should be fixed legislatively." Like they did with the ACA.

Which is a shame given that the ACA directly violates the commerce clause and in turn violates the Constitution.

This administration is the most dangerous in my life time, never before have I see a president be such a failure when it comes to leading or at the least making an effort to get work done.

8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 15, 2013, 15:10 jdreyer

7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 15, 2013, 15:02 NegaDeath

Speaking as a Canadian I am really getting worried for you guys. Both for your personal privacy and for the fact my govt likes to mimic what yours does most of the time.  

6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 15, 2013, 13:14 eRe4s3r

I wonder that too I am guessing supreme court judge is a position for life but getting that job likely requires that they are sucking up to some major political power.

Maybe someone here knows how exactly that works. Either way imo gov has absolutely no right to tell, advise or even suggest ANYTHING to the highest court of a nation. European Court of Justice and German Supreme court at least, are politically independent, but how independent is the selection process for who gets to be judge?

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 15, 2013, 13:02 Quboid

Are they their bosses? If so, the separation of power is already long gone.  

- Quboid

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 15, 2013, 12:59 eRe4s3r

Quboid wrote on Oct 15, 2013, 12:57:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 15, 2013, 10:14:
How exactly can the government dictate what a court does anyway ? Last I checked the separation of power was a pretty big thing in the western world.

They're not dictating, they're asking. This paragraph (emphasis mine) is key:
Now Solicitor General Donald Verrilli, who represents the Obama Administration at the Supreme Court, has advised the justices not to take the case. It's not a surprising move. Just the publicity of a Supreme Court debate over NSA spying would be a giant headache for the administration; not to mention, the government obviously doesn't want the program shut down.

As far as I can see, this is just them panicking at the chickens coming home to roost. They're asking the US Supreme Court not to take up the case because that would be really, really inconvenient. (And funny, but they won't see it that way.)

When I am your boss and I am advising you to work more or "I'd get a giant headache" is that still an advise? Seems more like a hidden threat.

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 15, 2013, 12:57 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 15, 2013, 10:14:
How exactly can the government dictate what a court does anyway ? Last I checked the separation of power was a pretty big thing in the western world.

They're not dictating, they're asking. This paragraph (emphasis mine) is key:
Now Solicitor General Donald Verrilli, who represents the Obama Administration at the Supreme Court, has advised the justices not to take the case. It's not a surprising move. Just the publicity of a Supreme Court debate over NSA spying would be a giant headache for the administration; not to mention, the government obviously doesn't want the program shut down.

As far as I can see, this is just them panicking at the chickens coming home to roost. They're asking the US Supreme Court not to take up the case because that would be really, really inconvenient. (And funny, but they won't see it that way.)

- Quboid

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 15, 2013, 12:27 Narf2029

Some people in our government are trying to change where the lines are in that separation of power. Basically they want one line, where they are on one side and the population is on the other.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 15, 2013, 10:14 eRe4s3r

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo