Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

AR/VR Headset Kickstarter

Here's a Kickstarter for a new system called castAR described as "bridging the physical world with the virtual worlds; 3D holographic like projections in AR, fully immersive environments in VR" (thanks Eurogamer). Developer Technical Illusions includes Jeri Ellsworth, who worked on Steam hardware betas before being let go by Valve earlier this year, and they are seeking $400K to pursue developing this eyewear:

castAR's projected augmented reality system is comprised of two main components: a pair of glasses and a surface. The frames of the glasses contain two micro-projectors—one for each eye. Each projector casts a perspective view of a stereoscopic 3D image onto the surface. Your eyes focus on this projected image at a very natural and comfortable viewing distance. A tiny camera in-between the projectors scans for infrared identification markers placed on the surface. The camera uses these markers to precisely track your head position and orientation in the physical world, enabling the software to accurately adjust how the holographic scene should appear to you. The glasses get their video signal through an HDMI connection. The camera is connected via a USB port on the PC. We are still experimenting with communication options on mobile devices.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: AR/VR Headset Kickstarter Oct 15, 2013, 20:21 BobBob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

2:28 +

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: AR/VR Headset Kickstarter Oct 15, 2013, 18:07 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Oct 15, 2013, 03:11:
HorrorScope wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 23:52:
Yeah that's pretty interesting as well.

Wonder why Valve didn't see a value?

I think Valve is primarily a software company: making and selling. They decided it was too risky to develop and sell their own hardware. Better to set some standards and let others take that risk.

Quality sarcasm there.

12. Re: AR/VR Headset Kickstarter Oct 15, 2013, 11:08 Suppa7

It's a gimmick, the same thing was tried before with 3D shutter glasses and old videocards. I had an old ASUS geforce /w 3D glasses that I used to play with and the 3D effect is severely eye-straining even when everything is perfectly aligned. The problem is that you really need a VR headset to act like a real screen, not an translucent overlay. i.e. you can't have say a full color overlay over the world without the words light/color seeping/bleeding in.

Similar to how older LCD's have crappy viewing angles from where you can't see the picture. These devices suffer from massive light pollution.

11. Re: AR/VR Headset Kickstarter Oct 15, 2013, 03:11 jdreyer

I think Valve is primarily a software company: making and selling. They decided it was too risky to develop and sell their own hardware. Better to set some standards and let others take that risk.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

10. Re: AR/VR Headset Kickstarter Oct 15, 2013, 03:11 jdreyer

Rea1One wrote on Oct 15, 2013, 02:56:
A novel idea but its not true VR.

Oculus rift & the upcoming Sony PS4 VR headset is the future!

Yeah, it's an overlay for the real world. Think Cameron's contacts in Continuum. When she's talking to a suspect, her contacts bring up overlays with all this info about the suspect: heart rate, voice stress, etc.

9. Re: AR/VR Headset Kickstarter Oct 15, 2013, 02:56 Rea1One

A novel idea but its not true VR.

Oculus rift & the upcoming Sony PS4 VR headset is the future!

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2013, 03:05.

8. Re: AR/VR Headset Kickstarter Oct 15, 2013, 02:08 Kalthorn

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 15, 2013, 00:13:
Completely unappealing compared to something like the Oculus Rift or even Omni treadmill.

The video doesn't expound on it but the KS page shows a clip-on that covers and routes the projector images onto the lenses, apparently allowing for either image+passthrough background (AR) or just the digital image (VR).

No idea how well that works in practice but it might be comparable to the Oculus. The curved lenses in the Oculus might make all the difference though. But at least you wouldn't be tied to their surface thingy.

7. Re: AR/VR Headset Kickstarter Oct 15, 2013, 00:34 Dev

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 23:22:
I have to wonder why she was fired.
I think there was stuff on blues with a little info about that.

6. Re: AR/VR Headset Kickstarter Oct 15, 2013, 00:13 jacobvandy

Because it's a gimmick? At least as far as its application for gaming. The best use I can think of for this kind of thing at the moment is to visualize effects for a physical board or card game, like D&D. Crank up the nerd factor by about 37 points with everyone sitting around a grid-ruled posterboard with these contraptions on their face, lol.

If you took it as far as playing an actual interactive game, controlling a character or units, etc. on your desk or living room floor or whatever, you'd get bored as soon as the novelty wore off because our homes do not ordinarily make for good level design... You'd have to be projecting little backgrounds and layouts, too, and at that point, why not just play a real game with normal 3D glasses?

Whatever image is coming out of these miniature projectors will most certainly look like crap, to boot. I don't doubt it'll require certain surfaces and lighting conditions, etc. for the best experience. Sounds like a pain in the ass to me. Completely unappealing compared to something like the Oculus Rift or even Omni treadmill.

5. Re: AR/VR Headset Kickstarter Oct 14, 2013, 23:52 HorrorScope

4. Re: AR/VR Headset Kickstarter Oct 14, 2013, 23:46 NKD

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 23:22:
I have to wonder why she was fired. Especially how close between the fire date and Valve announcing Steam Box.

Given that the Steam Box is more or less going to be up to manufacturers to design and release with the Steam Box label, my initial guess is that they switched from a first-party solution. You wouldn't need as much engineering talent if that were the case.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2013, 23:42 Rigs

This is actually pretty cool...just think for a second...you put on a headset and all of a sudden, your computer desk becomes a battlefield! Tanks from the 'Inbox Valley' move forward on their way to crushing the forces of the despot who control's the evil 'Notebook Fortress' on the other side of the 'Office Desk Plateau'! And everyone else that puts on a headset sees the same thing, only from their personal persepective...like an eye in the sky as a FARC (forward air control) unit, giving firing orders to the tanks...Or, maybe a shoot out inside your own house?! Like maybe a real-ish GTA? Man, that would rock! One step down from an actual holodeck!

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

2. Re: AR/VR Headset Kickstarter Oct 14, 2013, 23:22 The Half Elf

I have to wonder why she was fired. Especially how close between the fire date and Valve announcing Steam Box.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

1. Re: AR/VR Headset Kickstarter Oct 14, 2013, 21:59 jdreyer

Interesting. They're already more than half way to their goal after 1 day.  

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo