Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
879 Replies. 44 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

699. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 11:42 RollinThundr

Beamer wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 11:33:
RollinThundr wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 11:27:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 11:23:
RollinThundr wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 11:17:
Beamer wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 11:15:
RollinThundr wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 11:14:
You're moving the goalpost, now it's only CEO's don't get fired, a minute ago it was no one in business ever gets fired.

No, no I am not. I am using CEOs as examples because they are high profile and it's easy to look at them - Johnny QA being fired never makes headlines.

But, to your point, in my first paragraph I say "President and VP," neither of whom are CEOs, and in my second paragraph I say "People," who certainly aren't CEOs.

Only my second to last sentence says "CEO." It isn't my fault you can't read and project that to all the lines you read before.

The reason they don't say fired is because they step down to save face, it's the same thing, if the share holders want a change, a change they get. Share holders being people, like you and me.

Lol. Most shareholders have little power over consequences for a CEO. They may step down after a major fuckup, but they're still gonna get paid tens of millions on the way out.

Because their contracts say that I'd imagine. Shareholders have more power than you think however.

When, in the last 40 years, has a change been brought about by shareholders other than someone with 5% or more of the company?
It does not happen.

Your belief in shareholder power is antiquated and naïve. Only a very small amount of shareholders have any power, and these days it's almost exclusively fund managers. Most companies are somewhere between 15% and 33% fund held. Those funds hold power. The hundreds of thousands of other shareholders have no power at all relative to them (interestingly, do you know how tiny a portion of Americans hold any stock at all?)

Much like my believe in the Constitution right? Naive and antiquated?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

698. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 11:36 Sepharo

Ahh shit you guys are posting too fast... we missed the moment.

http://i.imgur.com/RTjbjme.png

697. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 11:33 Beamer

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 11:27:
You're moving the goalpost, now it's only CEO's don't get fired, a minute ago it was no one in business ever gets fired.

No, no I am not. I am using CEOs as examples because they are high profile and it's easy to look at them - Johnny QA being fired never makes headlines.

But, to your point, in my first paragraph I say "President and VP," neither of whom are CEOs, and in my second paragraph I say "People," who certainly aren't CEOs.

Only my second to last sentence says "CEO." It isn't my fault you can't read and project that to all the lines you read before.

The reason they don't say fired is because they step down to save face, it's the same thing, if the share holders want a change, a change they get. Share holders being people, like you and me.

Lol. Most shareholders have little power over consequences for a CEO. They may step down after a major fuckup, but they're still gonna get paid tens of millions on the way out.

Because their contracts say that I'd imagine. Shareholders have more power than you think however.

When, in the last 40 years, has a change been brought about by shareholders other than someone with 5% or more of the company?
It does not happen.

Your belief in shareholder power is antiquated and naïve. Only a very small amount of shareholders have any power, and these days it's almost exclusively fund managers. Most companies are somewhere between 15% and 33% fund held. Those funds hold power. The hundreds of thousands of other shareholders have no power at all relative to them (interestingly, do you know how tiny a portion of Americans hold any stock at all?)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

696. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 11:31 Beamer

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 11:29:
Beamer wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 11:21:

Oh, that's cute, you think you're a shareholder with an opinion that matters!
How much do you have in any one company? A few thousand bucks? Maybe a hundred thousand? No one cares what you think. Do you know who matters? The guy with a few hundred million shares. Even in aggregate you simply do not matter. Headlines are made when a Wall Street Wealth Manager, whose fund has a billion dollars in Apple, criticizes Tim Cook, because that Wealth Manager has enough to shake that tree. No one cares when anyone on this forum is angry.

The fact remains, though, people don't get fired. Even the process of shareholders forcing change is a very lengthy process that can take months or years.

But ah, now you're only talking about CEOs. Shareholders don't care if Johnny QA lets lots of mistakes slip. They don't care if Rita Runsonlyonereport is sloppy in her reporting and has a bad attitude. Do these people ever get fired? No, they get ignored and not-promoted until a round of layoffs is an opportune time to say goodbye. It isn't semantics - firing is a "right now" thing, layoffs require waiting.

More adhoms etc. It's like I said, you can't discuss anything without being a complete and utter douche.

What adhoms? "Oh, that's cute?" That's the only insult there!
And you deserve them for constantly discussing things you do not bother educating yourself on.

Sorry, you will never, ever make a difference as a shareholder. Nor will I. Nor will anyone in this forum. When the large chunks are held by individuals, the smaller chunks are meaningless. No one will ever care about the guy with less than a few million dollars in a company.

-------------

695. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 11:30 Sepharo

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 11:16:
Sepharo wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 11:13:
RollinThundr wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 10:45:
Sepharo wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 10:37:
Prez wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 10:26:
Rolling Thunder, it seems ironic to me that you are quick to deny the label yet you are so quick to call people liars who deny the label you assign them.

He's going to say something about ducks now and that will clear the whole thing up.

It must be terrible for you watching this mess unfold and knowing in the back of your mind the opponents of Obamacare were right.

You should clarify what you mean by "right".
It's had a horrible roll out (though working for a private company making public software I didn't expect it to be good anyway) but I still support it. I really hope you were right about Republicans (bizarrely) wanting single-payer now because I do too. But I suspect that was just some crazy talk and what they really want of course is to defund and dismantle the entire reform, I of course do not support that.

/Instead of your folksy duck saying you went with a folksy one about spades. I can't wait for what's next.

Right about it costing more? Right about people losing their plans?
I still think regulation is the only way to attempt to fix the healthcare system if at all, not government mandates ala obamacare.

It costs more for some and less for others. There were people who thought this was supposed to cost less for everyone? Over the long run it should keep costs down (in comparison to pre-ACA increase) for everyone. The goal was to get health insurance to be affordable for people not poor enough for medicare but not provided insurance from their company or not wealthy enough to buy their own. The other goal was to make tons of improvements to healthcare that the industry wouldn't do on its own. Some of the big ones were "can't be denied or revoked for pre-existing conditions", 80% of intake must go to insurees health, can stay on parents plan until 26, coverage must include *, etc.. Based on your (strange) admission that you're for regulation, I assume you like those reforms and just don't like that we're being forced to buy-in? Well that mandate was the only way to get enough money for those reforms to work and as you know it's based on Romneycare and is good for big-insurance and medical. Single-payer would probably cost more tax dollars and be bad for big business because the government could negotiate lower prices and compete with private plans which would also have to drop prices in response.

694. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 11:29 RollinThundr

Beamer wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 11:21:

How much do you have in any one company? A few thousand bucks? Maybe a hundred thousand? No one cares what you think. Do you know who matters? The guy with a few hundred million shares. Even in aggregate you simply do not matter. Headlines are made when a Wall Street Wealth Manager, whose fund has a billion dollars in Apple, criticizes Tim Cook, because that Wealth Manager has enough to shake that tree. No one cares when anyone on this forum is angry.

The fact remains, though, people don't get fired. Even the process of shareholders forcing change is a very lengthy process that can take months or years.

But ah, now you're only talking about CEOs. Shareholders don't care if Johnny QA lets lots of mistakes slip. They don't care if Rita Runsonlyonereport is sloppy in her reporting and has a bad attitude. Do these people ever get fired? No, they get ignored and not-promoted until a round of layoffs is an opportune time to say goodbye. It isn't semantics - firing is a "right now" thing, layoffs require waiting.

More adhoms etc. It's like I said, you can't discuss anything without being a complete and utter douche.

693. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 11:28 Beamer

Well, in theory that golden parachute serves two purposes:
1) To get them to be willing to take the job. CEO is an apex position, and a short lived one. Despite what you see from celeb CEOs, the average CEO tenure is something like 2 years. And it can be hard to go from being a CEO somewhere to anything anywhere - usually it's CEO then retirement, whether you want it or not. So that parachute is to help convince someone it's good to go from a VP job you can ride for a bit to a job where the clock ticks faster (in truth, VP jobs have a clicking clock, too. The new CEO wants his people. Someone younger is bringing in fresher ideas. Or you were in charge during bad years, which had nothing to do with you, and now that things turned around they want that stigma of older management gone)
2) It rewards risk. You don't want a CEO playing it safe and going for moderate growth afraid he'll fail and be ruined. You want a CEO willing to take chances. That golden parachute is his insurance in chase a risk doesn't pan out. If it pans out, the company gets huge growth. If it doesn't, the company has a bad few years and the CEO gets booted for one that hopefully can change things

Golden parachutes are infuriating and usually too large, but are inherently a good and necessary thing.

Oh look, I'm defending corporations and CEOs! I must be parroting the DNC!

-------------

692. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 11:27 RollinThundr

691. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 11:23 Wowbagger_TIP

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

690. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 11:21 Beamer

-------------

689. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 11:19 Wowbagger_TIP

Rolling Thunder, it seems ironic to me that you are quick to deny the label yet you are so quick to call people liars who deny the label you assign them.

He's going to say something about ducks now and that will clear the whole thing up.

It must be terrible for you watching this mess unfold and knowing in the back of your mind the opponents of Obamacare were right.
Right about what? This is hardly the first government or private IT project to go awry. It may take a few extra months to get it working, but that really has nothing to do with how successful it will be at getting people insured in the long run. We don't tend to judge the success of other programs based on their initial startup, so why do that with this one?

That said, it seems that there were some serious management issues if they found themselves with only a couple of weeks for integration testing.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

688. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 11:17 RollinThundr

687. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 11:16 RollinThundr

Sepharo wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 11:13:

It's had a horrible roll out (though working for a private company making public software I didn't expect it to be good anyway) but I still support it. I really hope you were right about Republicans (bizarrely) wanting single-payer now because I do too. But I suspect that was just some crazy talk and what they really want of course is to defund and dismantle the entire reform, I of course do not support that.

/Instead of your folksy duck saying you went with a folksy one about spades. I can't wait for what's next.

Right about it costing more? Right about people losing their plans?
I still think regulation is the only way to attempt to fix the healthcare system if at all, not government mandates ala obamacare.

686. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 11:15 Beamer

But, to your point, in my first paragraph I say "President and VP," neither of whom are CEOs, and in my second paragraph I say "People," who certainly aren't CEOs. Even with you beating my edits, which mention people being fired below the c-suite, it should be pretty damn obvious that I mean in general. Corporations rarely call someone in and say "sorry, you aren't cutting it, you're gone." Personal misconduct? Yes. Poor performance? No. They shuffle those people around until there's a round of layoffs.

Can someone else support me on this?

-------------

685. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 11:14 RollinThundr

Beamer wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 11:12:
RollinThundr wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 11:08:
The bold is exactly what I mean, total bullshit.

For one, you work in government, not a corporation.
For another, hey, remember when Ken Kutargi screwed up the PS4 launch. Did he get fired? No, he got promoted to a position with no power and no responsibility. Hey, remember when the President of my last company let one of his VPs sign a long term agreement that hindered our growth. Was he fired? No, he (and the VP involved) were promoted to new positions that had no authority and no responsibility.

People get fired for personal misconduct, like sleeping with an admin. People very rarely get fired for screwing up. It's just not how it works. Blame lawyers, if you must, but in the past five years I can only remember one guy being fired for performance, and everyone was shocked. Everyone else just gets either gets all their power and responsibility removed so that they leave, or they get laid off (which is in no way the same thing as being fired.)

Hey, who was the last CEO fired? I remember a ton resigning (and often remaining on the board), but I can't remember many being sent packing. The Men's Warehouse guy, I suppose.

684. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 11:13 Sepharo

683. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 11:12 Beamer

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 11:08:

For one, you work in government, not a corporation.
For another, hey, remember when Ken Kutargi screwed up the PS4 launch. Did he get fired? No, he got promoted to a position with no power and no responsibility. Hey, remember when the President of my last company let one of his VPs sign a long term agreement that hindered our growth. Was he fired? No, he (and the VP involved) were promoted to new positions that had no authority and no responsibility.

People get fired for personal misconduct, like sleeping with an admin. People very rarely get fired for screwing up. It's just not how it works. Blame lawyers, if you must, but in the past five years I can only remember one guy being fired for performance, and everyone was shocked. Everyone else just gets either gets all their power and responsibility removed so that they leave, or they get laid off (which is in no way the same thing as being fired. Being laid off is "well, we're cutting the workforce by 10%, and you're part of that 10%, sorry," being fired is being called into your bosses office, told to you're let go, being escorted out by security, and having the admin pack your stuff in a box and mail it to your house.)

Hey, who was the last CEO fired? I remember a ton resigning (and often remaining on the board), but I can't remember many being sent packing. The Men's Warehouse guy, I suppose.

-------------

682. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 11:09 Beamer

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 11:05:

If you truly believe that Beamer, why do you constantly support the democrats? It defies logic.

Ok, again, examples. Show me examples of where I support the DNC.
I've posted dozens of examples of me saying the government is terrible, every politician is self-interested, and Obama is not a good president.

Post one single quote where I say "I like Democrats" or "The DNC is doing a good job." Just one.

The issue, maybe, is also one with the Executive Actions - not only do you not read, but you "read between the lines" to things that just do not exist. I am liberal on many social issues, it's true, but I'm not overly liberal on economics issues.
Somehow you think advocating equality means you're a huge fan of Democrats.

-------------

681. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 11:08 RollinThundr

Beamer wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 11:06:
Sepharo wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 10:48:
Mad Max RW wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 10:38:
Sebelius just admitted "adequate" testing was never done before launch. She also admits they don't know the enrollment numbers because the system isn't working. Minutes earlier she said it never crashed and was functioning. Yeah, Obama will be accepting her resignation before the end of the year.

She probably should resign or be fired but unfortunately I don't think that can happen. If she's out, congress will need to approve of the new appointee and the republicans will likely block all appointees because that's how they do. I'm not sure when the next time a recess appointment can be made but if that's the route Obama takes they'll rant and rave about that too of course.

She can't be fired now. Same reason she couldn't be in a business. At this point only she understands how she made the mess she made, so only she can fix it. If you fire her, you lose time replacing her, then lose time while the replacement figures out what went wrong, then lose time while the replacement makes changes (which are often likely to be sweeping.)

No, you do what would happen if she was a project manager or exec at a company - you make her fix it and fix it quickly, then you fire her. But companies never really fire anyone, so more likely you push her into a new position that has no power or responsibility, because that's how I've seen every single corporation I've been at do it (sadly.)

680. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 11:06 Beamer

Sepharo wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 10:48:
Mad Max RW wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 10:38:
Sebelius just admitted "adequate" testing was never done before launch. She also admits they don't know the enrollment numbers because the system isn't working. Minutes earlier she said it never crashed and was functioning. Yeah, Obama will be accepting her resignation before the end of the year.

She probably should resign or be fired but unfortunately I don't think that can happen. If she's out, congress will need to approve of the new appointee and the republicans will likely block all appointees because that's how they do. I'm not sure when the next time a recess appointment can be made but if that's the route Obama takes they'll rant and rave about that too of course.

She can't be fired now. Same reason she couldn't be in a business. At this point only she understands how she made the mess she made, so only she can fix it. If you fire her, you lose time replacing her, then lose time while the replacement figures out what went wrong, then lose time while the replacement makes changes (which are often likely to be sweeping.)

No, you do what would happen if she was a project manager or exec at a company - you make her fix it and fix it quickly, then you fire her. But companies never really fire anyone, so more likely you push her into a new position that has no power or responsibility, because that's how I've seen every single corporation I've been at do it (sadly.)

-------------

879 Replies. 44 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo