Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Console Emulation Through Steam

The Ice Emulator is a homebrew project to allow gamers to be able to play emulated console games through Steam to take advantage of Steam's Big Picture mode. The game's GitHub repository has files, details, legal details, and more, including instructions on what emulators are required and how ROM support works. Currently this supports NES, SNES, N64. GameCube, PS1, PS2, Genesis, Gameboy, and GBA, and they are working on support for Wii, Dreamcast, and DS. Thanks Ant via reddit.

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

55. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 21, 2013, 09:48 avianflu

You have to go to the discussion board for more info. There is no actual "article" to read as far as I can see.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 15, 2013, 15:54 Verno

Yeah exactly. It's literally just a program that builds Steam shortcuts to run the emulators. I could do it myself with a batch file if I was less lazy. Valve has nothing to do with it and shares no legal liability for it.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

53. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 15, 2013, 13:37 jacobvandy

avianflu wrote on Oct 15, 2013, 09:23:
Some good points jacob, but from Steam's POV why bother with the potential legal hassle of an app that plays game ROMS -- that are still the legal property of game companies? There is nothing in it for Steam, but hassle.

i.e. SEGA sells emulations of their own games on Steam so they wouldnt be thrilled with Steam selling an indie gamer emulator.

Lol, it's time for you to RTFA, friend. It's not being sold on Steam, it's not even an app that you use to play ROMs. It's a batch of simple commands to streamline the process of adding these games to your own personal, local library.

52. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 15, 2013, 09:23 avianflu

Some good points jacob, but from Steam's POV why bother with the potential legal hassle of an app that plays game ROMS -- that are still the legal property of game companies? There is nothing in it for Steam, but hassle.

i.e. SEGA sells emulations of their own games on Steam so they wouldnt be thrilled with Steam selling an indie gamer emulator.

51. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 15, 2013, 09:14 Verno

NKD wrote on Oct 15, 2013, 00:13:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 05:59:
I'd say piracy is pretty far down the list, since most people here don't pirate. Your comment might provide insight into your mindset though.

Oh really? Most people here don't pirate? Please. On Blue's, most of us were probably copying that floppy when copying that floppy was still a thing.

Speak for yourself. The pricing and convenience on Steam make piracy pretty silly these days, I can't even remember the last thing I pirated it's been so long.

As for emulation and console ROMs, most are abandoned and I do make an effort to own a copy of games that I emulate. Most of the time my emulation is based on convenience factors like having it all run off the HTPC so I don't have to hook up everything in my entertainment center. I still own a working NES, SNES, PS1, PS2, etc.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

50. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 15, 2013, 00:39 Dev

ForgedReality wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 10:00:
Nope. Never going to happen. Ever.
Then again, there's those sega arcade classics sold on steam.

49. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 15, 2013, 00:13 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 05:59:
I'd say piracy is pretty far down the list, since most people here don't pirate. Your comment might provide insight into your mindset though.

Oh really? Most people here don't pirate? Please. On Blue's, most of us were probably copying that floppy when copying that floppy was still a thing.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

48. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 14, 2013, 14:08 jacobvandy

avianflu wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 13:43:
i seriously doubt the Steam execs will allow it for long.

Allow what? Adding non-Steam games or applications to your library as simple shortcuts? Because if you disallow this, you have to disallow it all. The reason they allowed that in the first place is to increase the amount of time people stay logged in to Steam and with the overlay running, thereby increasing their usage of Steam features. What possible reason could they have for going back on that? What is their liability? How would you even know that people are truly even playing what it says they are, since you can name shortcuts anything? (I've seen people troll their friends with "Now Playing Grand Theft Auto V" or whatever other yet-unreleased title they want.)

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2013, 14:14.

47. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 14, 2013, 13:43 avianflu

i seriously doubt the Steam execs will allow it for long.  

46. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 14, 2013, 13:30 Redmask

ForgedReality wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 09:55:
Lululul. Gamer nerds acting like they're knowledgeable lawyers ITT. XD

Oh, internets. You're so silly!

Says the guy typing 'lul' on the internet.

45. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 14, 2013, 10:21 HorrorScope

NKD wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 02:37:
piracy is the #1 selling point of PC gaming for the poor.

Expanded upon...

44. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 14, 2013, 10:00 ForgedReality

Pigeon wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 09:17:
I expect the console makers to react to this, specially if it becomes popular. Bringing it to Steam makes more mainstream, which means more people downloading illegal ROMs. Now if the big console companies were smart they'd sell their own digital copies to be played on the emulators. $5 a game for something they created 15+ years ago = easy revenue. Adding some light DRM via Steam would probably take very little effort.

This will never work. These decades-old games probably still have licensing clauses attached to them, and the "console makers" don't own those rights.

Those who developed/distributed the game likely won't want to have their products played in a less-than-ideal situation. Playing games through emulation has its own inherent issues that would represent a less refined experience that the license holders probably wouldn't be okay with because it makes them and their product look bad.

This is to say nothing of support issues that would crop up when users encounter problems and then expect someone to be there to help them because they bought the game.

This is a niche market, and most people won't even bother with it. Certainly not enough to really be profitable, even if they somehow managed to overcome the problems I outlined above. Licensing/support/additional overhead--all of these things cost money.

Nope. Never going to happen. Ever.

43. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 14, 2013, 09:55 ForgedReality

Lululul. Gamer nerds acting like they're knowledgeable lawyers ITT. XD

Oh, internets. You're so silly!

42. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 14, 2013, 09:17 Pigeon

I expect the console makers to react to this, specially if it becomes popular. Bringing it to Steam makes more mainstream, which means more people downloading illegal ROMs. Now if the big console companies were smart they'd sell their own digital copies to be played on the emulators. $5 a game for something they created 15+ years ago = easy revenue. Adding some light DRM via Steam would probably take very little effort.  

41. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 14, 2013, 07:56 Julio

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 13, 2013, 21:26:
And why are you omitting parts of the text anyway?

Because there is an entire page of text which I assume everyone would rather see at the link than me post it all here. A lot of the posters haven't read it as they post the same pro-piracy arguments that are refuted at the link. Why does Nintendo's legal stance matter? Because the Ice Emulator shows lots of Nintendo screenshots on their webpage, so it's quite relevant.

I really don't care if some of you are software pirates, just be honest about it.

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2013, 08:28.

40. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 14, 2013, 06:41 InBlack

Rattlehead wrote on Oct 13, 2013, 13:31:
lol, do you honestly expect anyone to get the roms legally? Stop insulting our intelligence, everyone downloads their roms, despite what you say. It's like those warez groups who put a little txt file that says "if you like this game, buy it and support the developers."

Emulation is piracy because everyone just pirates their ROMs.

What a fail argument. Thats like saying the worldwide web is piracy because everyone just downloads their warez thrugh that.

I have a nifty blue line!

39. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 14, 2013, 06:08 Fletch

Why are we arguing about piracy? I mean jesus christ piracy is the #1 selling point of PC gaming, whether it be emulation or native titles, and it always has been. No one cares.
Well... speak for yourself. What a dumb statement. I counter it with "braindead, button-mashing gameplay is the #1 selling point of console gaming".

38. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 14, 2013, 05:59 jdreyer

Why are we arguing about piracy? I mean jesus christ piracy is the #1 selling point of PC gaming, whether it be emulation or native titles, and it always has been. No one cares.

What the fuck are you talking about? People get into PC gaming for a lot of reasons.
- It offers the highest variety of games.
- It offers niche games found nowhere else.
- It allows for mods.
- It's compatible going back 30 years.
- It offers the best and continuously improving performance.
- It offers games at the best price points.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

37. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 14, 2013, 02:37 NKD

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

36. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 14, 2013, 01:37 Redmask

Dev wrote on Oct 13, 2013, 19:01:
And yet, there are guides on getting a rom extracted from an owned cartridge so one can legally have it.
Just because YOU do all that you said, doesn't mean that every single other person does too.

This is pretty dubious, look most people download roms, they don't dump them. That's ok though, most of these games aren't even sold anymore and if the companies care enough then they go around armed with the DMCA after the rom sites themselves, not the people downloading them. People downloading old games is a great fucking thing as far as I'm concerned, the more people exposed to older game design the better as many of my favorite games are considered abandonware.

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo